What Irish Whiskey Are You Drinking Now?

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by Premo88, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,782) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Irish whiskey is famous for being triple distilled in pot stills. The result seems to be an incredibly oily mouthfeel and light, almost fruity flavors that I'm enjoying more and more as I explore the genre. Even entry-level stuff like Jameson and Bushmills seem awfully tasty and enjoyable to me, and Bushmills in particular has become favorite whistle wetter to start a session.

I'm enjoying some of my Irish whiskeys tonight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Enjoying an Irish? Let us see!

Good luck to ya!

dcotom, eire, Glider and 5 others like this.
  2. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (258) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Green Spot, too, which unfortunately I found a bit sweeter than I would have preferred

eire and Premo88 like this.
  3. Premo88

Society Trader

Green Spot is a candidate for my favorite whiskey across all genres because of that sweetness. I can see why it's too much for some. If I taste Bushmills and Green Spot side-by-side, the Green Spot comes off like a green apple/watermelon Jolly Rancher it's so sweet.

Have you tried any of the other "Spots"? There's a Red and Yellow, I think. I've only tried Green Spot, but I like it so much that I think I'll try them all at some point.

eire and thesherrybomber like this.
  4. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Yeah, I'm not sure if my reaction would have been different had I tried it earlier in my journey. I quite enjoyed the Jameson Black Barrel, Bushmills 10, and Connemara.

It was my first and only of the Spots, and I've read from some reviews that the Yellow comes off as even sweeter! Any suggestions?

Premo88 likes this.
  5. Premo88

Society Trader

Wow, sweeter than the Green? My suggestion for you would be stay away and try the Red instead?

I'm a complete newbie to Irish whiskey, so I don't know enough to recommend anything from experience. Some friends swear by Redbreast ... the 12, the 12 cask strength and the 15 in particular. I've also heard Black Bush from Bushmills is good but that it used to be better (a common theme among whiskey fans concerning most whiskeys it seems).

I'll put Jameson Black Barrel, Bushmills 10 and Connemara on my list. Thanks for the info!

guinness77 and thesherrybomber like this.
  6. Minnesota_beer_guy

Minnesota_beer_guy Aspirant (293) Feb 15, 2014 Minnesota

Thanks for starting this thread! If you like the sweet stuff I highly recommend Redbreast Lustau. That stuff is super sweet. I think it’s an awesome easy drinker.

guinness77 and Premo88 like this.
  7. Minnesota_beer_guy

Minnesota_beer_guy Aspirant (293) Feb 15, 2014 Minnesota

[​IMG]
    Went to Dublin last week and brought this home. Irish single malt aged in sherry casks. Nowhere near as sweet as Redbreast Lustau but the sherry flavors are present. Similar to Glendronach 12 or a Glenfarclas scotch.

dcotom, Bitterbill, Glider and 4 others like this.
  8. BeRightBock

BeRightBock Devotee (449) Apr 27, 2007 New York
    Society Trader

9. Premo88

Society Trader

You bet. And thanks for the tip!

Love seeing some action in here. Irish is my favorite post golf dram:
    [​IMG]
    Good luck to ya!

10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Yellow Spot is sweeter. It's older for one thing (12 years) and the additional time in Sherry barrels accounts for the sweetness. That and a portion of the blend is aged in Spanish Malaga wine barrels which increases the sweetness as well.

11. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,274) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

This is a good one! Finishes on a bit of a spicy note.

[​IMG]

GOBLIN, dcotom, BeRightBock and 4 others like this.
  12. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,115) Jan 6, 2014 New York

No pic. But...15 year Redbreast. The best!

Fuck. How did this site get even better?

13. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,115) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Everything you’ve heard is true.

No mentions of Tullamore Dew yet. Great for the price. I agree with your friends...I haven’t had Black Bush in awhile, and I’m generally not a Bushmills fan, but Black Bush is great.

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  14. BeRightBock

BeRightBock Devotee (449) Apr 27, 2007 New York
    Society Trader

The Double Barrel version is also lovely. Having trouble finding it in NY state.

Premo88 and cryptichead like this.
  15. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Defender (641) Nov 18, 2013 Texas

Black Bush. Still my favorite.[​IMG]

dcotom, guinness77, jkblr and 2 others like this.
  16. Premo88

Society Trader

17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,565) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

This is really good.

GOBLIN, dcotom, guinness77 and 4 others like this.
  18. Premo88

Society Trader

Three-day weekend neckpour:
    [​IMG]
    Damn is this tasty ... good luck to ya!

GOBLIN, dcotom, guinness77 and 4 others like this.
  19. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (775) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

No pics. Ending the day after a few beers and crabcakes with Jameson Black Label.

Glider and Premo88 like this.
  20. Premo88

Society Trader

I almost bought a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel today but thought I should work through a full bottle of regular ol' Jameson before graduating to the better stuff. In fact, because today is my Memorial Day holiday, I'm having an impromptu Irish whiskey seminar:
    [​IMG]
    Bushmills-Jameson-Green Spot-Redbreast 12 is the order if you're scoring at home. And of course I expect to do a bit of going back-and-forth for comparisons. And likely a few repours of that Redbreast 12. :wink::yum:

Cheers!

GOBLIN, dcotom, guinness77 and 5 others like this.
  21. Doma

Doma Initiate (29) May 19, 2019 California

Paddy. The workhorse, simple, unassuming, good. Always surprised by it's oily body, nice bonus apparently not exclusive to more expensive whiskeys.

Premo88 likes this.
  22. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Initiate (189) Apr 5, 2008 New York

Huge fan of Redbreast 12 and 15 year.

Relatively local retailer displaying a bottle of 21 year, asking $300. Is this ridiculous? The money is an issue as a matter of principle only. Would love to know if anyone has run into a significantly different price at any US retailers, keeping in mind the wild disparity in prices that we run into with whiskeys.

23. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Way above my pay grade, but both Total Wine and Bevmo sell for under $250 here. Can't say what's "normal" elsewhere in the US. I'd say shop around

Premo88 and guinness77 like this.
  24. NextBestThing

I figured it would be something like this. I can find 12 year old for $60 and 15 year old for $98. These are the lowest prices available to me. I see 12 year for up to $75 and 15 year for up to $115, it's crazy.

Bourbon prices vary even more in my local area, I see Eagle Rare for $30 in one shop and $60 in the next. There's a store nearby that sells 750s of Buffalo Trace for $75. Nuts.

#24 NextBestThing, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Premo88 likes this.
  25. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

Whiskey Exchange has it for $175ish, but I'm not sure about after things like shipping and handling, exchange rates...

With bourbon, definitely hype. There's been a boom, as I'm sure you're aware, with prices shooting up and collectors snatching up bottles that would have been collecting dust a couple of years ago!

I think past a certain price, its more about bragging rights than anything else.

Premo88 likes this.
  26. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,127) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good evening, fellow Irish aficionados! I picked up this Tullamore Dew on markdown at the grocery store yesterday. I'd never tried it before. My loss, as it turns out. There's nothing about this that I don't like. It could become a new favorite.

[​IMG]

Another Irish drinking song:

Sláinte!

Glider, Bitterbill, GOBLIN and 4 others like this.
  27. NextBestThing

I usually keep a bottle like Tullamore D.E.W. lying around so I can conserve more valuable bottles for mini-celebrations or for company. At the moment I'm actually ripping on a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel as a more or less everyday pour.

I generally go through about a 750 of my everyday pour in 6 to 8 weeks.

28. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (775) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Love Black Barrel!

29. NextBestThing

I think it's the char. Really one of the things I particularly enjoy about Irish whiskey is that despite being low abv, especially in the case of the lower-priced, mass-produced bottles, there are still very few flavors which I consider to be overplays. It's a perfect interplay between malted and unmalted barley grain that happens to land squarely in my sweet spot.

Drinking Redbreast 15 year old on a drizzly day hanging out on the covered front porch with the dog watching the world go by. I actually prefer the 12 year old but the bottle is running a little low and I don't want to make it all go away today.

Slainte mhaith.

Prince_Casual, lastmango and Glider like this.
  30. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (313) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I think Black Barrel is very poorly named, to me it has quite a bit of sherry influence, for such a inexpensive (relatively speaking) bottle, if you're thinking Johnnie (double) black, it's nothing like that at all. I think the column still grain whiskey is a great foil to the single pot still notes- BB is a worthy competitor to RB12, it's more creamy somehow. The 15 is on a higher level though, as is the cask strength 12.

I wish Midleton would put out more high proof/ cask strength offerings, and maybe even something with NCA, it's just unnecessary.