What does everyone think are the best & worst IPA or DIPA values ($)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeffgott, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beernazi

beernazi Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2012 California

never paid over 6.49 for a pint of pliny, and ive bought bottles at least 20 times

2. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,580) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Maine Beer Co. is overpriced, but it's so damn larrrrrge. Whenever I try to argue, my palate puts me in check.

jeffgott likes this.
  3. jeffgott

jeffgott Zealot (545) Feb 15, 2015 New Jersey

I have to agree that Uinta and Sierra Torpedo are steals and depite enjoying Pliny, I don't think $6 to $9 per bottle is justified when Heady/SOS/Second Fiddle/Swish is $3.50 to $4.25. I also would throw Dogfish 120 into the over priced category as $9-$12 per bottle is way over the top.

Donkster46 likes this.
  4. Cycle69

Cycle69 Devotee (443) Dec 23, 2013 Canada (ON)

From this list I've only had Heady.
    Living in Ontario, I'd pay the listed prices x2 and feel like I was stealing it!

5. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

A 6 pack of Exit 16 is a great buy for a DIPA.

prock180 likes this.
  6. GreysonDaniels

GreysonDaniels Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2012 North Carolina

There are plenty of great values, perhaps the worst is ATG's Citra Ass Down. $14+ for a bomber is comical, I guess someone is buying it.

7. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Disciple (325) Aug 16, 2014 California

Best value would be the 22oz Hop Stoopid ($4.99) or 32 oz Sucks ($7.69). Can't beat that price for such high quality beers.....

8. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (563) Oct 29, 2008 California

Enjoy By is about to get a lot more reasonable: it's going to be available in six packs!

n2492004 likes this.
  9. ALLISON01

ALLISON01 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2010 Pennsylvania

Agreed

10. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (572) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

Another vote for Hop Stoopid. I've gotten it for as little as 3.99 for a bomber.

11. Bonsall_Phil

Bonsall_Phil Disciple (384) Mar 21, 2014 California

I'll have to repeat on Pizza Port Swami's; a great go-to IPA that you can find as low as $10 for a sixer of 16oz cans.... under a buck per 12 oz... even cheaper if you find at a San Diego local CostCo

12. Systemtrend

Systemtrend Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2015 California

Sierra Nevada Torpedo can be had at most warehouse stores for $24 a case. Can't beat a 7.2% IPA for roughly $1.00 per 12oz bottle.

I once found bombers of Stone Enjoy By for $4.19 each at a discount grocery store. They were about a week from the enjoy by date, needless to say I bought all 10 that they had.

Ballist Point Sculpin, while good, is overpriced at $15-16 a sixer. No thanks there are similar, if not better, beers for cheaper out there.

n2492004 likes this.
  13. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Initiate (190) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

But that's still like paying ~$16.30/6pk - not actually that great on a $/oz basis.

14. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,170) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Of the top of my head Maine is the worst , ridiculous pricing for their beer considering how many great options there are out there. Pound for Pound Zombie Dust seems like an awesome value.

n2492004 likes this.
  15. GregJ

GregJ Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Louisiana

Some definitions of value:
    -the monetary worth of something
    -relative worth, utility, or importance
    -the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.
    - (v) estimate the monetary worth of (something).

We are comparing beer to beer here but we all know that with difference in price we also often have differences in cost of producing due to amount of ingredients, type of ingredients, quality of ingredients and cost of various techniques (aging). Just as I would never compare a nice aged Vermont extra sharp cheddar to Velveeta, or a Tesla to a Ford Pinto, I would also not base the value of a beer on its cheapness, otherwise beers like Keystone or Miller become the best value despite their bad taste.

Staying with the theme of IPA's, the cheapest IPA I ever had I would also consider the WORST value, I am speaking of Shocktop Wheat IPA, terrible!!!! One of the best values for me is Heady, despite it being a bit more expensive you are receiving a fortune worth of flavor, smell, body, etc. I stopped basing my beer purchasing decisions on price a long time ago.

16. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Disciple (396) Mar 23, 2008 California

Just picked this up about an hour ago. Pretty sure this wins best value DIPA no contest.
    [​IMG]

17. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,842) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Ironically even better deal here. I can routinely get each for $7.99 a four pack. I might like other DIPAs better, but I definitely think Dirtwolf And Hop Ranch are the best DIPAs for the price.

18. jeffgott

jeffgott Zealot (545) Feb 15, 2015 New Jersey

let me add another bargain - one that is about $1.15 per 12 oz bottle in 12 packs - Otter Creek Kind Ryed

19. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

^Fresh Sucks is world class

For local/regional options:
    $10 for some La Cumbre Elevated IPA- 4 packs of 16 oz. cans (it's ABV/price value is around 9.14 4.2% light beers). Which translates to nearly a $1 per standard light beer offering. Yes it comes in a 4 pack. Yes its 16 ounces per can. And yes, its 7.2% abv. A true VALUE! Quite a few consumers are turned off by the price and quantity.. Their loss.

On the contrary and LC's owner has had a blog entry on it, Project Dank is NOT technically a bargain. Luckily consumers can pick and choose what they want to consume. NZ hop varieties are not cheap. Whether some batches surpass Elevateds' value is up to the consumer. Luckily there is a solid balance of fans.

Other alternatives for me:

Odell IPA, $6.99 to $8.99 a sixer for a 7% six count 12 oz. IPA. That comes out to cheaper than a dollar a "standard light beer" beer. AMAZING value.

I think at one time Torpedo held that nod for when I was keeping track. $10.99 for a 12 pack at the time yielded amazing results.

Odell Myrcenary at 9.3% for four 12 oz. bottles holds quite the value as well. Price ranges from $8.99 to $10.99.

As for bomber value, I can only really see Hop Stoopid holding up to that standard. I only buy when its bottled within 90 days, which lately is impossible

jeffgott likes this.
  20. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (963) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

I don't have a problem with 2.75/12oz bottle if it's good.

21. T-34-85

T-34-85 Defender (624) Nov 7, 2013 New York

I do think that the Sierra Nevada Torpedo is good value for what you're getting, but I just don't like the taste. I wouldn't pay $5 for a pack of it. Although Heady Topper is a bit pricey at $4/can, the value is great for such a excellent beer.

22. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Initiate (190) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Oh I'm not saying I have a problem with it, I just wouldn't call it - or pretty much any bomber - a "best value" anything.

23. BlackNotesIII

BlackNotesIII Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Alabama

Evil Twin IPAs (or their beers in general) are mostly never worth it to me.

24. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

I figured as much. for the record, I'm jealous of all Ohioans.

Bonis likes this.
  25. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

IPAs, maybe, but their stouts are to die for.

26. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (62) May 23, 2013 California

Ballast Point has the absolute worst IPA prices ever.

Donkster46 likes this.
  27. Scarfer_Brad

Scarfer_Brad Disciple (340) Mar 19, 2014 Florida
    Trader

you prob have one of the best values at your avatar .. CCB Jai Alai

28. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,360) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Any IPA in a bomber in a bad value.

westlaunboy likes this.
  29. Evil_Emery

Evil_Emery Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 California

Agreed about Hop Stoopid. I find it on special for 3.99 often.

30. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (963) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

Word... I only get to Florida once a year, I think I pay 10 bucks a 6 pack. I'd happily pay 12-15!

31. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

$6 on draft seems about right but in the bottle it's usually more.

32. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Best = Lagunitas. I still cannot believe how low the price point is on their beers, and they are high quality. That's why I decided to not give a shit about their lawsuits.

33. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Clown Shoes Space Cake deserves consideration at $6-7 a bomber. Just two weeks old in ATL, too,

34. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

$8 a bomber of a 8% DIPA is a steal??? What planet are you from? I've had plenty of Citra. I'm not saying it's not worth the $8 tag on it, but calling it a steal is pure craziness.

OP - I'll go with Sucks now that it's repackaged in 6-packs at $8.99

#74 RBassSFHOPit2ME, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    westlaunboy likes this.
  35. BlackNotesIII

BlackNotesIII Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Alabama

They're fine, I mean a lot of them are very good. But many many of their beers are far too expensive for the quality not being that much above or below things you can get at lower price points IMO.

36. beernazi

not at least where i go, being bristol farms, on tap its about 8 for a goblet, or 7 or so...

37. MisSigsFan

$6.50 for a pint at Toronado.

beernazi likes this.
  38. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan

The best DIPA is Double Crooked Tree and it cost $5.00 for a 12 ounce bottle.

39. beernazi

exactly, toronado on some good ass prices for draft, bottles, they know what they have....

40. MisSigsFan

Honestly though, Toronado has much better stuff than Pliny. Shit, The Pupil is on regularly. Gimme some of that!

beernazi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.