What brewery haven't you had a bad beer from?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jun 1, 2013.

1. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Nov 11, 2010 New York

Three Floyds is definitely up there...they seem to outdo themselves with each new one I try. Lagunitas and Stone also both consistently keep me on my toes, guessing, and interested.

2. rozzom

rozzom Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Hill farmstead is the only brewery that fits this category for me

Elsinore64 and Psychmusic like this.
  3. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Yeah, y'know, it wasn't bad, but I didn't consider it to be on-par with Founders' other stuff - that said, I do believe in revisiting beers again after time has passed, so my opinion might be different a second time around.

Cheers, dude!

4. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo May 30, 2011 Alaska

Maine Beer Company
    Bell`s

millionsuns and frankthetank86 like this.
  5. Roguer

Roguer Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I wonder how many people said The Alchemist. :)

For me:

-Sierra Nevada
    -Sam Adams (I know all their beer isn't phenomenal, but *I* haven't had one I don't like yet; I haven't tried any of their IPAs or various other brews, however).
    -Stone - I don't love everything they put out (I found both Ruination and their standard IPA to be OK as far as my desired flavor profile), but I wouldn't say anything I've tried by them is "bad." Just because I don't like a particular flavor doesn't mean it isn't a good beer.

And if we're including ALL brewers, not just American craft:

-Spaten
    -Westmalle

6. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Jan 24, 2010 Ohio

Local - Fatheads. Everyone knows the Headhunter, but they brew everything in rotation, and the versions they put out as good or in some cases better than the popular talked about. Outstanding.

US - Lagunitas. Some of my favorites period. Not a clunker have I tried....but have not had censored or the Czech pilsner yet. Sumpin Sumpin Wild CANNOT come soon enough......

Imported - Weihenstephaner. Not even close. They are the definition of beer, everything I have ever had, excellent.

Just made my decision for this evening that much more difficult!

IrishKevin likes this.
  7. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Mar 13, 2013 New York

ommegang
    lagunitas
    st bernardus- and with them i haven't had one that wasn't epic

8. Lledd

Lledd Apr 23, 2013 Massachusetts

Lost Abbey and FW

9. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008 Wisconsin

Concur! All that brewery does is turn out great beers that are true to their style. Not too many places with the range of Great Lakes.

5thOhio likes this.
  10. Stelbotsfest

Stelbotsfest Apr 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

Go talk to your local beer guy because Dark Horse just put out a IPA variety pack with Crooked Tree and three other IPAs. I work for a wholesaler and we just got a limited amount in and haven't released it yet so keep your eyes peeled

lucasj82 and dpjosuns like this.
  11. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Dec 8, 2009 Illinois

I'd do this guy if you can...
    [​IMG]

lucasj82 and inchrisin like this.
  12. Premo88

Premo88 Jun 6, 2010 Texas

Karbach
    Sierra Nevada
    Samuel Smith

... Karbach is 9 for 9 or some such for me. Sierra Nevada is 3 for 3. Samuel Smith is 6 for 6. (i've got a lot more brews to try, but so far those three stand out)

13. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Deschutes. The Dissident wasn't bad, although not great, and that's the beer that I've been most disappointed in by them. A pretty good track record, I'd say.

Pacioli1445 likes this.
  14. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

15. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Gotta take Great Divide off the list - just had their Heyday witbier and it was far less enjoyable to me than FMB was from Founders...

My revised "list" will be:
    Firestone Walker
    Weihenstephaner

Too late to include the quote, but draheim ^ is accurate, too - Orval - make one beer, make it perfectly.

16. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

BRECKENRIDGE?????????

dig the upslope choice.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  17. BennyBeer04

BennyBeer04 Aug 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Founders. Firestone Walker. Jack's Abby.

18. MNishCT77

MNishCT77 Jun 6, 2008 District of Columbia

Surprised to not see Surly listed yet. For me, the following breweries have never released a mediocre beer:
    Surly
    FFFs
    Firestone Walker
    As much as I like some of the others, I've definitely had mediocre beers by each.

19. Paccamacca

Paccamacca Sep 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I just picked up their two new offerings yesterday- Darkest Hour and Anadromous- cant wait to try them. If you ever see it, grab a bottle of their saison, 'Love Buzz', that beer will change your life!

Geuzedad likes this.
  20. maDUECEgunner

maDUECEgunner May 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I could get plenty for trading...

21. stevec32

stevec32 Mar 26, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

The Alchemist

22. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I'll have to try out Wichita Brewing next time I'm home. Thanks for mentioning them.

23. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Had a friend whose wife is from there. He used to pick it up for me when they went back to visit her parents. Unfortunately and sadly they have passed away so they never go back anymore. Send me a personal message with what you are looking for and I am sure we can work something out!

24. bobbyr5

bobbyr5 May 17, 2013 Michigan

Founders.

25. Sean9689

Sean9689 Mar 17, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Societe & Hill Farmstead

26. doctormo

doctormo Jun 26, 2003 Minnesota
    Subscriber

Surly has been consistent for me. Deschutes, Founders, and Tallgrass have also been good. No bad ones that I have had.

27. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Sierra Nevada seems to be popular

28. Absolut

Absolut Sep 19, 2011 California

RR
    Firestone
    Lagunitas

29. semibaked

semibaked Mar 27, 2007 Kentucky

Firestone Walker

30. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Founders for sure. Even seasonal offerings that I was iffy about trying still managed to impress me.

31. ChipMurray

ChipMurray May 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

Stone
    Firestone Walker
    Lagunitas

32. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

New Glarus immediately springs to mind. I even kinda liked their Oktoberfest. I'm sure there are some other breweries where I've yet to have a dud, but I've also probably sampled fewer of their brews. New Glarus makes me wish I lived in Wisconsin. Or maybe the Wisconsinites could stop drinking so much of it so New Glarus could spread the love to some of their Midwestern neighbors.

2011 Devil Dancer would like to have a word with you. But if we could take away that big, oniony black eye then I would totally agree.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  33. mcrago

mcrago Oct 6, 2012 Indiana

Dark Horse? I find many of their beers to be average at best.

34. dvmin98

dvmin98 Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

3 Floyds, though I have a bottle of Tiberian Inquisitor waiting on me in the fridge, and I've seen some bad posts about it. I would also say Founders, but their Cerise was really bad. New Glarus has been spot on as well.

A small brewery that Ive had 6 beers from is Ironfire out of Temecula, CA. Their stuff is damn solid. I wanted to head over to the tasting room cuz they had some funky stuff on tap, but they were closed the days I could have swung by. (Owned by a former Ballast Point brewer)

35. 77black_ships

77black_ships Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Cantillon first
    Also CCB, RR, Haandbryggeriet & De Dolle.

36. mweso2000

mweso2000 Apr 10, 2010 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Lagunitas. Everything they have is just solid if not excellent. Founders and Stone are also extremely consistent, but some of their specialty beers do not always do it for me.

37. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

Smuttynose, Samuel Smith and Cigar city all fit the bill. Ive had some beers that I wasn't in love with but never an actual bad beer.

Premo88 likes this.
  38. IrishKevin

IrishKevin Apr 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Lagunitas & Founders are always solid! So far everything I have had from Tree House has been great.

39. notchucknorris

notchucknorris May 28, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I was going to say Alpine, but then I remembered Mandarin Nectar. Therefore, going with Cantillon.

40. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Apr 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Gotta agree with many posters about Founders. I think out of the 10 or so Founders beers I've enjoyed, the only one I'm probably not going to buy again is the standard Pale Ale

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!