What brewery has raised prices enough that you can't justify purchasing anymore?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (548) Nov 5, 2013 California

$14.99/bottle was the price for ALL of NYC and Long Island. BCBS is $27.99. Vanilla Rye was $30 and most places required the purchase of a mixed GI 12 pack or a 4-pack of BCBS, and BCBCS was $14.99 a bottle. I don't know why the regional price disparity, but there you have it. Not cool.

2. bmugan

bmugan Initiate (78) May 10, 2010 Texas

I agree. I really like Dead Guy Ale, but it's just too expensive for what it is.

keithmurray likes this.
  3. Travitten

Travitten Disciple (371) Feb 8, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Prairie beers are way over priced. Yet, I guess we still buy them, so probably not overpriced.

4. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (123) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

+1. From past searching I've found they do it because home brewers like the 32oz bottles? How about they just let home brewers find somewhere else to buy the bottles and stop screwing people who just want to drink some good beer at a fair price?

5. Hey

Hey Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2013 North Carolina

I don't know if the price increased but here it is $24.99 for a 4-pack of BBA Siberian Night. I bought one for a trade and one for myself, I won't be buying again unless requested in a trade.

Sculpin is another. I used to get that in CA for about $12 a 6-pack and even that seemed high. It's $17 most places around me now in NC.

6. msween21

msween21 Initiate (162) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

I don't know. I brew and I still don't like the format. I like having swing top bottles around, but you don't see large breweries switching to those.

7. hikanteki

hikanteki Initiate (86) Oct 11, 2013 California

Almost every bomber, except for the $3.99 Lagunitas ones at Trader Joes.

Pisthetaerus likes this.
  8. funjack5150

funjack5150 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2014 California

Lost Abbey, way over priced!:angry:

9. Pisthetaerus

True, but remember, Lagunitas is run by a wanna be dude bro. Putting out a ridiculous format for that kind of reason seems like something they'd do. The best you can say is that it's at least better priced than most lot of DIPAs in bombers.

10. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California

Even though distributors do raise prices, breweries are ultimately responsible for price increases. So if a beer increases it's price, it's most likely the brewery charging the distributor more and the distributor charging more to the store and the store charging more to the customer.

bman13 likes this.
  11. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

This made me laugh out loud, genuinely :grinning: I have the same impression. Good beer though.

12. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,305) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma

Prairie are getting way too big for their britches. I'm finding it hard to justify buying their beer anymore, with the least of the reasons being the price...their quality is really sketchy as well. Poor quality and high prices make Jack a sober boy.

13. BlackNotesIII

BlackNotesIII Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Alabama

I have to say I was quite happy with the BA BORIS I bought, but I probably wouldn't buy it again at that price, I agree with you.

14. bman13

bman13 Aspirant (259) Mar 19, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I as well, agree with YOU! haha. That was a very good one, but man, I can think of so many other great stouts off the top of my head for $10 or less. I mean shit, basically as much as a 6 pack of Bell's Expedition for one bomber. Not sure if biased or not, but love Bell's.

TCJ0100 likes this.
  15. Hair

Hair Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2006 California

What they did was actually the opposite of that.

They spent millions of dollars on bottling equipment such as a new filler (which lowers dissolved oxygen levels compared to their old run-down filler) bottle dating equipment (they didn't always date their bottles and now they do; very expensive BTW), DO testing and other lab equipment for improved quality control (plus more staff to run the QA dept) etc... The increase in price was to fund this increase in quality.

They are also spending millions to open a new brewery in Virginia to get fresher beer to the East Coast.

Greed? No. Not in the slightest. I find it odd that some craft beer fans ask for dated bottles and fresher beer, and then when a brewery gives them just that as part of a multi-million dollar expansion, they say they got greedy.

Maybe you like old, undated, oxidized beer and don't understand that things cost money.

16. Hair

Breweries don't tell stores and bars what to charge. Of course the price the brewery charges their distributor effects the cost to the customer, and of course when a brewery raises their prices this increase get passed on to the customer as the distributor and accounts maintain their profit margin... But they also get to set their own margin, and that is out of the hands of the brewery itself. By the time you buy the beer it has been marked up twice (by the distributor and the account) and they mark it up as much as possible based on what people are willing to pay (and this mark-up changes far more often than breweries change their prices). The way the three-tier system works, the brewery gets the raw deal; the short end of the stick. Many of you are blaming the wrong companies out of ignorance of how the industry really works.

Sculpin is so expensive because it sells at that price. The stores, bars, and Crest (their distributor) would be fooling not to charge what they can get. It is not like Ballast Point's brewers had a meeting and decided they wanted to rip people off. If you don't want to pay that much, don't. Try a smaller brewery with a killer IPA of their own that is much cheaper. That's how free markets work.

17. Pisthetaerus

All that doesn't do much good if you change the recipe to decent beers for the worse :|

Eh? Plenty of brewery have suggested retail prices.

18. Hair

Changing a recipe isn't a change of "quality". Their quality didn't drop, it was raised. Their recipe changes are not to your taste. That is subjective.

No brewery sets their own prices at the account. They are not allowed to.

19. Pisthetaerus

I've seen more than my fair share of people that think west coast IPA has taken a turn for a worse. If you want to believe that it's just a minority opinion, that's your prerogative.

Not sure you understand what a suggested retail price is.

20. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Aspirant (256) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

Who does O'Dell think they are with their large format bottle pricing?

21. Hair

I never said it was a "minority opinion" I said it was subjective. Their "quality" has substantially improved. Lower DOs and fresher beer. If you think lower DOs and fresher beer means "lower quality" then that is *NOT* your prerogative, you are objectively wrong. The people you've "seen" constitute anecdotal evidence. Their sales numbers (data) say otherwise.

BTW, that recipe change actually made the beer more expensive. I am talking about justifying the cost. It isn't greed when you charge more for something that costs more and actually make less profit on it.

Oh, I do. You just don't understand what I am saying. Suggesting a price is not setting a price. So for you to say "Plenty of brewery have suggested retail prices." in response to me shows you missed my point completely.

Please read more carefully. Thank you.

#261 Hair, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  22. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,381) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I had the new green flash WC IPA recipe on draft this weekend and it was unremarkable.

They raised their prices so much that I do not even consider them for purchases anymore. I never had any problems with quality of their beer in the past it used to be good.

Pisthetaerus likes this.
  23. Pisthetaerus

You're applying an industrial definition of quality in a response to someone who was just talking about whether it was good or bad. In his subjective opinion (and that of many others) the quality of their product has gotten worse. Subpar beer is subpar beer no matter how good the quality control and freshness are.

Telling isn't the same as setting either, if you meant that, you should have used clearer language. And actually, in some states (particularly where brewers can self distribute) brewers will cut off stores that overcharge.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  24. Hair

No issue there. In fact, I thought WC IPA went downhill when they first moved to their current facility. The change in equipment necessitated a change in their dry hopping method.

I liked the beer more when they had high DOs and no date codes but not *because* of those factors. I also got to drink it very fresh.

Greed wasn't a factor. That's all I am saying.

No, I am applying *the* definition of quality in response to someone using an incorrect one. He made it seem like they let their quality slip while raising prices. He was wrong. If anyone doesn't like their beer anymore I don't blame them for not buying it. But for anyone to call it "greed" is simply a result of their being misinformed.

I explained how things actually work in the industry very clearly. Your misunderstanding was your mistake.

#264 Hair, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  25. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Way to take a stand

26. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

I saw a 20 pack of bud light 16 ounce aluminum bottles for 15.99. Ridiculous.

27. Pisthetaerus

1qual·i·ty
    noun \ˈkwä-lə-tē\
    : how good or bad something is

Good lord crack open a dictionary or something. He said their beer got worse and they raised their prices. Which is what happened.

28. alexk307

alexk307 Aspirant (215) Nov 7, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

I really don't mind paying $15-$16 for a six pack of fresh Sculpin. I think it's an excellent beer, and I've easily paid $10-$12 for a comparable four pack.

29. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (740) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Deschutes.... $40+ cases of base beers is too much.

Enjoy

30. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (740) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Buy a case. Most times SK is about $40-42

Enjoy

31. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (105) Dec 6, 2014 California

Be that as it may, most of the new stuff that comes out from them I find solidly meh.

The first wave of WC IPA, IIPA, and Pallate Wrecker were fantastic. I haven't been impressed by them in a while though.

32. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Champion (808) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Society Trader

Deschutes Abyss. Too any local stouts that are better...for less. Not biting this year.

funjack5150 likes this.
  33. Hair

I guess you missed the fact that "quality" has multiple definitions. Please look up "context". It matters, kiddo. Their quality went up, and so did their prices. I guess you enjoy oxidized beer. You are entitled to that opinion.

Also, please look up "greed". Consider the comment I was responding to, and *THEN* reply to me. The order matters, too.

34. Hair

I don't think they mind that the cool kids with their golden palates think their beer is "meh" now that they are big. Their vastly increased sales reflect their vastly improved quality control despite what the lemmings think.

35. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (105) Dec 6, 2014 California

You should be less aggressive and assume less about the reasons why your audience thinks what it does. You're insulting my opinion without knowing why I think so, plainly assuming I'm just going along with what's trendy. This assumes no one can disagree with you without being a brainwashed idiot.

But you gave me very good reasons to doubt that the brewery has relaxed its standards. With that said, I distinguish between the technology and the brewing, in the same way that improved hardware, budget and resources does not guarantee a superior product every time. Even when there's more quality control personnel and tools for brewers.

Again, I appreciate the improvement in equipment, and the increase in quality control staff. The question is whether the beer itself holds up or has improved, as a result of the gadgets. I would say it doesn't, and that furthermore their new releases are relatively non-compelling in relation to what others are bringing to the market now. That suggests to me they have lost a step, while they projected themselves as a very exciting brewery a few years ago.

Yes, West Coast IPA remains a very good IPA. Intensely bitter, moderately malted, forward. I think it's still a great beer. But lately, I feel like the carbonation is more inconsistent, and its lost some of its tropical forwardness. It's far from being as dramatic a case as with Sculpin, but its readily perceptible. Particularly, I have felt less of the Simcoe and Citra, and more and more of the Columbus and Centennial, which renders the profile a bit flatter and more generic.

Their single hop series really didn't shine to me. Soul Flash was nice, but nothing special. They haven't released a truly memorable brew since Pallate Wrecker some years ago. More importantly, there's just guys out there putting out some truly amazing IPAs. Noble Ale Works, Three Weavers, Stone, and even Ballast Point (Grunion was fantastic) and Modern Times (City of the Sun) keep putting out some very, very high profile IPAs that I think just trump what GF has put out in recent times. You can insult me all you want, but that's how I see it.

36. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Hoppin Frog. I like their beer, but I rarely see a bomber for under $12 from them.

37. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (935) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Brooklyn, not the year round brews which are well priced just the 750's. I love Black Ops but at $23.99 one bottle is enough.

38. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

Yeah, fuck mbc. their model is screw the customer. Only lunch and another one are even reasonably fresh because nobody buys the rest of their overpriced crap. Most of the time you can buy something better in a bigger bottle with a smaller price tag from the same shelf that mbc sits on. I'm surprised stores even bother to stock it and I'll be surprised if mbc is still in business in 10 years.

39. belvedere86

belvedere86 Initiate (198) Apr 1, 2013 Belgium
    Trader

Mikkeller! But considering their audience are for a big part hipsters I can understand...

40. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,087) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

There are quite a few that are getting much too high. For me, Cascade finally crossed the line when I saw the price for Figaro. It's too bad, they make some great sours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.