What is the best ‘bang for the buck’ beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackHorzempa, Oct 23, 2022.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (964) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

tacosandbeer and SFACRKnight like this.
  2. shkin

shkin (0) Feb 6, 2011 New York

Besides oddities like Costco selling relatively fresh Stone IPA 24 12oz cans for $12 or Wegmans taking 50% off a bunch of beers including already affordable Jack's Abby beers, my budget go-to beers are German lagers. My absolute favorite was Radeberger Zwickel, but I've only seen it once this year and it was at Willey's in Greensboro VT of all places. Regular Radeberger is not bad either, but lately, I was enjoying Wolters Black. It's a nice unassuming Schwarzbier regardless of the price, but $5/4x.5l cans are hard to beat.

ChicagoJ and seakayak like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop (163) May 18, 2013 Wisconsin

I'll echo previous comments about the $10.99 sixers of Lagunitas High West or Waldos.

ChicagoJ and ZebulonXZogg like this.
  4. jageraholic

jageraholic (430) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm a suckered for $19 12 packs of Fiddlehead IPA. I concur with the jacks abby praise too although, finding them fresh is sometimes a challenge but I copper legend with the best of em.

5. DCH

DCH (508) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Great YouTube channel, definitely a reliable source IMO

6. DCH

DCH (508) Jun 12, 2013 New York

For ales, it’s definitely SNPA or torpedo.

For lagers, it’s Yuengling lager, Krombacher pils, or MHL 30 packs (for mass consumption).

scootercrabb likes this.
  7. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 (280) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Never had it because they didnt sell it near me but I believe the Schwartzbier was a "winter seasonal" while it lasted and when it went away they didnt replace it with another winter seasonal. They added the Cran Orange Kellerbier after the Schwartzbier went away but that comes out too early to be a winter seasonal.

BruChef likes this.
  8. guinness77

guinness77 (948) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

@TongoRad knocked it out the park. Zywiec Porter is by far the best answer. Cheap as hell, pretty widely available, and a great example of the style. I luckily have a shop near me that always has it and always fresh too.

TongoRad likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Society

Perhaps if you add "widely available in the NYC area" that would be an accurate statement.

I no longer can find this beer at my local beer retailers.

Cheers!

miwestcoaster likes this.
  10. woemad

woemad (1,573) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

That's a helluva deal.

11. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 (280) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

What kind of shelf space does a beer like that get ? Im not expecting to see it in the cooler or in prime shelf space. Seems like a beer that would get relegated to the bottom shelves with all the imports where its harder to spot and find and collects dust.

12. imtroy703

imtroy703 (180) Nov 13, 2009 Virginia
    Society Trader

And almost everywhere else in the USA

13. guinness77

Society

Hmm, it’s pretty easy to find around me and I’m lucky to have that store near me. I assumed it was probably available in most distros around the country.
    The store near me has it both cold and on the shelf. It’s a store that caters to a non-craft crowd and has a decent amount of cheap imports so I assume it’s fairly popular there.

14. NorsemanOne

NorsemanOne (337) Sep 17, 2021 Utah
    Society Trader

Shameless plug for Fosters Lager here. $2 for a 25oz, and its my favorite macro.

scootercrabb likes this.
  15. guinness77

Society

I don’t know about “bang for your buck” and I know @zid mentioned Koenig, but Veltins, Bitburger, DAB, Krombacher, Radeberger, Kostritzer, etc are all bargains and range from decent enough to great (imo of course).

16. JackHorzempa

Society

Are you regularly able to find those beers in fresh condition?

The majority of German brewed beers at my local Retail Beer Distributor are > 6 months old.

Cheers!

P.S. I purchase most of my packaged German beers as Oktoberfest beers since as seasonals I can find them less than 6 months old.

guinness77 likes this.
  17. TongoRad

TongoRad (1,191) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Konig and Radeberger edge out the rest, imo, but if you ever see Kasztelan unfiltered give it a shot; I'm really fond of that one as well.

shkin, keithmurray and guinness77 like this.
  18. TongoRad

TongoRad (1,191) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I guess it depends on the store, but my local keeps it refrigerated in two sections. The sixers are with other imports, but the 500 ml bottles are with the other single large format cans and bottles; and those are the ones that have developed their own mystique at $1.99 each.

Sitting right next to a $3.99 Guinness...which one would you buy? :wink::sunglasses:

19. guinness77

Society

For the most part, I see them between 3 and 6 months. When you’re spending $6 to $8 for a 4-pack of 16.9oz cans, it’s really hard to get too upset about the dates. Obviously, if I see “old” cans, I’m not buying them.

Redrover and TongoRad like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, that is exactly me when I see the majority of German brewed beers at my local beer retailers.

Based upon your input and the many posts by Michael (@TongoRad ) it very much seems that in the NYC area you have a better beer scene when it comes to imported beers. Perhaps a reflection of the demographics of NYC?

Cheers!

TongoRad and guinness77 like this.
  21. guinness77

Society

Could be. Distribution is something I definitely can’t complain about. Imported or American.

22. jzeilinger

jzeilinger (2,016) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

At $10.99 / sixer => Victory Prima Pils for this noob.

AlfromPA likes this.
  23. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR (446) Jan 8, 2015 California

If we are doing domestic pilsner battle, I'll offer up Trumer Pils for $8.99 a six pack in TJs, no more than a dollar more in groceries. Full disclosure, I have not had the pleasure of having any Victory beers outside of Hop Devil 20 years ago in New Jersey.

24. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 (305) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

In New Mexico I'm gonna go with most anything from Santa Fe Brewing. Sixers are still only $8, and the beers are top notch. Happy Camper is my go to IPA, (sometimes 7K), but their Nut Brown Ale is frequently found in my beer fridge. Unfortunately we don't get their special releases down here but Chicken Killer Barleywine is one I look for when I'm up north.

25. rocdoc1

When we're in France I can buy the Trappist beers at about 1.5 euros per bottle, while local microbrews run about 2.75 euros per bottle. So I balance my purchase between locals and Belgians, it's a difficult choice.

ChicagoJ and Redrover like this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

Corky, you are pretty fortunate with that pricing.

It will be interesting to see how long Santa Fe will be able to maintain those economical prices.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  27. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 (499) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

FYI, some Costco's in California have Trumer Pils 24 packs for around $24. Great deal.

[​IMG]

Jesseix, ChicagoJ, budsNpils and 7 others like this.
  28. rocdoc1

They've had consistently lower prices for the 15 years I've been buying their beer. Hopefully it won't change much. It has gone up about a dollar per sixer in the past year but I can live with that.
    Being able to buy their beers at Walmart and gas stations helps.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

Corky, are you still homebrewing? My last few batches: Robust Porter (I bottled this today), Ekuanot IPA, Harvest Ale (brewed with wet (fresh) hops), Saison,...The prices for ingredients (i.e., hops, yeast, malt,..) have really gone up for me over the past 6-12 months. I am certain this is the case for commercial brewers as well. And availability of C02, at increased pricing, is a BIG issue for the commercial brewers. I would think that there would be real financial pressures on the brewery businesses to pass on their increased operating costs. I have seen prices increase in my area.

Cheers!

P.S. On a related note I recently listened to a podcast with the CEO of BestMalz and he discussed how they had to double their prices for malt to their customers (breweries).

30. budsNpils

budsNpils (687) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Society Trader

Right now my budget beer is Celebration at 14.99 a 12, I got a few packs stashed back.

I got 2 cases of beer today for 70$

2 12rs of Celebration and 2 12rs of Union Lager

ChicagoJ, oneeye and miwestcoaster like this.
  31. budsNpils

budsNpils (687) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Society Trader

I wish we got that here I'd buy it.

32. AlfromPA

AlfromPA (187) Dec 9, 2021 Pennsylvania

Has been my go-to pils, but lately it's been hard to find fresh around here (i.e., it's often past the "best before" date).

33. CentralPABeerDude

CentralPABeerDude (120) Sep 1, 2022 Pennsylvania

Forgot about New Trail’s 19.2 oz cans of their Double IPA for ~$2.69. Top notch beer for a top notch price.

Redrover likes this.
  34. rocdoc1

I brewed a big IPA(OG 1.086) yesterday, first brew since we got back from France. But I'm using malt I bought in 2021 when it was still reasonable-actually I have no idea what a sack of 2 row pale costs right now. And my son in law quit brewing so he dropped off a 20 pound tank and 2 5 pound tanks of CO2, all of them full so I wont have to buy CO2 for a while.

35. JackHorzempa

Society

What did you pay for hops?

Cheers!

P.S. I brewed a batch of Dubbel this morning. The liquid yeast cost me $10.99. :grimacing: I sure hope this doesn't get any higher.

36. jstout26

jstout26 (305) May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I miss those Lagunitas 22oz bombers for $2.99 or was it $3.99? Either way, Cappuccino Stout, Hop Stoopid, etc. were great deals for "one" beer.

scootercrabb, ChicagoJ and deanzaZZR like this.
  37. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR (446) Jan 8, 2015 California

@jstout26 Just don't mention the 40 oz Sucks shelf turds. :grin:

38. BruChef

BruChef (481) Nov 8, 2009 New York

What does a bottle of Schlenkerla run over there? I assume it’s on what would be considered the expensive side considering it’s usually around $6 for a single bottle stateside. Man, I wish OEC distributed cans where I live. Would be in my fridge all the time.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  39. CentralPABeerDude

CentralPABeerDude (120) Sep 1, 2022 Pennsylvania

Not sure if Lionshead still makes them, but their IPA and Belgian White could be found for less than $10 for a 12 pack of cans. They were both decent too.

To add to that, Lionshead and Lionshead Light are both decent and could be found for $12 a case.

40. muck1979

muck1979 (0) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

We have plenty of OEC beers where I live in Minnesota. Although the last time I looked at them, they were all canned in early 2022, so there they sit.