What is the best ‘bang for the buck’ beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackHorzempa, Oct 23, 2022.

1. dcotom

dcotom Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

The Waldos'.

beergoot and alucard6679 like this.
  2. CentralPABeerDude

CentralPABeerDude Sep 1, 2022 Pennsylvania

Lord Chesterfield is def in this category. So are some of the Genesee specialties. Thinking of Spring Bock, Cran Orange Kellerbier, and Oktoberfest.

BruChef, crazyspicychef and beergoot like this.
  3. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

This summer SN Pale Ale 12pk was $13.49 when on special. Hamm's 30 pk, the dirty 30, is $13.99 regularly priced. I like those deals.

4. Mgh2001

Mgh2001 Dec 3, 2021
    Trader

Jacks Abby House Lager is 15-17$ for a 15 pack, that’s a tough one to beat.

High life at 22$ a 30 pack is reasonably priced and tasty for a macro

This doesn’t necessarily fit the category, but Green or Julius at 15.20 per 4 pack / 16oz cans is hard to beat

Beer_Economicus, BruChef, DCH and 4 others like this.
  5. cid71

cid71 Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Fiddlehead ipa 12 pack for $20 is top notch. IPAs like Goose Island is cheaper but I would spend more for Fiddlehead

6. dele

dele Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

I saw a new mixed 12 pack from Allagash in my local store. $20 for a mix of White, River Trip, Swiftly IPA, and North Sky. That's a darn good deal.

Fiddlehead IPA 12 pack at $19 is another great bargain.

Once it arrives, however, a 12 pack of Celebration for $17-18 will beat them both.

7. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Out this way there aren't that many anymore. All of the local places have had to increase prices, so former gems like Eddyline's 16oz 6-packs are pricier than they used to be. Our imports tend to be on the dusty side, so it's tough to recommend many of them. Warsteiner is an exception, though. Hmmmm. It's probably Sierra Nevada Pale Ale more than likely. Then again, I usually just spend the other buck or two and get Dale's or Modus.

8. Urk1127

Urk1127 Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Pennsylvania Style Lager is $11 and change for a 24 pack but I wouldn't recommend it so that doesn't count hahaha

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  9. b9d9

b9d9 Nov 9, 2020 Germany
    Society Trader

Germans are not allowed to play this game :wink:

Gajo74, Beer_Economicus, DCH and 4 others like this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Why not?

From my readings German beer consumers are quite the cost conscious lot of people. I now have both Aldi and Lidl markets in my hometown. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

b9d9 and Resistance88 like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

This is the first time I have heard of this beer. Have you ever had it? Where is it brewed?

Perhaps on a related note, have you ever had Lionshead beer?

Cheers!

Urk1127 and b9d9 like this.
  12. GlenFarclas

GlenFarclas Oct 1, 2021 Connecticut
    Trader

Echoing this but want to add that Friday afternoon I stumbled across Second Fiddle 12 packs at the same price point. Baffling. I grabbed a 12 pack of course but man is that a deal. Think 4x16oz go for $15-17...

13. Mgh2001

Mgh2001 Dec 3, 2021
    Trader

I’m going to have to revisit fiddlehead ipa. Does it lean towards west coast, or New England style?

adrock314 and Resistance88 like this.
  14. b9d9

b9d9 Nov 9, 2020 Germany
    Society Trader

The list would exceed any limit :grinning: Most of the best German beers won't take more than $1-2 per 0.5L from you. Considering inflation, energy costs, wages etc I don't think there's any expensive beer in Germany

15. LuckFreeZone

LuckFreeZone Oct 24, 2016 New York

I am an imperial stout drinker and so my baseline price might be a little skewed. In my mind, I start with the price of a Oskar Blue's Ten FIDY 4 pack (a reliably excellent beverage, at $15-$17 a 4-pack) and (it seems to me) that each year one (or more) of the seasonal imperial stouts stands out as being at least comparable. This year, of the four I have so far found (Bell's Expedition, Great Lakes Blackout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate and Sierra Nevada Narwhal) the Bell's Expedition stood out to me. This varies year-to-year . . . and sometimes I don't have every choice available to me, but this year I stocked up one the Expedition Stout.

16. Brook82

Brook82 Oct 21, 2018 Ohio

AAL 30 pks are best buy; Hamm's for $18.99, Stroh's at $20.99.

alucard6679 and miwestcoaster like this.
  17. Giantspace

Giantspace Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Hamms 30 pack $13-14, mostly a warm weather beer for me.

High Life 24 pack $15-18, I can get 30 pack cans for less but enjoy the bottles more.

Been buying the Oskar Blue 15 packs for $13.49 recently. Also the non mix and just grabbed the Dales, Lager, Double Dales mix.

I try to only buy sale beer but do buy others. Been getting 19.2 Fiddle Head for $2.99. 12x16 Schlafly coffee stout $21, the place I go to has big sales and they bring in pallets, mostly quite fresh, some time not. I grabbed a Torpedo case for $31.99(A huge deal in PA) last week.

I can start taking photos and posting them here. Seasonal beer also gets marked down and sold as 4/6 packs so that’s also a nice way to try new things at the end of a season.

Enjoy

18. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Jan 8, 2015 California

Joe Senigaglia's (@jow_42) YT channel recently encouraged me to try out a handful of AALs. For me Hamm's is clearly the best of the lot and currently priced at $15.99 a case which is cheap around these parts.

19. JackHorzempa

Society

I take it you never visited the Stone Brewery in Berlin!?! :wink:

Prost!

alucard6679, deanzaZZR and b9d9 like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Society

Please do!

And for my benefit (and some others) where you purchased those economical beers.

Cheers!

bmugan likes this.
  21. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Yup. I see their House Lager for $10/4-pack in some locations. Hard to beat that price for a beer that good.

seakayak and jgido759 like this.
  22. BMBCLT

BMBCLT May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Oh yeah?

Paging @Snowcrash000

I'm talking about German-made beers.

b9d9 likes this.
  23. cid71

cid71 Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Oskar blues has a 15 pack called the works, Dales, Double dales and the lager, havent seen it around here but if price point is good that seems like a winner

24. Resistance88

Resistance88 Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Lagunitas Willetized and North Coast Old Rasputin on our coast.

25. dele

dele Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Fiddlehead IPA is very hazy, with a soft mouthfeel, so it leans New England in that sense, but it's a lot less sweet than many other examples of the style. At least when it's fresh, it's quite bitter, with a dank grapefruit flavor dominating.

adrock314 likes this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

How well does Fiddlehead hold up with age? Is it still 'good' at 2-3 months post the canning date?

Cheers!

27. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I still have just under a case of the High West-ified. It was such a good deal that I kept buying more and more back in 2016 (I think it was 2016 at least). Even 6 years in, I still find it quite tasty.

LuckFreeZone, JBogan and JackHorzempa like this.
  28. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Sure, all of the traditional beer is rather cheap and there is some great stuff among that, good luck actually finding any of it at your local supermarket though.

When it comes to craft beer, it's a different story, really. I'd say that craft is on average even more expensive in Germany than it is in the USA, mainly because we lack (m)any cheap and widely available options at the supermarket.

By and large, if you want craft beer in Germany, you have to go to a dedicated craft beer shop and pay 6-8€ for a can of (NE)IPA or Imperial Stout. If you're lucky and have a Getränkemarkt with a dedicated craft beer section nearby, you might get it a little cheaper.

To answer the question though, the Maisel & Friends sixpacks are by far the best bang-for-your-buck options in my opinion, which is probably also due to the fact that they're pretty much the only craft option that actually comes in sixpacks.

29. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

It fairs ok, but obviously better fresh.

It's actually one of the few IPA's I can get relatively fresh. I bought it on Saturday with a 10/4/22 canning date. My area gets a new shipment every few weeks.

adrock314 and JackHorzempa like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

Society

That is indeed a fresh canning date! Did you buy a 12-pack?

I have yet to see 12-packs of Fiddlehead IPA at any of my local beer retailers. A case in point is my local Wegmans supermarket who only stock the four-pack/16 ounce cans at $13.99 (too pricey for me regardless of dating).

Cheers!

31. LuckFreeZone

LuckFreeZone Oct 24, 2016 New York

Old Rasputin always disappoints me. Lagunitas imperial stout used to be available here and I always found that a decent choice. Only had the Willetized a time or two and can't remember my opinion on that.

BMBCLT likes this.
  32. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

Yes I did.

The price point is the same here.

Even crazier is that 12-packs of Second Fiddle, if you find them, are the same price.

GlenFarclas and JackHorzempa like this.
  33. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

König is my personal "best bang for buck" beer. I love it and my regular store carries it for the unreal price of $4.50 a 4 pack (sorry @keithmurray ). For my tastes, I'd go further than stating it's my "favorite affordable German Pilsner," I'd say it's my favorite available pilsner in my market. There was a local lager 4 pack I wanted the other day, but it was $18... and I decided to resist buying it. When such beers are typically less satisfying to me than König w/o considering price (even with the locals being much fresher), they become ridiculous once considering price (although I'm not immune to moments of ridiculousness and sometimes buy local). $8.50 for Veltins is really high. I've seen it for as low as $5 (or maybe even $4.50), and when I've seen it for more, it's been around $6 in my area.
    @TongoRad

keithmurray, TongoRad and b9d9 like this.
  34. Urk1127

Urk1127 Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I bought a 24 pack for $11 at bensalem beer and soda. It reminds me of rolling rock but it was sweeter. Zero head retention even with me basically dumping the can upside down. Something strange about it and I'd call it somewhere between creamed corn and apple sauce. Brewed by copper mountain beverage in Wisconsin. Everywhere in bucks County from what I see.

[​IMG]

I've had Lionshead. From memory I'm unsure how to compare it to this. It's an $11 case is what it is. Ice cold there's no problems kind of beer.

Mighty_Thor and JackHorzempa like this.
  35. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Agree. Lagunitas Willettized is $12.99 at my local store and is nearly a perfect every day BA stout.

LuckFreeZone likes this.
  36. Hockeyguy

Hockeyguy Jul 9, 2021 Texas

I keep Yellow Rose here at my store (Market Street, DFW area). Usually move through 4+ cases a week, so it stays pretty darn fresh. And, seems to move better now that they've moved from the 4 pack of 16 oz bottles to a 6 pack of 12 oz cans. Price stayed the same, and you get more beer. And I can't seem to get Live Oak in my system to bring it in, more's the pity.

37. Hockeyguy

Hockeyguy Jul 9, 2021 Texas

You still need to get over to Fredericksburg to the Allstadt guys when you're down this way. Solid styles, good prices.

38. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It's contract-brewed by City Brewing Co. in Lacrosse, WI and also at City's Latrobe brewery.
    [​IMG]

Don't know who owns "Copper Mountain Beverage" but they also have City breweries make Milwaukee Special Reserve and William Penn branded beers for them, as well Cook's -an old, previously defunct brand which orginated in Indiana. Their Horny Goat is a Stevens Point contract IIRC.

Mighty_Thor likes this.
  39. DokiDokiLitFam

DokiDokiLitFam Jun 3, 2019 New Jersey

Its hard to beat Merry Monks by Weyerbacher or 90 Minute by DogFishHead. Both 9% ABV 6 packs and typically around the 12-15 dollar price range.

crazyspicychef likes this.
  40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

I haven't seen Chetty here in Ohio in a lil bit, but I always enjoyed it and especially their Pennsylvania Porter this time of year. Hope they didn't pull them from the state or perhaps I'm missing the distro.