What Homebrew are you Drinking? September 2015 Edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Hanglow, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PortLargo

PortLargo Zealot (521) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Quiet possibly you are the only person in the world with a solid understanding of wild yeast, a lopsided tripod, and has ever rapp'ed out beer twerking lyrics . . .

machalel, Lukass, jbakajust1 and 3 others like this.
  2. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Iowa

Berliner Weisse which got a few weeks on tart cherries from a buddy's cherry tree. I'm enjoying how this turned out, but there is some improvement.
    [​IMG]

NiceFly, marc77, premierpro and 4 others like this.
  3. Tebuken

Tebuken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

Incredible beer color , congratulations !!!

#43 Tebuken, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    ChrisMyhre and psnydez86 like this.
  4. PortLargo

PortLargo Zealot (521) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Drinking a very nervous Belgian Witbier that's trying to get the hang of these tilted pics:

[​IMG]

Of course I broke two glasses until I found a clamp strong enough to hold this guy up . . . and this is a low ABV brew, can only guess the mess an Imperial would have made. Now where's that mop and dustpan . . .

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,036) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

^That's funny right there.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  6. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

^^Awesome! I love it @PortLargo , it is much easier if you just tilt the camera though. Literally LOLOLOL!

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  7. stealth

stealth Zealot (571) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

Repost: first pour of my hard root BEER. 6.6% abv. Came out great
    [​IMG]

Mods: Hard root beer homebrew is BEER not 'Non-beer Content: Soda'.

8. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

That's a pint glass folks ^

9. jbakajust1

Mind sharing a recipe?

10. stealth

It's kind of a ghetto, quick and easy extract brew that uses Sprecher rootbeer syrup from Northern brewer, but it came out awesome and it's cheap. Here it is:

4 gal. 30 min boil.
    OG: 1.063
    FG: 1.001
    3lbs extra light dme (1/2 @ 30, rest @ 15 min)
    2lbs Dextrose @ 10 min
    1lbs Rice Syrup Solids @ 10 min
    0.5 oz Saaz @ 30 min
    2 packets of US-05

Ferment for 2 weeks, crash, rack onto 1 gal of Sprecher root beer syrup in keg, carb.

11. stealth

I have a good pic of myself holding a normal Duchesse chalice that looks ridiculous. lol

Brew_Betty likes this.
  12. jbakajust1

@stealth thanks for clarifying that it is actually root beer flavored beer, and not a soda. Please disregard previous modding. Carry on.

13. stealth

No worries!

14. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

Galaxy & Centennial IPA. Equal portions for flavor, aroma, dryhop. I really love this hop combo. Galaxy is fruity, a bit piney and complex, while the Centennial is tamer and adds rounded orange character. Maris Otter and a touch of Caraaroma for malt. I love this beer, but then again I don't brew that many IPAs anymore. I think this beer has gotten my IPA juices flowing again.
    [​IMG]

15. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,036) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have you had Sprecher Hard Root Beer? If so, how does yours compare?

16. stealth

Much Better. This keg won't last long. The Sprecher hard root beer is weird....

VikeMan likes this.
  17. stealth

Added rhubarb to the keg of my strawberry saison last night. Dear god this is amazeballs.

[​IMG]

18. wspscott

wspscott Savant (911) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Well that picture makes it look amazing :slight_smile: Must have been a killer sunset.

Did you add rhubarb in the keg? What was the strawberry saison recipe? more details!

stealth likes this.
  19. stealth

I use a stainless steel dry hopper for kegs that I added the rhubarb in, then just dropped it in the keg where I will leave it until the keg kicks.

Here's the recipe for my saison:
    5 gal batch
    OG: 1.044 FG: 1.006
    7lbs Pilsner
    1lb caramel 20
    Mash @ 150 for 60 min, 170 for 10 min

1 oz. EKG hops @ 60 min
    2 oz. EKG @ knockout (from 170 degrees until cooled)

WY3724 Belgian Saison yeast fermented @ 80+ until steady FG attained

Cold crashed and kegged, and 5lbs of strawberries were added to the keg in the stainless dry hopper. You could do whatever fruit you want.

wspscott and GormBrewhouse like this.
  20. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Disciple (306) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

2014 ESB

JoeSpartaNJ likes this.
  21. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Two hearted clone, sessionized, aka Light-hearted. Deviated from the kit recipe by dilution. Also, this was one of my recent diacetyl problems, which I corrected by pulling the keg, warming it up, and pitching active dry yeast. Used 30/74 lager yeast because that's what I had.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  22. MarriedAtGI

MarriedAtGI Initiate (119) Feb 26, 2013 Illinois

Oktoberfest. Ein Prosit!

[​IMG]

23. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

[​IMG]

First pour of my Wet & Wild Wheat, brewed with 23 oz of my Cascades. Only still calling it "Wild" by co-pitching US05 with WLP644. The wild yeast I captured crapped out on me during the 2nd starter step. Anyway, pretty happy with the result.

Lukass, ChrisMyhre, Hanglow and 9 others like this.
  24. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,220) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

West Coast IPA. Columbus, Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe. Citrusy with a nice undercurrent of dankness.

25. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Initiate (72) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

Just tapped Robust Porter. Still young and the roast charactor has yet to shine. I'm sure it will taste great just as the keg kicks.

[​IMG]

26. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

Digging this Mosaic and Columbus IPA. Heavy on the Mosaic the Columbus does add some subtle pine/dank flavor.

[​IMG]

Solid lacing on a friend's glass.
    [​IMG]

27. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (368) Sep 19, 2013 New York

BIAB Session IPA 5 gallons
    Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, some grapefruit peel and dry hop with Cascade and Simcoe.

Had low efficiency so I double pitched US-05 and got the final gravity down to 1.0025.
    Carbed with belgian rock sugar.
    Very happy with the taste, aroma and color.
    [​IMG]

28. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]
    Zesty, sharp, acidic, yet it has body, and is invitingly soft upfront, smells kinda like a gin and tonic when your done drinking it. One of the best beers I've personally engineered. About the absolute opposite of a hoppy NE inspired beer.

Best head retention in a sour I've ever seen.

29. KeyWestGator

KeyWestGator Zealot (570) Jan 21, 2013 Florida
    Trader

The best part of this picture isn't the great looking beer, but the carboy next to the container of toys.

jbakajust1, jkn09, ChrisMyhre and 5 others like this.
  30. psnydez86

Funny I didn't even notice. I literally have at least one carboy and or barrel in every room in my house. My wife hates it. And I acknowledge that her opinion means nothing.

31. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

Ha, that's awesome. Nice catch!

jbakajust1 likes this.
  32. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,095) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'd be interested in hearing more about this beer if you don't mind sharing.

33. psnydez86

Sure thing. 4lbs pilsner, 2lbs wheat, 1lb flaked wheat. 5 ultimate flora probiotic pills in 600ml of regular starter wort for 5 days to get lacto grown and active. Lacto starter pitched first for about 12 hours then pitch a favorite saison strain or us05 or Brett if you'd like. Depending on the yeast strain the beer is done in 1 or 2 weeks. Super clean lactic acidity. It's quite sour. Similar acid level to kimmie and the yink Gose.

Then I racked the beer to keg on top of a muslin bag with the zest of 3 lemons and 3 limes, and 5 large fresh sweet basil leaves. I got the zest off the fruit with a veggie peeler device. At 24 hours it had a huge aroma of sprite so I pulled the muslin bag. The basil really doesn't come through but the beer is fantastic as is.

machalel and FeDUBBELFIST like this.
  34. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (839) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Three weeks on from the OP and I'm drinking the same beer, also did a side by side with the normal hobgoblin last week or so - very different beers really, mines a bit thinner, more carbonated, more minerally, lighter and less malty and hoppier. Should rename it Not really Hobgobliny.

35. Naugled

Naugled Savant (953) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

Found a couple of dopplebocks in the back of the cooler from 2009, I need to clean that thing out more often, both in swing top bottles. The first one did not hold up well, lost carbonation and had tons of diacetyl/butyric acid. The second one is really good, definitly past it's prime but still very good.
    [​IMG]

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  36. wspscott

Just finished a Bell's Double Cream Stout and followed with my Robust Porter from a while back, here's a pic from last winter, thankfully we don't have snow on the ground now :slight_smile:

Keg is almost done, going to be sad to say goodbye.

[​IMG]

37. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Aussie hopped IPA. Nelson. Wakatu. Motueka.

ChrisMyhre and JohnSnowNW like this.
  38. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Taking the first pulls of my Oaked Port Dubbel. I can't say it turned out exactly like I hoped it would. Some of that has to do with my choice of Port. I was hoping for rich raisin notes from the Port and ended up with black cherry. The oak made some nice smoked wood and vanilla. The Port made some black cherry upfront with a dry burgundy wine finish. The malt bill could have been slightly more robust. I've tasted thousands of beers and don't recall tasting one quite like this. It tastes good, so I'm glad I took a chance and made it.

ChrisMyhre, wspscott, Naugled and 3 others like this.
  39. wspscott

I've been drinking a keg of a fruity blond ale for the last week or so. Avangard Pale Ale malt and a little bit of honey malt, some Hallertau to bitter and also at 5 mins. I pushed the fermentation temp with US05 to about 70 hoping it would throw some of the "peach/fruit" ester that people have mentioned, mission accomplished. Comes across very fruity, almost tart and very easy to drink, glad I was aiming for 4.7% vs. 5.7% because this goes down waaaay too easy :slight_smile: Sorry, no pic, but it is not a pretty beer anyway :slight_smile:

Also have a keg of the same beer but with Dupont and Bretticent dregs. The Dupont was there but was hoping for more brett so I put it back in the basement for a while.

ChrisMyhre and breadwinner like this.
  40. wspscott

That was with the LBV port, right? Interesting that you get a black cherry flavor since I don't associate that with port at all. Did you try any of the port before you added it? If so, what flavors did you pick up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.