What defines a person as a "regular" customer to a bottle shop?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. langcpa

langcpa Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Nebraska

Are you the one who married the girl from Saginaw MI in Lefty Frizzell song

VashonGuy likes this.
  2. connellski

connellski Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2015 Massachusetts

The old lady always has everyone beat. When you're 95 and parking on the curb instead of a parking spot, you just win overall.

But truth be told, when we get a shipment of "limited edition" beers, I will always let the people who genuinely show an interest in beer know. There are people that have only come into the store once but made such an impression by their passion for a brew and then there are those tried and true customers who you just feel the need to recommend "your new favorite" to.

TheGator321 likes this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,017) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Not quite right, but close.
    Yep.
    Yep.

Maybe every comment above that mentions chatting with the store's owner/sales persons implies that you know their name, but only @jmorey and @mudbug say it. Every one of us likes it when someone knows our name in a beer store relationship, but the other way around applies too. I only stop in my store to buy something every two weeks on average, but since this is a store that is also a market/deli I'm shopping there at least weekly. I make it a point to walk thru the beer area and say hello using the names of the employees in my greeting, but I don't stop to chat. This store also has a small bar, so I occasionally sit and have a beer and make sure I tip. The employees sometimes chat for a minute or so, but they have other duties and excuse themselves. I like my relationship, and it works.

fearfactory and mudbug like this.
  4. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 Wisconsin

There are always more regulars than their are special limited beers

BrettHead likes this.
  5. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Like pretty much everyone is saying you need to come in there a lot, but more importantly be a likable person. If I owned a shop and I had an obnoxious jackass for a regular customer, I wouldn't go out of my way for him regardless of how much money he spends.

6. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (564) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

They know it when they see it.

the_trystero likes this.
  7. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

If there's a video poker machine, she doesn't leave at all. I know exactly what you are talking about. I have met this woman many different times in my life.

TheGator321 likes this.
  8. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

I run the beer section for my store and I have to say a lot of you are spot on. Come in once twice week/ buy normal 6er's bottles / don't ever walk out empty handed that pisses us off. Chat us up about beer we love it too. Oh and throw us a bottle or two every once in a while. One of my regulars got me a can of Julius before I knew what it was. Guess what he gets limited stock every I have it and he shows up. If not it gets held. That is all. Don't be a dick whale chaser

Geuzedad, jlt6116 and fearfactory like this.
  9. the_trystero

the_trystero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 California

Don't know, don't care. I go to mine every day. Sometimes twice a day.

10. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Again. Not many sales people on here. Figure out who the beer buyer is when you start frequenting a store, and strike up a conversation. Be likeable and buddy up with the guy. Quite honestly, this can be done within 2-3 visits.

11. the_trystero

the_trystero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 California

Glad you don't run my store. I don't expect someone to buy from me every time they visit me, and neither does my local bottle shop.

LeRose, BrettHead and yemenmocha like this.
  12. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Things like this are exceptionally difficult for me. I swear I have name deafness. I meet a new person and when they same their name all I hear is static. I have to try extremely hard to remember it, and retain it, lots of effort put forth. I do know the name of everybody at the beer store but I do NOT know the name of everyone in my floor of my office, and I have been there two years... If we just met I am probably not paying attention to our conversation because I am repeating your name over and over in my head.

Called my store to check on something last Friday, which I don't do often and then realized it was a certain guy half way through and referred to him by name. I think he was a bit surprised, but then figured out it was me and used my name as well.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  13. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

Until 3 years ago those were both my local hangouts when I lived in Norfolk. The folks at G and G were good people. I would bring beer from my west coast visits back to Kevin and he would hook me up with some great bottles in exchange. And the folks at the TW in Norfolk were good people. Glad to see both are still go to spots.

14. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

Agreed. Just brought my buddy back some stuff from California this weekend that we can't get here. He was very appreciative when I dropped it off to him today.

15. zid

zid Meyvn (1,280) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

You are a regular when:

- you know where the "beer guy" lives, you know what he ate for dinner, you watch him through his kitchen window with binoculars

- you bring the employees beer on odd days, pizza on even days and expect nothing in return

- you always wear the same crazy hat for instant recognizability and always discus how much money you spent there the last time

- you wink at the "beer guy" and are not met with a horrified reaction

- you show your passion by asking, "Come on guys, don't you have anything fresher in the back?" every time you're in the store

- you can count your dog as a customer when buying "one per customer" bottles

16. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (465) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I reached my "regular" status by going 1-2 times a week to the same shop, chatting up the manager/owner's son talking shop (beer), and spending probably $100-$150/month.
    I know I reached "regular" because he has broken out a Black Note for me, along with BCBSVR, BCBCS, KBS '13 & '14 on the release day of '15 for me to have a small vertical. Every few weeks now I just casually say "hey, you got any goodies in the office?" after I chat him up for a few. Something stupid like that... and it works.

17. Gemmell

Gemmell Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Illinois

Being a guy who spends almost 60 hours a week at a thankless job selling booze to helpless addicts, the guy/woman who walks through the door to shoot the shit about good beer ALL year, not just around stout season, is an extreme refreshment. That being said, it is rare for people who buy good beer to come up and want to talk about it at any length, or about anything at all for that matter. Usually they just come in and get what they were looking for and leave. "Whalez" as they have been come to be called are first and foremost held for yours truly, but I only keep one (of six) or two (of twelve). The rest I hold for people who come in and may not always buy good beer, but are always down to shoot the shit about what's coming out, what's new, and what's good. Those of you that show up a week or two before Black Friday are looked down upon with a frown by myself, and I assume, by a lot of others in the industry. I only use Black Friday as a prime example.

Geuzedad and fearfactory like this.
  18. chrisjws

chrisjws Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 California

In my experience you need to be buying at least 3-6 bottles a week regardless of price. The more important part than just spending is talking to the person or people behind the counter. Make sure they know your face. Make sure you're memorable. There's a place where I'm basically a "regular" where I'm only popping in once every month or two these days. He still knows my face, still gives me tipoffs and still is happy to hold a bottle for me.

Geuzedad and azorie like this.
  19. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I spend plenty of money in my bottle shop weekly. The only whale I ever heard about was when another BA told me he had seen "x" beer in that shop "right now". Of course I don't stand around to chit chat. I come in to buy something and leave.

Brolo75, LeRose and azorie like this.
  20. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

TV show guy that never paid his bill, you would not be well liked by the bean counters, fantasy.....:grinning::rolling_eyes::grinning:

21. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Did you ever ask if they have/had X?

Geuzedad and azorie like this.
  22. azorie

Well If its a tiny place with 1 worker they will most likely notice you. A big place with rotating staff some of us are just not remembered well. So it depends on the place. right. marketing is rocket science lol.

drtth likes this.
  23. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Not really @drtth and frankly I am not going to. It's one of those things that I consider a life anomally. I go to that store. That guy knows me. If he has things in the back and he offers them to me then I have a choice to make . I prefer a congenial "hello how are you and it's not too hot anymore" for conversation. It's one of those things that we debate here. To me it's frought with societal implications to indulge such a practice. Favoritism, elitism, discrimination etc . . . Who asked in another thread "who do I have to know to get a pair of levi's?" So I don't ask and he don't tell. =)

Ericness and LeRose like this.
  24. azorie

Sounds like a big nice place. I am curious what is this places name, may I ask? thanks!

25. innominat

innominat Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012 Ireland

I guess im a regular when the staff asked me the price of the beer when they didnt know themselves. Haha

I always chat a little and the staff recognize me.

But I dont think we have many Whales in Ireland so most of what is sold is on the shelf.

26. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,017) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It's really not that big of a place, but 'unique' may be a better word to describe it. It's a garden center, fresh produce market, florist shop, deli, and somewhat of a grocery store all rolled into one place called Horrocks. A larger version of this store is located in Lansing, and its beer department is a bit larger in size and selection (and availability of hyped beers) and has 50+ taps, whereas my store only has 15 taps and doesn't get as much hyped stuff.

27. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,740) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Depends on how often you show up... also if people aren't going to remember you at places why give them their business?

Brolo75 likes this.
  28. azorie

You never been to a big store like Total wine then.

teromous likes this.
  29. azorie

wow very unique.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  30. beerded_drunk

beerded_drunk Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

There is no shortage of bottle shops in PA

31. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Knowing the names of all the employees would be a good indication of a regular. I def know everyone at my local shop. Being friendly goes a long way! :slight_smile:

32. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,196) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Well I've got 4 shops locally that I rotate my craft beer buying from:
    shop 1: best prices on bombers/next to my work...visit about once every 3 weeks. No whalez given by distributor to this shop
    shop2: I know the owner well and its also convenient as its on the way home from work. Visit about once every 2 weeks on avg. out of convenience and supporting someone I know. No whalez sent here either by distributor
    shop 3: Visit about once every 7-10 days (most frequent store). Close to work, mixed sixer options, have very limited whalez. Know 1 employee by name (other staff aren't very talkative and not into craft beer) and talk with him for several years now everytime I see him in the store. Always sharing beer recommendations, brewery experieneces etc. Never see owner in store...about 5-7 employees total I see but others aren't friendly/not into craft beer. Always ask to get onto the FW box beer waiting lists and Bourbon County/ Black Friday but after 3 years of asking, never got into the VIP club.

shop 4: Only other craft store that gets the FW boxs and Bourbon County's in our area. Only go here occassional for a little more variety from what shop 3 offers, but prices are higher, owner isn't a craft beer person/ snobby. I've gotten on their whalez lists as well but I'm definitely no a VIP customer here (don't really plan to either based on price).

So I've circled back to shop 3 as probably my best chance to ever get to buy the FW boxed beers and BC's but I guess there are just too many customers wanting them, too few bottles distributed. Not sure how much more I can do in this situation to get into the "club".

33. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (4,601) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society Trader

Pretty sure when they know your name and they say, "are we holding something for you right now?" every time you walk in.

34. drtth

Maybe where you live.

While its true there are now 3 eateries for buying take out within "convenient" distance of where I live (i.e., short driving distance). One opened fairly recently. Another has been there for about 2 years and the third about 5-6. Only one of those is close enough for a regular visit, and all 3 generally charge fairly high per bottle prices, and at least two of them are no where near as careful about freshness of their stock as they should be.

I regularly visit places out of state where there can easily be 2-3 within easy walking distance, so no car needed. So as far as I'm concerned there's a shortage in PA and they are few and far between. (Especially if you happen to live in places like Elk or Potter county. :-))

#74 drtth, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    beerded_drunk likes this.
  35. beerded_drunk

beerded_drunk Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'm positive that PA is bigger than Elk and Potter county. you said that they are hard to find in PA, not me.

36. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,740) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Actually shop there often on ocassion

37. drtth

That's absolutely true on both counts. And quite relevant to your claim there is no shortage in PA. There are lots of places in PA where they are few and far between and therefore hard to find.

beerded_drunk likes this.
  38. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I did all that crap. didnt pay off in the end. I bought the crappy shelf beer all the time and gave the store manager beers he couldnt dream of getting like all sorts of treehouse stuff only to be fucking RAPED over saehag at 12.99 a 6 pk and always excluded on g-bot days. the owner would give half of the KBS case they got to his buddy who never buys a fucking thing from founder's all year. not to mention the younger employees have now decided they get first crack at anything the store gets in.

yemenmocha likes this.
  39. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,348) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If you have to ask, you'll never know

40. azorie

then you know even if your a regular there, it does not help you.. At least not at my store, I used to know 2 managers there, never helped me and I was there at the time weekly....yes I knew there names and even had a few beers with 1 of them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.