What happened to cask conditioned beers?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by rplamann, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rplamann

rplamann Initiate (99) Jul 19, 2006 Wisconsin

Random question, but what happened to cask conditioned beers?? They were all the rage about 8-10 years ago and I recently got to thinking that I haven't seen many lately. Any thoughts??

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
  2. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (506) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

In Ohio, we have a cask-only brewery called Laxton Hollow (http://www.laxtonhollow.com/index.html)

The beers are fantastic. They literally only have 4 beers on tap (Porter, Bitter, Golden) and a seasonal. Naturally carbonated, hand pumped, traditional style English recipes.

We enjoyed the place immensely. Don't hear much about it, but I would highly recommend to anybody who enjoys these types of beers to stop in. Much better than most cask ales i've had at other breweries, which doesn't surprise me as they specialize in them.

5thOhio, scream, chrismattlin and 2 others like this.
  3. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

They figured they could make more money if they changed cask to barrel and then passed it through a brite tank.....

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

JohnnyChicago and novamat like this.
  5. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Savant (979) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Rock Bottom brewpubs still always have one available (rotating style). It's always nice to have one every time I make a visit.

MountainKing likes this.
  6. BeachHoppy

BeachHoppy Initiate (142) Jan 16, 2005 Michigan

We went to the "Real Ale Festival" in Chicago a few times before it was discontinued, and it was a great time. Perhaps this is a reincarnation of that? Thanks for the info.

FBarber likes this.
  7. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I love cask ale. It is almost always my 1st choice when available. The wife and I did a beer tour of England for our 25th-using the CAMRA guide. Great time !

CannedWaggoneer and FBarber like this.
  8. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Great Dane in Madison usually has a cask beer.

9. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

One of only a handful in the entire US.
    Don't call yourself a beer geek if you haven't been there.

ChicagoJ and invertalon like this.
  10. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,559) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

I haven't been there. I live 335 miles away & have never heard of it.

Does that really mean I'm not a "beer geek"?

You can't know everything!!
    :stuck_out_tongue:

FBarber likes this.
  11. Djc

Djc Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2014 Ohio

I hate cask beer. Flat and warm.

12. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Yes, unfortunately.
    But you can remedy that. 335 miles is only a 5 hr trip...one way.

FBarber and GuyFawkes like this.
  13. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

Most consumers don’t get it and very few breweries know how to handle it. Cask conditioning can do incredible things for certain beers, but when done wrong or treated like a Randall, the results are usually atrocious.

CannedWaggoneer and Jplachy like this.
  14. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (99) May 1, 2017 Ohio

Lol, I think you don't really know what we're talking about.

But thanks OP for asking this question. I haven't even heard of Laxton Hollow and I'm under an hour away. I definitely need to go. Had this place existed 10 or so years ago it would have been very popular. Now its all about gross NEIPAs and pastry stouts and no one wants to actually drink a beer while sitting at a bar.

invertalon and FBarber like this.
  15. EvilMidnightBomber

EvilMidnightBomber Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Wisconsin

Vintage Brewing usually has one as well. At least the one in Madison does, haven't been to the new Sauk location to know if they do it there too.

16. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (156) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Link's usually has a cask beer on tap

17. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,911) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

My guess is that some of the same people are involved. I know one guy who loves cask ale, and was involved worth the old festival.

18. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (506) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Absolutely try to make it there! It just has a real cool little vibe in the pub area (it's connected to like this wine bar/restaurant, but the beer bar is in it's own little room). We really enjoyed each beer they had, completely unique to what everybody else is doing anymore. I thought the beers were very well made. Carbonation, while lower of course, were not flat at all and served at a very good chilled temp. Service was exceptional the day we were there and it was just a good time all around.

The day we were there they had the Bitter, Porter, Golden Ale and ISB (India Special Bitter...) on tap. The Bitter was my favorite, absolutely delicious. I could drink pint after pint of those, no doubt. The porter was solid, more roast heavy than I had expected but not astringent or anything. The Golden Ale I recall had a vivid, doughy pretzel aroma and flavor which was actually a real standout in a good way. It complimented the food we got there very well. The ISB I don't remember, but I don't recall it being anything too worthwhile.

Now I want to go back after talking about it some more... On a side note we went to Phoenix Brewing right after and I really wish we just stayed at Laxton, FWIW!

19. DrippingI

DrippingI Initiate (186) Apr 12, 2012 Indiana

I haven't been there before, but I believe Union Brewing in Carmel, Indiana is a cask-only brewery.

20. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (253) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Not Great Lakes, but if you ever make it down to STL then hit up Civil Life. They usually haveat least one great cask beer.

mbockstruck30 and FBarber like this.
  21. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Their stuff is fantastic! I go there every other time I’m in StL

PhilBallins likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.