What do you cook with Berlinerweiss?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by pweis909, Jan 14, 2013.

1. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

I have about a case of homebrewed Berlinerweiss that was made with some homegrown grapes (the grapes are pretty subtle). I've use it in a carbonade flamande-type dish and tonight blended it with a pesto sauce to toss with chicken and pasta. The tanginess seems to compliment browned meat; it's nice for deglazing a pan. Curious how you have used Berlinerweiss in cooking.

2. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I drink every Berlinerweisse that I can get my hands on, I usually use Cuvee Renee for cooking.

oldp0rt likes this.
  3. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

And how do you use Cuvee Renee? I'm looking for some ideas. Thanks!

4. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

Witbiers, saisons or berliners in my mussels instead of wine for certain recipes

5. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Carbonade as you had mentioned, I have stewed rabbit in it (lapin A La Gueuze). I have used it to make Carnitas as it gives the pork a little bit of tang. It makes a pretty good float with ginger ice cream.

pweis909 likes this.
  6. queens1130

queens1130 Nov 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

I haven't cooked with a Berliner per say, however, I did have it paired with a shrimp roll slider. The tartness cut through the creaminess of the bernaise sauce very nicely, cheers!

7. evilcatfish

evilcatfish May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Steaming any sort of shellfish in berliner is a good bet

pweis909 likes this.
  8. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Brats and mussels

pweis909 likes this.
  9. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

Salad dressing or the maybe in a oil/vinegar style coleslaw. I think this way you could keep more of the beer's flavor that is relatively delicate. I also think making a gastrique out of it for fish would be fantastic.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe