what happens when a trade gets intercepted by UPS/FEDEX?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by raczkowski, Dec 27, 2012.

1. raczkowski

raczkowski Disciple (319) May 16, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I know they sometimes open a package if it is leaking etc, but what typically happens to the person who was supposed to get the box? does the sender send out another one or make good on the next box? i have never had a package get intercepted, but i have some big trades coming up and was just curious what people do if the package you send does not make it to the trader.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

If you send a box to someone and it doesn't get there, it is your responsibility to send another box.

If you are sending bottles you cannot easily replace, wrap them as if you were sending a baby in the box (I do this even with bottles I can grab off the shelf). I put everything in a large plastic lawn bag to ensure even if something does leak/break it will contain the liquid.

maximum12 and NJOssie like this.
  3. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

You need you replace/resend what you owe the other party. If you cannot replace it, you work it out with the other person so see if there is something else you can send them - or send them their own beer back

4. raczkowski

raczkowski Disciple (319) May 16, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

okay thanks for the advice guys...luckily hasnt happened to me yet(knock on wood) but just wanted to get an idea of what the standard protocol is here on BA. Thanks!

5. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,358) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

1st , make sure the box is sealed and water proof, 2nd, make sure you can't hear it slosh around. i suspect most " broken bottles/lost shipments are confiscated and or stolen". It's illegal and you have no recourse. If it sloshes and they open up and it's beer it could be gone. If a bottle breaks and they open the box they could just take the up broken bottles and label them discarded. pack well. make it leak proof, and sound proof.

6. skcusab

skcusab Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012

Depends, you could face legal issues, fines, or even jail time (in extreme situations)

7. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (11,900) Mar 18, 2010 California

I have heard about the death penalty too.

8. KevSal

KevSal Savant (910) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

They hang ya for it in Utah

9. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (909) Dec 11, 2006 Texas
    Subscriber

KevSal likes this.
  10. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

BarrytheBear and BeerBuddy2122 like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe