What Homebrew Are You Drinking Now? (2021)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,003) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

New year, new thread.

2. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (168) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Milky Choc/Coffee Porter made with the Don Pablo/Death Wish coffee and Nielsen-Massey Choc extract. The extract taste horrible from the bottle but gave the beer a strong taste. The combo gives it a lite peanut butter after taste.

[​IMG]

3. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

[​IMG]
    2 gallon batch
    2lb light dme +1 lbwheat dme. 15 minute boil. No hops. Philly sour fermentation for 1 week then 3 lbs of frozen NJ blueberries for 2 weeks. For absolutely zero work it’s pretty damn refreshing.

SABERG, GetMeAnIPA, 209Hill and 12 others like this.
  4. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (832) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Been trying my Chevallier malt saison, makes for a great base.

Beer_Life likes this.
  5. Brewday

I need to go back to the easy days. Do you have to lower the PH first or just add. Also can you save the yeast. Seems expensive.

riptorn likes this.
  6. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

From what I've read, Philly Sour can not be reused. I also only used one pack in my 5 gallon batch and it's very sour.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  7. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (410) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

you don’t have to lower pH. In fact I purposely left KO pH high for my recent Philly Sour ferment in hopes that the pH wouldn’t Drop as far as it had been. I typically lower most beers to a pH between 5.1 and 5.0 at knock out. I left it closer to 5.4 for this one....Regardless, it didn’t work.

You can use only 1 pack for 5 gallons provided gravity is low enough. Supposedly the profile of the yeast changes based on pitch rate, glucose content of wort, and ferm temp. I was trying to get more “stone fruit” with a higher pitch rate but I’m not sure it really worked. Fermentation speed and pH dropped seemed similar with essentially twice the pitch rate. I did use more sugar in this brew which can also affect the final pH.

Jasonja1474 and Brewday like this.
  8. Brewday

That's impressive how far it dropped the PH.

9. Prep8611

Apparently the yeast does not do well if re-used. This was on some pro brewery forums I frequent. On a Homebrew level I didn’t adjust ph before. It was 4.99 for a packet of yeast. For 20 beers I don’t consider that too bad. I could have used half but I don’t usually jump over dollars to save pennies.

10. Prep8611

[​IMG]
    Galaxy IPA I made with 2row, honey malt, oats and white wheat. I wanted it to be turbid NEIPA. I had the chloride/sulfate ratio perfect. It’s nice and super soft but it drops clearish in the keg. I dont get it. It’s very good it just doesn’t have the “look”

drewmuni, SABERG, GetMeAnIPA and 4 others like this.
  11. wasatchback

Trader

[​IMG] First pull of a super traditional Altbier I made. Only been lagering for two weeks. Gonna give it a few more but not really sure it needs it. In 350+ batches of beer this is my first reddish/brownish beer. Ha

12. wasatchback

Trader

What was your dry hopping process? It’s actually hard to get a Galaxy beer to clear as Galaxy has so many more polyphenols than most hops.

13. Prep8611

3 oz at 2 days active fermentation and 3oz day 10 which is 4 days before legging.

14. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,393) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

What yeast did you use? I’ve used some pretty non-flocculant strains before and they will still drop fairly clear (like yours) after some time spent in the keg

Prep8611 likes this.
  15. Prep8611

London ale 3 via verdant by lallemand.

Lukass likes this.
  16. skleice

skleice Aspirant (295) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I use that strain a bunch and my NEIPAs don't clear (though the haze has been variable). Do you know how high your calcium was?

17. Prep8611

No I don’t. I add a ton (20gm CaCl to 10gm gypsum) and it still clears. The mouthfeel that I’m tasting is soft and equivalent to brewery quality mouthfeel for the style. It just doesn’t have the look.

18. wasatchback

Trader

For how many gallons?

Prep8611 likes this.
  19. skleice

Could be the issue. I'm no water expert, but from what I've read, Ca levels above 100 ppm will aid in flocculation.

20. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (204) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Mmmmmm

21. Jasonja1474

Trader

Tearing into my brown ale some more. Some time in the keg has made this one enjoyable. [​IMG]

SABERG, GetMeAnIPA, BetaAcid and 2 others like this.
  22. Prep8611

10 gallons

23. wasatchback

Trader

That’s a lot of salts for 10 gallons. What ppm
    Ca are you shooting for? Are you adding that all to the mash, splitting between mash/sparge? Adding some to kettle? RO?

I’d recommend a few things to try. Lower the pH of your boil to 5.0-5.1 at the start.

What are you fermenting in? Can you cool under pressure? Purge headspace?

clearing generally means there’s too much h yeast in suspension when you’re dry hopping. There’s probably still too much when you keg as well. Yeast will drag everything down when it floccs. Key is to try to get as much yeast out of the beer as possible before you dry hop and keep as much yeast out of the keg as possible.

skleice and Prep8611 like this.
  24. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (110) Dec 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

@Prep8611 give the keg a shake

Edit: that is weird , but I bet all your hops flavour is stuck to the sediment at the bottom

Prep8611 likes this.
  25. Prep8611

[​IMG]
    Belgian Golden Strong Ale at a whopping 10% with no detection of alcohol. Didn’t need an orange but I do like it with. More hazy then my hazy ipa :slight_frown: . Pils and table sugar. Fermented with Be-256. Naturally carbonated with priming sugar in the keg,

Effinwill, RJLarse, Eggman20 and 5 others like this.
  26. Prep8611

Forgot that this was originally supposed to be a tripel. This was step mashed and I did triple decoction.

BetaAcid and Jasonja1474 like this.
  27. skleice

GF Azacca Pale Ale:
    Pretty good, but with all of the interesting and potent hops out there, I opted not to buy any 2020 Azacca.
    [​IMG]

28. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,393) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Hoppy kettle sour with Enigma. One of my favorite hop varieties

Pils/white wheat, soured with lacto Plantarum. I then did a 10-min boil on it, and hopped to around 40 IBU. Enigma at flameout, and more as dry hop. Fermented with the trusty CMY-01, brett drie. 6% abv. It's at about 7 months in the bottle now and I love how the brett/enigma hops are playing. Dry, with aroma/flavor of sweet tarts, white grapes, citrus, and of course, the brett lets you know it's there as well!

[​IMG]

Mongrel, SABERG, Supergenious and 6 others like this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

CTZ, centennial, and cascade hopped ipa. With 2 row, biscuit, and a touch of honey malt. Used imperial’s juice Yeast, which does add some additional esters and body that keeps it from being a West Coast ipa. Even used a 2:1 sulfate to calcium ratio. Still tasty and super citrusy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. nghiem

nghiem Initiate (58) Sep 3, 2017 California
    Trader

My second homebrew, a mixed fermentation saison pitched with Mad Fermentationist Blend from Bootleg Biology along with some Cantillon dregs. I added some french oak cubes for a few weeks towards the end. It's been about three weeks in the bottle and this is my first tasting. Dang, that's pretty darn good! A touch of tartness, lots of white-wine floral notes, and a touch oakiness that plays well with the dryness of the beer. I'm stoked on how this turned out and am curious how it evolves over the next year or so as I think some more funk will develop in the bottle.

[​IMG]

Mongrel, SABERG, Lukass and 10 others like this.
  31. Jasonja1474

Trader

I have some in the bottle with pretty much the exact same recipe as you. I used the same yeast and used Blackberry Farms Brett18 bottle dregs. I also used honey to bottle condition. It does great with time. I’m loving it.[​IMG]

SABERG, Lukass, Davl22 and 5 others like this.
  32. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

PSH!

if I knew how to add a gif I would. Great label!!

Jasonja1474 and Prep8611 like this.
  33. Jasonja1474

Trader

Chip Diamond. The legend

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  34. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Sounds killer! Also, that’s an epic label.

nghiem and riptorn like this.
  35. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

Mixed ferm saison w/ Black Plums. Hands down my favorite fruit to work with. Incredible color, aroma, fruit flavor and juiciness.

riptorn, Mongrel, RJLarse and 9 others like this.
  36. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (397) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Yeah, I’ve disappointed with Azacca every time I’ve used it. It’s just not that potent.

riptorn, Prep8611 and skleice like this.
  37. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

True that it's not that potent, but the flavor that is there is great.

riptorn likes this.
  38. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Beautiful color on that beer.

riptorn likes this.
  39. Prep8611

[​IMG]

“Orange President Good” pale ale

50% Marris Otter
    50% 2 row
    100% Trump Supporting
    DDH with Simcoe, Centennial, Summit.
    Fermented with Verdant.

Nice and orangey with some grapefruit pith bitterness.
    Nice Medium mouthfeel that invites you back.
    I’d say it likely had a bitterness in the 40ibu range.
    I could have drank this everyday for another 4 years but alas I think in probably finish this keg very soon.

40. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (518) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Excellent color! Add a straw I'd confuse it with a Harvey Wallbanger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.