What homebrew are you drinking now?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BILF, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Saison, with Belle Saison yeast. Ain't bad.

NiceFly and BILF like this.
  2. b-one

b-one Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 California

FUBAR Brown Ale. My usual - take a decent recipe and throw some other grains at it to see what happens.
    I like it.

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

What we did was come prepared for whatever my be thrown at us. Different hops, yeasts, spices, fruits. You could add up to 1# of sugar (including dark belgian candi). You were not allowed to add any malts. I gave them 20 minutes to created a recipe after finding out the grist and mash temp. 60 minute boil, 5 gallons. I did a brew off write up here, and will follow up soon with a "what I learned" post soon. Looks like we are going to do it again, possibly twice a year.

4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,671) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

Great write up! I like the guy who did the ESB with orange peel, great improv! I will have to try to get in on something like this in the future! (chances are I would have made an IPA, lol, they're so universal and hard to screw up).

5. jbakajust1

That orange peel one got infected and was horrible. One judge (big time AHA guy) said that mine was infected crap, but 5 others disagreed. The rest of the beers were fun to enjoy though. The Alt was really drinkable, just not bitter enough, it won People's Choice. The dubbel took 1st and was great. The Chile Lime Amber was amazing, took 2nd, but got disqualified as it was a COC but he is not a club member, so he got honorable mention. The two IPAs took 2nd and 3rd. I am looking forward to the Spring beer. I should have done a Saison on this one, Milds are so hard to begin with.

6. AlCaponeJunior

Society

I have a recipe for a mild but haven't done it yet (the recipe was formulated here, via a thread. I do save those!). I suspect that because I formulated the recipe here, I have a higher than average probability of success on my first mild attempt.

Too bad on the orange peel brew, that sounded good.

Now if five people disagreed about your beer being infected, why did the judge say it was infected? Taste threshold for a given compound? Learning/experience? Because I suspect that a judge said yours was infected crap (assuming yours was in fact infected) then what would the same judge say about mine? I can't say any of mine were infected at all (except one which I poured down the drain before bottling, because it looked terrible, but actually smelled fine while pouring, so I'm not even sure on that, I did not taste it). Just a thought, of course, maybe none of mine were infected** at all, but I don't consider myself infallible, nor do I consider my taste buds especially fine-tuned. I wish I had a reliable, non-stuffy, certified judge to taste all my beers (and help me develop my tastes). I know one who's a master, but he lives 1100 miles away. I did send him a beer once when I was pretty new, he said it was great! I hope so, it was his recipe!!

Did you have to bring all possible yeasts, ready to pitch? I am assuming you couldn't possibly bring a full selection of yeast, as many would need a starter (or at least I always make a starter for liquid yeasts, single vial/pack). Dry yeasts are of course much easier, and I generally have several in stock*, even without prepping for a competition like this.

I really need to get in on something along these lines, not necessarily exactly the same, but with an element of the unknown, and a short time to improvise a recipe for a base wort that's the same for everyone. Anybody in San Antonio game, or got a lead / ideas? I really need to get a beer or two into some sort of competition, just to say I did if nothing else.

*I learned the hard way not to rely on memory as to what yeasts are at my bro's house, and not to forget to make starters, and not to forget to bring made starters to his house. The one time I forgot to bring a made starter, it was bavarian wheat yeast (not something I had dry stock for). I improvised with 1/2 and 1/2 S-04 and US-05, and the beer came out a bit funky (plenty drinkable, but elderberry wheat beer really needs bavarian wheat yeast). Another time I had to use S-04 for a blonde ale instead of US-05, which made the blonde ale taste like an English ale (to me S-04 just tastes of English ale).

**actually, not completely true. I had a few individual bottles infected before I got real picky on the cleaning with hot water / drying completely upside-down / storage covered with tinfoil standard for my bottles. Nowadays, any bottle that is even slightly possibly maybe unacceptable for any parameter is rejected outright and sent to recycle. I have plenty of bottles, and I am still buying commercial beer, so yes, I am very picky on that. I think everyone should be who bottles.

7. AlCaponeJunior

Society

Also, great blog! I put your blog in my "reader." Why doesn't blogspot have "follow" and "tweet" etc buttons? Or are those user controlled / dependent? I like to make my blog as easy for people to follow as possible, and as easy to spam their friends with as possible. :rolling_eyes:

[shameless self-promotion]

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: ----> follow my blog here <---- :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: ----> press the follow button to follow my blog <----
    :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

[/shameless self-promotion]

8. jbakajust1

I think you couldn't find my follow at the bottom because you are already following me? I know you are on Twitter (your old avatar gives it away). As far as the judge, he is well known, but that doesn't make him flawless, I always like reading the side by sides in Zymurgy, those guys can get completely different beers from the same bottle. Is the judge that tried your beer that was his recipe is from the middle of OR?

9. brewmandan

brewmandan Initiate (0) May 10, 2010 Iowa

On my 2nd to last bottle of homebrewed Oktoberfest. Maybe a pre-prohibition style lager for brewing next.

10. imtroy703

imtroy703 Devotee (432) Nov 13, 2009 Virginia
    Society Trader

Shining Star Pale Ale (kit) w/ orange peel and grapefreuit at flameout. A Palisades/Centenial/Columbus hopped beer.

NiceFly likes this.
  11. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Initiate (72) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

[​IMG]

Toasted Amber Ale. 5% abv

BeerKangaroo, NiceFly and marc77 like this.
  12. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Initiate (72) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

[​IMG]

All Columbus IPA made from locally grown hops. 6.7% abv

13. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

I put a botle of my Brett'd RIS in the fridge today . . . hopefully it'll be carbed. It's taken a while (not supprising at > 12% ABV).

NiceFly, BILF and od_sf like this.
  14. od_sf

od_sf Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 California

[​IMG]

This beer started out as a saison using 3711 with a very simple grain bill (Belgian pale malt, a little bit of wheat) and noble hops. After 2 weeks I added 3 strains of brettanomyces (Brux & Clausnii + a strain from Crooked Stave) and it developed a brettanomyces pellicle that didn't budge for 5 months. Bottled 4 weeks ago.

Final gravity 1.000, 6.5% AB.

Just tried the first one. It gushed for a second upon opening. Had a 1 inch, completely white head, but it dissipated quickly. High carbonation. Super funky, a little bit sour, extra dry. The funk is not for the faint of heart. The saison yeast characteristics have all but disappeared, it's all brett at this point. Closest flavor profile I could compare it to is a lambic, but carbed, and less sour. Pretty interesting stuff! Not super complex, but it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 6 months in the bottle.

#334 od_sf, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  15. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

Imperial Red brewed with Simcoe, Cascade, and Chinook. Calling it Pine Bomb or Pine Resin Red. 100 ibu's and over 8% abv.

NiceFly, BILF and bgjohnston like this.
  16. mpyoung215

mpyoung215 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2010 Massachusetts

Wheat IPA with lots of Simcoe!

[​IMG]

NiceFly, od_sf, marc77 and 2 others like this.
  17. jbakajust1

27 month old Lambic. I fermented it with yeast I cultured from blackberries and peaches. Added dregs from homebrews and commercial sours over the course of a year. Bottled last September. Juicy, fruity, funky, Lactic sourness, tannin, light oak, touch of cherry pie, but mostly tropical fruits.

NiceFly, od_sf and BILF like this.
  18. mpyoung215

mpyoung215 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2010 Massachusetts

Bells Porter Clone...bummed I can't do a side-by-side with the real thing...

[​IMG]

19. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I just bottled a variant of Joe's Ancient Orange mead and the last 7 oz in the bottling bucket are in my wine glass. It finished sweet and dessert-like, but the chai-spices, orange, orange rind bitterness, and 9.5% est. ABV are helpful to bring enough balance to it that one glass is good for sipping. It was a 1 gallon batch, but I only got 7 bottles because of absorption by the fruit. Still, 7 bottles may last a long time. Might be good as a cocktail mixer, wassail, or eggnog additive. Might be nice to mix in with a tripel, too.

And before I bottled, I had a glass of my petite saison with Belle Saison yeast.

20. hogrider

hogrider Disciple (344) Dec 9, 2010 Florida

I am drinking a Belgian Ale that I brewed about a month ago. I kegged it and man it is out of this world, it is clocking at about 6% abv. I am now conditioning 5 gallons of an IPA, my first. I let you guys know how it came out. HOG

21. Ilanko

Ilanko Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2012 New York

French Saison 3711
    biere de mars / noel 3711
    Dunkelweizen 029
    Kölsch 1007

22. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,036) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Not really 'drinking,' but just sampled a Northern English Brown that went on tap. It's possible some of it may get consumed today during football.

23. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Just pulled the handle on my Black RyePA.. Need to drink this beast down to get an empty keg for the Chocolate stout.

24. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

Black IPA / India Dark Ale... whatever. Easily the best one of these I've done. Loving that Briess Midnight Wheat. It seems even smoother versus Carafa special to me. Moosey head too, but could be the hops as well. Maris Otter base, some Caramunich, and midnight wheat. Hops were Polaris, Mandarina, Chinook and Calypso. Used the Wyeast West Coast IPA seasonal. Seems even cleaner than 1056/001 if possible.[​IMG]

25. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (293) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

Pentultimate bottle of North Coast's Old Stock ale clown brewed JAN-12.
    Bourboned oak
    ABV 12%

26. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Defender (603) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Off the cuff black & tan with Zythos/Chinook IPA + my first attempt at an Alchmist Pappy's Porter clone (not quite there but decent). Both fermented with Conan yeast.

27. EdH

EdH Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2005 Utah

Belgian Dubbel: First time using WLP500, and it only attenuated to 1.012 (from 1.058). So, I wish it were drier--but otherwise, pretty good.

28. beer272

beer272 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2009 New Jersey

Drank the dregs of my 2nd wine in my coffee! A unique taste.

NiceFly likes this.
  29. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Disciple (306) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I've been drinking hefeweizen all night, but right now I have a glass of my alt that I brewed for Oktoberfest. This is the 2nd keg, and I'm sure it's gonna kick pretty soon.

30. jbakajust1

A goblet of my 1st place Dopplebock. It is drinking nicely at nearly a year now. So smooth. Gonna rebrew it in a couple months, 10 gallons, split batch, 1/2 same as before, the other 1/2 will get Trappist High Gravity and 1# D2 @ high krausen.

NiceFly, BILF and EdH like this.
  31. AlCaponeJunior

Society

Popped a test bottle of double-triple smash (lol) which has munich/vienna malts and bravo/belma/centennial hops. It's carbing fine but wasn't quite ready yet (day 10). Should be good to go in another week. Flavor and aroma were consistent with tasty beer.

Gotta get out to the mancave this week and dry hop the IPA that's about ready for dry hops. Will also try to brew again this week. Didn't have my stout recipe handy, so last time I was at the LHBS I just picked up 12 lbs of Belgian pilsner malt so I'd at least have something to brew when I get the chance. Was thinking of trying out super-galena hops on that one, doing it IPA-ish on the hops levels, so I get a good idea of what super-galena is all about.

BILF likes this.
  32. jbakajust1

[​IMG]
    On this 80th Anniversary of the Repeal of Prohibition, I am drinking a Classic American Pils with Pizza. So good.

33. messyhair42

messyhair42 Initiate (113) Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

drinking my Oktoberfest. It's the first lager I've made (actually this batch was my first in a lot of things including forced ferment test, custom water profile and decoction mash) and I consider it to be my best achievement. It lagered for 11 weeks, bottled in April, left it in the cellar until September and I still have 30 some bottles left. Since I've moved I dont think I have the capacity to do another lager but as soon as I do I'm trying this again.

NiceFly and EdH like this.
  34. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

Smoked chili porter, at ~ 3 months old. Heat starting to drop off a bit.

NiceFly likes this.
  35. EdH

EdH Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2005 Utah

Saison, dry-hopped with Apollo, Centennial, and Columbus.

NiceFly likes this.
  36. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Disciple (306) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Brett saison

NiceFly likes this.
  37. dogglebe

dogglebe Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2013 New York

I'll soon be opening a bottle of a biere de garde I made two years ago. I've made it a traditional that I brew a biere de garde as my first batch of the year.

NiceFly likes this.
  38. jbakajust1

My 5 week old Imperial Stout on Elijah Craig and Medium Toast American Oak chips. 3 weeks in the keg, added some more oak last week and a splash of EC to it. The oak is starting to come through in the mouth w/ bitter chocolate and espresso, nose is light cocoa, coconut, and berry. Mouthfeel is full body, slick, balanced bitterness, semi-sweet finish. Looking forward to this beer aging.

NiceFly likes this.
  39. Boozecamel

Boozecamel Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 Canada (BC)

Black IPA leftovers from tonights bottling. Tasting great, and lots of aroma from the dry hopping. Fingers crossed I may have my first drinkable hoppy beer!

NiceFly and jbakajust1 like this.
  40. dnelson1025

dnelson1025 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Illinois

Drinking a blackberry porter I made a few months ago. Forgot about them until now. I used about 7 pounds of frozen blackberries and really got a ton of flavor from it. Now that it's had some time to mellow out, it's much better.

NiceFly and EdH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.