1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

What does it take to land a CBS?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by Mar02x, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Mar02x

Mar02x Aug 29, 2011 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

Maybe this is not the right forum, but I want to ask this to the fellows who got some bottles across the pond.

So tell me what ammo should I use?

thx Mark
  2. Brabander

Brabander Oct 10, 2009 Netherlands

The usual Mark, Heineken old brown! Honestly no idea. I had some for Westvleteren 12.

claaark13 likes this.
  3. Dennoman

Dennoman Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

Then again you are of that rare species that manages to get everything for Westy 12. Tuppence I say, tuppence! :p

CBS shouldn't be too hard Mark. They act all dramatic over waiting lists and stuff, but in the end it's roughly on par with Black Tuesday. Fou Foune should pretty much do it, even though it's hit the US by now. At least as part of a bigger trade, it's still fair from a $4$ perspective.
  4. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Oct 2, 2010 Netherlands

Have you tried to offer a SNR10?
    If you want Maple beer also try Lawsons Maple Stout.
    Some Canadian guy I know brought it over to my house once and it was brilliant.
    pschul4 and Mar02x like this.
  5. Mar02x

Beer Trader

THx guys,

For one reason or another, this thread was remove by Todd.
  6. CarolinaKevin

CarolinaKevin Feb 28, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I traded CBS for a BA Speedway a couple times, seemed pretty even to me
  7. Mar02x

Beer Trader

Holy shit dude, that's a heavy gun
  8. codysjb

codysjb Jun 16, 2010 Prince Edward Island (Canada)
    Beer Trader

On par with BT? Unlikely from what I hear, but possible. Additionally, BT in 2012 and 2011 has been "widely" available enough to allow pretty much anyone with a computer and the knowhow to be on at 12pm on the right day to purchase it. People spent hours driving to find CBS to come up empty handed and BT is much easier to trade for right now. Fou Foune may grab it but BT certainly will not grab CBS (if it did, you would see a ton of ISO FT trades for it right now).

Coming from Europe, CBS will probably require some heavy hitters. I'd think Armand and Tommy may get it due to it not being available in the U.S. Anything by narke should manage, blabaer should get it done and SNR10 should do it as well. Fou Foune could probably be obtained without international shipping so even though it may grab CBS, if someone can get it without paying the excessive overseas shipping they are going to.

Good luck
  9. funhog

funhog Mar 8, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I did BCBS Vanilla for a CBS, FYI
  10. doogie71628

doogie71628 May 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I traded an 09 bcbs bomber, though technically I sent that bottle to someone who sent a kuhnehnn raspberry eisbock to the person that sent me the CBS.
  11. caguiar

caguiar Jul 5, 2011 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Traded a CBS for Barrel Aged Yeti a little while back.
  12. ryanfolty

ryanfolty Jul 17, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Hopefully you got a good bottle, I traded for a BA Yeti and it was infected.
  13. given2flybrewing

given2flybrewing Dec 19, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

For what it is worth, we popped a CBS recently and it was a shell of its former self. Very little barrel/maple character. Not a total disapointment, just not the same.
    chardlogic and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  14. caguiar

caguiar Jul 5, 2011 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Very Infected unfortunately but a risk I guess we all take as traders.
  15. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

I traded a FouFoune for CBS last year. That was a domestic US trade.

Our tasting group didn't think too much of the Founders then.
  16. Dennoman

Yeah, A&T seems like an adequate guess. I got my bottle in a trade this big that I can't even remember if it was a glorified extra or a 1:1 for one of the three A&Ts I sent out. I think Blabaer might be a little over the top, maybe a 375. I never considered CBS to be *that* big a problem, but I might be underestimating a little. It's also not as hyped as most of the other big stouts seem to be. How does the CBS release work? It's just basically a brewery-only release that gets sold out so quickly that they have to put people on a waiting list?
  17. codysjb

Beer Trader

It wasn't brewery only, it was distributed to all of founder's market. The big issue with obtaining it is the press it got and that it was only released one time. It's consistently in the top 5 "best beers" on this and most other beer review sites. As a result, people went crazy trying to get a bottle. There is no date on when (or if) it will be released next so the release from a year and a half ago is the only release. I'm not sure about in europe, but in the U.S. its almost as hyped as most other big stouts that were released one time like BCBS Rare. Its not released every year so you don't see the "where do I find X" beer threads for CBS like you do for KBS or BCBS but thats ony because the answer to where do I find CBS is nowhere atm. It's the massive awareness combined with the one limited release that makes it hard to get: Everyone wants one and its hard to obtain.
    lucas1801 likes this.
  18. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Apr 17, 2007 Illinois

I had two bottles left - gave one to a friend because he's a mensch, and the other I traded for a Hardywood GBS gift pack(two bottles and two glasses), with a couple extras on my end to even out the $4$.
  19. raczkowski

raczkowski May 16, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

i got one a couple months ago for some cigar city stuff...i went over $4$ but the limited availability of CBS forced me to give up some more bottles. i think i gave up marshall zhukov, moat water, and Imperial sweet stout aged in cognc barrels for 1 cbs...guy hooked me up with 2 KBS though, and he also sent me some goose isand stuff and i have to recoup later on...all in all, i made a friend and get to try a beer that is not brewed ever year. i am happy...just have to find a day to pop that bottle.
  20. Mar02x

Beer Trader

I had the CBS before and there is no way that I am going to trade insane quantities or rarer bottles for it. Thanks for all the advice though. I feel a wiser man :)
  21. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Feb 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

When CBS was worth trading for I traded BT11 for it 1 for 1 three times. I would no longer make this trade as CBS is not the beer it was, and I'd guess this is why you don't see it happening these days.

Edit: posting from my phone sucks.
    Mar02x likes this.
  22. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think people value CBS higher tha BT 2011.
    Anonymous1 and codysjb like this.
  23. codysjb

Beer Trader

I guess the value of BT may have decreased slightly since 2011 due to it being released again and in bigger numbers. I don't think you could land CBS with a BT 11 or 12.
  24. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Feb 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I agree that many people think this. I also think that many who actually care how beer tastes do not.
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  25. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Well I care how beer tastes, and neither black tuesday nor CBS are my thing. I have 1 BT 2011, and 1 CBS I value the CBS higher
  26. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

If your trading for a CBS, insist on it being as fresh as possible. This is NOT a beer that I consider as aging well.
    m4ttj0nes likes this.
  27. pschul4

pschul4 Jan 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

sadly, they've only done a big bottle release once so the OPs options are limited in terms of freshness
  28. youbrewidrink

Beer Trader

I had it both on draft, fresh and a 6 month old bottle. The draft killed it!
    doopiedoopiedoo and pschul4 like this.
  29. pschul4

pschul4 Jan 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I drank my bottle 2 months after release and had another bottle 10 months after release. Completely agree with you! Fresh was way way better. Now if I could try it on tap.... :homer drooling sound:
  30. Fujii13

Fujii13 Apr 27, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm hoping Armbsy Abbey still has a couple of kegs kicking around for StoutFest this year. I missed out on last year's Founders Breakfast and I won't be making the same mistake this year!
  31. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

They get new kegs of it every year I believe.
  32. Dennoman

I think that's a rule of thumb for Founders. So far, what I've tasted fresh has absolutely destroyed anything aged. Would need to try more of their stuff, as I've only gotten round to their stouts and Devil Dancer TIPA.
  33. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

How can you insist on the CBS being as fresh as possible? CBS has only been bottled once.
  34. youbrewidrink

Beer Trader

You completely missed the point. If it ain't fresh, don't trade the farm for it!

CORKSCREWFISH Apr 22, 2011 Illinois

36. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Bolt Cutter has me thinking that age could do it worlds of wonder. I liked the pineapple flavor, but the heat was too much!
  37. claaark13

claaark13 Nov 29, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Anyone who thinks that a CBS is near the value of Blabaer is either high or has an interest in the market thinking they're comparable bottles.
    MrKennedy and aasher like this.
  38. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Hell Fou'Foune isn't either, or Vignerrone...or LP Framboise...of Cuvée St. Gilloise.
  39. randomdanger

randomdanger Aug 11, 2008 New Jersey

I so wish that was true.
  40. codysjb

Beer Trader

I don't think cbs would fetch blabaer, but in terms of getting someone to ship overseas, it takes more than whatever you could get in the u.s.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!