What Homebrew are you drinking? - September Edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by c64person, Sep 4, 2018.

1. c64person

c64person Disciple (393) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

I noticed no one had posted a September edition of the thread.

So for me, currently working on finishing up my raspberry gose. Tasty, just a little tart and quite refreshing for those still too hot of days in NC.

[​IMG]

invertalon, Prep8611, Buck89 and 4 others like this.
  2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (371) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Last night was Irish stout, smoked magik and a. Rey young Burton light.

3. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (792) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Trying out what is probably the closest I'll come to brewing an NEIPA, and I think I'll stick with it in the future

4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,730) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Ekuanot-dry-hopped pale ale.

Prep8611 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  5. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,203) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

6. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (110) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

[​IMG]

Wild Hart

This beer is dedicated to the life of Skip Hart. A life full of passion: a passion for family, a passion for music, and a passion for truly living life.

Wild Hart is a New England wild beer. It was brewed with a traditional turbid mash, extended boil, aged hops, and cooled overnight in our coolship. On that crisp autumn night in New England, the wort picked up wild yeast and bacteria. Spontaneous fermentation started and It was left undisturbed for two years. On October 13, 2017 we harvested 12 pounds of ripe raspberries from Doles Orchard in Maine. Wild Hart re fermented on those raspberries for 3 months. It was then bottled and left to naturally carbonate and mature for 6 more months.

7. Lukass

Lukass Savant (914) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Beautiful!

8. GormBrewhouse

truly awsum

i can not wait that long

Lukass and LakesideBrewing like this.
  9. GormBrewhouse

oh yeah, got blow out by the @LakesideBrewing

last of the irish stout and a chocolate stout

LakesideBrewing likes this.
  10. marknu1

marknu1 Initiate (49) May 12, 2017 California
    Trader

Drinking my first kolsch, and I'm super happy with it. I was a little unsure at first, but after about 3-4 weeks of lagering (which, of course, it needed) it's really smoothed out. Kind of hard to tell from the picture due to condensation, but it's crystal clear. I will be making more kolsch.

[​IMG]

11. Lukass

Lukass Savant (914) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Only time I can wait that long is if I have a few beers in the pipeline to take my mind off of one. Even then, it has to be stored deep in my basement so I don't tamper with it.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  12. GormBrewhouse

Yeah, my problem is all the family and pals coming over, not a true problem cause I have more fun then the rest, lol.

2 years, one time with I IRS half batch.

Prep8611 and Lukass like this.
  13. seanyfo

seanyfo Savant (943) Jan 2, 2006 United Kingdom (Scotland)

[​IMG]

100% weyermann barke Vienna lager coming along nicely

14. pweis909

Premium

English porter. Approximately the same time as it is being judged at a regional comp. This is my first taste of a bottled version of this beer. I still like it, but damn... I taste something different now. A grassiness and a lightly tannic astringency that I don't recall from previous tastings. Is this me being hypercritical, is it real? Maybe judges' comments will help.

15. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (200) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

[​IMG]

Belgian single

16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,206) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Tapped my Oktoberfest last night. Tastes pretty fucking special.

17. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (791) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

[​IMG]post images
    Festbier. 5.5% Pils, Munich, and CaraHell. Tettnang. Drinking niiiiice...

18. seanyfo

[​IMG]

100% weyermann Munich 2 lager. 10 days into lagering. Rubbish mash conversion/efficiency resulting in underattentuation and 3%abv. Can taste the Munich trying to come through but fades quickly. Never tried 100% Munich 2 before so I’ll blame a mix of low diastatic power and a possible poor step mash. Gonna try some pils malt in there next time

19. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,446) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've made some SMaSH beers with Munich II. IIRC, they were 60 minute single infusion mashes at 152F. I didn't have any issues with conversion, mash efficiency, or under-attenuation (beyond the expected slightly lower attenuation because Munich wort is not as fermentable as a pilsner wort). What was the step mash schedule/actual like?

20. seanyfo

30 mins at 62c/20 mins at 65c/30 mins at 72c/10 mins mash out at 78c

I think there was a variety of things wrong with this brewday. Not a great grain crush (broken handle on mill - used electric drill - too high an rpm). Possiby didn't thoroughly mix after dough in underlet. Should have possibly extended the 65c beta rest. Pitch rate was good at 2.5 mil/ml/plato wlp 830 at 8c so i can't blame that side.

Cheers!

21. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (133) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

Probably the best hazy IPA i have brewed. don't mind the lack of head on this. I poured it, set it out and figured - gee maybe i'll take a picture. had to find my phone and a light came back and head was mostly gone so i drank some, topped it off, drank some, topped it off, drank some, topped it off and just said i'll go with this. I will say - decent lacing and generally has a nice fluffy head that hangs around for a bit.

6.8%. 2row, flaked oats, white wheat, c15, acid malt. 5.3pH mash, 150 chloride, 52 sulfate. Mashed at 155. Yield was much lower than I wanted due to a bit too vigorous boil off i suppose, I also had a hell of a time on my closed transfer (even after 48 hours at 38-40 degrees cold crash) which lead me to losing probably 3-7 pints worth of beer as i worked with clogs. Ended up just attaching gas with lid ajar and tube through lid. Also ferm was a bit weird, think i pushed temp changes a little too much, after 4 days it was like 1.34 or so, so dropped temp form 70 to 68 for a few days then back to 70 then 72 for about 24 hours. I forced finish at 1.021. Definitely juicey, which is what i wanted - a lot of previous brews were ending 1.010-.012 and a bit dry.

Mosaic + Galaxy + Citra. Columbus bittered for 30 minutes

Lukass, Scope4Beer, Jesse14 and 3 others like this.
  22. SFACRKnight

Pro tip: don't put a tap on a keg you plan to lager.

Prep8611 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  23. Buck89

Premium Trader

91 Minute IPA. Hopped with Amarillo, Simcoe, and Warrior. Floral and piney with serious bitterness.
    [​IMG]

Lukass, Supergenious, Jesse14 and 4 others like this.
  24. pweis909

Premium

25. marknu1

marknu1 Initiate (49) May 12, 2017 California
    Trader

That's interesting. Where do you think the pine is coming from? I've used all of those hops a fair amount, and have never gotten pine from Amarillo or Simcoe. I've only used Warrior as a bittering hop, but I can't say I've gotten pine from it that early. Did you use some Warrior later in the boil? I've never used it late, so I don't know what kind of aroma/flavor it imparts.

26. GormBrewhouse

Had both of the cleanup IPAs. Very young but it's interesting the 2 oz of centenial shines thru much more than 1 oz citra and 1 oz Equinox in the dryhopping.

Then again, it is cleanup

SFACRKnight, Buck89 and skleice like this.
  27. Buck89

Premium Trader

Might be from the Warrior. Resembling the DFH recipe, I mixed the hops together and made additions every 5 minutes throughout the boil along with a WP addition. 13% Warrior throughout.

marknu1 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  28. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (412) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Tapped my Munich Helles (4.8%, 18 IBU) and it really exceeded my relatively high expectations. First beer I have brewed (that is tapped at least) utilizing Barke Pils and I *love* this Pils malt! An intensely rich crackery grain note and an amazing finish. I can't get over the flavor depth and complexity of this wonderfully simply beer. Grist was just Barke Pils with a touch of Carahell and Acidulated, hopped with a single Mittelfrueh bittering addition.

No pic yet sadly, photo shoot likely this weekend.

29. SFACRKnight

I saw there is barke munich as well. I'm interested in using the two in a festbier.

30. invertalon

Yes! Vienna as well. I picked up 5# of the Barke Munich to use in a Dunkel soon... I will be using it with some Dark Munich and a little Pils as well (I do a blend for mine as I like a lighter, Hofbrau style Dunkel). Excited to try that malt out, though.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  31. SFACRKnight

Vienna too?! Man, I may have to rebrew this marzen I have going now using those malts and some of this years German hops! Also, barke pils maibock is on deck for this spring.

GormBrewhouse and invertalon like this.
  32. invertalon

They sure do! https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/barke-line

I have not used the Vienna (or have any in my inventory), but I would love to do a Marzen or Festbier soon with all three. One thing I notice with working with the Barke Pils malt is how nice the cold/hot break is, by the time I whirlpool and put the beer into the fermenter it's brilliant as a filtered, finished beer. It's awesome!

SFACRKnight and GormBrewhouse like this.
  33. pweis909

Premium

My first thought when I read about poor efficiency was to question the crush. If you list it as a suspected reason, I'm a believer. Maybe the mix after dough-in, if you think you had dough balls. Less likely, IMO, is mash temp to blame.

34. seanyfo

I think you’re right. Thankfully got the mill handle sorted so hopefully back to normal next brew day!

Cheers!

35. pweis909

Premium

If you have an adjustable gap, give that a check too to make sure it didn't slip.

36. skleice

skleice Aspirant (244) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Gluten Free Hoppy Amber (Zoe Clone). I love this style in the Fall. Perfect mix of piney hops, caramel flavors, little chocolate, etc. Cheers!

[​IMG]

Finished a little high, so it's not as dry as I'd like. Gonna do this one again with a few alterations.

37. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (706) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Her Majesty's Sterling Nelson IPA...you guess the 3 hops :rolling_eyes:
    Really neat hop combo, imho

38. skleice

Gluten Free Milk Stout w/ cacao nibs.

[​IMG]

39. skleice

Same base stout. This one with Sumatra Mandheling. Dry beaned....BIG COFFEE!

[​IMG]

Coffee>>>Regular>>>>>>>>>>>>Cacao Nib

40. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (179) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Just cracked the first bottle of a tart wheat beer fermented with only Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus. I am very pleased with it, it is fruity and very tart. For the Brett I used Funk Weapon #2 from Bootleg Biology, and for the Lacto I used Sour Weapon L, also from Bootleg Biology. I will definitely be brewing this again, although I may try new microbe strains.

[Edited for formatting.]

#40 minderbender, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018