What Brewing Stuffs Are You Asking For This Year?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Nov 22, 2021.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (769) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

What is everybody asking for in terms of gifts for brewing?

I am hoping to get an insulation jacket for my Spike Brewing FLEX fermenter. And some new IPA glasses as mine have all broken.

PapaGoose03, skleice and riptorn like this.
  2. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (518) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Time.
    Do like the Spike Flex?

GormBrewhouse, MrOH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,433) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe I will just ask for money this year? :thinking_face:

On my last order of ingredients it sure appeared that everything went up in price.:grimacing:

Cheers!

4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (769) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I love it. I wish the pressurized lid ring was easier to put on and keep clean, but honestly, that is me being lazy. It works great, it is easy to clean, easy to use. I set mine up so I can ferment, pressurize, carbonate, heck, I can even serve from it.

GormBrewhouse, Merlyn and riptorn like this.
  5. skleice

skleice Aspirant (295) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Hmm. I'm thinking it's time to ditch the picnic taps and install some proper faucets on my kegerator.

6. riptorn

Society Trader

Space

7. Beer_Life

Beer_Life Initiate (24) Dec 5, 2020 New York

I am not asking for it this year, but in years past I've treated myself and others to historical recipes from Ron Pattinson. There's a link on his blog:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/

A recipe costs 25 euros and it looks very much like one of his "Let's Brew" blog posts, except that he also sends a scan of the original brewing log.

I've always been very pleased with it. Here's a tweet from a guy who got Ron to make a homebrew recipe for a stout originally brewed in 1935 by the Irish brewery Perry's:

https://twitter.com/beerfoodtravel/status/1459928287728312320

And here's a blog post by the same guy about brewing a Perry's X ale (that is, a mild):

https://beerfoodtravel.blogspot.com/2020/06/historic-homebrew-perrys-1934-x-ale.html

Those are both 20th century beers but Ron has recipes going back a long way, certainly a lot from the 19th century. Of course if all you want is an old recipe he publishes plenty for free, but if you want a specific date or a specific brewery or a specific style, or all three, then he might be able to help you for 25 euros.

Updated to add: It's a bit hard to find the button maybe, it's over on the left, do a ctrl-F for "birthday" and you will find it. Once you send Ron the money he gets back to you by email to work out the details of what you want.

8. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (595) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Time is always #1. Next would be more LHBS in the area. There is one store within 50 miles and their prices reflect that monopoly, especially on stuff that is expensive to ship.

thebriansmaude and riptorn like this.
  9. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (530) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I always give a list to the kids. Usually roast, crystal,yeast, specialty and other malts. Sometimes I actually get some, hahahaha

10. riptorn

Society Trader

....and a bit of continuum for good measure

11. memory

memory Aspirant (221) Oct 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Hopsdirect had a nice Thanksgiving sale. Threw in 2 free pounds of hops and a hop jiz filled syringe of Columbus. Never used that before. Guess a Pliney in the works nex.

12. JackHorzempa

Society

Why not!?!

I have a clone batch of Pliny the Elder in the dry hop stage right now.

Cheers!

GormBrewhouse and PapaGoose03 like this.
  13. GormBrewhouse

All grain? Would you share the recipe?

14. JackHorzempa

Society

Are you a member of AHA? The recipe is part of an article that Vinnie Cilurzo wrote for Zymurgy July/August 2009.

Cheers!

Edit: I also tried to send you a PM but I was blocked.

#14 JackHorzempa, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  15. GormBrewhouse

Not a member, I think you can send a conversation now, don’t remember changing things.

16. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,477) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

JackHorzempa, Prep8611 and riptorn like this.
  17. GormBrewhouse

Thanks papa, appreciate it

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  18. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (51) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

skleice likes this.
  19. GormBrewhouse

Got some Munich special roast, L20 and a couple new 7 . 5 gal fermenters from more beer.

anybody else have to hammer these fermenters shut or are my hands just getting old

riptorn likes this.
  20. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Got a 1 gallon mini keg which is great to bring over to family and out to the pool instead of having to bottle from the keezer.

skleice likes this.
  21. riptorn

Society Trader

I don't have to hammer them shut but it's much easier that way. Enough so that I've dedicated a rubber mallet for it. For me, taking the lids off can be mildly frustrating, but it's no hill for a stepper.

GormBrewhouse likes this.