What brewery continues to disappoint you every time you try them and you are ready to give up on?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by oriolesfan4, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sicilian

sicilian Initiate (169) Sep 30, 2008 Florida

Other than the standard 90/120 IPA's, DogFish Head stuff is just too weird for me

warrendietrich2001 likes this.
  2. BushDoctor

BushDoctor Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2007 New York

If you like hoppy brown ales their Muddy was pretty good. Recently had finest kind, I've had it before, but was letdown, maybe I got an old sixer

3. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

I think a big part of the hype is that is it costs $4 for a pretty good coffee imp stout 22oz.

4. jlsims04

Waaaahhhtttt? Their stuff is incredible.

5. jlsims04

Rogue, Victory, Smuttynose (except imp stout), Schafly. I think are my big 4

6. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

I have to go with Duck Rabbit. I like many of their beers, but they just can't seem to solve their infection issues. And they refuse to acknowledge them publicly.

7. Helgy

Helgy Initiate (0) May 22, 2014 Minnesota

Rouge, Magic Hat, Boulder beer company, New Belgium

8. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Poo-Bah (1,874) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Boulevard The Sixth Glass - 22 IBU; Dark Truth Stout - 60 IBU; Long Strange Tripel - 23 IBU; Tank 7 - 38 IBU

9. Tanktizzo

Tanktizzo Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

Stone, Rogue, Only Child. Only Child is just dupes of other breweries beer.

10. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,126) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

80 Acre - 20 IBU. Tell me that one isn't hoppy.

11. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Poo-Bah (1,874) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Don't know. I don't like hoppy beers and don't buy them. By now I'm well aware of what styles I like and which I do not.

12. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,126) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

As am I. Quoting IBUs doesn't say a whole lot about hoppy flavors in and of itself. 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat Beer has a whopping 20 IBU. Founder's Porter, which we both agree is verging on black IPA, has 45 IBU.

You don't perceive floral qualities in Dark Truth or Sixth Glass. I do. I wish I didn't, because I love quads, and having another one I enjoy distributed in my state that I could get off the shelf would be awesome, and the idea of Belgian yeast in a stout is also pretty appealing. Alas, those beers are not for me.

If someone else does or does not perceive the same floral qualities, they're not wrong.

13. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Rouge... I know they are one of the pioneers but I can't bring myself to like them.

keithmurray likes this.
  14. Alphateam

Alphateam Initiate (74) Mar 5, 2013 Michigan

Odd Sides and Shorts. Both places take wacky chances and 4 out of 5 suck....but that 1 out of 5 is amazing.

15. hou_mcbp

hou_mcbp Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2015 Texas

I feel the same way. It has a special place in my heart because it got me started on craft beer when I was in college but it is never my go to. All of their beers just taste like variations on the same thing to me

DaverCS likes this.
  16. DaverCS

DaverCS Zealot (589) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

Agreed Rogue is like a wannabe DFH, but instead of half of the beers flopping like with DFH, almost all of the beers flop. Harsh but so true.

17. Hayden34

Hayden34 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia

I had almost given up on Abita too, until I tried Wrought Iron IPA a few months ago. AWESOME IPA!!

18. EchoesZ

EchoesZ Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2013 Arkansas

19. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

From some of the answers on here, it seems like some people just don't like beer...

20. MittenBrews

MittenBrews Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2015 North Carolina

You must have a very refined palate to be disappointed in several of those breweries.

21. Beegee305

Beegee305 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2015 Florida

north coast is amazing :slight_smile:

22. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

cool. ill look into it and give it a shot. i hate to rule out any craft brewers, so would be cool to find something from them I like... thanks for the tip

Hayden34 likes this.
  23. Jsimo01

Jsimo01 Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2011 California

Bruery

24. Jsimo01

Jsimo01 Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2011 California

and Rochefort are gods!

25. vshay

vshay Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

Flying dog

26. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,082) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

If I see those in singles or bombers I'll pick them up then, I was about to just not care because of the outrageous flavoring, which I'll pick up just because it's wacky every now and then but given a true to style I guess you could call it I would try again. I think devils due is barleywine? Not sure I'll check it out but if it is I've yet to try the style so it is interesting. Thanks.

gopens44 likes this.
  27. hustadaj

hustadaj Initiate (126) Dec 30, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I enjoy fresh Abbey Triple and the Czar Brew surprised me that they just came out. Have you had either?

28. hustadaj

hustadaj Initiate (126) Dec 30, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

That Chicago hype! Haha, I haven't had any yet, you goons hoard it all!

29. Eziel

Eziel Meyvn (1,055) Jan 31, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Jolly Pumpkin is one for me. Always love the description, the idea... and then just falls flat. I want to like you!

30. hunninghake

hunninghake Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2005 Colorado

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

31. ICMTM

ICMTM Initiate (164) Mar 20, 2014 California
    Trader

I'm going to catch heat for this but The Bruery. Not because of quality but price. $20 a bomber for half their stuff is too much.

32. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,952) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

Oh shit! Just now realizing Stone gets my vote!

33. jlsims04

LOL people who live in their moms basement horde it all. Sought after stuff gone in minutes usually. Having a job sucks sometimes lol

34. NathanWind

NathanWind Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2012

If anything, they only impress me more. They've tweaked the hops on The Kind so it pops with citrus a bit more, and Too Kind is one of the most deceptively hoppy DIPAs out there. It's just not a hops stress test, is more about balance...which is kinda part of their appeal.

35. sderenne

sderenne Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2013 California

wow, lagunitas is an incredible brewery. it is amazing how peoples tastes differ so much. I'm just guessing that you got some old beer. I love sumpin sumpin but if it is more than a month old it really loses flavor and it changes to a sweeter nastier flavor.

36. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (160) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Too many to try. Dogfish Head, Avery, Bells, O'dell, Rogue, Deschutes, Magic Hat, Eagle Rock, Speakeasy, Green Flash, Ballast Point (though I liked Grunion).

#876 Dansac, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  37. Oidmoe

Oidmoe Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Austria

Magic Hat, Rogue, Sam Adams, Brasserie de la Senne...

38. JScoot

JScoot Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2014 Louisiana

39. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,814) Sep 2, 2012 California
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Try the Durty if you haven't. Boring style (Brown) but does it about as perfect as possible

40. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,814) Sep 2, 2012 California
    Fest Crew Society Trader

For me Rogue, and Abita are pretty high up there. Also not loving Covington

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.