What do you think the next beer fad will be?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (966) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I was thinking along the line of hoppy seltzer or sour seltzer. Something that riffs off of popular beers.

Enjoy

BigIronH likes this.
  2. Thalheimer

Thalheimer Initiate (35) Feb 5, 2019 Illinois

:beer: plus :beer: = :beers:
    'Split mixes'
    (2) 8 oz cans of (2) different styles, stacked to make a 16 oz 'split mix' can - to be poured into same glass (see: black and tan). Many varieties of 'combination recipies'.
    'Drink 'em alone - or together - and mix 'em how you like 'em'

:thinking_face: - or some new variation of malt kool-aid beer. :smirk::neutral_face:

TongoRad, cjgiant, BigIronH and 2 others like this.
  3. aethelstan

aethelstan Initiate (26) Jul 25, 2020 Netherlands

Ummm...that's already the thing over here. Although, I admit I'm not sure it qualifies as a "fad" I mean when a small brewers have an Imperial Stouts aged in red wine, cognac, sauternes and port barrels...not that I'm complaining, mind you. My "local" sources are Molen & Grutte Pier breweries.

I'm afraid with the barley situation, there'll be more "eurolager" and "americanlager" beers brewed with adjuncts. :slight_frown:

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,247) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Leinenkugel's recently did something like this:
    [​IMG]

Thalheimer, Rug, Bitterbill and 7 others like this.
  5. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,404) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

As others have said already.. I think Lager’s Bocks and Wheat beers.

6. jjamadorphd

jjamadorphd Poo-Bah (1,997) Jul 21, 2012 Florida
    Society Trader

I’d like to see lagers become the next fad. Someone innovate on them, put something out there never before seen or at least for some time.

Thalheimer, NickTheGreat and BigIronH like this.
  7. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,477) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

8. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (497) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Fads = what the masses are drinking= not always good...

What i'd like to see: Barley-wine Fad! (now going to the barley-wine appreciation page ahhhh that's better.)

9. MkentVL

MkentVL Disciple (331) Jul 22, 2014
    Society

Guessing it will be some sort of seltzer/beer combo.

JokersAce and BigIronH like this.
  10. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (497) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Yess!! I'm in!

But honestly American brewed versions of these beers has mostly underwhelmed so far...

Herbabee and BigIronH like this.
  11. rwalton_23

rwalton_23 Disciple (324) Jun 25, 2014 Germany
    Society

Cold IPA seems to be catching on everywhere. Brewed with lager yeast at colder temps.

BigIronH and FBarber like this.
  12. JohnniEMc

JohnniEMc Poo-Bah (1,780) Sep 5, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Society

It's certainly a better choice than hard seltzers.

BigIronH and WCKDVBZ like this.
  13. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Sour Pastry Stouts infused with fruit puree and hopped to the high heavens... that's my prediction. My desire is to see beer flavored beer.

14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,954) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

"Grisettes and Kentucky Commons!" (The voice of one crying in the wilderness...)

15. steveh

Society

#96 steveh, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    KentT, Bitterbill and BigIronH like this.
  16. jbakajust1

I've actually had a porkchop beer brewed with sage and rosemary that wasn't bad... wasn't amazing... but I didn't gag. And @DrewBeechum makes a clam chowda Saison...

17. DieselBoatGuy

DieselBoatGuy Initiate (54) Jul 6, 2013 Virginia

They start adding: fruit, seltzer, lettuce, meat or anything other than the standard stuff etc to beer is the day I stop drinking beer.
    NA I can handle, but Trendy-fad-beer would be the final straw (which BTW should also not be added).
    I’ll turn to bourbon.
    And yes, I am. CAMRA member.

dcotom and BigIronH like this.
  18. steveh

Society

Where you been? That's been an ongoing trend for some time now.

Unless you mean fully replacing traditional beers, which will never happen (he said with 90% confidence :confused:).

Bitterbill and BigIronH like this.
  19. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,347) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Technology will play a role as well- once beer defermentation is perfected expect a lot of fruit puréed beers to spontaneously implode.

BigIronH likes this.
  20. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Disciple (323) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It's interesting hearing about what some people think are "upcoming trends" (*ahem*flyoverstates*ahem*) are actually already trends elsewhere (the coasts). Even though the industry is far more homogenized than it used to be, it is pretty cool that there's still some regional specialties and diversity across the country.

wasatchback, Bitterbill and BigIronH like this.
  21. bugo

bugo Initiate (21) Nov 10, 2009 Oklahoma

Beer that is infused with cannabis products, including THC (when the laws change to allow it) and CBD. This could be a gigantic market. Quality cannabis has a pleasant taste to it, and a beer with cannabis overtones would potentially be very good.

Scrapss, JokersAce and BigIronH like this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,550) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

The craft beer movement was started with Amber beers. First there was Anchor Steam which was 're-invigorated' by the purchase of the brewery in 1965 by Fritz Maytag. And then in 1982 there was New Amsterdam beer brewed in New York which was an Amber lager. And soon after Chesapeake Bay Brewing made an Amber lager featuring Cascade hops. And then...

And will Amber beers be the re-beginning of craft beer!?!

Cheers!

BigIronH likes this.
  23. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Been thinking about this and I’m going to go with low ABV English style ales. Fits in nicely with the growing demand for (generally low ABV) lagers but also offers opportunities for the brewers who prefer to brew ales rather than lagers.

24. Shiredave

Shiredave Champion (872) Aug 29, 2002 New York

What I hope becomes a trend is Malted Barley in all it's various toasted and roasted character. I hope to see traditional, classic styles embraced and refined by skilled, imaginative brewers who care more about making Really good beer than following a trend... or a hop profile. I'd like to see more small beers with Big flavor aka milds and special bitters - balanced pale ales and rich malty Maibocks, natural carbonation and un chilled pint glasses. IOW's, I hope to see a return to normal become a thing - like breweries and brew pubs in every town was.

25. jbakajust1

One can only hope... especially if they are served via gravity and a hand pump, moderately carbonated, at 55*F, from a cask...

26. Refractured

Refractured Disciple (314) Nov 28, 2015 Washington
    Society

My guess:
    I think pastry stouts will continue to rise.

I hope:
    Belgians/Belgian styles will be the next big wave. NEIPA’s continue to dominate and only become more juicy and more body. Lagers go back to the cold, vapid place they came from.

And I hope cellar-quality beers continue to gain notoriety. I can’t wait for the day where I go to a “fancy” restaurant and the wine menu is also accompanied by a cellared beer menu.

Bitterbill, PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  27. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,077) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm finally mature enough in my beer journey to consider trying warm flat beer again. :stuck_out_tongue:

28. jbakajust1

Maybe we'll get lucky and the next fad will be American brewed Belgian styles that rival the originals brewed in Belgium.

29. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Still think a smoked beer fad is gonna happen at some point.

30. vette2006c5r

vette2006c5r Poo-Bah (4,272) Oct 14, 2009 Minnesota
    Society

Peanut Butter Porters......But not be a bad thing...

MistaRyte and BigIronH like this.
  31. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,347) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Chunky beers.

BigIronH likes this.
  32. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

You and Live Oak. :wink:

ilikebeer03, Providence and BigIronH like this.
  33. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,424) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

It looks like more breweries are doing the lurkr side pull thing for lagers, and mliko pours. Tree House is doing it, one of the hype new money haze bros breweries in upstate NY is doing it. Although I hesitate to the use trend. Rather, with all of the haze/pastry/smoothie stuff going on, the underdog of American craft beer right now is exploring European brewing traditions again. On that note, hopefully British ales on cask will become more commonplace.

34. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Zealot (522) Aug 24, 2020 California

Beer brewed using only socially acceptable green enegy brewed with ingredients farmed using organic, sustainable procedures, and transported only in EVs. It will be a contest to see which brewer is more socially and environmentally responsible.

35. steveh

Society

Did you try Real Ale insitu? As in, London proper, that first time? Not so warm, nice carbonation without being gassy, and full of flavor. Yeah, enjoyed my UK trip. :slight_smile:

36. steveh

Society

Still needs that proper conditioning -- hand pump or not, cask or no cask.

And yeah -- there are some places using beer engines on beers that aren't properly cask conditioned. :confused:

37. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,528) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Acting upset that “none of my favorite styles” are available. Seems to be the one problem everyone wants to bitch about no matter what they like. Cheers.

38. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,528) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Which brewery are you referring to? Cheers.

steveh likes this.
  39. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Disciple (323) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

oh God please no. I’ll take ten more years of slushy sours and pastry stouts before we get this.

Thalheimer, Scrapss and Ricelikesbeer like this.