What is THE Iconic Southern IPA?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by StevenJPatrick, May 19, 2022.

1. StevenJPatrick

StevenJPatrick Nov 24, 2020 Washington

Parameters: This is not your current fave, not the hot IPA of this week, month, or year...not necessarily. Maybe it's one you don't even drink but when it comes up in conversation, you might say, "Well, I don't like it personally but you have to give it up for that beer." This is an IPA which has a long track record, which has continued to sell a LOT for a long time. Whether it's a simple IPA, a DIPA/Imperial, Quad, whatever. The enduring IPA of this region.

Thanks!

My vote: "A Night on Ponce", Three Taverns

2. fadgen

fadgen May 5, 2005 California

Jai alai or Westbrook.

3. BMBCLT

BMBCLT May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

4. sweetsimon

sweetsimon Oct 22, 2017 Louisiana

In my region I'd say Ghost in the Machine by Parish Brewing is the iconic IPA, but you're probably going to get different answers based on which area of the South people live in or are familiar with.

5. johnyb

johnyb Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Cigar city sells a LOT of Jai Alai, and for good reason. Never disappoints, it’s $10 for a six pack at the grocery stores, and you can find it on draft in most local places that have crazy beer on tap

6. joerooster2

joerooster2 Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Jai Alai is disgusting but it's probably the most well known IPA from the south. Pernicious is another popular IPA from the south.

7. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

8. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’d also say Jai Alai. Locally it’s Foothills Jade.

Phinsfan66, bubseymour and johnyb like this.
  9. miguel_loves_beer

miguel_loves_beer Feb 7, 2017

Tampa isn't "the South".

I'll go with Tropicalia.

ChicagoJ, 1BrewBacca, lewith and 3 others like this.
  10. StevenJPatrick

StevenJPatrick Nov 24, 2020 Washington

A HUGE Thank You to everyone who replied, here. Some of you ran past the parameter of "long history and continued sales" but that's fine, too, as those mentioned are probably where the new icons are going to come from.

What I get is "Jai Alai", which figures and is somewhat inarguable, and "Ghost in The Machine", which is newer but jaw-dropping. I suspect, with absolutely NO proof, that anything from Louisiana is hampered just a bit by the fact that LA brewing was so hamstrung by its own legislature for so long that the state is just a bit late to the party. What I've tasted from Louisiana is excellent, overall. In time, the rest of the South, in that same transcendent tradition of Flavor as Southern cooking, MAY wind up being the country's most explosive beer region.

ChicagoJ, IPADUDE2019 and sweetsimon like this.
  11. Runnerhiker

Runnerhiker Jun 4, 2019 North Carolina

As someone who is originally from the Tampa Bay area, I can assure you that Central Florida is about as Southern as it gets.

Another vote for Jai Alai

12. sweetsimon

It's my understanding that Mississippi and Alabama brewers were limited by ABV laws up until relatively recently, but I'm not sure that was the case in Louisiana (Abita has been brewing here since 1986). I only moved here in 2013 though, so there may be more to the story than I'm familiar with. Ghost in the Machine has definitely been consistently popular and sought out (at least around here) since about 2015, although it's only been within the last 5 years or so that I noticed it become available year-round rather than seasonally both fresh at the brewery and at stores in bottles.

ChicagoJ and johnyb like this.
  13. donspublic

donspublic Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yeah from Texas I would have to say Yellow Rose. Louisiana would be probably go to Parish Ghost in the Machine, but man when I go thru South LA now I am stopping looking for 12 packs of Jucifier (Gnarly Barley) it is damned good and has a better shelf life.

14. miguel_loves_beer

miguel_loves_beer Feb 7, 2017

I've lived in Clearwater.

Florida is just its own beast. Sure you've got hillbillies/rednecks in Central Florida. But there are hillbillies/rednecks in Maine. Just about anywhere in the country outside of metro areas is going to be "country folk".

If the default isn't "sweet tea" or at minimum, the choice isn't offered, it's not the South.

15. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Numbers say Jai Alai, but personally I never buy it any more. Technically Sierra Nevada is Southern now, so there's that...

ChicagoJ likes this.
  16. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I prefer Ghost, but that Gnarly was everywhere the last time I was down there

ChicagoJ, Beertracker and donspublic like this.
  17. Beertracker

Beertracker Mar 3, 2004 Oklahoma
    Trader

I'm obviously late to this conversation but I'm really surprised that Sweetwater IPA &/or Terrapin Hopsecutioner wasn't at least mentioned. Both of those breweries have been slinging hops down south for a long time. Cheers! :beers:

18. BeTheBall

BeTheBall Jun 9, 2004 Florida
    Society

At least in SWFL, has to be Jai Alai!

19. marktough

marktough Dec 5, 2008 Maryland

The geographic breadth of this group makes this a challenge. Jai Alai is a reasonable choice for the southeast. Hopsecutioner is in the convo, I think. Then again, to the extent that this group includes pretty much the entire Mid-Atlantic (for better or worse), I think you have to give a historical nod to Dogfish 60, even if it doesn't own the taps like it once did. Granted, it's fairly nuts bestowing that honor on a beer brewed in a place from which you can see the Philly skyline on a clear day, but in the context of the group, it's worth a mention.

Phinsfan66 likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yeah, Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA does not get the same level of love as it used to; a beer that has been around for almost 20 years. You have to give it props for its staying power; I still have a few bottles in my fridge from a recent six-pack purchase (and thankfully it is still available in six-packs/12 ounce format).

Cheers to Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA!

21. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I would say Jai Alai, but the southeast is an enormous region. Sweetwater definitely deserves a nod.

ATL6245 and CBlack85 like this.
  22. BMBCLT

BMBCLT May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Jai Alai is way too sweet for an IPA of any kind.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  23. ATL6245

ATL6245 Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Good call on both. I'd say SweetWater IPA since it's been around the longest. Solid IPA.

24. IPADUDE2019

IPADUDE2019 Jul 24, 2019 Georgia

REALLY?? JUST ONE?? I like several from my home state of Georgia.
    Basement (Scofflaw),Hoplin' IPA (Southbound), Chance IPA (Wild Leap), A Night On Ponce (3 Taverns),Hop Dang Diggity (Jekyll) and a lot more I'll not post. I drink all the above on a regular basis so I guess all are my faves!

ChicagoJ and ATL6245 like this.
  25. IPADUDE2019

I agree. I really love those two brews!

ATL6245 likes this.
  26. IPADUDE2019

Foothills is a good brewery, have visited. Jade is a good brew! I like the dry hopping of Chinook and Citra especially. Love the hops!

carolinabeerguy likes this.
  27. ATL6245

ATL6245 Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

A Night on Ponce is a great call. I had to give the nod to SweetWater IPA because of longevity but that one is very good. It Creature Comforts had been around longer their Tropicalia would win hands down IMO.

1BrewBacca likes this.
  28. duluthjacket

duluthjacket Jul 10, 2019 Georgia

Sweetwater - for me, its a benchmark IPA kind of like Lagunitas - both been around a long time. Have to have one every now and then to remind myself how good it is.

29. CBlack85

CBlack85 Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

I'll be another one to jump on the Sweetwater train. It is a very solid, consistent beer. I will also, give honorable mention to NoDa Brewing Hop Drop & Roll

ChicagoJ, ATL6245 and sweetsimon like this.
  30. Bigrock

Bigrock Feb 4, 2013 Texas

As for my part of the Southern world, I'll go with @donspublic and Yellow Rose. It's been around long enough to get near state-wide distribution and to work out some of their consistency kinks.

Close second would be Electric Jellyfish from Pinthouse Pizza. Almost always mentioned at the top of the list for Texas (and especially Austin) IPAs. Gets docked for limited distribution though.

ChicagoJ, donspublic and sweetsimon like this.
  31. Mgh2001

Mgh2001 Dec 3, 2021
    Trader

“Tampa isn’t the south”

Lol the fck?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  32. sweetsimon

I'm going to chime back in and say, if I must choose only one iconic IPA to represent the South, that I'll go with Sweetwater IPA--at least it's a brand that I regularly see and is available here in Louisiana (unlike Jai Alai, which I've only tried several times back when my brother was living in the Tampa area and occasionally brought me some--I've never seen it for sale here). Again though, I vote for Parish's Ghost in the Machine as the iconic IPA for Louisiana specifically. I will never complain about Gnarly Barley's Jucifer as an alternative either.

As I mentioned before, the South is a big geographical area , and you're going to have different answers based on where you're located and what you're familiar with. I would guess the OP based in Washington would have a hard time narrowing down only one representative IPA from the Pacific Northwest, as views will differ from state to state and even within states. It's opened up a conversation of interesting perspectives and insight though, and as a result I was on the lookout for some of the beers mentioned here recently while traveling through GA and NC. So, please carry on--it's good to hear different viewpoints and suggestions. :slight_smile: