What Homebrew Are You Drinking Now? (2021)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSullivan

JSullivan Initiate (98) Aug 18, 2010 Massachusetts

Yeah I think they did the 1839 XX if I recall. It was good, as were many from that series. All the ones I've brewed from that book have been great as well.

riptorn, Jasonja1474 and SABERG like this.
  2. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

The 1855 EIP they did may have been the best beer I ever drank.

riptorn, SABERG and JSullivan like this.
  3. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (444) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

First taste of my fresh hop amber... it's good. Crystal/roast character has a slightly harsh edge that I think may ease with age, and the hops are a little anonymous, but that's probably my fault for using them in a malt-dominated style. Next year I'll try a British golden ale or something.

riptorn, Davl22, Lukass and 3 others like this.
  4. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,082) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

That was a favorite of mine as well
    Cheers

MrOH likes this.
  5. The_Modern_Brewhouse

The_Modern_Brewhouse Initiate (23) Sep 25, 2020 Minnesota

My '21 Festbier served traditionally vom holfass (out of the wooden keg) at our annual Oktobefest party on Saturday.

[​IMG]

6. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (444) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

Sexy lookin' beer.

riptorn and Jasonja1474 like this.
  7. JSullivan

The 1839 Barclay Perkins XXX has cleared nicely!

[​IMG]

SABERG, GormBrewhouse, Lukass and 8 others like this.
  8. skleice

skleice Aspirant (295) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Gluten free NZ Pils with Kohatu & Wai-iti. Nice delicate brew with a mix of lemon/lime, spice and light tropical fruit underneath. Crisp and refreshing. Head retention and lacing are on point. Doesn't seem to want to clear. Didn't bother with gelatin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[​IMG]

9. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

German Pils

First Pils I have made that I've been happy with (checks off another one of my 2021 brewing goals). Very simple but flavorful. Nice and dry with a great balance between malt flavor and light bitterness. Will be brewing this one again, maybe lager for a little shorter time period.

[​IMG]

10. skleice

skleice Aspirant (295) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Gluten free NEIPA with Nelson, Riwaka & Citra. This one still has a little bite to it and I'm definitely getting that Nelson diesel thang. Needs time to chill.

[​IMG]

zestd, GormBrewhouse, SABERG and 7 others like this.
  11. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (595) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Yes. It would have been fined with isinglass.

riptorn, MrOH and JSullivan like this.
  12. SABERG

Society

Enjoying this Saison
    2 row
    Spelt
    Wheat
    Amarillo
    Blaugies yeast
    Cheers all
    [​IMG]

13. patto1ro

Pretty Things brewed a version of that recipe. It was absolutely divine on cask at Deep Ellum. I think I got down at least four pints - it was that good.

SABERG, Lukass, Jasonja1474 and 3 others like this.
  14. JSullivan

I remember having several bombers of it years ago. Was the 1832 XXX or the 1838 XX? Either way I would have loved to try it on cask.

The ones I have brewed from your book (1850 Truman Imperial Stout, 1839 Barclay Perkins XXX, Courage 1914 Imperial Stout, 1834 Vassar Pale Double Stock Ale) have all been awesome. The 1850 Truman was super rich chocolate, awesome to have on tap all winter. I sent some of the 1834 Vassar beer with a friend for her 25th Vassar college reunion. Keep pumping those recipes out.

15. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

Wild Grisette refermented on Blueberries, Blueberry Honey and Lavender. I went light on the blueberries hoping for subtle fruit flavor and I think it paid off. Blueberry juice, that light sulfur you typically get with fresh bluebs, blaugies yeast, and the lavender comes in on the end. I always describe my favorite attribute of lavender in beer/food as yellow fruit loops. It’s definitely there, with mild pineapple and fruity honey notes on the back of the tongue. Brett and acidity is super light. Definitely interesting and unlike any fruited farmhouse ales I’ve done so far.

16. MrOH

Society

Around how much lavender are you using per 5 gallons?

riptorn and Jasonja1474 like this.
  17. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (499) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

My new wet hopped pale. Comes in at 5.3% and around 40 IBU.

Grist was Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter pale ale malt, Munich I, Bairds 55L and acidulated. Mashed at 158F and fermented with US-05.

OG 1.052
    FG 1.012

Used pellet Chinook, El Dorado and Idaho 7 in the boil, whirlpool and dry/keg hop (added pre-spunding). A big old load of fresh Chinook for a 30min hop stand at 170F post boil.

Came out really, really great. The heftier malt selections used (and high mash temp) give a great malt base for the hops here. Def getting that big cantelope melon note from the fresh hops. Faint pine, some fruity notes going on. Bright, crisp. Not super dry, which was the goal for the lower ABV.

Really happy with this one. Will be drinking this up quick, for sure.

[​IMG]

SABERG, Lukass, Davl22 and 9 others like this.
  18. patto1ro

It was the 1839 Barclay Perkins XXX. Their first brew of 1832 Truman XXXX was incredible. One of my all-time favourite beers.

SABERG, riptorn and JSullivan like this.
  19. JSullivan

Perhaps I'll give that recipe a go in the near future

riptorn likes this.
  20. The_Modern_Brewhouse

The_Modern_Brewhouse Initiate (23) Sep 25, 2020 Minnesota

Helles with proprietary yeast strain.

[​IMG]

21. MrOH

Society

Hoppy Brown Ale. Did essentially the same thing last year as an Imperial, I just removed a few pounds of GP for this one, 6.4% instead of 8.4% abv. It hits the same notes: orange, toasted nuts, cocoa powder, but I think I liked little bit more sweetness in the Imperial. I'll have to adjust crystal malt in the future, and then I think it will be right where I want it.

22. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,393) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Finally got the fresh hop pils on tap. 100% pilsner, Perle for bittering, and 6 oz homegrown dried chinook are flameout. Fermented with Imperial Harvest. A very tasty beer, with a subtle floral/citrus thing going on from the chinook. Cheers!

[​IMG]

23. SABERG

Society

Coffee Brown Ale version 3
    This time, with Kenya AA.
    Cheers all
    [​IMG]

butterygold, Davl22, Lukass and 7 others like this.
  24. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (124) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

So… I felt like making a lager but only had 2 row and Vienna.

Made a batch with just those two malts, 70% 2 Row and 30% Vienna.
    Hopped with Saaz and fermented with S-189. Tasting really good after 2 months in the keg.

25. Beer_Life

Beer_Life Initiate (24) Dec 5, 2020 New York

Does it taste as good as it looks/sounds? If so, would you mind sharing the recipe?

SABERG and riptorn like this.
  26. SABERG

Society

It is a tasty brown ale

8#s 2 row
    .5 #s Crisp Brown
    .5 #s Chocolate malt
    .5 #s Bicuit
    .5 #s Naked Oats
    .3 #s Acidulated
    mash 60 at 151
    60 minute boil
    1 0z EKG at 60
    1 Oz EKG at 30
    4 OZ Kenya AA (cracked in the meskh bag with a rolling pin, Coarse)
    last 10 minutes of the boil and Whirlpool (12 minutes)
    US-05 with a moderate sized starter
    Bottled with a target 2.0 on the carbonation.
    came in at 5.1%
    Thanks for asking

27. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

I know it’s late but tapped my Oktoberfest. It’s pretty clear, but does have some haze. During brew day something came up so ended up mashing longer than planned. Got a higher gravity and combine that with a conversion rest ended up with an Oktoberfest in the mid 6s. Higher than planned. Either way I am happy with it. I need to find a recipe and tweak it each year. Seems like a use a different recipe every year. This one is close to what I am looking for from a Marzen style Oktoberfest. Only bummer is my LHBS didn’t have the yeast I wanted, so ended up using WLP830 vs 820.

recipe:
    50% Munich, light
    45% Pils
    2% dark Munich
    3% biscuit

[​IMG]

28. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,193) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Kegged my batch of Dunkelweizen yesterday. Was based on the recipe (all grain version) in the "Brewing Classic Styles" book. Fermented at 62 degrees, kept any harsh Weizen yeast flavors in check. Nice bready, toasty and mild caramel flavor, just a touch of sweetness. Fairly smooth mouthfeel. Overall I am pleased with the result. OG 1.055, FG 1.012, 5.6% ABV
    [​IMG]

29. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (204) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Looks delicious!!

Applecrew135 likes this.
  30. Davl22

Trader

[​IMG]

Hoppy Lager: Why is it the last few pours of the keg are the tastiest?

Also including this pic of the bottle conditioned portion vs the kegged. I used a closed transfer to the bottling bucket too so a little surprised. Kegged version is cleaner and an overall better drinking experience for anyone debating switching to kegs. I might invest in a Blichman bottling gun in the future.
    [​IMG]

31. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,003) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe because stuff fell out of suspension with further lagering?

I've never heard of anyone doing a closed xfer to a bottling bucket. Did you purge the bucket and how? How did you vent pressure from the bottling bucket as it filled?

But even if you managed to overcome those obtacles cleanly, there's still the O2 exposure in the bottle while filling. Bottling is in general not a low oxygen process without some very sophisticated (commercial) equipment.

SABERG, Jasonja1474, MrOH and 3 others like this.
  32. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

That kegged version looks awesome!

I was not a fan of the bottling gun. I got a Tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler and really like it. Helps with keeping freshness in bottles as you are minimizing oxygen pickup compared to the bottling gun. Also the foam control is much better, making bottling a much cleaner and less wasteful process.

Jasonja1474, riptorn and Davl22 like this.
  33. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (518) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Tasting the Imperial Stout brewed on 2021-07-02. Intended to have one after two weeks, one month and three months. Forgot about the one month crack of the cap.

FWIW, highlights of the 2-week tasting:
    Mild roast and vanilla/chocolate in the aroma, no bourbon, oak, coconut. Taste is similar, but has something slightly acidic in the aftertaste. Bit of a meaty aroma and taste. Some alcohol taste on the exhale, but no burn at all. Carbonation is good. Head dissipates quickly but what remains laces nicely.

Changes over the past three months:
    Vanilla and roast have faded somewhat from the aroma and, surprisingly (to me), given way to some nice non-dark malt aroma. Chocolate still there. Perception of acidity is gone. The 'meaty' character has subsided, especially in aroma. There's still something that hints of umami in the back of the mouth, but it's less than before. Carbonation is still good, head still dissipates quickly and doesn't lace as well.
    If the improvement from 2 weeks old to 3.5 months old is an indicator, I'm looking forward to next fall.
    First pic is, of course, the beer. Second pic is just because I liked it......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. Davl22

Trader

Lol very true. I tend to be less patient with my lagers. I should’ve let it go another month before moving to keg.

I should’ve been more specific when I said closed transfer. I was kegging and bottling the same day, so I used a closed transfer to keg 2/3, and used co2 to transfer the other 1/3 to the bottling bucket.

VikeMan and riptorn like this.
  35. Davl22

Trader

Good to know about the bottling gun. I’ll look into the counter pressure filler.

riptorn likes this.
  36. butterygold

butterygold Initiate (48) May 12, 2020 Spain

Every one of these look amazing! Special props to skleice, Davl22 and invertalon ('my kind of beer' bias going on).

Jasonja1474 and skleice like this.
  37. butterygold

butterygold Initiate (48) May 12, 2020 Spain

Sounds awesome!

riptorn likes this.
  38. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (518) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Thanks.
    it was brewed bottled on 2021-07-02. Last night's bottle had "O2?" written on it. It was the last one filled and there was quite a bit og gurgling through the wand. Not sure if that made much of a difference.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  39. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,994) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Brewed with Cascade and Willamette hops. I call it Mountains to the Valley.
    [​IMG]

Lukass, Jasonja1474, riptorn and 6 others like this.
  40. SABERG

Society

A few bottles of Coffee Brown Ale left.
    Cheers all
    [​IMG]

Lukass, Jasonja1474, Prep8611 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.