What if a Hurricane like Sandy Hit Your Brewery? The Very Real Danger of a Rising Tide

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (16,536) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Premo88 likes this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,373) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Living in Hurricane country I fully understand.

Premo88 likes this.
  3. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (553) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

“Oh man, NOT HOPSTERS!” - said no one

4. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (377) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

That's what I worry about during a hurricane, the breweries.

5. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (94) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Regarding Boston, most of those areas were under water 300 years ago and have been filled in. If you look at a map of Boston from the 1600s and 1700s you will see. Those areas were meant to be underwater. With rising sea levels, humans will just have to adapt and either build elevated or inland. A minor inconvenience in the grand scope of humanity. I hope the breweries read this article for their sake to prepare!

PatrickCT, kuhndog and rodbeermunch like this.
  6. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (5,670) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Society Trader

Looking forward to more doomsday scenarios. What if an 8.0 earthquake struck next to your (actually not your) brewery? What if Mt. Vesuvius erupted next to your (actually not your) brewery? What if Red Dawn occurred next to your (you know the drill) brewery? What if the Death Star was fully operational, near your brewery . . .

7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,549) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

That's funny, but on the other hand I'm not sure these are doomsday scenarios. Plenty of breweries have been hit already. I went through it in 1999 at the Manayunk Brewing Company in Philadelphia, PA after Hurricane Floyd. It was 6 feet of water inside. So NOT doomsday, but today and everyday going forward we're going to have issues, you just have to learn to deal with it or move.

bret717, meefmoff and bwarner2015 like this.
  8. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,733) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Yeah, all the CO2 emissions being poured into the atmosphere depleting our ozone layer, definitely not caused by humans. The smog in the air, the rising temperatures leading to ice caps melting and rising sea levels, dry air causing wildfires, droughts, etc definitely not caused by that pollution or CO2 given off by human activity, right? It’s all natural and would happen even if we weren’t here or did nothing, sure. Maybe in a 1000x slower time frame, perhaps.

9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

10. c64person

c64person Devotee (417) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

The monumental amounts of evidence (actual evidence) to the contrary would say you are wrong. Science unfortunately doesn't care about your feelings or opinions on the matter, only facts.

11. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (156) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Don't forget Hurricane sandy wiped out the Alchemist way up in the mountains. I hope Tidewater rebounds because Wilmington has a bunch of nice Brewery's and i'll be there soon.

jrnyc likes this.
  12. Zach423

Zach423 Initiate (145) Dec 9, 2018 Massachusetts

I suppose its somewhat worrysome if its true they can't get flooding insurance easily or affordably, but there's soooo many other more important things to think about during a hurricane...

rodbeermunch likes this.
  13. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Q: What if a Hurricane like Sandy Hit Your Brewery?

A: I'd drink beer from another brewery.

PatrickCT likes this.
  14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,373) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'd run.

15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,003) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

But finish your beer first! And be sure to put the empty glass and maybe a salt shaker on top of your $1 tip, so it doesn't get blown away.

16. ktr5010

ktr5010 Initiate (188) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Seeing as I live in Chicago, there would be far greater consequences for the rest of the country if Chicago was hit with a Sandy level hurricane. In all seriousness though, it will be interesting to see how coastal cities (and breweries) adapt to rising temperatures and sea levels.

17. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Zealot (573) May 5, 2015 Illinois

I won't be around in 100 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if beer's being made with recycled urine and cat hairballs.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  18. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Defender (672) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

I can live with a flooded brewery,not a flooded nuclear power plant like Fukushima-

19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,058) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Exactly. In hurricane prone areas everyone is at the mercy of these nearly creature-like storms. My main concern is for those not able to leave. Breweries are way down the list for me. These folks chose to open their business in zones of potential disaster.

PatrickCT and Squire like this.
  20. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,999) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Actually I'm pretty sure that was Hurricane Irene in 2011 - I moved to Hoboken, NJ right around that time and it effected things like utility/telephone/internet setup appointments because all of the workers were dispatched North to help deal with the storm.

AirBob and 2Xmd like this.
  21. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

22. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,999) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

drtth likes this.
  23. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (440) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Weird rticle for BA. Like breweries are any more affected by natural disasters than....any other business? As others have pointed out - I’m more concerned w/those providing products and services to me for things like water, heat, food, electricity etc than I am for my local brewery - and their very optional luxury products. Just weird.

Loops likes this.
  24. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,254) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

While this is a very legitimate issue (as those on Long Island know since Hurricane Sandy severely damaged Barrier Brewery to the point that other local breweries raised money for them), the bigger issue is what happens to the community that patronizes the brewery. Many breweries are along the water (location is everything). But if you build it inland and your customers are dealing with rebuilding their infrastructure including their home, that is also devastating.

As Sierra Nevada has demonstrated, your local brewery goes hand in hand with the community.

surfcaster likes this.
  25. Keene

Keene Defender (664) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

Thanks for reading and sharing your opinion. The point of this article was simply to look at sea level rise and climate impacts on coastal areas through the lens of brewing. It's an approach we've taken with a wide variety of topics and issues in the past. At no point do we argue that beer is the most important thing to worry about in a hurricane. Anyone in a disaster zone would obviously be more worried about restoring essential services and utilities than access to a local brewery.

jrnyc, AirBob, surfcaster and 3 others like this.
  26. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,251) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It’s a website about beer

jrnyc, Loops, Jaycase and 3 others like this.
  27. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (566) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

1718 Brewing on Ocracoke Island NC opened in late 2018 on perhaps one of the most exposed portions of the NC Outer Banks having already endured several storms including a decent hit in fall of 2017 right when they opened. Their spirit in their short tenure mirrors the tenacity of the island and the very private but wonderful 800 or so full time residents that call it home. Literally a few feet above sea level (plus the pilings) it cannot be much more ground zero.

1718 brews solid beer and has really good bar food.

The OBX May be the proverbial canary in the coal mine for the fate of rising tides. If you have never been, a treasure like few others.....

.... and now with a brewery.

28. rgordon

Martha and I spent our honeymoon at The Island Inn. We could walk down the little spiral wooden staircase to the bar and restaurant and spirit our way back upstairs happy as elves. We used to go over to Portsmouth Island, now unpopulated to visit the old settlement and seafaring port. This is near where Captain Maynard of The Royal Navy dealt justice to the legendary Blackbeard. And Blackbeard;s ship, Queen Anne's Revenge has been found and is being carefully salvaged.

surfcaster likes this.
  29. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (566) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

The Island Inn was the first place I stayed with parents and bros on a trip in the mid 70s. Now in a bit of disrepair waiting for that special (rich) person to bring it back.

I have not missed a fall fishing trip in 16 years and the island still has the charm of 40 years ago!

Add a brewery, the greatest beaches and wonderful local =paradise.

30. rgordon

That's a shame about The Island Inn. The place is special to us. I hope that it can be properly renovated.
    The British Naval Graveyard on Ocracoke Island with its perfectly tended ground is very cool. The Union Jack still stands sentinel and long pre-dates the USA.
    Maintaining a brewery out there would be tough in the winter.

31. DrinksAlone

DrinksAlone Initiate (72) Jan 18, 2017 Florida
    Trader

The most important thing is to have adequate insurance coverage. Yes, a lot of carriers may not offer flood coverage but there is coverage available, at a much higher premium, through other carriers, like Llyod'ss of London.

Always make sure to speak with someone with in depth knowledge of coverage available. Most times, that person will NOT be your broker. You also need to make sure to revisit your insured values regularly to make sure you are carrying enough coverage. I have worked thousands of insurance losses over the years and more times than not, most insured's do not even know they coverage they pay for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.