What Homebrew Are You Drinking Now? (2021)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (110) Dec 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

On a year long quest to brew a Pilsner with good hop presence, I'm currently drinking a keg of dip hopped Pils.

The grist is simple, Best Malz Pils, some acid malt,
    Yeast is Imperial Que Bueno (Modello)
    Hops are actually Styrian Goldings, Celia (another name for Styrian Goldings apparently) and Styrian Wolf, bittered to about 38IBU with Magnum

3oz of hops were loaded into the stainless fermenter, and when my pre boil wort hit about 170f, i racked in ~ 1/4 gallon of hot wort and then let that steep for the rest of the brew day. When the rest of my boiled wort was chilled, I racked it on top of the hops / hot wort in the fermenter.

It fermented out pretty quick at 50F.

At first tasting the hop flavor was actually too much - which normally isnt a problem for me, but the flavor was quite vegetal. Not sure if it had to do with the fact that these hops didn't smell incredible (passable at best), or if it results in too much contact time, or if the dip hopping method did something weird to the flavor of the beer.

Now, after another month or so in the keg, the beer has dropped 100% bright and the vegetal flavor is mostly gone. The hop presence is really strong still, but comes across more as floral / herbal as expected from the Styrian hops. The dip hopping method is supposed to help you emphasize non-myrcene hop oils, so maybe it did that? Not sure, but I think it is a method worth exploring with pale lagers. Next time I'd go for perhaps half of the amount of hops, and use hops that smelled exceptional rather than so-so.

[​IMG]

2. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,085) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Enjoying this version of Coffee Brown Ale.
    Cheers all
    [​IMG]

3. skleice

skleice Aspirant (295) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

[​IMG]

Doing a little "calibration" today. Its been 4 years since having to go gluten free. I occasionally like to do comparisons to keep myself on track. My last stout comparison was surprisingly on point. However, I'm disappointed with this one.

Other Half Simcoe Daydream vs Citra, Galaxy Mosaic gf brew.

Head retention was very similar.

Mouthfeel: body fullness is not much different (which is a huge win for me because gf malts have way less protein). But, the OH is softer, pillowy for sure.

Aroma: I'm super disappointed in this one. Last time I brewed it, the aroma was HUGE, but not so much this time. Don't think its oxidized, but something went awry. The Other Half jumps out of the glass with a strong peach/passion fruit vibe. It smells like when I used the aroma extracts (Hop Citrales) from Kalsec.

Flavor: My brew has hop saturation, but just generic citrus and the finish is long with too much bitterness The OH is again, pure peach/passion fruit, finishes clean and is gone instantly.

Going forward - I'd like to achieve a bit more sweetness from the grain bill, dial back the bitterness and hit those aromas more consistently. Cheers.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,941) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Framboise. I made 2.5 cases and have been consuming 1-2 bottles a month since, well, I have 1.5 cases left so you do the math. There's still a distracting note that I think could be raspberry seeds, but I could always find something I liked about it and it has gotten better with age.

butterygold, Lukass, riptorn and 7 others like this.
  5. gvickery

gvickery Defender (612) May 13, 2017 Texas

[​IMG] American amber ale.
    BIAB
    2-row
    Caramel 60
    Caramunich III
    Columbus and Fuggle hops
    US-05

SABERG, RJLarse, butterygold and 7 others like this.
  6. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

“New Zealand” Saison: Pils, wheat, spelt. Motueka, Wai-iti, Taiheke hops. Manuka honey at flame out. WY Farmhouse. Mixed culture at bottling. The Manuka pops way more than expected with this really interesting herbal Eucalyptus/Mint character. The hops are all vibrant lime and pineapple. It’s good but I was hoping the hops would take center stage. The earthiness from the honey overpowers the rest of the ingredients.

SABERG, butterygold, Lukass and 6 others like this.
  7. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

American Stout: 5.5% abv, Golden Promise, oats, flaked rye, Chocolate malt, C20/60, Roasted Barley. Mash at 155. 90 min boil. Columbus and Fuggles in the boil. WY American II.

I was short on my OG, was hoping it’d finish around 6.2%, but it still has a nice body regardless. Roasty, nutty, pleasantly dry on the finish with a hint of herbal/citrus. Very drinkable. It’s not 100% what I was shooting for but it’s enjoyable. In the future I think I’ll drop the late fuggles in the boil, bump the malt and roast a bit, and use an English strain to get more dried fruit character.

8. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (769) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

[​IMG]
    Blend of Brett Barleywine and Bourbon Brett Imperial Black Saison. Light oak, rich malt, spicy phenols, touch of funk, dry chocolaty finish.

9. jbakajust1

@PortLargo LOOK! Your favorite beer pictures are back!

PortLargo likes this.
  10. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (204) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Bottled some of the Belgian Quad I put in the Apple Brandy barrel after taking the stout out. For my first attempt at this style it’s pretty dang good. I love it as is so I hope the barrel adds a lot more. [​IMG] I missed on the carbonation though, I only added one sugar cube and probably could’ve used 2.

11. skleice

Gluten free American Brown Ale (averagely perfect adaptation):

[​IMG]

It's toasty, nutty & clean. Just a nice 5% easy drinking brown. I may add a bit of chocolate malt, or not. It's good as is.

12. jbakajust1

[​IMG]
    Witbier I brewed last weekend with my Nectarine Blossom yeast.

13. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,397) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

[​IMG]

Golden promise/HBC-630 SMaSH, fermented with Lutra. 7% abv, 40ish IBUs.

15 days old and really tasty, never used HBC-630 before but it’s an amazing hop - lots of berry/orange marmalade in the overall flavor. The lutra does a good job at clearing up after just 1 week, even when fermenting it on the lower end of 72ish. Less lager-like than Omega says though, IMO. Its a bit fruitier, more like a Kölsch strain. That being said, this strain would be perfect for a quick Kölsch or cream ale… cheers!

14. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,003) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

On another forum, there's a Lutra "lager" cult that would be quite offended by this comment. I approve. :slight_smile:

GormBrewhouse and Lukass like this.
  15. Lukass

Society

Lol I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that thread. It’s definitely a great yeast, but tastes more like a cool fermented ale, at least for me. Have you used it before and if so what were your thoughts?

16. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,003) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I haven't used it. But I've tasted "lagers" made with it and was not impressed. The beers were fine, but they weren't convincing lagers IMO.

Lukass likes this.
  17. Lukass

Society

I’m trying it again in a 100% pils/Perle lager and will be fermenting the other half with Augustiner Lager. Big difference in the two strains from my experience, so should be fun to compare!

18. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Devotee (416) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Weizenbock from brewing classic styles:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. skleice

Christmas just exploded in our house. Time to sit back and have a brew.

This beer is pretty cool. Gluten free milk stout with candy cap mushrooms. I gotta say, I'm blown away by what such a small dose of these mushrooms can do. When I made the tincture it filled the whole basement with maple-y goodness. I think this dose is just right. The maple comes through nicely in the aroma/flavor without bashing you over the head. The mushrooms also added a nice earthy complexity, but do not smell/taste of mushrooms. I look forward to using these again.

[​IMG]

20. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (499) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Tapped the smoked ale I smoked the malt for and brewed about two weeks ago. Finished at 5.8% ABV.

Huge bacon, lightly peaty smoke. Probably the most intense smoked beer I've made to date. FG of 1.008 leaves it super crisp. Some bready/doughy character rides in at the end. Downright dangerous... love it!!

[​IMG]

21. skleice

GF IPA with Cascade, Amarillo & Centennial fermented with Voss Kveik @ 95°.

[​IMG]

Overripe orange yeast character dominates everything else. Can't say I'm a big fan. I have 1 more sachet that I plan to ferment on the colder side to see if it will turn out cleaner.

22. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (168) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Testing the Citra pale ale after splitting firewood. Finally got the Epsom salt right to give that crisp slightly tongue burning aftertaste.

[​IMG]

23. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

Just tapped my West Coast Pilsner. It’s my attempt at Timbo Pils by Highland Park. It’s a super hoppy Pilsner but super drinkable. Had it about a month or so ago at the brewery and was blown away. I was told it’s mostly mosaic and some citra hops.

so brewed it with 98% Pilsner malt and 2% melanoidin malt. Added a 6.5 ozs of mosaic, between flameout and dry hop and 3ozs of citra. With a little noble hops in the boil.

Got a higher efficiency than planned so I ended up 5.7% vs the 5.5%.

super hoppy, yet light and drinkable. Touch of bitterness to balance it out and higher carbonation level.

been in the keg for 6 days. Only issue is the head doesn’t stick around too long. Thinking give it some time and should be perfect.

One of my favorite homebrews ever.

[​IMG]

24. skleice

Gluten free Galaxy, Simcoe & Amarillo NEIPA fermented with Verdant.

[​IMG]

This one is pretty good and getting closer to where I need to be. Going forward, I plan to pull back the IBUs a bit and add a bit more sweetness by increasing the caramillet. I also asked for some aromazyme for Xmas, so I'll be trying that out on the next iteration.

25. SABERG

Society

Wee Heavy
    20 months bottle conditioned
    Smooth as silk, malty, sweet.
    [​IMG]

26. jbakajust1

[​IMG]
    Winter Warmer brewed 2 weeks ago. Pale Chocolate Malt, CaraVienne, Dark Munich, Pale Malt. Comet, Simcoe, Chinook. West Yorkshire. 6.2% 50ish IBUs. Cocoa, pine, resine, raisin bread, toast, lingering bitterness, crisp finish. Damn good beer.

27. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,941) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Dark mild is pretty quaffable

28. GetMeAnIPA

had a wee heavy the other day and thought damn I need to drink this style more often. Sounds delicious

GormBrewhouse and SABERG like this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

that sounds damn good! All the flavors I love.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  30. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,994) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

A Porter brewed back in September. It's good but low ABV.
    [​IMG]

31. skleice

Milletwine:

10%. Big time caramel, plum, raisin, chocolate and a tiny bit of heat. Bangin'

[​IMG]

32. SABERG

Society

Enjoying a new batch of Brown Ale
    Cheers all
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.