What ever happened to Beer Geek Nation?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by OTB, Nov 30, 2018.

1. OTB

OTB Devotee (409) Sep 2, 2011 California

Over a Holiday bottle share someone brought up BGN and Chris, I went to check out the sight and it looks like he's gone AWOL. Whether you agreed with him or not, he was THE man when It came to on line beer reviews not that long ago.

Cheers,

#1 OTB, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    GreenBayBA likes this.
  2. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (159) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Premium Trader

His last video was some beer refrigerator review. People who have asked were replied with sarcastic, dick comments. Guess he's going through something personal?

OTB likes this.
  3. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Aspirant (201) Dec 31, 2015 New York

When I first got into craft I watched his videos all the time....

4. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

He makes some pretty annoying faces while reviewing. I used to like Dave’s beer reviews but he got unbearable with labeling dates. He only rated beers that were NEIPA as top beers. I stopped watching everything altogether. Both became beer snobs that I despise.

CrimeDog likes this.
  5. Chuck2319

Chuck2319 Initiate (84) Apr 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Every beer he ever drank had notes of “coconut, molasses, dark fruit and chocolate”

GOBLIN and Invinciblejets like this.
  6. Bella56

Bella56 Initiate (15) Nov 3, 2018 Pennsylvania

I wondered the same. Maybe he moved or got a divorce. But that would probably allow him to do more. Is The master of hopped still around

EvenMoreJesus and OTB like this.
  7. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (2,781) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

8. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,167) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I'll stick with Massive Beer Reviews and his mystery beer Mondays. That dude cracks me up.

9. jamesroses

jamesroses Aspirant (285) Nov 8, 2015 Argentina

BGN went MIA. I like watching Darwin, Joe Senigaglia, Ronald Theriot and the guy with the beard and glasses. Can't remember the channels name.

10. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,482) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Beer Geek Nation has pretty much retired from Beer Reviews. He admitted that he was going to quit, sort of came back around for a few weeks, and then disappeared again.

Gemini6 likes this.
  11. seth27

seth27 Initiate (80) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

I remember he had a video a while back about how he wasn't really enjoying it anymore and then had maybe one or two videos after that.

I can see where he's coming from; turning a hobby into a quasi-job would probably be a bummer after a while. Not to mention people were getting really negative about his videos.

BlunderfulGuy and YamBag like this.
  12. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I really enjoy online beer reviews but for me many are a catch 22 because hoppy usually equals awesome and everything else equals meh so I generally can't use their reviews as a gauge for me. But I did have to laugh when the NEIPA trend gained momentum and suddenly the old A+ IPAs became "boring" and, "A few years ago I would have loved this but now..."

BGN was a lot of fun for me when I was first getting into craft.

13. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (219) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

All except Greg annoy the crap out of me! Hope he's doing better now. :slight_frown:

14. OTB

OTB Devotee (409) Sep 2, 2011 California

Yea, but I cannot stand how he snorts the shit out the glass, for some reason that really turn me off.

Cheers,

DEdesings57 and StoutSnob40 like this.
  15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,906) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Now I'd like to see your face while reviewing. I couldn't say I'd want my photo taken while reviewing, let alone a video.

16. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,400) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

It got too lonely at the top for him.

thuey, Onemoresolo and DEdesings57 like this.
  17. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Initiate (140) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky

Master of Hoppets, Massive Beer Reviews, and Rampant Lion Reviews are my go to reviewers. Greg seems a touch sour in his videos these days.

MassiveBeerReviews and Prep8611 like this.
  18. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I definitely don’t make faces. I drink like a normal human.

PatrickCT, mambossa and Harrison8 like this.
  19. ctbeergeek

ctbeergeek Initiate (49) Oct 28, 2018 California

Beer Geek Nation was my intro to the YouTube beer review world - miss it, but there are a lot of great channels out there to fill the void...
    Massive Beer Reviews is my favorite (especially Mystery Beer Monday's) and Jow's Arcade is another go-to for some great content.

20. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (433) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota

He'd gained alot of weight, dialed the beer/alcohol "hobby" back, lost a ton of weight, then tried to continue. He quickly realized that any hobby that involves alcohol wasn't sustainable with a healthy lifestyle and called it quits for good.

Celtics76 and moshea like this.
  21. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (878) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

"Oh yeah . . . right in the front of the tongue"

TheGent, StoutSnob40 and Prep8611 like this.
  22. MoreBeer4me

MoreBeer4me Aspirant (272) Aug 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

It starts to get tiring when the realization hits that no money will ever be made doing beer videos as they never get an insane number of views. And in addition to this, many people think subscribers on YouTube leads to traffic on their website where they can sell things.

Well, it doesn't (usually). I've checked many YouTuber's websites who have hundreds of thousands of subs and their site traffic is non-existent. And making $$$ with things like Amazon affiliate links in the video description requires a ton of views, which beer vids don't get.

On another note, that Ronald Theriot guy on YouTube cracks me up. Everything tastes like bread, crusty bread, brown bread, day old bread, mama's bread, whatever. Plus some of the beers he does are supreme trailer trash. About a week ago he did Bud Light Orange!

23. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (159) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Premium Trader

He's on AB InBev payroll

24. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (664) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Yes. I'm guessing he quit due to health reasons and is bitter about it so hasn't bothered explaining why he left.

25. MassiveBeerReviews

MassiveBeerReviews Initiate (118) Apr 12, 2012 Pennsylvania

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Doooooooooood, it annoys the shit out of me too!

I actually don't re-watch my reviews so I didn't realize how craptastic it was till someone pointed it out to me relatively recently. It's the LAV mic and it's position .... not saying I don't throw my nose in there like Gary Busey at the tail end of a 4 day bender ... but when i switched to a LAV mic and where I put it, it just picks that shit up like craaaaaaaaaazy.

Switched back to a shotgun mic a week or so ago (a couple weeks of backlog with the old mic)

26. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Aspirant (294) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Behind the Bar > Everything

admobeer34 likes this.
  27. StoutSnob40

Premium Trader

He's definitely more quality over quantity. Reviews some amazing stuff.

admobeer34 likes this.
  28. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (664) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

thuey likes this.
  29. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (35) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

I'm sure he would be pretty flattered to know that he has a thread on a beer advocate forum. I liked beer Geek nation, but preferred Darwin and Joe Senigaglia.

admobeer34 likes this.
  30. StoutSnob40

Premium Trader

Yeah, looks like he gained his weight back. Too bad. It's tough to keep it off, for sure...

He seemed like a nice dude, so you hope he stopped doing reviews because he was just over it, and not because something is preventing him.

ESHBG likes this.