What Happened to the Nearby Feature?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by SLeffler27, Aug 22, 2019.

1. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,112) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Does anyone know where the Nearby Feature went? I was using it Sunday morning, then by the afternoon it was missing.

Do fellow BA’s like that feature?

2. Todd

Todd Founder (5,980) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

It's been pulled as our geo-location tagging has been broken for a while and there's no ETA to fix it. This resulted in incomplete results.

Use was very low, too.

3. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Sad. Understandable and sad. I thought it was one of the best features, even though it hadn’t updated for over a year. Still... BA has the highest quality site of it’s kind, HANDS DOWN. Thank you.

4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I hope there will be serious consideration to bringing it back soon. It was a feature that I used every time I traveled even though I knew that it displayed incomplete results. I even used it when I wasn't traveling as a tool to help plan a trip.

5. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Yeah! Exactly.

6. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (3,895) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

For what it's worth, this is the first I'm hearing about it...maybe people just didn't know?

Or, maybe I'm an idiot. This is usually the case when I don't know about something.

7. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,335) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I also hope it returns with fully updated geo-location information for new place entries. I would be OK if it was just available on mobile but I did use it on the desktop until the data became stale.

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

When Nearby comes back, I hope that the search options will again include using the telephone area code and zip code which are good for rural areas. An option to search for an SMSA to be able to get all suburbs of major cities included in a single search would also be nice to have.

And as long as I'm asking for 'pie in the sky' there's another site that I've used that has a search capability to include all breweries along a stated travel route between two cities out to a specified distance of 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100 miles from the route. Not only do you get the breweries along the route, but also the breweries in the departure and destination cities. The problem is that the database, which is extensive in the number of breweries (although I don't have a clue if it has anywhere near he same number of breweries that BA has), does not give any more than a brewery name, address and phone number. And it has no Bars, Eateries, Stores or Homebrew. But that is the search engine that would be nice on BA if it could be programmed (or a license purchased to link to it).

So that's my wish list just for Nearby's return planning.

9. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,033) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society

The Nearby feature was probably the feature I used the most. Whenever I traveled out of town or just drove to an unfamiliar neighborhood I used it. Hope it comes back.

jmdrpi, SLeffler27 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  10. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,335) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I miss the zip code search for when in physically large cities like London to know what is in the neighborhood I'm staying in.

sulldaddy, emerge077 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. SLeffler27

Society Trader

For anyone who is curious, and unable to figure it out from what has already been written...

Nearby was a map with pins locating all the places entered on BA. It used your current location and would zoom in to a few miles and out to maybe 50 miles. The user could also pan to other locations. It was great for areas where one was unfamiliar with relationships of various localities.

Each pin was an interactive link to the BA Place in question. Very easy and powerful for planning trips, even tours around home.

officerbill, KRug, sulldaddy and 3 others like this.
  12. emerge077

emerge077 Poo-Bah (10,806) Apr 16, 2005 Illinois
    Trader

Same here, the zip code search was very useful in certain scenarios. Hoping that Nearby comes back with current data and a custom search function.

sulldaddy, PapaGoose03 and SLeffler27 like this.
  13. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,266) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

add myself to the list that used it everytime I traveled for work, even with new places no in the database. I hope it's part of the new App

sulldaddy, PapaGoose03 and SLeffler27 like this.
  14. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,374) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Surprised that it wasn't used more frequently. I used it quite often. Is this a feature that will be in the app?

15. Todd

We didn't push it and only added it for those who missed it from the previous app. It was US only and grossly outdated. Thousands of listings were missing.
    No. The initial focus of the app is finding, adding, and reviewing beers.

16. cryptichead

Society Trader

But this feature is integral to finding beer:wink::grin:

jmdrpi and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. Todd

Not in its current state.

18. Boone757

Boone757 Poo-Bah (4,903) Nov 21, 2012 Virginia

I would definitely lobby to bringing it back. I used the feature all the time, especially while traveling or planning travel. Yes it was definately out of date, seemed to use a cached set of data and was not dynamic in listing new places that were added. So it needs some updating, zipcode searches, etc. But even in its deficient state it is better than not having it at all now. Plus hearing there is no ETA to fix/restore the map feature is pretty discourging. I think a map feature is essenstial to a database website like BA. Any way for member polls to be done to help prioritize updates/features?

19. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,480) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

This 1000% I used the tool for planning every time I went somewhere. I am on a trip now and used a different site due to nearby disappearing. I would like even a search function in the places list for a list of locations, the mapping part is nice but until it is up and running again, maybe we can get a return of the additional search criteria?

Thanks!

emerge077, SLeffler27 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Let’s see if I can learn a new trick. Stay tuned.

21. Todd

I appreciate the support, but there's no need to start a poll on this topic. It was simply pulled as thousands of recently added places weren't included and it needs to be fixed/overhauled. No one said that it wouldn't come back.

22. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Ok. Just having some fun along the way. And thanks for keeping hope alive. ;-)

sulldaddy, PapaGoose03 and Todd like this.
  23. Todd

As it sounds like most would rather have the feature in its broken state vs. nothing at all, I've reactivated the page and added a note about the known bug.

Places > Nearby

https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/nearby/

Cheers!

jmdrpi, Sludgeman, emerge077 and 7 others like this.
  24. cryptichead

Society Trader

Awesome! Broken state still better than nothing!

SLeffler27, PapaGoose03 and Todd like this.
  25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,829) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Who else would do such a thing? Seriously??

PapaGoose03 and SLeffler27 like this.
  26. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Excellent. Thank you. And I totally agree, we can wait for the repair. I for one understand the balance of priorities given limited resources. Seriously, thank you!

PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  27. SLeffler27

Society Trader

Exactly. BeerAdvocate provides exceptional customer service. Even knowing most users pay zilch for the service. These guys are real advocates.

PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.