What is the best bottle that you have purchased off the shelf?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davidanastas, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gemmell

Gemmell Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Illinois

While I was on Hilton Head on vacation I found a BA Imperial Biscotti Break just sitting around. The guy running the place said it had been there for months, but since his main costumers were mostly seniors no one really cared. He said over the course of months he had bought the entire case himself except for the bottle I bought and one he sold to a guy the day the case had arrived. Tasty.

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  2. slavall

slavall Aspirant (247) May 27, 2012 Wisconsin

I was in a grocery store in central WI and found two bottles of 2013 BCS Backyard Rye sitting at the checkout counter in January. Still have one left but will be gone after this years "Christmas Tasting Event".

3. Steban

Steban Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina

BA Imperial Biscotti break, BCBS, BCBBW

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  4. do_ob

do_ob Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

Big Bad Baptist
    Country Boy Sinkhole Stout
    FBS
    Arctic Panzer Wolf

...actually, most of the beers I've had have been shelf-bought..

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  5. Raj

Raj Disciple (363) Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Oh do tell... what is the inner city mentality?

6. OnePuttBlunder

OnePuttBlunder Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2015 Arizona

All my Firestone stuff was never technically on the shelf, either purchased after tasting dinners or out of the shop managers office. Probably the one I have enjoyed the most was Bruery Cuirve easy enough to find on shelves at most spots due to the price. Nicest find was a couple bottles of 2013 BA Big Bad Baptist that the store had been aging for two years before they put them up for sale.

The latest trend around PHX has been for store owners to hold back the whalez for a few months then randomly put them on the shelves if you happen to get lucky and stop by when they are out, they are yours to purchase. Scored BCBS BCBCS and BCBBW in July via this method.

7. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I found a Parabola on the shelf once.

8. Ext

Ext Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia

Fou', A&T, and 3 of the 4 Seasons. I was over in Barcelona for a work trip last year, and wandered into a not very large beer shop. Owner was a really cool dude--had three beers on tap, and was playing Led Zeppelin on vinyl over the speakers. He poured me one, and I wandered around the shop sipping my beer when I saw all of them just sitting there on the shelf. My jaw dropped. Litterally, they had dust on them, and when I picked them up there was a clean circle on the shelf surrounded by the dust. Couldn't believe it. Still have two of the Seasons left.

9. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

3F Armand and Tomme from the LCBO.

10. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (335) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

2010 GI Vanilla and coffee
    2009 Bourbon County
    2007 and 2008 KBS -
    tons of loons

All sat there for weeks/months before all the tickers and kids decided craft beer was the new Pet Rock.

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  11. mackeyse

mackeyse Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 New York

Walked into my local early last Dec and found 12 Vanilla Rye's (6 in fridge, 6 on shelf). No limit, no lottery, no fanfare--just showed up that same day and owner put them right in the bomber section. I grabbed one and contacted my trading partner after and asked if he wanted one. His response was "you left 11 on the shelf ! They will be gone by tomorrow!". Knowing that the place doesn't do a huge craft business I went back a few times and they sat there for probably 2 weeks before they all were sold. The owner told me he was "pissed" he only got one case.

This was same place that had a (3) 4 packs of KBS on the shelf back in maybe 2012/2013---those went a bit faster but still sat for a week +. That never happened again sadly.

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  12. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (353) May 17, 2013 Illinois

At Whole Foods in Schaumburg a couple years ago, I see this weird looking bottle with a Three Floyd's cap. Turned out to be the first batch of Permanent Funeral.

13. FosterTheFunk

FosterTheFunk Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2015 New Jersey

This past weekend we were having breakfast at a local diner that serves alcohol. There was a beer fridge tucked away close to the exit. I peaked in through the rows of mix and match bottles and saw "dire" on a label in the back. Dug my way through to find a 2010 3F Oude Gueze!

14. schramlo

schramlo Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 Michigan

A 2012 Samael's Ale, found one sitting on the shelf in the bomber section, asked the cashier about it and he gave it to me for like $4 because it wasn't marked.

15. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Well, easy. My favorite beer, Cold Mountain. Sadly it is seasonal.

16. koko2315

koko2315 Initiate (133) Jul 28, 2010 New York

BCBS 4-5 years ago
    I had a place where i would buy a Rare every week...2008 was on the shelf, etc
    Also Lou Pepe Kriek one time. But that was when you could still get loons semi-regular

17. RPM3334

RPM3334 Aspirant (216) Jul 27, 2015 South Carolina

So far Mexican Cake is by far my best purchase!

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  18. rather

rather Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 California

paid 7.50$ for north coast 2013 old ale bba same beer at TW costs 25$

19. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Meyvn (1,077) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

I was recently vacationing in Colorado and searching for Casey beers when I stopped in to Cooper Wine & Spirits in Glenwood Springs. I was only able to find The Low End by Casey but was able to grab a couple bottles of Consecration which was a pleasant surprise.

The other instance that comes to mind is when I walked in to a local store here in Baltimore and was able to grab a bottle of Lou Pepe Gueuze off the shelf.

20. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,450) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Nothing huge but did get a little while back some Imp. Biscotti Break, Chai spiced RIS from Stone and some Wootstout 3.0

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  21. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Devotee (488) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

If you equate "best" to mean "highly rated beers I never thought I'd find sitting on a shelf in plain sight," then:

Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake/Beer Geek Dessert
    Stone Xocoveza (grabbed 3 of these)

22. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Moat Water was pretty tasty and so was Big Sound bourbon barrel-aged.

23. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (363) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

stopped by a local store for the first time and saw a really great local selection but not much else...When I was checking out the guy asked if I saw the back room which I hadn't. through a hallway there's a huge room with one of the better selections I've seen around and at the bottom of one shelf is a bottle of barrel aged old Rasputin. That was one of my better finds. Every now and again I get lucky and find a FW vintage series as well.

24. DudeBeerYaBro

DudeBeerYaBro Initiate (182) Nov 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Ya-- I think they are ordering and then selling at inflated rates. Makes me not want to support them, but then again, supporting them is the only way I get to drink Westy. Not your classic catch 22, but a catch 22 nonetheless.

TongoRad likes this.
  25. DudeBeerYaBro

DudeBeerYaBro Initiate (182) Nov 3, 2014 California
    Trader

There is a little liquor store in my hometown (I have since moved) which is filled with people who don't care. When I last visited in July they still had Enjoy by 3/14, Parabola 14 and 15, Dissident, as well as a bunch of other FW special releases. I don't know who does their ordering, but they have severely misread the clientele.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.