What if you invested your beer $ instead of buying beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mychalg9, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (820) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

This is a little experiment I keep meaning to try but never actually do it. The point is to take the money you would spend on beer each day/week/month and invest it (I have a financial advisor to help me with this stuff). Just curious if I'd get as hooked on investing as I am on beer. Anyone try anything similar?

HighWine likes this.
  2. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

I hate you for starting this.

3. BradStokley

BradStokley Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland

I'd be very sad at night

PSU_Mike, JMS1512, SteveB24 and 4 others like this.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

you would be wealthy?

beerme411, JesusB, SteveB3014 and 6 others like this.
  5. beeragent

beeragent Meyvn (1,057) Aug 16, 2005 Texas

I would be upset for a moment. Then I would think, who knows how long we have on this earth, so why not spend that money and enjoy the time now (with a great beer)!!!

6. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Aspirant (241) Apr 15, 2013 California

You might wind up with no beer and no money. That would be horrible.

gopens44, AirBob, riTLce and 27 others like this.
  7. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

But if you spend it all on beer, and then drink the beer, you'll still end up with no beer and no money. At least with investing, there's a chance you might become stupidly wealthy. Think of all the beer you can buy then!

8. cookiequiz

Uhh, but when you spent the money on beer, you drank the beer. Is this some kind of yoda shit?

9. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,656) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

^^ -er?!? But not necessarily "wealthy" per se.

10. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (4,627) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Probably an extra 2-3 thousand a year but since I am stupid I would probably loose all my money in investments so I am glad for the beer I had.

11. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

OP, wrong site, man. This is BEERadvocate, not wealthadvocate.

12. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,656) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

And you call yourself a "Beer Advocate"...Blasphemy.

gibgink, Jacobier10 and mychalg9 like this.
  13. yemenmocha

Depends on your beer budget.

A 21 yr old asking this question who spends $200/month on beer, at 7% long term return in the stock market... comes to around $709,000 at age 65. $300 a month is over $1M.

I guess depends on your definition of wealthy, too. I suppose I don't consider either of the above "wealthy".

I'd rather have the life of beer.

BigRedDog, frazbri, Tilley4 and 2 others like this.
  14. riverlen

riverlen Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

Beer is not an investment, it's a consumable like bread, veggies, etc. It's in fact a food. So it's not an either drink beer or invest. Having said that, everyone should have a savings/investment program, even if it's just a token amount to get started. Over time tokens do add up.

richobrien likes this.
  15. nickfl

nickfl Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2006 Florida

401k don't get you drunk.

Apples and oranges... what if instead of commuting to work every day you spent your time building match stick replicas of the Eiffel tower? You'd have a bunch of something completely different and impossible to compare.

16. 01001111

01001111 Initiate (0) May 12, 2008 California

If I invested my beer money and spent my investment money on beer then I'd have a lot more beer.

In other words, I'm happy investing as much as I invest and fine with how much I spend on beer.

LagersAndAles likes this.
  17. yemenmocha

They can when you're 65. I hope to be enjoying the good stuff then, unlike many retirees here in AZ that buy those plastic cartons of generic vodka.

Rekrule, frazbri, Genuine and 5 others like this.
  18. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

No, it's simple economics.

You have $1,000. You spend it on beer, then consume all the beer.
    -End result: you've consumed (past tense) a finite quantity of beer, and have no money for more beer.

You have $1,000. You invest it. You do so wisely and end up with boatloads of money.
    -End result: you can now purchase more beer than you know what to do with, and drink happily ever after while still having even more money for things like a nice cellar, home bar, buying beer for your friends, and that hot tub you've had your eye on.

19. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Initiate (145) Oct 27, 2012 Ohio

I'd have a lot more money. That's all I care to think about this topic. But I am happy with my decisions.

20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I prefer to take all the money I would have spent on investing, and buy beer. Can't recommend it for everyone, but it's always worked for me.

21. cookiequiz

You show me someone who lives on the interest from his $1,000 investment, and I've got a nice cellar/home bar/friends/hot tub to sell you. I'll throw a rare beer in for free. :wink:

richobrien likes this.
  22. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (820) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

For the record, this is my basement "overflow" and I have probably 100 beers in my garage fridge, which is what got me thinking about the subject to begin with. I dont really currently "need" more beer, yet I keep buying it.

Basement: http://imgur.com/5PLgoww

23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,680) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Or die leave your family beer & money to fight over. I'm selfless, I will save them that trouble...

Dupage25 likes this.
  24. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,164) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

You have to have some balance. If you are putting nothing away and drinking a lot of beer you are making a mistake. If you are putting away a lot of money and not drinking any beer you are making a similar mistake.

25. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,680) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

As stated everyone should be shooting for a retirement free of worries $-wise, but I would be in the state penn right now probably waiting on "Old Sparky", nope a needle if went that route....

I would hate to die rich but unhappy & unfulfilled, I'll be happy with hamburgers & craft beer, now vice Lobster & Craft beer then...

26. Smileitsfreetobehappy

Smileitsfreetobehappy Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Alaska

You only live once brother make every day a happy one if possible GIVE ME BEER NOT BONDS BROTHER! :stuck_out_tongue:

Donkster46 likes this.
  27. dirtyhalos

dirtyhalos Initiate (108) Apr 10, 2014 California
    Trader

28. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

If you would have taken that money and bought some shares of Tesla, you'd probably be happy. If you would have taken that money and bought into precious metals you'd probably be happy. If you had taken that money and invested in anything else, you'd probably wish you just spent it on beer.

richobrien and mychalg9 like this.
  29. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Aside from paying off bills/school loans I think I would use the money towards finding a property in the middle of nowhere for a nice getaway location for me and my fiancee. I little piece of land where we can shut ourselves off from the world and just relax.

are_doubleyou likes this.
  30. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,814) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Society

One of two things would happen;
    1) I would have more money at the end of the day.
    2) My advisor would use it to blow on junk bonds in Greece, and that saved money would be gone.

31. KevinB

KevinB Initiate (0) May 27, 2006 New York

I'd probably spend it on hookers and blow

32. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

I'd be thirsty.

barflybastard and larryarms847 like this.
  33. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Deactivated

The money I spend on beer is my entertainment funds. I invest the money I have allocated for investing in investments. Perhaps if you don't have your retirement properly funded and are spending that money on fun you might want to drink extra beer so you don't out live the money you never saved.

34. Donkster46

Donkster46 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Washington

Beer is a better investment!

302BeerGuy and Brolo75 like this.
  35. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

I thought about this yesterday after yet another $100 day at my favorite bottle shop. I don't fish, hunt, golf, or play video games. Bills paid, savings strong, retirement account, church offering, and I wear scrubs to work not suits. So beer it is!

36. Jugs_McGhee

Jugs_McGhee Poo-Bah (9,799) Aug 15, 2010 Louisiana
    Society Trader

Beer is an investment in one's happiness.

37. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

My stock picks perform better when chosen after several beers as compared to those stock picks chosen after no beers. Fact.

38. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Maybe a middle ground. Homebrew to have great beer and save some money versus buying commercial beer. Invest the difference.

39. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,164) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

With the equipment I have bought and what I want I should start saving money in about 2120. Of course your mileage may vary. I do not drink that much beer and I love to brew so most is given away. My kids on the other hand will retire comfortably.

40. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,274) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, if I invested wisely, I'd have more money to spend on more beer. Though inflation may take a bite out of the purchase. I'm thinking short term investments of course.

Like about a week :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.