What Homebrew Are You Drinking Now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 4, 2020.

1. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (199) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

WCIPA with columbus, simcoe, and amarillo

Happy 4th, cheers

[​IMG]

2. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Looks tasty. But now I wanna know... what ya smoking in the green egg??

riptorn likes this.
  3. KCUnited

Trader

Primarily spare ribs, but as the egg gets up to temp I put some already hard boiled eggs on for ~30 minutes of low temp smoke exposure. Game changer (no hyperbole) for deviled eggs, egg salad, potato salad, etc.

GetMeAnIPA, Lukass, Davl22 and 5 others like this.
  4. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,244) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Also, how do you like the Big Green Egg? Thinking of getting one due to the purported "Set it and Forget it" smoking capability, as well as actually being able to get hot enough and even enough heat to actually grill something instead of just throwing something onto a fire.

They're pricey, but I'd rather drop the money on something that actually does everything I want instead of buying multiple things to take care of one thing or the other.

OTOH, that roof gotta get replaced soon...

riptorn likes this.
  5. KCUnited

Trader

Not to steer the thread off further, but its similar to homebrew equipment in its solely dependant on your logistics and needs. I purchased the Egg when I relocated from a house in KC to a condo in Chicago. My outdoor space was limited to a smallish deck so I needed something that could smoke, grill, and perform while being stored outside in the extreme weather fluctuations of Chicago.

I've since moved into a home with a proper backyard and while I still love and utilize the Egg, I'd probably go with a Weber Smokey Mountain, solid gasser, and maybe a kettle now that I have more room. That said, the Egg has served me well and I have zero complaints.

It's the same assessment when deciding between a stainless conical, Speidel, bucket, glass carboy, etc.

6. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,948) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

That's what we have. Except the gas grill was jettisoned years ago, because I felt like it didn't do anything the kettle couldn't do better, except heat up instantly.

GetMeAnIPA, KCUnited and riptorn like this.
  7. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (153) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

riptorn and Prep8611 like this.
  8. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I drank 12 or so over the course of 6 hours yesterday and felt absolutely fantastic. I had a nice buzz without being drunk at all and felt 100% hydrated the entire day.

riptorn and deadwolfbones like this.
  9. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,481) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Test bottle of Vienna,Centennial, US05 SmaSh
    Coming along
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

10. Prep8611

Simplicity is a beautiful thing. Great looking beer!

11. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,481) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Another week of carbonation and the sweet spot will be unveiled.
    Thanks
    Cheers

Jasonja1474 and Prep8611 like this.
  12. skleice

skleice Aspirant (283) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

All moved in and chillin on the screened in porch, enjoying the view of the woods. GF Blueberry Saison (8% ABV).

[​IMG]

13. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (292) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

Buckwheat Saison w/ Turmeric Ginger Tea. Amazing aroma of citrus, pineapple, ginger. The turmeric added a light earthy bitterness similar to a citrus pith. Very balanced with the light funk and acidity. The minerality is incredible. Definitely the cloudiest saison I’ve brewed so far. I’m assuming because of the protein content of the buckwheat? I’m happy with the tea character, glad I went light on the infusion time. I’ll need to brew a larger batch next time.

14. hojo813

hojo813 Initiate (42) Aug 3, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

How did you like the cashmere? I made an APA with it last year. It's very mild. People liked it

riptorn likes this.
  15. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (160) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

[​IMG] First attempt at a Lager. Was supposed to be a Kölsch but purchased German Lager yeast. Can’t remember exactly which strain at the moment. It’s cloudy but I think it’s from the shake and bake carbing. I wanted to try some today.

16. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

I brewed two hoppy beers using cashmere but always with another two hops. Neither focused on the hop specifically so I can’t tell exactly how much I liked the hop. I will say the two beers turned out well and everyone liked it. I would use the hop again for sure. I was surprised the AA % was fairly low and the pellets were pleasant but mild. The HBC hop Pellets I used had more aroma than the cashmere.

17. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Hazy Pale Ale, this is some of the extra from my fermenter that didn't make it into a keg. New grain bill this time and I really like it. 40/40/20 Rahr 2 Row, Golden Promise and Rahr Wheat. Hops are mostly Citra and Mosaic with a bit of Centennial. OYL British V for the yeast.

Edit: without good lighting these beers are not very photogenic. This looks much better in person.

[​IMG]

18. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (810) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Hoppy strong ale

[​IMG]

19. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (381) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Nice.....what's steeping in the whiskey glass?

20. Hanglow

I think it's a compost plug soaking for some reason. I don't know what seeds are going into it though

riptorn and Jasonja1474 like this.
  21. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,910) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Pope AK Mild clone, the one with brown sugar instead of invert sugar. I said I wouldn't make this again, but it is kind of coming together as a nice cold one.

22. Dmanuele1991

Dmanuele1991 Initiate (55) Mar 5, 2014 Wisconsin

How did you do the tea infusion. I've always wanted to try it but can never find enough info on how to go about it.

deadwolfbones and riptorn like this.
  23. riptorn

Society Trader

I addition to info @Davl22 might provide, I'd hazard a guess that @deadwolfbones could also offer some insight.

Davl22 and deadwolfbones like this.
  24. hojo813

hojo813 Initiate (42) Aug 3, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Since I can't seem to get this picture thing down, I will just tell you what I'm drinking. British golden ale perfect for summer. Just over 5% abv and 28 IBU. Grist has pale 2 row,a touch of victory and Vienna malts, along with a just a dash of caramel 20. Bittered with East Kent goldings. Just a small flame out edition of citra and lemon drop. But what ties it together is the Nottingham yeast. It gives a little bit of sourness to compliment American hops. Perfect for after mowing grass! I did a standard Ale fermentation at 65° f. After a gelatin treatment and one week of cold crashing, it is clear as a bell. Crisp, almost lager and pilsner type qualities. This is my third time brewing this beer. I always circle back to it in the summer. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know. It is simple, perfect for the new all-grain brewer.

25. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (153) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

I've done exactly one tea-infused beer but it came out quite well. I wrote a post about it here, but TL;DR, I dry-tea'd with 75g of Vietnamese green tea for 6 days post-ferm in 3 gallons of saison. I put the tea in a hop spider. The finished beer was very tea-forward with a nice tannic bite.

26. Hanglow

More hoppy strong ale

[​IMG]

SABERG, Lukass, imtroy703 and 5 others like this.
  27. Davl22

Trader

I added the tea in a hop bag the day I was planning on bottling. Let it sit at room temp for about 5 hours, tasted, then bottled. I’ve done it in the past and let the tea sit 24 hours before tasting and it threw off a ton of bitterness/astringency. Adding the tea and chilling would help with avoiding any astringency. You’ll need to keep in mind that different strength/flavored teas are going to take more or less time.

I’ve added Citrus green tea on the hot side during a whirlpool for my Belgian Wit with great results as well. Dry tea’ing definitely adds more aromatics.

#307 Davl22, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    SABERG likes this.
  28. MightyTrustKrusher

MightyTrustKrusher Initiate (76) Nov 5, 2014 New Jersey

[​IMG]
    Sour Saison
    Pilsner, Spelt Malt, Flaked Rye, Linden Honey in Primary
    Hopped to ~26 ibu with Saaz
    5.9 % ABV
    Yeast was a mix of several cultures including Imperial Rustic, Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #1 and dregs from Plan Bee Barn Beer and Tilquin.
    Ended up pretty sour and funky, but with remnants of the Rustic Yeast showing through as well. Really enjoying it.

SABERG, Hanglow, Jasonja1474 and 8 others like this.
  29. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (99) Dec 16, 2016 Canada
    Trader

[​IMG]

Pilsner
    100% Wyermann pils maltz , 5.3% abv
    Loral, Mittlefruh to 35 ibu with a bit of a FO addtion
    Imperial Global (2124) ferm @ 50 for 10 days, spund, then crashed to 32 for lager.

This beer is super crushable with the classic Wyermann pils malt flavour. Crackery, almost corny, full flavor. It almost drinks 'creamy'. I quite like it. Its being served with a floating dip tube from the spunding keg. I am finding that it is staring to pour cloudy now that I'm getting through the keg. Any floating dip tube / spunders out there know how to get a more solid yeast cake? I lagered this at 32 for a good 5 weeks.

[​IMG]

Mixed ferm Saison
    Pilsner malt with 10% Spelt
    Very lightly hoped with a bit of Calypso
    Primary with 3711, then hit with house brett / bug mix

Seems to be dominated by wild bacteria and yeast, saison character has taken the back seat. Which isn't what I hoped. So far this has aged for 6 months in a carboy, and another three in the bottle, so I think it will develop into more of an interesting beer down the road hopefully. There is a bit of a cidery character coming through now that I hope fades a bit. Still, as a sour beer, its very approachable, has a light level of sourness, and is nice and dry. @MightyTrustKrusher , looks like we brewed a similar beer here!

30. Prep8611

[​IMG]

Kviek made pale ale. Grains were 2 row,Vienna, wheat. Hopped And dry hopped with HBC experiment something or another. Fermented with Hornindal Kviek from Omega at around 90 degrees.

A: Orange yellow and hazy, white fluffy head that lasts the duration of the beer.

S: orange rind, floral, piney, grapefruit

T: orange peel, orange pith, grapefruit, pine. No malt presence that I can tell. Pretty bitter considering the lack of boil additions. Bitter in a good pale ale way and not anything I wasn’t expecting.

M: this feels like a west coast ipa. It’s nice and medium bodied. It feels refreshing while also letting you know there is substance in there. The odd part is I can’t really describe any malt characteristics but I think the Vienna helped this from tasting like hop water.

O: I’m really enjoying this. It’s really orangey and grapefruity with a nice pine note that bites your tongue and invites you back for more. I’ve had three of these this evening and I’ve had no issue just continuously going back to the kegerator for another fill. This was a relatively super easy recipe with only one hop and fermented at 90. Would make again.

7/10

31. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

[​IMG]

No boil Berliner Weisse. Pretty much my staple beer around here.

Sour, dry, spritzy, and after some extended bottle conditioning, the brett drei takes on a sort of white wine/passionfruit thing that goes so well with this style.

4% abv, 0 IBU. 50/50 pils/white wheat. I sour with 2 Goodbelly straight shots, and after 24-36 hours the yeast is ready to pitch. I've been using the same brett/bug blend for the past 5 years – it consists of CMY-01 and Jolly Pumpkin dregs. I typically dry hop during active fermentation to help slow the lacto growth. This one had 2 oz Azacca/Denali. Cheers!

32. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (371) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Pilsner hopped exclusively (and traditionally) with HORT9909 from NZ. As with a lot of NZ hops this has Noble hop ancestry. Supposedly it’s “pure Hersbrucker” parentage?

It’s an awesome hop. I would say the descriptions are very accurate. Lemon/lime, hay, bit of spice. It’s almost like “baking” spice somehow. What’s nice is it doesn’t have that typical NZ machine oil note but the limey NZ terroir does come through.

Last addition was at 10 minutes and it still comes through remarkably well.

Fermented cold, krausened, lagered for 6 weeks.

[​IMG]

SABERG, alanforbeer, Hanglow and 13 others like this.
  33. Davl22

Trader

Looks incredible, congrats!

riptorn likes this.
  34. Jasonja1474

Trader

[​IMG] More of my “Could’ve been a Kölsch”
    German Lager. Tasting mighty fine right about now.

SABERG, utahbeerdude, Davl22 and 5 others like this.
  35. riptorn

Society Trader

Maybe a Kolsch-tender?
    [​IMG]

Jasonja1474 and Applecrew135 like this.
  36. Prep8611

Give her time my friend. She will lager.

Jasonja1474 and riptorn like this.
  37. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,948) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Fat Tire clone.
    [​IMG]

SABERG, utahbeerdude, Davl22 and 8 others like this.
  38. Prep8611

looks great, congrats

riptorn and VikeMan like this.
  39. Hanglow

Penultimate bottle of strong ale was had last night.
    [​IMG]

40. Jasonja1474

Trader

Oh she lagered fine. I set out to brew a Kolsch a couple months ago and bought German lager yeast on accident. Turned out good though

riptorn and Prep8611 like this.