What homebrew are you drinking? (November 2015)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Lukass, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,445) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Hadn't seen a thread started for this one yet, so figured I'd get it goin!

2. Lukass

Society

[​IMG]

Imperial coffee stout. The first few bottles tasted like pure coffee, but after 2 months the coffee has taken a backseat, and the roast/hop bitterness is really coming through. Aside from a bit higher than normal carbonation for a RIS, I'm loving it. At 10.2% abv, it's sessionable compared to @stealth 's NMB :wink:

#2 Lukass, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  3. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Disciple (306) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I have some good ones on tap again, it's been a while since I had a full slate. Lately I've been drinking my crabapple sour, Warrior/Centennial IPA and a rye saison.

Mongrel, NiceFly, ChrisMyhre and 2 others like this.
  4. stealth

stealth Zealot (571) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

NMB is sessionable if you don't mind what comes when you awaken the next day...

swolepeer, GormBrewhouse and Lukass like this.
  5. DukeCola

DukeCola Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2015 New Hampshire

That looks darn tasty. I got a RIS in the fermenter now.

ChrisMyhre and Lukass like this.
  6. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

Enjoying this awkwardly nice weather with some awkwardly juicy and tropical TRopic Hands.

7. stealth

First bottle of the second batch of The Raisinator. Sour blonde aged on sauv blanc French oak and golden raisins for a year. Fermented with the yeast from the first batch of Raisinator, which used a starter grown with Beatification dregs (batch 2 and 5). More complex this time around due to the increased oak duration and funkier yeast. So good.
    [​IMG]

8. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Just wondering how you get that color from a Blonde and Golden Raisins?

9. Slatetank

Slatetank Poo-Bah (5,695) Oct 9, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

French oak?

10. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

It shouldn't. The oak was soaked in Sauv Blanc which is a white wine. The oak shouldn't alter the color that much.

11. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

A malty side IPA brewed with Azacca. Right now my palate is off (just sneezed a thousand times in a row. had a claratin and mucus buster which should clear that up). The gravity sample from a few days ago tasted better than this does and I added 2oz dry hops since then. It is darker because I used some roasted barley for color, some munich for flavor. Fermented with us05. Good beer I just need to clear my palate before commenting on the hops.
    [​IMG]

ChrisMyhre, pinyin, Naugled and 3 others like this.
  12. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Another IPA

malts - pale, mild, carastan and victory
    sugar - raw cane

kettle hops - Equinox and Cascade
    dry hop - Ahtanum

yeast - Scottish ale

6.8 srm
    7% abv
    82 ibu

First time using Equinox. Pretty happy with it. Strong lemon/lime and a moderate red apple flavor that some might consider tropical fruit. Mild dank aroma from the boil. No green pepper. Maybe green pepper happens with a dry hop?

13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

First pour off my "New England" style IPA. I used the malt bill and hop schedule, with some slight tweaks, as the Fort Point recipe. I adjusted my water to have a 120ppm Calcium Chloride and 60ppm Sulfate. Also, first time using London 3 yeast.

[​IMG]

It's a 6.5% hop sorbet. Creamy, hoppy, soft and just a touch of bitterness to balance it out (I did add more FW hops than the recipe had at 60, as I am a west coaster after all).

[​IMG]

14. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (541) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Ust finished the last of JohnSnowNW house Pale. Definatly will make more next spring. Now onto the bilokin pumpkin ale and its 60 degrees in VT right now. Frickin crazy

ChrisMyhre, JohnSnowNW and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  15. stealth

It's the raisins crazily enough. Takes it from a bright blonde to deep orange. That pic looks more reddish but it's more like a deep orange.
    Here's a pic of a still sample from bottling day:
    [​IMG]

16. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

[​IMG]

Hoppy Session (3.8%) Amber, with Exp. Otto Supreme and Mosaic. Brewed for the cake to pitch a Barleywine. Pretty good, but was looking for a little more malt...have to up the specialty ratio next time.

17. zimm421

zimm421 Meyvn (1,146) Jan 24, 2009 Ohio

[​IMG]
    I never did figure out what style to call this. It was bottled in August of 2014. 61% Pilsner, 17% Wheat, 17% Rye and 4% Crystal 40. Hopped with Citra and Motueka, fermented with WLP644. It was very fruity when fresh, and has only gotten more interesting over time. Great peach, lemon and pineapple notes with some funk coming through at the end. Glad I've held on to a few.

18. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

Dark mild clocking in at 3% ABV and 1.013 FG. Tough to get a true to color picture here as the sun starts to set. It's actually pretty brown in appearance. Like @JohnSnowNW 's amber, this was also brewed as a starter for a barleywine. Cheers fine gents!

[​IMG]

19. Mag00n

Mag00n Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 New York

s04, chinook, simcoe, columbus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. YouMeUs13

YouMeUs13 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2013 California

Enjoying a nice pumpkin porter... great spice notes and malted flavor!! First time trying this one!

21. Mag00n

Mag00n Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 New York

Thanks sir. Its 2 row with a little wheat and a touch of cara red. Heavy whirlpool & dry hop.

22. psnydez86

[​IMG]
    NE DIPA that was kegged on 9/21. Nose isn't as intense, but London 3 clearly is showing no signs of clearing. And I'm okay with that.

Although as I drink this beer in the dark....I ponder these hazy beers, and how much appearance really doesn't matter to me. I wish that this beer could be crystal clear...and maintain this mouthfeel. I have a beer on right now that has 18% flaked oats, but even it doesn't have the creamy filling mouthfeel that this London 3 beer does.

If your appalled by the hazy nature of London 3 in hoppy beers.....simply shut off all the lights and prepare for an evening of enchantment.

23. Brew_Betty

After a hard day of dealing with numerous borderline incompetent corporate morons, I am treating myself to a well deserved, two year old, oaked cherry Flanders or three. Mouth watering sour. Made in a bucket, but it doesn't taste like vinegar.

#mythbustersourbeer

24. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Racked/dryhopped an IPA to keg and am now drinking a "Deutschebag Wheat" and chasing with a Celebration

NiceFly, ChrisMyhre and psnydez86 like this.
  25. ithacabaron

ithacabaron Savant (924) Jul 16, 2003 California
    Society

Enjoying the last bit of a very nice Boho Pils on tap. Lots of big grassy Saaz, bready malt, and a whiff of lager yeast.

NiceFly, ChrisMyhre and psnydez86 like this.
  26. psnydez86

Must have a real nice lid on that bad boy.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  27. suavo

suavo Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2014

Drinking an Orval clone brewed with just an Orval dregs starter...Not cloned but Orval all the way...way funkier than Orval but unmistakable Orval...Super

NiceFly and ChrisMyhre like this.
  28. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

Marionberry sour quad. A smooth 12% ABV. A little young at two years old.

NiceFly, ChrisMyhre and Lukass like this.
  29. suavo

suavo Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2014

So...It's a big, big blackberry sour brew...sounds awesome

30. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Experimental IPA that hasn't carbed up properly yet :slight_frown:

Hopped with US Chinook, German Northern Brewer, and New Zealand Saaz. Dryhopped with the same + peppermint tea.

Aroma is really nice (lychee & apricot, with floral aspects), but not at all what I was expecting (hop profiles would suggest grapefruit, spice, pine, mint, earthy). Also no peppermint is coming through at all.

Flavour is... slightly disappointing, although will wait for proper carbonation before final judgement. It's a bit too sweet, and has a strange aspect that I just can't quite pick. Very subtle mint coming through, but only if you are looking for it. I think I can pick up a bit of spicyness, but could just be my imagination.

NiceFly likes this.
  31. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

Just tapped a Maris Otter Belgian Golden Strong. Just Gleneagles Floor Malted Maris, ~15% sugar, Glacier and Sonnet Goldings hops. It's addictive. Bready, biscuit malt, but finishes dry, with some spice/phenol from the yeast (WL Belgian Ale blend). 9% ABV, crazy easy to drink. Needs a bit more carb though.

[​IMG]

NiceFly, Lukass and CurtFromHershey like this.
  32. stealth

Drinking some hard rootbeer while watching terminator
    [​IMG]

NiceFly, pinyin, Mag00n and 6 others like this.
  33. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,036) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Front projection? Cool. Don't see that much anymore.

stealth likes this.
  34. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (541) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Gotta love Arnold

stealth likes this.
  35. Brew_Betty

It's a 7.9 gallon bucket. The standard lid for that style of bucket seals like a vault. I haven't had any problems using it for sour beers aged 6-9 months in the bucket.

The more common 6.5 gallon bucket's lid does not seal well. I don't use them for sour beers.

psnydez86 likes this.
  36. stealth

So many high quality projectors at good prices now, combined with a screen that can be had for <$100, you can't really beat the bang for the buck.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  37. Lukass

Society

First kegged homebrew - a centennial IPA. Tasting very fresh! Need to figure out the balance of pressure/line length to reduce the foaming though. This photo was taken a few minutes after the pour so the foam settled down quite a bit.

[​IMG]

GetMeAnIPA, NiceFly, jlordi12 and 3 others like this.
  38. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,036) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but unless that tower is actively cooled, you may get substantial "first pour foam" each time you pour a beer after not pouring one for a while, no matter what you do to the line length. Towers look great, but first pour foam was one reason I decided to go with a keezer with collar mounted faucets instead. Good Luck.

39. Lukass

Society

Eh, it's ok. I just need to pour slow. I also got this kegerator for free, so I can't complain too much. There's always room for an upgrade down the road.

40. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

One thing you can do is add a computer case fan to circulate air up into the tower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.