What Cider Are You Drinking Now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by weaverr, Apr 21, 2019.

1. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (161) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Agree or disagree with the reasoning behind excluding ciders from BA reviews, we now have this new alternative beverage forum! Post cool and interesting ciders you’ve tried recently and be sure to mention what state you tried them in!

Out of Oregon I’ve recently been exposed to EZ Orchards Roman Beauty and a few other varieties of theirs. Beautiful single varietal ciders with a nice dry and slightly funky finish. Highly recommend you seek them out when visiting Portland. I need to make it out to their farmhouse shop this summer.

champ103 and TongoRad like this.
  2. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,443) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Been drinking this great little French cider this Easter Sunday.

[​IMG]

There is a still (not carbonated) Spanish cider that I have been drinking recently. I can't remember exactly the brand name, but its from the Basque region and is excellent. I'll have get another bottle soon and actually note the brand name this time.

Davl22, FBarber, dmtaylor and 2 others like this.
  3. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (219) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

The Etienne Dupont Cidre is very tasty indeed. Like overripe slightly funky apples, tart, and not too dry. I really like that one.

I'm not a huge fan of Basque sidras... they all taste like green olives to me, which might be fine except that I don't really like olives. Txopinondo Sagarnoa was alright. I didn't care for Ribela, maybe a bit too funky for me. The Basque stuff is very unique, can be a love/hate thing even for lovers of every other type of cider.

I popped a J.K.'s Scrumpy cider yesterday. It tastes very good, but sickly sweet. Obviously backsweetened, and must be pasteurized since they advertise no preservatives.

My homemade ciders are the best.... taste like applesauce but quite dry, usually with some sparkle. I still haven't bottled my 2018 cider yet but have been drinking it straight out of the fermenter so it might be gone before it goes to bottle.

Cheers all.

pweis909 and champ103 like this.
  4. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (161) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Visited 1859 Cider in Salem today. Some really great 100% pressed apple ciders, mostly dry and funky. They recently signed with a distributor so we’ll hopefully be seeing more of them in Portland.

Standouts were their Farmers Reserve, aged in bourbon and rum barrels but still super dry and not boozy, and their single varietal Winesap ciders.

champ103 likes this.
  5. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,443) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Here is the Spanish cider I mentioned above... Barkaiztegi. Funky, a little salty, fruity, almost overripe/sour apples, dry, no carbonation. This is really nice. I never thought of it like this before, but almost seems like t he Gose of the cider world :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

TongoRad, Davl22, weaverr and 2 others like this.
  6. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (241) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

I typically lean towards Shacksbury's ciders out of VT. Bone-dry, naturally fermented, just enough funk to keep it interesting. ANXO just started getting ME distro the past 6 months and I've enjoyed everything I've tried from them, including this collab w/ Snowdrift Cider.

champ103 and TongoRad like this.
  7. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Savant (950) Sep 4, 2006 New York
    Trader

Agree on the Shacksbury. Good to great ciders at a really appealing price for the most part.

JohnGalt1 likes this.
  8. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Poo-Bah (5,042) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Society Trader

Heya Adam!!! Long time no talk. Happy to see another old schooler still around here.