What do stout drinkers enjoy in the summer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kdevilliers, Jul 8, 2016.

1. kdevilliers

kdevilliers Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Maybe it's just me but I like a particular taste year round. I'm not that concerned about ABV but prefer higher rather than lower. My taste in beer is mostly in the dark brown to black range with good dollop of malty flavors. Then around comes summer and all I can find are IPA's, DIPA's, pils, etc.

I still stick to my stout/porter/quad recipe. Yes, not as plentiful but I'll rather have a beer of my taste than sell out for the latest "summer" special just to be disappointed. I've tried some coffee IPA's and they're a step in the right direction but haven't found any that I would go buy. Fine to have a tasting of 2 oz at a time but buying something to take home to drink later is a different story. I don't care if it is 0 degrees or 100 degrees outside, I still enjoy my same stout as much in the summer as in the winter.

So maybe you found a great summer taste that a stout drinker should try. I'm open to ideas.

So, my question to the community is what (if anything) do you prefer as a summer beer?

Or do you think like me and just stick to what you like?

Ferb, George1005, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  2. tillmac62

tillmac62 Meyvn (1,430) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I stick to what I like, why would anyone do otherwise?

3. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,428) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Stick to what I like, I mean, if it worked yesterday . . .

4. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Disciple (331) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

5. meb3476

meb3476 Initiate (186) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

More stouts!!!

6. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (219) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

1.) Buy more of the ones you like when they are out so you have them when the weather gets warmer.
    2.)There are plenty of year round options to sift through and sure to be something you like in the mix.

7. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (175) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown is a great stout-like brown ale.

8. eifster82

eifster82 Defender (651) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

And then some more stouts.

Badfish, Lahey, Studfarm69 and 5 others like this.
  9. IannG

IannG Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Stick to what you like! If your not too far from Ellington, CT Cold Creek Brewery made a "summer" coffee maple stout Minnie Winnie, low abv and a little lighter than the traditional stout. Personally I'm a fan of Berliners and Gose for those hot summer days.

10. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Defender (663) Oct 1, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

beer

Himself likes this.
  11. Mshea805

Mshea805 Aspirant (255) Apr 12, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Stouts of course. Stone releases w00tStout in the summer, thats a good one to help fill the gap. I also dig into my cellar to avoid the shitty selection of session IPA's that take over shelf space during summer.

cosmicdebris, Badfish, Lahey and 6 others like this.
  12. BWood

BWood Defender (602) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Stouts year around

13. marquis

marquis Crusader (717) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Stout has remained popular in many hot countries. Nigeria is the biggest consumer of Guinness outside the British Isles.

14. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (317) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

When in doubt, drink a stout.

In all honesty though, as much of a stout guy that I am, lately really have developed a taste for IPAs and have been drinking them like crazy.

15. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (272) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

I don't drink 'seasonally' at all, and stouts are a style of beer I can enjoy any time of the year.
    And although it doesn't get a lot of love here (and it's really not even my favorite stout) I find Guinness Draught to be one of the most refreshing beers to have on a hot day since it's on the lighter side with a pleasant tart note, has a manageable alcohol content, and isn't over carbonated like most American beers (including so called "craft').

16. kdevilliers

Beer Trader

Glad I'm not alone in sticking to my stouts regardless of the temperature outside. Just thought I might be missing something but based on the response it seems obvious to just keep doing what I've been doing all along. And there are a few online retailers that have decent selections of stouts year round so I get by even if the local spots are overflowing with IPA's.

Great choice! One of my favorites as well.

17. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Devotee (477) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Stouts year round, cellar and fridge full of stouts ready at all times. Always have some FBS available.

BeantownBrews and bluejacket74 like this.
  18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,009) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Check out Stone's Mocha IPA...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Brewed with coffee & chocolate, 9% abv, full body, super-smooth...

19. kdevilliers

Beer Trader

Tasted that a few weeks back and something to keep in mind. Haven't bought any yet but on my list for next visit to the store.

Greywulfken likes this.
  20. twistwrist

twistwrist Initiate (188) Jun 20, 2013 Georgia

To expand one's horizons, maybe? Back in the day before craft beer, I "liked" Bud Light Lime. Glad I didn't stick with that one. :wink:

JimKal, SFACRKnight and Geuzedad like this.
  21. tillmac62

tillmac62 Meyvn (1,430) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm glad you didn't too.:grinning:

Geuzedad and twistwrist like this.
  22. JKasten988

JKasten988 Aspirant (224) Nov 28, 2014 New Jersey

Stouts/porters year round, but I do feel your pain regarding the general lack of availability in the summer time. I hit the cellar and scavenge what I can. I will say - and this is based on my perception alone - that I feel like we may be turning a corner, especially with these coffee cream ales or coffee ipas that have more recently become available. I think the next shoe to drop might be more generally widespread availability of darker beers during the summer. That is, once this fruity IPA/gose/wild ale/"vermont" ipa/etc. craze dies down. Not that I don't enjoy all of those styles. Here's to hoping.

bluejacket74 and Klourie like this.
  23. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (423) Aug 8, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)
    Beer Trader

Maybe try some schwarzbiers, Irish dry stouts, brown ales, or milds (if you can find 'em).

What I'd probably do is just continue to drink the stouts you like in smaller quantities, and use the rest of the time to explore other styles. You might be surprised by what you develop a taste for.

24. Brianbosox

Brianbosox Initiate (153) Dec 31, 2009 North Carolina

Well, stout, and black lager, and hefeweisen, and pilsner, and gose, and pale ale, and lambic.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  25. rugene

rugene Initiate (196) Mar 2, 2015 Quebec (Canada)

I'll stick with my favorites Belgian Beers, but I will try some new IPA just to discover something new and taste something different. I just saw that this thread was for Stout drinkers! Well I enjoy a stout between a bunch of Belgian beers....

#25 rugene, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Klourie likes this.
  26. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,579) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Stouts are year around for me, as are IPAs, and any other style I like and can find. since stouts cellar well, I buy cases of them when available.

BeantownBrews and bluejacket74 like this.
  27. sybian

sybian Initiate (145) Aug 30, 2010 New Jersey

I still drink stouts in the summer, but a little less often. I love Fall and Winter seasonals, but very rarely get Summer or Spring beers, so that accounts for my change in consumption. Sitting outside on a hot day, I'm probably more likely to crave a cold, lighter beer or a citrusy IPA more than a warmer stout. Sitting on the couch in airconditioning, I'm just as likely to go for a stout, porter or scotch ale.There is nothing like a heavy or BA stout while sitting next to the fire with snow falling outside.

Chipotle, NickSMpls and bluejacket74 like this.
  28. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Aspirant (205) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

I still drink them all year round. I may not drink them as often as I would in the colder months. I just popped Rock Arts - Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian, Black Hogs Bourbon Barrel Cherry Milk Stout and Bruery So Happens its Tuesday.
    I did drink this during the day but i tend to drink these more at night in the warmer months.

If you are looking little lighter than the big guys there are plenty that are easier to drink even in warmer weather.
    HillFarm - Shirley May 4%
    Baxters - Window Seat 6%
    Samuel Smiths - Oatmeal 5%
    Black Hog - Milk Stout 5.5%

bluejacket74 and Klourie like this.
  29. teromous

teromous Meyvn (1,372) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia

Put on some Bing Crosby and set the AC unit to 60F. You'll be right as rain.

30. Klourie

Klourie Disciple (351) Jul 8, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Stouts/barleywines (English style of course) year round! Now am I'm going to drink a 13% Barrel Aged Stout in 100 degree weather? Well yeah I might actually, but it's a nice and comfortable 70-72 degrees in my house now just like in the winter time, so pour me another stout.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  31. lewisti

lewisti Initiate (164) Nov 7, 2001 Connecticut

I just saw Nitro FW Velvet Merlin on draft at a place nearby 5.5%

SteveSexton203, Premo88 and shyblee like this.
  32. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Zealot (563) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Subscriber

"white stouts" duh.

Premo88 likes this.
  33. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Zealot (563) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Subscriber

a more serious answer is I too stick to what I like for the most part, but there is certainly something to a more refreshing german lager or American pale ale rather than a viscous chewy imperial stout on a hot day.

That being said I've been buying barrel aged imperial stouts to stock up for the winter.

Premo88 likes this.
  34. msteves99

msteves99 Initiate (162) Jun 8, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I tend to start drinking more saisons but that's only because I've run out of most of my stouts by now. Seasonality doesn't play too big a role in choice for me.

Premo88 likes this.
  35. shyblee

shyblee Initiate (128) Nov 1, 2015 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Schwarzbier (Black Lager) or Cascadian Dark Ales (Black IPA)

rgordon and Premo88 like this.
  36. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,234) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

As stout season wound down a bit, I've taken the opportunity to try new styles. I'm more than half-way through and have surprised myself at some of the other styles and specific beers I like. For instance, I love Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier and Lindemans Framboise. Still not an IPA fan, but I know I'll find specific ones I'll like.

Premo88 likes this.
  37. kdevilliers

Beer Trader

Must confess that I haven't tried any black IPA's but thought that might be a reasonable compromise. Will have to look around next time at the store and see if anything looks interesting. Worth a try at least. If you don't try then you'll never know, so I'll try a few. Now I think there is some Dragon's Milk waiting for me...

38. Premo88

Premo88 Meyvn (1,365) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

Q: What do stout drinkers enjoy in the summer?

A: [​IMG]

(that big-ass stout is sitting in about 95 degrees of Texas summer on Monday, my "Sunday" ... heat index who knows what but definitely three digits)

Weather does not affect my stout drinking. I do enjoy seasonal beer quite a bit, and I'll factor in the weather for a percentage of my beer drinking -- gose during the summer is :grinning::grinning::grinning:.

But my general rule is screw the weather -- drink what you're in the mood for.

jsmith313, bbtkd and bluejacket74 like this.
  39. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (929) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

so far i've been enjoying IPAs/dIPAs. as a whole, i prefer IPAs but in the cold weather i drink stouts more frequently than normal.

FOR ME:
    -IPAs are a year long thing.
    -Stouts are cold weather.
    -Pils are warm weather.
    -Wits/Hefes can be anytime.

HorseheadsHopHead and Premo88 like this.
  40. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (4,023) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Supporter Subscriber

Like a lot of people who have posted on this thread, I'm a year long stout and imperial stout drinker. I wish there were more seasonal stouts available, but I can't really complain since I like a lot of different beer styles. But luckily one of my local breweries came out with a "schwarzbier inspired ale" as a summer seasonal, which is a nice change from all the session IPA's and summer ales that are sold this time of year. I'm drinking one of these right now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

SoleBriety and Premo88 like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.