What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Greywulfken, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (629) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Remind me where in AR you're at? (not related to this post, just wondered, since I visit AR often. ...Well, pre-covid.)

Premo88 and russpowell like this.
  2. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,468) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

3. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,438) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Might as well say Fayetteville, Farmington

Premo88 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  4. russpowell

Society Trader

The last of my Elijah Craig 92 Proof. I will need to pick a winner next time as the two bottles I have left are not on this level. It is complimenting this Urban Chestnut Thrailes Ale RIS nicely

jrc1093, StoutElk_92, TheGent and 3 others like this.
  5. Beer_Economicus

Trader

My buddy lives in Harrison (well, not for much longer), and when I'm around I am usually down in the Buffalo River area. Love it down there. Once in awhile I make it over to Fayetteville. Always get my fill (but probably go overboard) eating at Whataburger.

Last year I was nearby at the Wal-Mart building; we had a conference on the second floor. Was cozy, and a nice area. Great Pizza at a place there, but can't recall the name.

russpowell and Premo88 like this.
  6. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,951) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Tiny pour to finish off this Cowboys-Rams B.S.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

7. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Crusader (783) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

Bulleit Bourbon

[​IMG]

Cheers

8. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,946) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Having some Weller Special Reserve wheated bourbon tonight. Got this bottle over a year ago for $35. Smoother now than ever I think, with sweet caramelized candied dried fruit taste, mild orange peel, toffee, caramel, butterscotch, woody oak, warming spice, smooth wheat, malt, and floral essences. I don't drink hard liquor often but this is nice on occasion. Cheers everyone and happy bourbon drinking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

champ103, jkblr, Premo88 and 7 others like this.
  9. russpowell

Society Trader

Maker's Mark 46 along side an American Solera Black Metal Imperial Stout

champ103, Greywulfken, jkblr and 8 others like this.
  10. russpowell

Society Trader

Left Hand White Russian Nitro Stout along side 2 fingers of of Old Garand Dad 114 with 3 ice cubes, fight me!

11. russpowell

Society Trader

Old Grand Dad, damn, my non-typing arse!

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  12. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,440) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Finally taking a minute to put a couple drops of water in this one and let it open up...
    [​IMG]
    I've been drinking it straight with beer, but this is really good on its own. Slightly smokey, oaky apple pie. Cheers all!

13. russpowell

Society Trader

Maker's Mark 46 giving big help to an Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin ale. I like this 46, nice honey & oak notes.

14. Beer_Economicus

Trader

After a long week with an unexpected work trip (an "emergency" for a client), that left me without service as the location was extremely rural WV...I'm up late again working, and thought I'd finally open this bottle from my brother-in-law. He thinks Remus is just some of the best juice on the shelf. Only a couple sips in, but not sure I agree with all that. The higher-rye content is apparent on the taste.

[​IMG]

15. russpowell

Society Trader

Maker's Mark 46 along side a Boulevard Rye on Rye with Maple Syrup

16. russpowell

Society Trader

Old Grand Dad 114 accompanying an Urban Chestnut Thrales Ale RIS.

champ103, jrc1093, TheGent and 4 others like this.
  17. Premo88

Society

[​IMG]
    Drinking beer and decided I needed a spot of bourbon. The beer is 11 Below's Hipster Sauce IPA. The bourbon is caramel cotton candy liquified and bottled by Buffalo Trace. This whiskey NEVER tastes this sweet, but side-by-side the hoppy IPA it's like candy.

Cheers!

18. jkblr

Society Trader

Neck pour on this new old brand from Jim Beam
    [​IMG]
    Old Tub bottled in bond. Used to be distillery only in 375mL bottles, but a limited run of 750s were sent to several states recently. There is definitely a Jim Beam commonality here, which is unfortunate for me as we have some bad history. I'll let the bottle settle a bit before offering opinion. Cheers all!

19. russpowell

Society Trader

Maker's Mark 46 REALLY helping this Elysian Night Owl along. A nice pairing actually

20. Premo88

Society

My best buddy Huevos the puppy dog passed onto the next plane earlier this week, and I bought a bottle of bourbon to remember him by — first whiskey I've tried that was distilled in Bryan-College Station, TX (home of Huevos' time-share vacation home :slight_smile:):
    [​IMG]
    Huevos made it to 11 years old, which feels way too short right now, but those were 11 fun ones!
    [​IMG]
    Adios, little buddy!

Cheers!

21. scream

scream Meyvn (1,270) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Cheers to Huevos Rest easy little pup !

22. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,064) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Tipping an Old Granddad 114 to Huevos.

jrc1093, TheGent, russpowell and 3 others like this.
  23. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (150) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Damn Bro, so sorry for your loss. Huevos had become the mascot of this bourbon thread. RIP little buddy!

jrc1093, Premo88 and Bigrock like this.
  24. russpowell

Society Trader

Here's to Huevos! Also with Old Grandad 114 & an Elysian Dark O' the Moon Pumpkin Stout

25. Premo88

Society

Thanks, fellas! Huevos made several appearances here on BA.com, mostly on NBS/WBAYDN, so I figured a toast was appropriate.

I don't typically sip/drink from one bottle at a time, but last night I tried to get as deep into Huevos' bottle of bourbon as made responsible sense. I didn't get as far as Corey would've (as in I didn't finish the first and start a second bottle:stuck_out_tongue:), but considering I started the evening with a couple drams of Monkey Shoulder, I felt like approaching the halfway mark of the Rio Brazos Single Barrel did the little monkey proud:
    [​IMG]
    Onward and upwards!

26. russpowell

Society Trader

Finishing this Wild Turkey Long Branch with an American Solera Black is Beautiful Imp Stout

27. russpowell

Society Trader

Old Grandad 114 with some local stuff that needs help; New Province Mindful Hive honey rye ale

TimG_0913, Premo88, jkblr and 4 others like this.
  28. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (450) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

29. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,064) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

They definitely ruffled some feathers with that one. What do you think of it? Especially compared to the Quality House?

TimG_0913 and Premo88 like this.
  30. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (450) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

great question. first let me be honest, i've had the old Heaven Hill sporadically but it was never in my market, AFAIK. so i don't have the kind of long, decorated history with it for the comparison some of the more offended have.

only my second visit, i think this is a good pour. i understand the outrage. given the current market, i think it's worth the $40. that's debatable, i'm sure but i'm not mad.

TimG_0913, Premo88, jkblr and 2 others like this.
  31. russpowell

Society Trader

A couple of fingers of Old Forester Single Barrel 90 proof, supposedly made exclusive for the chain of liquor stores I went today ( Macadoodles ). This was $ 43.00 for 750 mL. Nice honey & butterscotch notes, a bit hot even with 3 ice cubes

TimG_0913, Premo88, jkblr and 4 others like this.
  32. jkblr

Society Trader

Another budget Bottled in Bond sees it's (sorta) last pour
    [​IMG]
    I actually put 4 ounces in a sample bottle today to hold until my final shootout later this winter. I will be opening the JTS Brown soon and still need to grab a bottle of Evan Williams.

I'm not sure this Old Bardstown is twice as good as some other BiB offerings, but it's still a nice bottle for $25.

33. Premo88

Society

Nice! I have a stockpile of Glenfarclases in 2 oz. bottles for the 2nd annual Glenfarclas Christmas Shootout later this year. :grin: I'm curious how your shootout will go ... and obviously you have to let us know what you think of the Evan Williams.

Heel slaying my first but definitely not my last bottle of this beauty:
    [​IMG]
    Never thought I'd love a JD product so much, but this one is awfully good. I'm sure I'll buy another bottle of it down the road.

Cheers!

34. Premo88

Society

Winding down my "Sunday":
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

35. jkblr

Society Trader

Trying to finish this one
    [​IMG]
    JW Dant bottled in bond by Heaven Hill
    It's a weird profile for a bourbon. Banana, nuts and oak are common descriptors and opinions seem to vary widely. It can be distilled at any one of six distilleries, but because it's bonded, this information must be on the label. Mine was distilled in Louisville by Heaven Hill and bottled at the Bardstown plant. It will be interesting to compare it to the other two HH brand BiB bottles that I have on hand.

russpowell, TheGent, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  36. adrock314

adrock314 Champion (834) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Loving this bottle. Trying my hardest to make it last.
    [​IMG]

jkblr, Premo88, russpowell and 3 others like this.
  37. russpowell

Society Trader

Old Forester Single Barrel 90 proof along side a Founders Big Luscious Chocolate Raspberry Stout

38. Premo88

Society

Enjoying our first real cold front in the back yard after the late shift:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    53º with a wind-chill of 50º isn't cold for a lot of you, but it's almost chilly after spending the better part of four months in 90+. I should probably barbecue this weekend to soak it up. :thinking_face::thinking_face::thinking_face:

Cheers!

39. Premo88

Society

This one never disappoints:
    [​IMG]
    Rewatching some Scotch Test Dummy barrel-proof bourbon shootouts.

Cheers!

40. BAllen88

BAllen88 Initiate (25) Oct 23, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Apologies in advance if there’s a better thread for this question: I’m a bourbon novice , long time beer enthusiast, and I noticed a lot of posts here of people sipping on both in the same sitting. Is this just a matter of preference or is there something else behind it? Thanks!

Premo88 likes this.