What brewers are making the best New England IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoptualBrew, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

Interested to see what your favorite NEIPA brewers are. With the style exploding across the country, and brewers from New England to California, Louisiana, Florida, Virginia, etc.. brewing the style, who are your top NEIPA producers?

Some names that come to mind for me, in no particular order, are:

Hill Farmstead - Trillium - Tree House - Tired Hands - Lawson's Finest - The Alchemist - Other Half - Bissell Brothers - The Veil - Aslin - Monkish - Civil Society - Great Notion - Parish - Grimm - Fiddlehead - Hoof Hearted

So what are your thoughts? Top 5? Etc...

2. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

I have only had NEIPA's from the first three you list here as well as Heady Topper and Focal Banger from The Alchemist but I have found them to be pretty damn good. Julius stood out particularly to me for its cloudy, bright orange appearance, its citrus smell, and the citrusy, zesty, bitter fruit taste reminiscent of fresh squeezed fruit juice. One of the more amazing beers (IMHO) I have had the luck to sample. Modern Times from California's 'Accumulated Knowledge', follows the style and is a very good interpretation of it. While technically a Pale Ale, Drumroll from O'Dell is also a very hazy NE style, but it does not come close to the aforementioned beers IMO. I know it is becoming a hot topic in the brewing world, especially in Colorado and California I expect to see a lot more of it in the near future. Cheers!

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Of the breweries listed I have only had beers from Hill Farmstead and Tired Hands.

I absolutely love Hill Farmstead hoppy beers but IMO (my personal definition) the Hill Farmstead hoppy beers are not of the so called "NE" style IPA.

I have had many brands of Tired Hands hoppy beers and I think they produce high quality so called "NE" style IPAs.

Cheers!

4. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Grand Pooh-Bah (3,586) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Of those mentioned my favorites have been from Bissell and Other Half. I've enjoyed the few I've had from Tired Hands. Have to agree with Jack in that I love Hill Farmstead but I don't know if it's NE style beer. Meanwhile, Conclave, a small brewery near me, brews a NE style IPA, called Gravitational Waves, that just my be my favorite of all.

5. TheMeadgician

TheMeadgician Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2015 California

Moonraker Brewing in Auburn, California is making some awesome New England Style IPA's. YOJO IPA and DOJO IIPA are both fantastic and after starting off on draft only, just had their first canning run!

6. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

To your already-formidable list I would add a few of my favorites:
    - Sole Artisanal Ales: Juicebox
    - Sloop: Juice Bomb
    - Beer'd

None of these have reached the quality of Tired Hands though...but always fun to try new ones! I love the style.

7. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Modern Times has entered the fray in a big way w this one. Total orange juice bomb. More Trillium/HF than Alchemist/Bissell Bros
    [​IMG]

8. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cellarmaker
    Modern Times
    Moonraker

And from what I hear (not personal experience) Monkish.

nvbrew, atomicpunk5151 and porkinator like this.
  9. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Gibbs 100 Brewing in Greensboro has had Greensboro Pale Ale for a while. It fits the profile, but I always just thought it to be a really nice ale. A very satisfying beer!

JimKal likes this.
  10. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You need to try MT Blam Blam, My $0.02

chipawayboy likes this.
  11. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

I'd love to try some of the interpretations from "away" but have only had Other Half from outside of NE. I've had a cosinderable portion of the ones brewed within New England. Other Halfs All Citra Everything and Double Mosaic Dream were the closest to many of the New England brews, but lacked the comparatively huge aromas. Great beer no doubt though and I'd drink it any day. I prefer Trillium on the whole over the other hoperations up here, but in the end though I think we have reached the pinnacle, I can drive in any direction and get great beer.

jimboothdesigns and jakecattleco like this.
  12. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

I have to disagree wholeheartedly. I think HF, along with The Alchemist, were the creators of the style. Perhaps, they are not the "juice" that we see today from Tree Hoyse, Trillium, etc... but they were putting out soft, juicy, hazy IPA before anyone.

And if you disagree, please show me where I'm wrong good sir!

13. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

OP did a nice job capturing the current top ones that are out there. I had a beer or 2 from few of them. Here is my rank order from the OP's list:
    Tier 1: HF, Alchemist, Aslin
    Tier 2: Fiddlehead, The Veil, Trillium, Lawson's Finest

Splitting hairs amongst many so I thought more fair to group in tiers.

14. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sweet fancy Moses Jack....they must lose their NE style over the roads from Greensboro Bend to PA....:grinning:

edward_boumil likes this.
  15. SMason

SMason Zealot (653) Feb 6, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

My picks -
    Hill Farmstead
    Alchemist
    Trillium
    Tree House
    Other Half

Honorable Mention - Hoof Hearted, Veil, Monkish, Bissel

16. MA_hops

MA_hops Initiate (0) May 18, 2015 Vermont

A few new breweries to seek out if you're ever in VT: Foam Brewers in Burlington VT, Frost Beer Works in Hinesburg VT, River Roost Brewing in White River Junction VT - all of them make NE IPA's among other styles of beer and all of them are very good.

17. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

No real need for me to respond since you already addressed this.

Cheers!

McMatt7 and TongoRad like this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

I have absolutely no idea what you are communicating here but a :grinning: right back achacha!!

Cheers!

19. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Pooh-Bah (2,224) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've been meaning to inquire since I tried it a week ago but really didn't want to make a whole thread for a possibly easy answered question -

Is enjoy by unfiltered comparable in flavor and style to "neipas"? I've never had ANY of the ones mentioned in this thread. Enjoy by unfiltered blew me away and was unlike any other ipa/dipa I've ever had. It certainly fits the bill for appearance right? Is it similar to the heavy hitters mentioned in this thread? If so I may rethink my stance on not being a "hophead" if similar taste is found in these beers...

20. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland

I'd recommend checking it out for yourself. Where are you in Pennsylvania? If you're in the western half, hit The Brew Gentlemen in Pittsburgh. If you're in the eastern half, hit Tired Hands outside of Philly. Either of those would give you a great experience for the NE IPA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.