What happened to Dinkelacker in the USA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Cstamp3084, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Cstamp3084

Cstamp3084 Initiate (76) May 3, 2020 Maryland
    Trader

I’ve been on a German Pilsner kick lately. I have been trying all the imported brands I can find. I remember seeing dinkelacker cd pils in total wine but never tried it. Now every time I go to any total wine they are sold out. After searching I found a Facebook post back in June from a bottle shop in North Carolina claiming to have some from the last batch shipped to the USA. Have you guys seen dinkelacker lately and does anyone know who the importer is?

2. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Cstamp3084 likes this.
  3. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,205) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I talked to the beer manager at a local store a few months back and he told me they had pulled USA distro. Just one managers word but it does coincide with what you found on that facebook post as well.

Elfastball7, Chaz and Bitterbill like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,429) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Just make sure you check dates.

It has been a while since I have purchased German brewed Pilsners since they are typically old at my local beer retailers.

Hopefully you will have better luck in your area.

Cheers!

Chaz likes this.
  5. Cstamp3084

Trader

I found one place within 100 miles that has it according to Untappd I will call to confirm

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. Cstamp3084

Trader

every one I have had so far has been 5-8 months old but all have tasted great. If it’s over a year old I’m passing on it.

Bitterbill and jonphisher like this.
  7. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,373) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

SH Imports was carrying it, but it looks like they've dropped it... AND changed names. Weird.

Bitterbill and jesskidden like this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,426) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

In Pennsylvania an "Importing Distributor" isn't a company that imports beer from outside the US, but their legal term for what is called a "wholesaler" or "wholesale distributor" in most other states.
    --- PA STATE POLICE LIQUOR CONTROL

9. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, it's pretty confusing (always was, even back in the era of Spaten North America East and Spaten North America West). According to SHW Brands (not to be confused with S&H > Louis Sieb ---- but it is confused with it).
    Louis Sieb (and wife? daughter? Irene) were pres. and vp of Spaten North America East, which became S&H East (even tho' located in Denver).

Their ABOUT page isn't too helpful. :grin:

#9 jesskidden, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    grantcty, Chaz, steveh and 2 others like this.
  10. steveh

Society

@jesskidden -- what's even more confusing is that Hildebrandt was with S&H up until not that long ago (H in the S&H).*

And I see SHW has maintained distributorship of Dinkelacker -- @Cstamp3084

*Ah - I see now that Sieb has the subtitle of S&H East... so yeah, maybe they just liked that old separation of powers from the pre AB-InBev Spaten days.

#10 steveh, Jan 16, 2022
  11. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, and on the Louis Sieb site's "Our Team" page it says:
    With a link to S&H West that is defunct, but, obviously it's meant for the new SHW site - the "W" no doubt for "West" ... or is it "Wagner"? So, is Irene Wagner the same woman as Irene Sieb (married vs maiden name) - both names are listed as the "manager" of S&H?
    And here = Irene R Sieb - Other observed names | Irene Wagner

Wait, what was the question? :grin:

Or just not kept their website up to date? I don't know, with these two outfits, if I'd trust anything on the websites.:wink:

12. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,236) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

13. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,236) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Oops.....Snow in the computer....

14. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,243) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

What a logjam this turned out to be, and an all around shame for a good and once reliable brand name!

As I recall… Spaten North America had Dinkel Acker as a part of its portfolio until the “purchase” (merger and acquisition, and subsequent consolidation, although Interbrew had had a minority stake in the company as far back as 1994) with the new parent (Interbrew, later InBev), roughly 20 years ago.

Just prior to that, the import division had made a format addition (adding 2x12 330mL N.R. to the 20x500 mL, 4 x 3L mini kegs, and 4x6 N.R. master cases) and doing something of a “push” for the Dinkel Acker brands.

This was great for the brand name in the North American market, because it had always had a lesser presence and focus than Spaten (and other Munich brands). BUT… then comes the big reorganization, and the Dinkel Acker brands are lost in the shuffle, unlike the Spaten brands somehow made to remain a part of the Anheuser-Busch North America import division (which —like most of the other importers— has changed names and staff so frequently it isn’t even funny). What a wasted effort!

When fresh, both the Pils and Dunkel were good (if not great) stylistic examples. But as they were always of lesser focus than the Spaten brands, it was difficult to find them regularly, let alone fresh. And this is twenty-plus years ago, before the BIG reshuffle of the deck at InBev.

When Dinkel Acker finally returned to the U.S. (in 2014, or so?) after many years, it was only the Pils, and only available in ONE format — 500 mL cans.

Even when fresh, this new formulation of the Pils was a dull shadow of its former self, with no real crispness or sharpness. No doubt that it had over the decades fallen to the same name brand value of the most basic (and cheap) “Fernseh” biers, but it had at one point been a fairly good Pils, and this seemed to be the final nail in the coffin of the brand. To which end, there are nowadays much better U.S.-brewed (Craft and larger, quasi-Craft brands such as Trumer) Pilsners available without too much driving around town, and so it isn’t a great loss.

I don’t think the Dunkel ever made it here, although the Oktoberfest bier did receive similar, canned treatment. And while at least good (and much better than the flagship brand) it was likewise spotty in availability.

Like I said: A sad turn of events for a formerly good and reliable brand.

15. jesskidden

Society Trader

"Drink a Dink" as they used to say.
    [​IMG]

officerbill, rgordon, Jaycase and 8 others like this.
  16. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,243) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

A fine slogan to return to! :grin:

Hey! At least the tee-shirts would be all the rage on etsy.

officerbill likes this.
  17. steveh

Society

When DA was first distributed in the US it was actually brewed under license by Spaten for export -- I had to double-take the label. My local retailer always had great 12-pack prices and the Pils was my house beer for a very long time.

When AB-InBev started mucking around with Spaten they dropped the DA brewing -- maybe Spaten USA had something to do with teaming Spaten & Dinkelacker, dunno.

But I agree with Chaz, when DA started coming back to the US, direct from Stuttgart, it wasn't the same beer to my palate and I was disappointed. Their Okto wasn't any better to me.

#17 steveh, Jan 16, 2022
    PapaGoose03 likes this.
  18. steveh

Society

FWIW -- I had the DA Okto insitu at the Canstatter Volkfest and it was great -- something about exporting it just isn't working.

19. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, I thought I remembered that, too, in recent years but couldn't find any info on it.

Well, that wasn't the first time, at least not on the east coast - it was around in the 1960s (below left - NJ State prices) into the 1980s, imported by Dieter Steinmann, Inc., founded in the 1960s and claimed to be the "sole US importer" of Dinkelacker.

[​IMG]
    I remember coming across it on tap in some strange places (like little bars set up in the back of a liquor store, once common in NJ) and being pretty cheap, too. But, in the 1970s, "cheap" for an import might have meant 50¢ a glass rather than 75¢ - 90¢.

#19 jesskidden, Jan 16, 2022
    Bitterbill, Chaz and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. steveh

Society

I'll have to see if I saved a label.
    Okay, first time in *my* drinking lifetime (which is actually a pretty freaking long time). :wink:

I wish I could remember when I first saw DA and decided to give it a try -- probably early 90s. I just remember it had a great mix of bready melanoidin malt and spicy bitter noble hops. Something I haven't encountered in any German (or German-style) Pils since, except fresh Ayinger Bavarian Pils.

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Found it. Back when they were still Spaten North America and on Long Island - early 2000s label below.[​IMG]

So... ya missed out on the 50¢ draughts, I guess?:grimacing:

Bitterbill, BBThunderbolt and steveh like this.
  22. steveh

Society

I remember an all green border back in the 90s -- but maybe my memory playing tricks.
    Never saw DA on draft anywhere around here -- but a lot of .50¢ BMC drafts at college! :grin::nauseated_face:

(and those were probably 10 oz. glasses! :rolling_eyes:)

Bitterbill likes this.
  23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,952) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Also "The Mercedes of beers", which may have been true 40 years ago. :wink::sunglasses:

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. TongoRad

Society Trader

I was going to suggest a substitute but then noticed that you're already familiar with Schilling. :grin:

Cstamp3084 likes this.
  25. steveh

Society

[​IMG]

Okay, maybe green to gold. Prolly the green bottle playing the trix.

But metallic gold. :wink:

#25 steveh, Jan 16, 2022
    Bitterbill likes this.
  26. steveh

Society

Well, MB being headquartered in Stuttgart along with DA might have been the hook.

At least they didn't choose Porsche. :wink:

Bitterbill and TongoRad like this.
  27. steveh

Society

I always want to say Trumer, but then I remember they aren't widely distributed.

Cstamp3084 and TongoRad like this.
  28. TongoRad

Society Trader

Dinkel Acker? Never heard of it :wink::grin:
    [​IMG]

officerbill, dcotom, Scrapss and 9 others like this.
  29. steveh

Society

Uh, dude? When did you last use that boot? :grin::astonished:

BTW -- Where was the mini keg brewed?

30. TongoRad

Society Trader

Heh, it's been a decoration since the 1980s. Probably time for a good cleaning, though. :wink:

31. TongoRad

Society Trader

'West' Germany :wink:
    [​IMG]

That's actually a recent acquisition that my wife got at a garage sale- a pretty good find on her part.

32. Cstamp3084

Trader

[​IMG]
    At 9 months old this one is pretty damn tasty. I’ve had no luck finding dinkelacker in Md, va, or dc. I have reached out to a few distributors. I’ll see if I get a response.

33. steveh

Society

I mentioned Ayinger Bavarian Pils before; if you can find it fresh, it's one of the best.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/184287/?ba=steveh#review

Bitterbill, deanzaZZR and TongoRad like this.
  34. TongoRad

Society Trader

I don't know if anything has changed but I've been able to get it in NJ- the most recent time was around last October. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at that store.

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. Cstamp3084

Trader

I have been as far north as voorhees nj to stock up on jacks Abby. At the time I wasn’t looking for dinkelacker but if you find some let me know I don’t mind a ride.

TongoRad likes this.
  36. Cstamp3084

Trader

so far I’ve had ayinger, rothaus, paulaner, Konig, veltins, warsteiner, bitburger, jever, radeberger, weihenstephaner and hofbrau wurzburger it comes to imported German pilsners.

officerbill, Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  37. steveh

Society

And you're still looking for Dinkelacker?

Würzburger HB is a good fresh one, too.

38. Cstamp3084

Trader

yes I went looking today with no luck ended up getting a six pack of kostrizer schwarzbier.

Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  39. steveh

Society

Heh. The "dark Pilsner." :wink:

Bitterbill and Cstamp3084 like this.
  40. TongoRad

Society Trader

Will do.

Also, if you're interested in a good Pilsner with a hoppy bite make sure to try Double Nickel the next time you're in NJ.

JackHorzempa and Cstamp3084 like this.