What homebrew are you drinking now? (May 2018)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Prep8611, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (246) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Sorry but I couldn’t find this post anywhere so I believe I’m starting it off 7 days into May!
    On tap is a saison I made with pils, rye, HMF, and imperial organic rustic slurry. Still needs a few more days to carb up perfectly but the taste is already almost on point. Love brewing saisons!
    [​IMG]
    At this point in carbonation it could easily pass for a Belgian blonde. May post later tonight with an English dark mild I made as well later tonight!

2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (385) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

off on call, the boys stopped by, both brothers ipa and dipa, belgian blueberry an just a bit of stout liqure. a fine evening

Prep8611 likes this.
  3. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (128) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

Finished up my keg of AAL earlier this month and almost done with my 100% Azacca hopped pale. Last keg in the fridge is a session brown IPA single hopped with Chinook that will not settle out. WY1450 plus gelatin and still not looking good after over a month in the keg. I may be dumping it. Empty kegs are forcing me to focus on drinking the last of my bottled beers: Saison, Irish stout, and a Scottish ale. It may be over 100° here, but those dark beers are still drinking great!

That said, it's time to get brewing! I've got a festbier fermenting now and an IPA in planning. Once I've cleared out the aforementioned bottles, I'll increase my maximum keg capacity from two to five or six on tap at a time.

Yalc, Lukass, Prep8611 and 1 other person like this.
  4. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (69) Jun 21, 2014 California

Drank a Vienna/Idaho 7 SMaSH I made back in early Feb with dinner tonight and I think it's really hitting its stride. Makes me want to wait a lot longer before drinking my bottled beers.

Lukass, Prep8611 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  5. Lukass

Lukass Savant (917) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Was sipping on a Pils/Wheat kettle sour earlier today. Brewed with lots of oats, and lots of late addition Citra. Fermented with Brett Brux Trois Vrai and Apricots.

Perfect for the summer months ahead, it tastes like straight up sour apricot/fruit loops! Very dry, but the oats give it a smoother mouthfeel with the higher carbonation.

[​IMG]

Mongrel, skleice, Soneast and 8 others like this.
  6. GormBrewhouse

Dipa and saaz lager.

Prep8611 likes this.
  7. MorningDew72

MorningDew72 Initiate (44) Aug 15, 2014 Washington

Czech-Style Pilsner
    [​IMG]
    Helles
    [​IMG]

Mongrel, skleice, Soneast and 7 others like this.
  8. GormBrewhouse

belgian blueberry

Scope4Beer and Prep8611 like this.
  9. Push_the_limits

Push_the_limits Initiate (30) Feb 8, 2018 Antarctica

Saison IPA
    Specialty ingredient was 3 lbs of raw, unfiltered honey from local farmer's market.
    It went from gravity 1.085 to 1.006 .

[​IMG]

#9 Push_the_limits, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  10. c64person

c64person Disciple (396) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Let's try something new!

It getting warm here in the south, perfect time for a lovely summery gose.

This is my take, a lovely raspberry gose soured with pediococcus and lacto. Finished with about 1lb/gallon of raspberries and drinking amazing.

[​IMG]

11. Push_the_limits

May has been abundant month!
    Here is a basic ale made with 1.5 lbs of five-grain oatmeal steeped until boil.
    [​IMG]

The one below is a Biere de Garde with Saison yeast. Super tasty.
    [​IMG]

12. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (266) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Blonde Ale I made with all Taiheke (NZ Cascade). First time using Scottish Ale yeast, room I ferment in is 60 so just thought I’d give it a whirl as it’s supposed to work well that low.. it’s pretty mehhh. Not 100% sure why. Don’t make enough 4% beers, need to work on them.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  13. Push_the_limits

Sorry to be a hog. I forgot the pic of the stout. You could sleep in the head, it's like a pillow.
    It's actually the exact B3 stout recipe kit from the morebeer website. Pretty good! It's not a thick or heavy stout at all. Mine turned out pretty dry has some big stout flavors.

[​IMG]

14. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (427) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Terrible picture for now, but just setup my last keg for tomorrow, my NE IPA brewed last Friday w/ Simcoe, Vic Secret and Galaxy. Wow, may just be my best to date for the style. Can't wait to have a full pour tomorrow.

[​IMG]

15. Soneast

Soneast Crusader (795) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Drinking a experimental Pale Ale with Michigan Copper and Mackinac hops. I'm pretty happy with this combo of hops. The aroma is quite pungent, mostly grapefruit, but with a bit of a dank-ness bordering on skunk actually, which somewhat follows through in the taste, but the grapefruit is more of an upfront flavor, while mid palate and after swallow is actually very peach-like. [​IMG]

16. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (420) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

I’m sipping on some young monster RIS I brewed at the end of March. WLP001/ 99 took it from 1.138 down to 1.028. Doesn’t actually drink too hot but I’m going to age it on oak and something anyway. Probably bourbon. It’s dark chocolate and dark fruit forward (Pale and regular chocolate malt plus loads of special B in the grist) Rum would pair well but I already have one of those on tap.

17. Push_the_limits

When you say WLP001/ 99, do you mean you pitched them at the same time, in same quantities? Sounds great by the way

18. MrOH

MrOH Champion (829) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Tried a bottle of BDSA w/ Brett C, cherries, and mahleb last night. Still not carbed after about 6 months in the bottle (there was a little "pfft" when I cracked it), but that's not too surprising given the ABV (~13%).
    Really interesting- it tastes like some sort of cherry and almond cake, and more like a liqueur than beer. I really dig it. Maybe it'll be more beer-like if it ever carbs up.

GormBrewhouse, Lukass and Prep8611 like this.
  19. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (83) May 2, 2016 Minnesota

Helles

[​IMG]

Malt liquor

[​IMG]

And the offical tapping of the Maibock.

[​IMG]

20. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,462) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I dunno, dude. I think the beer maid ripped you off.

21. Prep8611

[​IMG]
    English esb with ekg. 8 days since I pitched yeast. Tasting real nice. Fermented with wlp002

22. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (216) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

[​IMG]

My very first all-grain batch: A session IPA with warrior, centennial, and cascade

23. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,462) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Congrats.

24. invertalon

A little new beer photography tonight... Tapped three new beers this past weekend!

Festbier (5.5% ABV, 22 IBU - 63% Pils, 25% Vienna, 6% Dark Munich and 3% Carahell and Acidulated... Hallertau Hersbrucker hops)

[​IMG]

German Pils (4.8% ABV, 35 IBU - Hallertau Magnum, Spalt, Mittelfrueh and Tettnang)

[​IMG]

NE IPA (6% ABV - Vic Secret, Simcoe and Galaxy hops... Grist 70% 2-row, 19% white wheat, 8% vienna and 3% table sugar)

[​IMG]

25. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Initiate (137) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Great photos (outside of the beer, which looks good too)!

GormBrewhouse and invertalon like this.
  26. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,746) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Dryhopped slightly sour session ale. Yep, that's a style. Pale ale-ish beer made with Sacch trois, blended with some pre-soured wort (thanks to Good Belly), with some mosaic and citra dry hops. This has turned into a pretty nice session beer.

27. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (128) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

Those photos are awesome! The beers look great as well. I've been craving a good German lager. Luckily, my Festbier should be finishing up primary this week. I certainly am not waiting until October to tap it.

GormBrewhouse and invertalon like this.
  28. invertalon

Thanks! Festbier is wonderful anytime of year, so tap that bad boy early, lol... Hope yours turns out awesome as well! Such a great beer style.

29. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,249) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

Blend of (80%) 100% Brett Quad aged 1 year in Bourbon Barrel, (20%) "Solera" Wild Red Ale, 5 gallons, 2oz roasted cacao powder... cocoa, dark fruits, vanilla, tart cherry, sweet malt, char, booze, leather, nice acid.
    [​IMG]

30. Prep8611

[​IMG]
    Tasty ESB in a proper glass this time.

31. pweis909

Premium

Session IPA, Belgian style. A few days ago I would have said I like it. Tonight, it's no Houblun Chouffe, my palate being ruined by an early evening visit to the local craft beer bar. Perhaps my forays into session strength brews make me really appreciate a well done high grav example.

32. wasatchback

Any idea what PH it ended up at?

33. pweis909

Premium

I've been thinking of incorporating pH measurements into my process for sours, but currently, I do not. Maybe I'll take a sample of the beer and the pre-soured wort into work to get a better understanding of what I got (I canned and refrigerated some of the soured wort).

34. GormBrewhouse

Irish stout, tho a little disappointing. Used caripills and oatmeal .5 lb each cause I had run out of flaked barley. Won't do that again.

35. wasatchback

I ask cause I’ve been wondering about dry hopping and sour beers. When PH is so low in the case of a lot of sour beers you can get less extraction from the hops. I’ve heard of people that make the Dry Hopped Sour IPAs that they are generally split batches. A portion is kettle soured, other portion is not. Both are fermented separately and the non soured portion is heavily dry hopped then blended back into one beer.

36. pweis909

Premium

I didn’t know this ^^^ but I was going for something only slightly sour. When I have done other sours, they have sometimes gotten too sour for others. However, I have also wondered if I could have relied on dry hops to stop the souring.

37. GormBrewhouse

boys are comng over its gonna b a IPA night, and stout liquore.

Push_the_limits and Prep8611 like this.
  38. c64person

Trader

Still drinking on my excellent Mosaic pale with butterfly peaberry flowers. Gives an amazing hue that is really difficult to capture with the camera.

[​IMG]

39. Push_the_limits

Do those add perceptible flavor?Did you steep them, or other? Looks like an amazing addition.

40. c64person

Trader

They add just a little earthiness, but nothing major for as much awesome color as you get. I posted over at /r/homebrew a full recipe and thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.