What Homebrew Are You Drinking Now? (2021)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

This year's Biere de Garde using Gulo. Sweet sugary caramel up front, dry winey finish. Think I might mash a little lower in the future, but that's about the only change I'd make.

SABERG, Lukass, Davl22 and 7 others like this.
  2. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (110) Dec 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

Doing a side by side comparison of my West Coast IPA with a commercial example. Dandy's T2G IPA is a 7.5% abv west coast style IPA that I quite like, so I figured I'd compare and contrast.

My IPA is 7.5% abv and consists of about 92% pale 2 row from Gambrinus, as well as 4% each of Caramunich and Caramel Pilsner. Yeast was Imperial Flagship fermented around 68F. Hops were a mix of Magnum, Chinook and Galaxy in the boil, and the dry hop was a mix of Centennial Cryo and Simcoe Cryo with a touch of Chinook. In the photo my beer is the one on the right:

[​IMG]

I find that a lot of commercial 'West Coast' style IPAs these days don't actually get to where I like in terms of bitterness. The common palate has gone towards softer IPAs for sure, but if you are making a west coast style, give it some teeth! That was the first difference I noticed and the biggest.

The specialty malts I used give a subtle but sweet character that is supported by the bitterness, and to be honest I settled on them because I thought it would be interesting to use some character malts from a German maltster instead of the typical C60 addition.

overall I like my version better ! I honestly can say I usually can admit some commercial examples beat my homebrew examples (esp in the pilsner category :slight_smile: ) So I'm pretty happy with this one! Taking a long time to get through the keg at this abv however.

SABERG, Lukass, Supergenious and 5 others like this.
  3. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (444) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

My dunkel got transferred to a new serving keg for our club's homebrew fest and lost is clarity in the process, but here's a pic anyway:

[​IMG]

Did a tasting the other day against the Schonramer dunkel and, well, theirs was better. No surprise. Mainly down to a slightly sweeter/honeyish note that I get from a lot of German lagers, which I'm guessing is better melanoidin character. Probably a fermentation difference as well. I still liked mine a lot, though.

butterygold, SABERG, Lukass and 8 others like this.
  4. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (204) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

I’ll be right over to help empty the keg:wink:

thebriansmaude and riptorn like this.
  5. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (470) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Saison I brewed a month or so ago. Finally knocked off the keg of pale ale I'd had kicking around for most of the summer, so got this one on.
    I more or less knocked the recipe together from a few different ones, tweaked a bit to fit what I wanted to do, and I'm really happy with it.
    I don't know how often the first incarnation of a recipe is a keeper, but this is one of those. Gonna lock this one in as final.
    7lb Pilsner
    1.5lb Vienna
    1lb rye
    1lb cane sugar.
    bit of bittering hops at 60,
    1oz saaz at 15
    BE-134.

6. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

New batch of Grisette. Added a smidge of Motueka with the light Saaz dry hop. Definitely my best iteration to date.

7. deadwolfbones

Society

8. qjholler

qjholler Initiate (82) Mar 23, 2018 New Mexico

Enjoying a wit that I'm calling "Trial Citizenship" since it incorporates ingredients from 3 countries. Pils/Wheat base with Mosaic + Wai-Iti and fermented with T-58. Fairly fruity with a little bit of spice character from the yeast. Nice and light at 4.7%.

Will post a picture of its twin brother that got a heavy dose of tamarind when I pop the next one. Totally different beer - the tamarind completely supersedes every other flavor.[​IMG]

9. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

I did a tamarind mild a few years ago that was really good and worked well with the base beer. I can see how it would be a bit too much for a wit.

10. qjholler

qjholler Initiate (82) Mar 23, 2018 New Mexico

Yeah, it's a little disappointing because I know tamarind in beer can be delicious if done well. One of my favorite breweries near me (Bow and Arrow) did a mixed ferm Thai grisette a few years back with tamarind, lime, ginger, and lemongrass - easily one of the best beers I've ever had and the tamarind really gave it an incredible depth.

Mine is nowhere close to that in a hundred different ways, but there are a few saving graces:

- I like the taste of tamarind
    - I learned something new
    - I only have about a dozen bottles of it lol

Davl22, riptorn, MrOH and 1 other person like this.
  11. skleice

skleice Aspirant (295) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

New gf NEIPA #1: Amarillo & Simcoe (orange bomb)

[​IMG]

This is a pretty big win. Last year, I was brewing with rice, but then was having an off flavor causing me to dump multiple batches. I moved to brewing millet based beers in the meantime, which I don't really like due to the nuttiness.

Fast forward a bit and we now know that rice malt produces a FAN deficient malt and requires a lot of yeast nutrient and solid pitch rates. So, I'm back on the rice train and so happy about. It just tastes so much cleaner....nice light breadiness. Head retention and lacing are on point. I'm going to adjust mash and enzymes to get a bit more body going forward.

12. Jasonja1474

Trader

WOW looks super good. I’d gladly pay craft price for a beer that color! Cheers

riptorn and skleice like this.
  13. Jasonja1474

Trader

[​IMG] Trying out the Ofest beer for the festival. Not bad. Not near as good as the professional beers I’ve had lately.

14. Jasonja1474

Trader

So after drinking this glass I get butter so bad. :angry:This is not good!!

riptorn likes this.
  15. deadwolfbones

Society

Ergh, need a longer d-rest next time, I guess!

16. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,396) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Drinking a lil glass of Belgian IPA. 6% abv, 50 IBU

100% Golden Promise malt, Vic Secret and Amarillo, fermented with Imperial Gnome.

Also, just threw 6 oz of dried homegrown Chinook into a pilsner at flameout/whirlpool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jasonja1474

Trader

Yeah let rise to 70-72° for 2 days. Not long enough I reckon.

riptorn and Prep8611 like this.
  18. deadwolfbones

Society

Amber Brett saison w/ Hallertau Blanc & Loral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (530) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I had some of the raspberry solude last night. Seems to be developing a bitter taste on the back end. Tastes great but still not what I’m after

20. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,941) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

The last 16 oz of a weizen keg. Maybe I'll brew something this holiday weekend to replace it.

21. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter

Originally the coffee came in way too strong and I was disappointed that it overpowered the barrel. It had amazing coffee flavor but dominated the nice coconut and vanilla flavors the barrel had contributed. A couple of weeks later and it's very well balanced and drinking great. All flavors are working together and I can clearly taste the contribution of each one.

Looks like I'm not the only one interested in this pour!

[​IMG]

22. Lukass

Society

Looks awesome! I’ve had this happen a few times with coffee infused beers: it comes on way too strong in the beginning and then seems to mellow out/meld with everything else after a few weeks. Did you dry bean it?

riptorn and OddNotion like this.
  23. OddNotion

Yep dry bean only. I fermented in my kegmenter, transferred and aged in 2nd use barrel for a few months then kegged with about 5oz of fresh beans added from a local roaster. 1.5oz coarse grind with 3.5oz whole beans.

24. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,084) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Saison V-5 batch 3
    Pilsner, spelt, wheat
    Saaz
    Blaugies yeast
    [​IMG]

25. Lukass

Society

the Blaugies is a crazy strain. Mines on its 5-6th generation and I always carb it to 1.8 vol, and after 1+ years in the bottle it’ll have a big hiss on opening and a nice white foamy cap like that one has. Such a great saison strain for extended bottle conditioning

Davl22, qjholler, Jasonja1474 and 3 others like this.
  26. SABERG

Society

This bottle is 2 years and in a sweet spot.
    Vibrant without losing it’s soul.
    Cheers

Davl22, qjholler, Jasonja1474 and 2 others like this.
  27. Beer_Life

Beer_Life Initiate (24) Dec 5, 2020 New York

Is this the porter that you wrote about in this post?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/brewing-activities-2021.653042/page-8#post-7198718

If so, if you don't mind me asking, to the extent you can identify the different flavor contributions, do you think the beer was roasty enough to be a good standalone porter without the coffee addition?

riptorn likes this.
  28. OddNotion

Yes it was that one. I tend to make my porters lighter on the roast compared to stouts so the sweetness and roast are fairly balanced. The roast still does come through enough in the finished product as a nice complement to the coffee.

It's hard for me to say exactly how the stand alone porter was because I did most of my tasting by sampling from the barrel. I think it did great in the barrel and would be willing to give it a shot without other flavor additions. It came out almost pitch black so the Carafa III may be unnecessary if you are brewing to style. Without extended aging I would also likely take down the ibus a little bit as well.

29. Davl22

Trader

One of my favorite glasses and saison strains!

riptorn and SABERG like this.
  30. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Devotee (416) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Allagash White clone. Finished at 1.010 around 5% and 2.8 volumes CO2.
    [​IMG]

And my first lager - smoked helles with beechwood smoked malt. Finished at 1.011 also around 5% and at 2.5 volumes CO2
    [​IMG]

31. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

Just tapped my lightly hopped lager. Started out as my Czech pils, but my LHBS didn’t have Czech yeast so I fermented with Munich. Lagered for 4 weeks. Light dry hop with Saaz and Motueka. It’s been in the keg for a month and still hasn’t completely dropped clear, but honestly I’m not a clarity nerd as long as it tastes good. Luckily it’s killer. I could drink gallons. Clean, crisp, with spicy/lemon lime zest on the nose. Not to any style but those are typically the most interesting brews.

32. JSullivan

JSullivan Initiate (98) Aug 18, 2010 Massachusetts

1839 Barclay Perkins XXX Mild, from Let's Brew!

This beer is mild in name only. 11.3%, 110 IBU, an absolute juggernaut. Really cool sip back into history.

@patto1ro , any idea if this would have been a clear beer? Thought of fining with gelatin to get rid of the haze.

[​IMG]

Lukass, Supergenious, Davl22 and 9 others like this.
  33. SABERG

Society

An early Version 2 batch 3 Saison.
    Pilsner
    Wheat
    Spelt
    Amarillo
    DuPont strain adds a nice peppery touch, vs Blaugies
    Bottle conditioned
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

34. Jasonja1474

Trader

I was lucky enough to stumble into a 2.5 g keg of this 1.5yr aged Belgian Strong Ale aged in a Joseph Magnus barrel. My homebrew club was dishing it out to those who contributed and someone shared with me. Absolutely amazing!! The beer lol[​IMG]

Lukass, qjholler, SABERG and 9 others like this.
  35. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

[​IMG]

Belgian dubbel aged on bourbon fresh toasted oak. 9.5% about 8 months old. Really drinking nice !

Lukass, qjholler, SABERG and 8 others like this.
  36. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (518) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Brown Ale from here. It's still good>okay 5 months after bottling, but time is rapidly approaching to empty the bottles one way or another,

Prep8611, Davl22, Jasonja1474 and 3 others like this.
  37. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

[​IMG]
    NE pale ale. 5.2% marris otter, 2 row, oats. Hopped with idaho7, bru-1, Amarillo. Verdant yeast.

Lukass, Supergenious, SABERG and 7 others like this.
  38. SABERG

Society

What was your batch size, That looks wonderful and I'm interested in brewing it.
    Was the Barclay Perkins recipe based on 5 gl finished? or scaled.
    Thanks in advance
    Cheers

riptorn likes this.
  39. JSullivan

JSullivan Initiate (98) Aug 18, 2010 Massachusetts

Yeah the original was a 5 gallon recipe, but called for something like 23 pounds of grain. I scaled it down to 3.5 gallons because I don't think I can mash that much grain. Give it a shot, and let me know how it comes out

riptorn and SABERG like this.
  40. SABERG

Society

Thanks,
    That’s about the mash size of my annual Barleywine.
    So this will be my next project.
    On a side note, Pretty Things did one very similar and it was outstanding, as is known they are no more here.
    Cheers

Jasonja1474 and riptorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.