What Homebrew Are You Drinking Now? (2019)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loebrygg

loebrygg Aspirant (222) Jun 4, 2016 Norway
    Deactivated

Maple Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

[​IMG]

2. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

[​IMG]
    First pour of my GF Juicy Bits clone. I crushed my efficiency and decided not to dilute and it also over attenuated, so it's 8.14%. Tastes great, but there is a tinge of booze in there.

3. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,410) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Nice blog post!

I also brew a no-boil NEIPA at least 3-4 times/year and love it. Plus I enjoy the quick brew day. I've honed in on Golden Promise and oats, mashed at 158F. Still trying to figure out the best hop combo, but Citra, Denali and Rakau have worked great in the past, and results in a 'pineapple juice' of a beer.

I let mine naturally cool overnight in the fermenter, pitch Omega's Hornindal and ferment at 95F. Cold and carbed in 10 days. I'm going to have to try your recipe out sometime though, as it looks completely different

4. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (454) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

Awesome!

Honestly I was just going for the simplest recipe I could imagine (and using hops I already had on hand). You could make it even simpler by not even pasteurizing the wort, but I think it's a small price to pay in terms of time/effort to help ensure there's no infection.

I plan to mess around with it more (and probably try an all-grain version) soon.

Lukass, skleice and riptorn like this.
  5. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2008 Illinois

That looks great! Would you mind sharing the recipe and any process tips? I've been interested in giving a GF NEIPA a try...

deadwolfbones, skleice and riptorn like this.
  6. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (175) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois

DDH NE IPA w/ Galaxy and Chinook

7. skleice

Thanks! I'll write something up when i have a chance. Everything post-mash is normal, but the mash is a more involved than typical brewing.

dukedevil0 likes this.
  8. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,218) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

West Coast DIPA. Warrior, Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial. Pine resin and citrus. The bitterness makes me nostalgic. [​IMG]

9. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (761) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

Better pic of the Mandarina Blonde I posted last month. So good...

[​IMG]

10. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2018 California

Czech Pils
    German Magnum & Czech Saaz
    Bohemian Pils, Carafoam, Melanoidin
    5.5% ABV IBU- Balanced
    Been lagering for about a month. Definitely getting better with age.

11. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,028) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Imperial Sweet Stout, dry beaned with w/ Coffee and Vanilla. (Plantarum fermented habanero and cherry pepper hot sauce with raspberries peeking through the glass.)
    [​IMG]

12. Bburns87

Took me a second to realize the final portion wasn’t included in the beer... I was like what the hell was this guy thinking

13. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2008 Illinois

Thanks for the separate writeup / thread on Gluten Free Brewing! For those that haven't seen: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/gluten-free-brewing.610778/

Will definitely have to try GF out.

What grain bill did you use for the GF Juicy Bits? Or could you make that recipe public on your Brewers Friend account if it's on there...? :slight_smile:

skleice likes this.
  14. skleice

I don't want to make it public because I'm still tweaking it. I'm obsessed with increasing head retention/body and this grist didn't do it.

I've been doing a number of SMaSH brews and simple grain bills to really get a sense of what each ingredient brings to the table, but it takes a lot of batches to see results. I'm really feeling that I see the most head retention from the crystal malts. I'm also trying new malts from Colorado Malting Co, but again, it takes so much time.

A good general bill would be:
    75% Pale Millet
    10% Pale buckwheat
    10% Biscuit rice (helps with lautering too)
    5% Light roasted millet or similar

15. Bburns87

Another NE IPA. Citra, El Dorado, Mosaic

#255 Bburns87, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  16. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (536) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Bottled message recieved ipa while brewing a rye ipa. The weather is better and the light is lasting longer so back outside for storm trooper brewing.

Lukass, Supergenious, Buck89 and 2 others like this.
  17. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,964) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

During an April snowstorm, I'm jumping the gun on my Maibock. Not fully clear, not fully carbonated, but the flavor is on track to where I want it -- malty up front, drier finish. I think with a little more carbonation to sharpen the finish, it will be the best lager I ever made,

18. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (74) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

First beer I made in 10 months. I had cashed in on the 47hops deal a little late and got 8oz of Centennial (stored in my freezer for a year). Perfect for the AHA Two-Hearted clone recipe.

19. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

20. invertalon

Trader

Now for my Rauchbier... Staged with some sausage in the background on the smoker. Mmmm

[​IMG]

#260 invertalon, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  21. skleice

Crushing this GF Passion fruit Wit while I strip the deck. Gonna tweak a couple things and brew a big batch for summer.

[​IMG]

Lukass, NorCalKid, invertalon and 6 others like this.
  22. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (210) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Trappist Single

[​IMG]

23. frozyn

frozyn Devotee (427) May 16, 2015 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Centennial barleywine.

24. invertalon

Trader

Tapped two new beers yesterday!

First up, my Doppelbock. 7.6% ABV, 26 IBU. Brewed this one with Weyermann Barke Pils, Dark Munich, Caraaroma, Melanoidin and Carafa Special. Hopped with Mittelfruh and Tettnang. Fermented at 48F and lagered for over 4 months at 30F. Absolutely awesome! Rich, dark fruits and fairly intense malt character. Balanced quite well, actually. Quite easy to drink a larger amount of this one, so I’m very happy about that. Can’t wait to enjoy a proper 1/2L of this one this weekend.

[​IMG]

Secondly, my new English Mild. Comes in at 3.8% ABV, 14 IBU. Brewed with Maris Otter, Pilsner, Biscuit and British Crystal Malts. EKG hops. Dry English Ale Yeast. An absolute crusher of a beer with really wonderful malt notes. Definitely pick up the bread crust, nuttiness, light caramel.

[​IMG]

Those two are pairing up really well with my Festbier, Rauchbier and keg of Prima Pils currently on. Prepping for my trip to Bavaria next month!

25. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (223) Jun 5, 2005 New York

My first saison, all done saison (all done says son, named after my 1.5 year old son who says “all done” about 200x/day).

A tropical saison with all Amarillo hops and Wyeast French saison 3711 open fermented. Finished at 1.000 but the mouthfeel is great. Nice and creamy but the carbonation pops nicely with the pepper and bubble gum from the yeast and finishes dry. This yeast is a beast and really enhances the hop flavor. Borderline Belgian ipa. (Actually iipa as it ended up at 7.6%). Dangerous and will brew again

#265 makisupapolice14, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    KCUnited, Lukass, Buck89 and 5 others like this.
  26. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (110) Dec 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Double batch of Farmhouse ale. Brewed 10 gal of 1.042 wort with Pilsner malt, wheat malt, flaked wheat and acidulated malt. Small bittering addition to about 25 ibu, then a late addition of Falconer's Flight.

Split to two fermenters, both got Wyeast 3726 and fermented around 90F.

After fermentation slowed to a crawl one fermenter got 1lb of local wildflower honey, and the other was transferred to a purged keg with a humble 1oz of Wakatu hops, held at 64f and then transferred to a serving keg.

Normally I would only tap one keg of a split batch at a time, but I had an extra tap open so I could try side by side.

The wildflower honey batch is slightly more alcoholic, somewhere around 5.4% compared to 4.5% for the dry hop batch. The honey is somewhat evident but very subtle. It makes for a dry tasting and refreshing beer.

The Wakatu dry hop batch is phenomenal. It has this ever so subtle coconut flavor in with the slight tropical fruit notes that work really well with the yeast dominated flavor of this beer.

Edit: Honey batch on Left, DH on right. DH batch has significantly better foam, although these beers have only been on gas for about 10 days.

Love having some crushable saisons on for spring!

SABERG, KCUnited, Scope4Beer and 9 others like this.
  27. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

Lots in fermentation right now but I just opened a barleywine I did with a group that was aged 7 months in a Jack Daniels barrel, then aged on cherries and orange peel. Then at bottling bitters and dry vermouth was added. It has sat for about 8 months and if I do say so myself is rather good. Has anyone done a Manhattan Barleywine before?

Lukass, Buck89, NorCalKid and 4 others like this.
  28. invertalon

Trader

Tapped my new sour, brewed with mango and apricot (about 3 pounds of each, directly into keg)… Apricot was Vintners canned puree, but the mango’s were fresh, both normal and champagne varieties.

[​IMG]

And more of my Doppelbock which is just tasting incredible… Can’t get enough of it!

[​IMG]

seanyfo, Scope4Beer, Lukass and 8 others like this.
  29. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,028) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Did you put the fruit in a bag/cage, and then pull it out?

30. invertalon

Trader

Nope. Puree/Juice directly into keg, allowed to blow off a bit when fermentation kicked off (racked onto the fruit with some extract remaining still) and then spunded to carbonate when fermentation slowed a bit. Since the fruit was just puree/juice, there is no fruit chunks or anything to pull out. Just mixed in completely with the base sour.

deadwolfbones likes this.
  31. NorCalKid

Modern IPA/XPA
    2-Row, White Wheat & Carahell
    Amarillo, Strata & Galaxy
    5.8% ABV
    Yeast: A01 House
    Orange, Lemon, Citrus & Subtle Tropical Fruit

KCUnited, Jesse14, Lukass and 4 others like this.
  32. NorCalKid

What was the grains/% and hops? Just curious. Sounds extreme man!

33. deadwolfbones

Society

34. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

35. deadwolfbones

Society

Nikon D700 and edited with Adobe Lightroom. :slight_smile:

jbakajust1 likes this.
  36. deadwolfbones

Society

I guess I should say the lens was a 50mm f/1.8 on all of those.

37. skleice

I'm too lazy for pics today. First pull of 2 new brews following up to my pale millet SMaSH.

Beer 1: Cascade Pale Ale -
    90% Pale Millet
    10% Roasted CaraMillet

The roasted CaraMillet is not appropriate for this style. It adds a raisiny, dark fruit flavor and aroma. Not dumpable, but not a great APA either. However, there is noted head retention and lacing. This is a great grain for darker styles.

Beer 2: Enigma Pale Ale
    90% Pale Millet
    10% Buckwheat

I don't detect any flavor or aroma from the buckwheat. I also don't see any improvement in head retention over just pale millet. Body may be slightly fuller, but it's marginal. The enigma hops are very different and I'm definitely getting a strong raspberry note. Don't think I would use it in a hoppy beer again. Would be great in a Saison, wild ale, sour, etc.

38. NorCalKid

I presume you roasted the millet in the oven yourself? Was the addition for flavor or color or both? I wonder if dark brown sugar might be a substitute instead.

riptorn likes this.
  39. skleice

No, the roasted CaraMillet is an actual offering from grouse malt house. I'm doing a series of beers containing pale millet + something in order to see what they bring to the table. I'll have an IPA ready next week with light roasted millet...should taste/smell better, but will see the impact on head, body, lacing.

NorCalKid and riptorn like this.
  40. deadwolfbones

Society

My 8-month-old Belgian dark strong, developing well:

[​IMG]

Naugled, KCUnited, Mongrel and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.