What homebrew are you drinking now? August 2014 edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ronobvious2, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Hoppy hefe, interesting combo... I like it but not sure how often it will be in my lineup

CurtFromHershey, BILF and NiceFly like this.
  2. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

What was your mash temp and term temp like? I have never gotten much out of 3711, though I hear plenty of people like it.

3. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (270) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I mash at 152. Not sure about the term temp, I haven't taken one in a while.

4. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Aspirant (238) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri
    Industry

Here's the Tank 7 recipe info I send out to folks looking to clone:

Malt
    Pale Malt - 77.5%
    Pregelatinized corn flakes - 20%
    Malted Wheat - 2.5%

Mash in at 63 C and rest for 50 minutes.
    68 C - 25 min
    73 C - 15 min
    Mash off at 78 C

We target a beginning of boil gravity of 17.0 degrees Plato and target 17.6 at end of boil.

Hops
    Magnum - 6 IBU at 98 C
    Simcoe - 5 IBU at 15 minutes After beginning of boil
    Amarillo - 15.7 IBU at 5 minutes before end of boil
    Amarillo - 10.7 IBU during whirlpooling

We cool the wort to 19 C and let it rise to 21 C in the fermenter. We ferment at 21 C until we reach 7 Plato at which point we temp up to 23 C for the remainder of fermentation. Ending Plato is 2.2.

Dry Hopping
    Amarillo .089 kg/bbl

jmich24, Mullen2525, Mongrel and 3 others like this.
  5. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (3,741) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Saison with rosemary, lemon zest, and Citra.

BILF likes this.
  6. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

Was going to polish off my keg of NHC Gold Munich Dunkel but Dad is back in the hospital. I'll save it for him as I think he'll appreciate it more. Just finished bottling it; heading up there next week.
    Drinking black currant and raspberry melomel instead. Damn good; almost like I know what I'm doing. Almost. :sunglasses:

cheers--
    --Michael

BILF and skivtjerry like this.
  7. ventura78

Thanks again for offering up the recipe, I wish more pro brewers would do this.

BILF and JeremyDanner like this.
  8. ventura78

I having one right now! ( my version of tank 7)

BILF likes this.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,177) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Gonna drink off the (#humblebrag) state fair silver medal IPA.

Mikus, BILF, csoult and 1 other person like this.
  10. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Office closed early due to the air conditioning and internet going down. So I am enjoying my afternoon with an ipa hopbursted with Zythos and Motueka and Galaxy. A lot of hop flavor going on in this one. The citrus and lemon/lime flavors come through really well. Only 5.5% and 55 ibu very drinkable on a nice day.

BILF and CurtFromHershey like this.
  11. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,279) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium Member Beer Trader

My 2 year old Wild Wit beer (chamomile, green & pink peppercorns, coriander, orange peel) fermented with 3726 Farmhouse, bottled with 3/4 gallons of the base beer on Russian River Consecration at 4 weeks (yes bottled with souring bacteria and Brett at 4 weeks). Dropped onto freshly picked wet Columbus hops in a French Press. Hoppy, grassy, citrusy, resiny, tart, peppery, fruity, chlorophyl. Not a lot of funk for 2 years. Needs more CO2 as it was knocked from solution in the press (should have pressed half then topped up in glass). The hops actually add a biting bitterness (probably chlorophenols), and it is not distinctly Columbus (dank). Need to do a full wet hop beer with next year's harvest for sure.
    [​IMG]

CurtFromHershey and stealth like this.
  12. stealth

stealth Zealot (509) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Apologies for the shitty untappd croppage, but this unassuming brew is possibly the best IPA I've ever drank.

100% Nelson Sauvin IPA that sat on 1.5lbs of apricots (1 gallon test batch) for a week. I can't begin to describe the ridiculousness of this brew. Pardon the poor head, it was a real gentle pour to avoid disturbing puree at the bottom of the bottle.

13. MrOH

MrOH Champion (824) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Belgian IPA. Best brew I've done in a few months; what I'm settling into as my IPA grainbill (11# GP[I switch between Simpsons and Fawcett depending on which store I'm at when I need a new sack], .5# light carastan, .25# honey malt), lots of amarillo, mosaic, and kohatu, Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale yeast. Super fruity, juicy in the middle, dry, spicy bite at the end.

ipas-for-life and BILF like this.
  14. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (284) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Porters tonight: I started off with a few pints of my standard porter, my wife decided she liked it, then I brought out the BIG GUN. I poured a pint of Bourbon Vanilla Porter for each of us and she loved it. She's always enjoyed my homebrews, as long as they were not dark beer(or she couldn't see they were dark) until tonight. She said it's a perfect dessert beer and she may be right. It's a beer I don't drink more than once or twice a month, but it's a great after dinner drink.

MrOH, jbakajust1 and BILF like this.
  15. kennyg

kennyg Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Illinois

Mosaic IPA. So tasty.

16. basscram

basscram Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2006 Maine

all extract with ribeye! steak and ale! [​IMG]

17. alanforbeer

alanforbeer Initiate (57) Jan 29, 2011 South Carolina

18. jmich24

jmich24 Devotee (455) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

IPA with Citra and Mosaic. Damn tasty beer.

BILF likes this.
  19. Mikus

Mikus Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Cracked the first bottle of my Russian Nightmare Imperial Stout (so named because the lid got blown off of the fermenting bucket three times during the first day after brewing)... the drastic sanitary measures taken during the nightmare day after seemed to have been well spent... this nightmare would hold up to many commercial imperial stouts that I have tried. Can't wait to brew, and set aside some more! Not bad at all for the first attempt at the style. Damn good thing to have a good brew crew!

jbakajust1 and BILF like this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,177) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Getting housed on double sunshine clone and watching star wars: a new hope.

bushycook, Mikus and BILF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.