What Homebrew Are You Drinking Now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 4, 2020.

1. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (486) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

From the day I brewed the beer (May 5th), it was in a keg to spund within about 4 days I believe it was. Then I gave it another few days in the keg to finish fermenting/carbonating at ferm temp (60F), before crashing down to 30F. Basically lagered for just over 3 weeks before tapping.

I think it will be around 5 weeks total lagering when it hits it's brilliant clarity.

SABERG and riptorn like this.
  2. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (382) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Thanks again. There's a poll for time/temp to lager the Averagely Perfect Kolsch. I don't have the capacity to lager (but hope to soon). Seemed like a good opportunity to collect some data points from someone with experience.

3. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Apricot "Lambic"
    This beer was brewed with inspiration from Fou Foune. I figured it's nearly impossible to get so I might as well make something kind of close.

Right now this beer is about 5 years old and absolutely fantastic, probably the beer I am most proud of to date. I used ECY20 Bug County and would absolutely recommend it. Very complex both in the range of sour flavors as well as the funky flavors. Fruit shines through nicely.

[​IMG]

4. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

[​IMG] Update to willamette lager. She cleared nicely.

5. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,491) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Rye IPA. 2 weeks bottle conditioning
    Ready to go
    Be well all
    [​IMG]

6. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

I have a Rye Pale Ale on tap which I think came out great. Probably going to brew it a few times a year. What did your recipe look like?

riptorn likes this.
  7. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,491) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

9# 2 row
    2# Rye
    1# Crystal 10
    4 oz Acidulated malt

Magnum, Cascade, Columbus , Citra,
    Centennial dry hop
    Us 05
    Next batch I will not us Citra. No need IMO
    Cheers

8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

Recently tapped my pliny the elder clone. Having a small pour and filling a growler to take to a friends house. Followed the recipe exactly despite my reservation of 3.5 ozs of hops at 90 minutes. I did add about an extra oz if dry hops just because I didn’t want .5 or .25 ozs of simcoe or CTZ left over so I just threw it in.

turned out pretty darn close. Need to try it next to the OG but it’s very Pliny like.

[​IMG]

9. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (293) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

Just tapped my Azacca IPA. 7% abv, large dose of oats and wheat, first time using Safale S-33. Hands down one of the silkiest mouthfeels I’ve gotten from my hoppy brews. Ripe papaya, guava, melon, citrus. Azacca is a pretty solid hop, but next time I might blend in a little Citra to make it pop. I’m not a huge fan of the yeast profile compared to Omega DIPA or London III, a little too bubble gum forward, but definitely a substitute if you’re in a pinch.

10. Prep8611

What were your % of wheat and oats?

riptorn likes this.
  11. Davl22

Trader

18% of each.

riptorn, Jasonja1474 and Prep8611 like this.
  12. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,253) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Azacca is solid. Made a brut IPA/dry, hoppy braggot with it for a D&D group a couple of years ago where a major NPC was named Azacca. Big hit.

13. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,950) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

14. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (99) Dec 16, 2016 Canada
    Trader

[​IMG]

7.4% abv Hazy
    Blend of domestic pils / pale ale malts, malted oats and flaked oats in the grist,
    Warrior, Strata and Sabro in the boil to 38 IBU
    2 oz El Dorado at high krausen,
    4 oz Sabro, 3 oz Mosaic, 3 oz El Dorado in naturally purged dip tube filtered dry hopping keg
    5 days on dry hops, then pushed to second naturally purged serving keg.

This is the most intense dry hop character I have managed to muster in a homebrew. The Sabro is very noticeable in the coconut cream / orange creamsicle department - it adds a roundness and fullness that I haven't really noticed in other hops, or maybe its just the level of hop saturation. I'm also getting the classic mango / ripe peach / general tropical fruit notes.

I am absolutely loving brewing with malted oats lately - they have a husk so they lead to a less sticky mash, and I have noticed a general improvement in mouthfeel in my hazy IPAs.

No Citra was used in the production of this beer.

Also - the color is obviously enhanced by the sun.

15. riptorn

Society Trader

And it's also enhanced by the contrast of the green hops in the background :slight_smile:
    Don't sell yourself short on its appearance......it looks awesome.

16. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (162) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Beautiful beer man congrats!

thebriansmaude likes this.
  17. Jasonja1474

Trader

[​IMG] [​IMG] Just poured my first glass of “Viking Ridge” have the recipe on Untappd under - Montgomery Ridge Homebrewing. Turned out nice and it was first experience with Kveik yeast. Man this stuff is quick and and clean. Save the yeast for future brews. This has a nice Citra nose and a malty/corn taste. Think I used to much corn. But the mouth feel is so soft and pillowy. I really don’t want to share my keg lol. Too bad I promised my buddies some. Also gonna post a thread about brewing a Saison with aged hops and using this yeast and Brett. Would like people’s input on it. Thanks and cheers

SFACRKnight, Davl22, Chipotle and 6 others like this.
  18. Prep8611

[​IMG]

Strawberry Mango Sour. Kettle soured at 100F for 72 hours then rebooked and fermented with US-05. Didn’t measure OG but final gravity was 1.012.

Appearance is great, she’s a beauty queen. Nice white head that linger for the entire glass. Ruby red grapefruit juice appearance

Smells tangy with a mainly unripened strawberry in the background

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, carbonation dances on the tongue like a seltzer which I enjoy.

Tastes of strawberries and watermelon and oddly no mango. Mainly acidic with little to no sweetness from the fruit

Overall this is one of my favorite sours ive made. Wasn’t sure how the strawberries would work and only bought since they were 1 dollar a pound. 8/10

19. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (372) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

“Kolsch”

Conan fermented at 56/60
    Lagered for 6 weeks
    I think that was batch 15 or so of something resembling a Kolsch. Prolly my best one yet. Honestly I prefer this yeast character to any “Kolsch” strain I’ve used yet. Finished in 4 days. First two at 56 then raised to 60.

[​IMG]

20. skleice

skleice Aspirant (284) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Galaxy & Sabro gf NEIPA...still pretty green, but I suck at waiting.

[​IMG]

45% millet
    40% rice
    10% quinoa
    5% oats
    S-04

The new enzyme combo of Ondea Pro & Ceramix flex is awesome. Simplified & shorter mashes with higher yields and better wort sugar profile. Mouthfeel and head retention are much improved.

21. Jason

Jason Founder (8,631) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Ordinary Bitter #2

Pearl malt with a touch of Crisp C Light 45

All EKG hops ... hit around 3.6% ABV & 29 IBUs.

[​IMG]

22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

Vienna Lager. I used the malt bill from Brulospy: 98% Vienna and 2% pale chocolate. Fermented at 60 with WLP830. Cold conditioned in the keg a few weeks. Turned out great.

[​IMG]

23. Jasonja1474

Trader

[​IMG] Bottled about 12 or so of the Kveik yeast ipa. Only took 5 days to condition outside in the heat. The Citra hops are nice on the nose.

KCUnited, GetMeAnIPA, VikeMan and 5 others like this.
  24. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (381) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Might have to try this. I’ve also had a “Kolsch” like brew with Voss Kveik that was pretty tasty.

riptorn and Jasonja1474 like this.
  25. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,950) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

"German-ish Pale Lager" Used up some leftover 2-Row, Pale Ale Malt, Pilsner, and a little Biscuit. 34/70 yeast and Hallertau Mitt hops. First pull from freshly carbonated keg using my new floating dip tube. I think I might buy some more of them.

[​IMG]
    Ignore the dirty glass nucleation.

KCUnited, Lukass, BetaAcid and 8 others like this.
  26. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (372) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

‘Merican Pils

Admiral Maltings Pils malt
    Sterling/Super Saazer from MI
    Coors Yeast
    Krausened, lagered for 7 weeks
    4.8%

Pretty good. The MI Saaz is pretty darn good. Did a similar beer with Sterling and Liberty and the hop character is much more enjoyable in this.

[​IMG]

27. riptorn

Society Trader

10-day young bottle of the SMaSH.
    The color and turbidity are atrocious. Looks like Bragg apple juice with the mother, but more drab. Aroma and taste? Love it; pleased that it's retaining the wine and hay (so far), and the bittering is just right.

Jasonja1474, skleice and VikeMan like this.
  28. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (154) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Toasted Coconut Cheerios Hazy DIPA w/ Sabro, Cashmere, and Mosaic.

Holy crap this beer is tasty. Much to my relief, the coconut doesn't taste fake—it's almost like what you get from hand-toasted coconut flakes, but probably a little closer to the extracts some pro brewers use. The sweetness and body are perfect, pillowy; this beer finished at 1.013 (for an 8.2% ABV) but has more residual sweetness than that number would indicate. Looking forward to killing this keg and brewing it again, if I can convince the girlfriend to give me the couple extra boxes she bought before the store ran out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#268 deadwolfbones, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  29. invertalon

Trader

Tapped my new Pils!

5.8% ABV, hopped with Magnum, Perle, Saaz and Tettnanger.

Really crisp and intensely hoppy in flavor, not bitterness. Lemony, herbal and signature noble character. Only about 38 IBU give or take. Included both a whirlpool and dry hop addition before being spunded and lagered. Fermented with 2124 Bohemian Lager. Finish rides off a beautiful doughy, cracker note.

Absolutely loving the first pour off this keg! Should clear up a bit after the initial few pours.

Prost!

[​IMG]

30. Davl22

Trader

Looks and sounds incredible.

31. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

Cracked my mixed ferm Rye Saison w/ late addition Cashmere hops. Really coming together nicely. All the Cashmere descriptors are there. Lemon/lime, peach, melon, and coconut, but they don’t mask the base saison character. Light acidity and Brett funk, killer carb.

32. Jasonja1474

Trader

This is what I’m looking to brew next. Nicely done!

Davl22 and riptorn like this.
  33. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

[​IMG]

Ya I know... another IPA post!

Enigma IPA. 6% abv, 60 IBU. 2-row, some munich, touch of crystal. Enigma hops throughout. US-05 ferment.

I've never tried Enigma, so was hoping to let them shine in this one. I'm getting lots of white grape, berry, some citrus. Bright, crisp bitterness that's not palate wrecking. At 17% AA, this is a hop that can easily be overdone, so I'm glad I dialed back on the hop additions.

34. skleice

skleice Aspirant (284) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

First poor of the gluten free Cream Ale after a day of burst carbing. Very light, clean, crisp & refreshing. A bit of lemon & spice from the liberty hops. I can see my fingers through it, but expecting it will drop very clear after a bit. Overall, I'm very happy with this attempt.

[​IMG]

35. invertalon

Trader

Poured myself a flight!

Tapped my new Rauchbier! From left to right is my Kolsch, German Pils, Rauch and my American Stout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. videofrog

videofrog Zealot (554) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Trader

First full pour of my English Dark Mild from my uKeg. I used 1968 for this, and I'm thinking that was the wrong yeast for this style. Unpleasant aftertaste of an otherwise decent, light-bodied dark beer. The first samples I pulled were to check the carbonation, and they were very yeast heavy and awful. At least I won't have to dump the batch.

37. Jasonja1474

Trader

Still drinking on the Kveik Citra IPA from a week ago. Just bought the “Last Straw” bottle filler and the Foamless filler gadget to go with it. Just excited about filling from the keg to take bottles to go. Works nice and bottle stay carbed with no oxidation. [​IMG]

38. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

[​IMG]

Simple saison, fermented with Imperial Rustic. Pilsner, white wheat, flaked oats. Azacca to around 15 IBU. Lemon Drop dry hop (which didn't lend much to the final beer IMO). Foggy glass, cuz it's hot as hell out

This is my 5th beer brewed with Rustic, and from my experience this yeast is kind of boring young, but after 3+ months it develops all the characteristics of a great saison. Lots of pink bubblegum, pepper, clove, citrus. Because it's diastaticus I typically only shoot for 1.8-2.0 vol CO2 when bottling, so after some extended bottle conditioning it's carbed and amazing!

39. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,911) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Tapped the pale milds today.

40. Prep8611

[​IMG] Wierd little guy. He was made with run off of spent grains I used in an ipa that I added 5 pounds of fresh grain to. The reused mash was 2 row,oats, wheat and I added pils to the quasi-partigyle beer. Ended up being 3.8%. Hopped with German tradition. Fermented with T58.

the only way I can really describe this beer is Belgian coors light. It has a nice generic Belgian flavor without having any complexity whatsoever. It’s thin and crisp obviously with a slight tang from the wheat and maybe yeast in suspension. I just had 3 after mowing the lawn and it went down like water but was refreshing like Gatorade. It has a nice earthy background from the hops and is not sweet at all. If I was blindfolded I would know instantly it was Belgian Yeast but I wouldn’t be able to explain why.

Overall this was a nice experiment and use of wasted sugars. I will kill this 5 gallon keg with ease probably starting tomorrow with my family for the fourth.

Happy Independence Day to my freedom loving fellow Americans .