What brewery continues to disappoint you every time you try them and you are ready to give up on?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by oriolesfan4, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oriolesfan4

oriolesfan4 Apr 16, 2008 Maryland
    Society

For me, almost everything I've tried from North Coast or Trappist Rochefort (sorry), to name a few, have consistently let me down. What breweries never seemed to live up to the hype for you?

Greywulfken likes this.
  2. Jugs_McGhee

Jugs_McGhee Aug 15, 2010 Australia
    Society Trader

Disappointment requires high expectations - or at least expectations consistently above the actual quality of the beer. Right? So Stone is out...

Hmm. I guess...um...Green Flash?

andilane, djrn2, Cohasset and 4 others like this.
  3. jolly_lynch

jolly_lynch Feb 27, 2014 Arizona

Rogue, everything is just meh.

4. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Jul 27, 2013 Georgia

Founders. Every beer except their imperial stout has disappointed me. FBS, porter, dirty bastard, double and curmudgean ale were all very disappointing. Have yet to try KBS but i'm not convinced that it can completely change my opinion on that brewery.

5. BKBassist

BKBassist Jan 24, 2013 New York

Widmer and Magic Hat spring immediately to mind. I appreciate both as being a well distributed and run gateway to good beer, but each time they try to create something that seemingly sounds great, it has so much of a "house flavor" I can't get over it. Upheaval was this close to beating that. But it failed.

Flying Dog is close to treading in this territory, but they win me over with the occasional great brew like BA Gonzo or the Imperial Single Hop Series.

6. mudbug

mudbug Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

charlzm, Zorro, KevSal and 1 other person like this.
  7. Theniz

Theniz Nov 13, 2012 Indiana

Sun King, everyone here goes apeshit over them, most of their offerings are mediocre at best

8. mudbug

mudbug Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

9. jolly_lynch

jolly_lynch Feb 27, 2014 Arizona

I have, and it was a damn good barleywine, but the price was a bit extravagant. Granted I bought a 2010 vintage 7 oz. for $5, but I thought it would be significantly more rewarding than it was. Certainly nothing to stick my nose up at, however, for it is a formidable BW.

hoptheology and HopNuggets like this.
  10. ahbithwabm

ahbithwabm Apr 27, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

solemn oath. I keep hearing great things about them but everything I've tried has beed mediocre to bad.

11. 77black_ships

77black_ships Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Brewdog. Not terrible but they are never impressive and every beer feels like a wasted opportunity. I still try them when offered or there is nothing else new to try. I have had 53 Brewdog beers so far, I have been impressed 5 times so far (2 of those times were small batches which they discontinued because they didn’t see them as being marketable) & everything else just fell short.

I have had 5 AleSmith beers so far, I have no absolutely no idea as to why everyone else is so impressed by them. They are not bad, they are just very middling and boring. Horny Devil was a waste. I should be getting a BA Speedway soon maybe that will change my opinion of them. So far I have had My Bloody Valentine, Old Numbskull, Horny Devil, YuleSMith, Decadence 2011 & Speedway. I decided to get the BA Speedway out of mild curiosity but won’t be buying or trading for anything else of theirs.

12. hopley

hopley Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Magic Hat - just don't like most of what I try from them. Still on the fence on Maine's Rising Tide but they might be entering that same territory. Think both have to do with their choice of hops.

13. texasalec

texasalec Jul 18, 2013 Texas

14. dennis3951

dennis3951 Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

They don't continue to disappoint me for long. Unless it's free I won't try anything from Rouge for example.

15. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Some of my favorites being mentioned here.

16. SpaceEurope

SpaceEurope Dec 26, 2012 New Jersey

17. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

18. Kadonny

Kadonny Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Trader

Continues to disappoint means I had some hope for them, that leaves out Magic Hat and Rogue. I guess I'd have to say Lancaster Brewing locally, and probably Ithaca on a larger scale. The only beer from Ithaca that I like is Flower Power, the rest of their stuff I've had has been meh at best. Shame too, because I DO expect more from them.

Bencooper27 likes this.
  19. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Founders and Southern Tier for me. Founders doesn't hold up to the hype, just meh for me. ST would have to work hard to make up to meh status.

20. HRamz3

HRamz3 Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Five bucks is extravagant?!

21. SpaceEurope

For a 7 oz? I'll pay $5 for a 12 oz of Jacobins but not for a 7 oz of anything, although I bought a single Lower de Boom last week for $3

22. CRon_T

CRon_T Mar 14, 2014 Florida

Rogue would be mine as well. Like other people have said, its not that the beer is terrible, but it is one of those breweries that I just can't get myself to pay for

23. marleyr

marleyr Feb 25, 2014 South Carolina

Southern Tier, Rogue, Unibroue

ScottyTheBeerGuy and shnsajax like this.
  24. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Already given up on Rogue, Stone, and New Belgium. About ready to give up on Oskar Blues (outside of Ten FIDY of course).

nbanyard87 likes this.
  25. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Man, I don't get people choosing Stone. Smoked Porter, Enjoy By, Espresso IRS....these are tasty brews!

26. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Horny Goat. I probably should have never given them a try based on their name, but I've tried their entire lineup and was mildly annoyed at each and every beer, with the exception of their Watermelon Wheat. Also, Abita consistently disappoints me, although they have a few beers that I like (Grapefruit IPA, Jockamo IPA).

I'd like to keep "high hopes" out of this equation, I only try all these beers for reviewing purposes, so with the mindset of trying each beer under a no expectations policy, they were still all disappointing.

27. PghBeerAlien

PghBeerAlien Feb 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Agreed on Southern Tier. Their offerings are relatively expensive in PA and I'm tired of wasting money on being disappointed.

jlitt8276 and MorgothBauglir like this.
  28. marleyr

marleyr Feb 25, 2014 South Carolina

If you like Belgians, New Belgium Trippel and Abbey are very good. Especially for $7-9 a 6pk.

29. keithmurray

keithmurray Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

I don't get the hate for Unibroue, Ommegang or Southern Tier.

My vote goes to Smuttynose. Other than their Maibock, I haven't been impressed with any of their offerings

30. rozzom

rozzom Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I don't understand these threads.

And Rochefort? Come on

BDEE, andilane, cducap and 64 others like this.
  31. SpaceEurope

Because it's more fun to dislike the breweries that appear to have huge success and rave reviews (though I, too, don't understand the Unibroue hate).

32. king75

king75 Jul 27, 2010 Michigan

Flying Dog. I bought one variety 12 pack from them a few years back and none of the beers impressed. Both me and my friend who split the pack thought that many of the beers had this metallic like off flavoring. Maybe it was old beer, but with all the good breweries out there at more affordable prices in my area I am going to have to pass.

33. audioserf

audioserf Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

Long Trail, Saranac, and Blue Point may as well all be one generic, forgettable East Coast brewery if you ask me. Long Trail Libmo being the outlier from this grouping.

34. JCam9981

JCam9981 Nov 30, 2011 North Carolina

Rogue. I've just stopped buying anything from them. Also (and I'm ready for the trolls) Hair of The Dog. Everything I've had from them has been a a confusing mess.

35. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I saw some of their stuff & thought "gimmicky".

Every once in a while Abita spits out one I like, but the odds are usually against it...

djsmith1174 and JuicesFlowing like this.
  36. HRamz3

HRamz3 Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

For a 7oz barleywine, that is alreayd 3 years old? Sorry, but if you think that is too much, you might want to wade back into the BCM aisle. Have you ever been to a bar??

37. JDice20

JDice20 Aug 14, 2013 Louisiana

I have come to the conclusion that most people just love bitching about something.

38. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

Brooklyn & Clown Shoes. New Belgium too.

JD_Bogerdy likes this.
  39. SpaceEurope

I've been screwed by getting some high-priced bottles in the past that are nowhere near as good as what I've paid for them (Exception: Lost Abbey Red Poppy for 15.99). Bar prices are higher than usual for a variety of reasons, so I don't see why you're bringing that up.

40. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

I'm not really in third grade, I don't dislike successful people, quite the opposite, they are who have made the country what it is and provided job opportunities for all of us. I really don't like ST's beer no matter how many I try.

miketd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.