What is the hoppiest beer around?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Smythe, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Sly Fox 113 IPA, says it's 113 IBUs.... quite bitter but in a balanced way.

upsbeernut likes this.
  2. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,821) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,806) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Couple things standing out to me...
    first, these ibu levels are theoretical or estimated. Many of these beers are hard pressed to break 80 ibu on a good day when sent out for analysis.
    second, ibu doesnt mean hoppy. Ten fidy clocks in around 80 ibus and its not hoppy. I have had hopbursted ipas that come in at 40 ibus but are hoppy as hell.
    In summation these ibu wars are a marketing ploy to try to give the product a quantitative leg up over the competition.

4. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

My friend Steve at Function Brewing makes a beer called Arlynia that is, theoretically, 223 IBUs. One 10 ounce pour and I was done.

Other Half's All Green Everything is another palette destroyer and it's listed at 120.

5. TastyIsBeer

TastyIsBeer Devotee (409) Dec 13, 2006 Illinois

IBU might as well be called "gross bitterness", as though the bitterness was something that could live on its own before dilution with other stuff... and given the way that it is calculated, alpha-acid concentration, that is essentially what it is. Of course, we actually drink these acids with OTHER STUFF (e.g., beer), so what you are really tasting is "net bitterness" -- what your tongue/brain come up with when balancing the bitter with the sweet, sour, salty, and umami that are the rest of the tastes in the overall beverage. This whole IBU craziness is like talking about how salty something _tastes_ on the basis of how many grams of salt you are consuming instead of whether it is in balance with the rest of the food: what is good for keeping an eye on your sodium intake is rotten when trying to figure out if the cook is worth a damn, it isn't enough information. Unless you are trying to gauge your alpha acid intake for some bizarre reason don't read too much into the IBU counts for almost any beer - any beer north of 50'ish (more for some palates, less for others) _could_ taste bitter, but it all depends on how the overall product was made.

mastema and Pahn like this.
  6. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

Sorry to rain on the parade, but due to alpha acid solubility, no beer is actually higher 100~110 IBU.

Further, projected IBU beyond that come from a crude equation that, for no good reason, just doesn't cap even though actual IBUs do. Most "200 projected IBU!!!" beers are actually 80~90.

Perceived bitterness has a lot to do with balance. Imperial Stouts in America almost uniformly get hopped to the point of capping IBU, but they don't have names like "Enamel Destroyer" because the malt balances out the perceived bitterness.

7. Pahn

It's like prison. Just because I sentence you to 1000 years in prison, or better "consecutive life terms", doesn't mean i expect you to live for 1000 years in prison, or to rise from the dead.

CowsandBeer and eppCOS like this.
  8. Campfire-Kev

Campfire-Kev Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Arkansas

It's funny how people view things differently. I'm a big fan of Hop Stoopid and I can't believe it's not more bitter than it is for the IBU's. Now if we get to some Stone beers or Palate Wrecker, and maybe some Devil Dancer, those were up there for me.

9. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (276) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Hop Stoopid is a got to on occasion. Wish they would six pack it

10. skleice

skleice Aspirant (274) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I'm sure there's worse, but Palate Wrecker does just that. It's incredible for the first few minutes, and then I'm done.

11. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (276) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

I love pallatte wrecker but the hoppy is at the beginning and then two more layers of malt and citrus follow.It has bite at first that is well liked

12. hopfenunmaltz

Society

116 according to their web site. They are big enough to have a lab now, so that is a more credible number the a computer program estimate.

https://www.shortsbrewing.com/beers/liberator/

13. Relik

Relik Initiate (101) Apr 20, 2011 Canada (NS)

Theoretical IBUs (brewers calculated)≠ actual IBUs ( needs to be measured to read total isomerized alpha acids).

CowsandBeer and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  14. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

This is the most intensely hoppy beer I've ever had. IBUs be damned.

15. AWA

AWA Disciple (320) Jul 22, 2014 California

Ummm. Carbonated aspirin.

16. JaefromLA

JaefromLA Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 California

I'd go with Simtra.

17. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

That Too.

18. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (382) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think lbs of hops per barrel would be a better measure of hoppy beers. When I think hoppy, I take into account bitterness, flavor and aroma. Not just bitterness as IBU measures.

19. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,817) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

Resin is easy to find idk about the midwest its over 100 ibu

20. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Canada (AB)

I didn't find Ruinten bitter at all. In fact, I found the malt really came through. I didn't like it much and really prefer Ruination.

21. DonicBoom

DonicBoom Initiate (48) Mar 26, 2015 Virginia

This is just an expression- hop bitterness has no effect on teeth, right? I see enamel commonly invoked and assume, unless someone corrects me, it's a figurative attempt to convey blunt power of bitterness.

22. HunterSBeerson

HunterSBeerson Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 California

I would agree with almost anything from Knee Deep. I personally found Hoparillo to be more hoppy. For me, Amarillo hops pack a punch.

23. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (782) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

Ranbot likes this.
  24. Pahn

Yes, exactly. Unless people know something i don't, high IBUs don't pose any special danger to your enamel / teeth health.

DonicBoom likes this.
  25. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

I definitely think we read to far into it, and I don't know if it's even possible for a beer could be 2500 ibu, but apparently it is.

26. basics

basics Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina

The most bitter tasting IPA I've ever had is Olde Hickory's Death By Hops. That stuff will melt your tongue.

Mojo likes this.
  27. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

my taste buds can't tell the difference either way

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  28. hopfenunmaltz

Society

On the label yes, in the lab no.

SFACRKnight and hopnado like this.
  29. Rlhinson2104

Rlhinson2104 Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2014 Florida

Hoppyest I've tasted? Hard to say.

But... If I'm not mistaken, the new cans of Pipeworks NvU weigh in at 150 IBUs. And it's DELICIOUS!!! :grinning:

30. Professor_Yeesh

Professor_Yeesh Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 California

Knee Deep Simtra

31. Kevin-1989

Kevin-1989 Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2014 Illinois

Six point Resin.

Even though the IBU is (only) listed at 103, it basically felt like I was eating a hop rather than drinking an IPA.

32. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

Knee Deep Simtra has something crazy going on. I can, and recently did, drink a 10.5% beer, from a 32oz growler in about 2 hours with ease. One bottle of Simtra and I was giggly shits for about 5 hours and I highly doubt it was the alcohol.

33. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,374) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Mylans Hopsickle is crazy hoppy as is Hoppin Frog Mean Manalishi. They are both really malty too, but damn the hops are crazy.

cavedave likes this.
  34. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

How about if I break 12 mirrors, does that mean I am gonna live long enough to get my 94 years of bad luck?

I agree with everything you say, it is fact that soluibility, and human taste capacity, etc., etc.

I liken the the effects of gross overhopping to the lowest notes Phil Lesh creates with his guitar. Human ears cannot hear them, and yet there is something that they add, whether it be feel, or influence upon other instrumental factors, or I don't know, but they add to the music even though they can't be heard. I do believe hops can only be put into solution to a certain point, and humans can only taste to a certain point, but I don't believe this means that grossly uber hopping does not add to the beer's profile.

35. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Which, ironically, proves it was the alcohol.:slight_smile:

SFACRKnight and steveh like this.
  36. Mojo

Mojo Champion (820) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

Harpoon Leviathian DIPA claims 90 IBUs. My memory is that it was every bit of that.

37. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Measuring "hoppiness" by IBU is certainly practical, but it has been my experience that some beers with extremely high IBUs don't taste nearly as bitter as their IBU would indicate. This is especially true for some of the better IPAs (like Heady Topper). Anyone else experience this?

DaveAnderson likes this.
  38. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,482) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Devil Dancer 112 BTU. However, as it ages it doesn't seem as bitter.

39. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

It really wasn't. One bomber at 11% is nothing for me.

40. alex_delany

alex_delany Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 New York

SingleCut's Billy 200-Watt comes in at around 180 IBUs. That is a tasty beverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.