Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

What is the maximum amount of money you would personally spend on a bomber?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Oct 11, 2017.

1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (269) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

I spent $21.99 for an Abyss Brandy Barrel today, and that is really pushing the upper limits of what I would spend on single bottles of beer.

I would probably only go higher for whales that I can't get around here as one offs (Abraxas or the like), but only up to $30.

For something like a 4 pack of Heady Topper I would probably go into the 40-50 dollar range

IPAExpert69 and FonyBones like this.
  2. makalarch

makalarch Disciple (336) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Whoa a 4 pack of Heady for 40-50? When I lived in center city Philly I spent a pretty penny sometimes on bombers because of city markup but haven't spent more than 30 since then. Living next to Tired Hands puts this pricing in perspective though.

CharacterZero and SteveD082791 like this.
  3. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

Not on a normal basis lol but as a one off to try it? Like if my store magically had a 1 case order of it (because it's not distributed at all here)? Yes I would spend that much.

4. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (409) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Um... about $40? Depends. The latest Medianoche release came to $35/bt after taxes and fees.

Also, Black Project and Casey bottles are $16-36 each...

PittBeerGirl likes this.
  5. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (457) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

$25 is my bomber limit, and anything more than $10 has to be really special.

Heady is common enough now in VT that you could probably trade for it pretty easily.

Hayden34, Raime, DonObiWan and 2 others like this.
  6. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (228) Dec 14, 2016 California

I saw a bottle of Cantillon Lou Pepe kriek at a local bottle shop for $85 and thought that was insane. The most Ive personally spent on a single bottle is $41 and that was for Duck Duck Gooze.

Unfortunately, if youre into BA beers youre paying $20+ these days

PittBeerGirl and JouerAvecLeFeu like this.
  7. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Poo-Bah (1,580) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

On a regular basis: $8.
    2-4 times a year: $15.
    Once a year for something I really want to try I'll go up to $20.
    All bets are off if I happen upon a Cantillon 750 mL.

I'm pretty frugal with my beer buying and I keep a relatively tight budget for beer. But I also believe there is simply way too much good beer available in 4 & 6-packs to justify the $/oz for bombers. To each his/her own.

Hrodebert, bubseymour, Raime and 8 others like this.
  8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (762) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

For myself $20.00 as a gift $30.00/$35.00.

PatrickCT likes this.
  9. SteveD082791

SteveD082791 Devotee (409) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Lots of variables involved so its hard to give a flat $ amount. How many bottles I can get, what the trade value would be, how good it is, how difficult it is to acquire, etc. It would have to get into the hundreds for me to say no right off the bat. If I had BA Abraxas in front of me for $100 I would probably pull the trigger

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  10. BWood

BWood Defender (657) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Pulled the trigger last year on Utopias for $200+

MikeP64, ECOBOOSTINST, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  11. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,002) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I used to defend and love bombers but not now. If I find one I reallly want I'll spend $10 max. For whatever reason I've stopped drinking them. Wish I could explain why but I can't.

12. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

I don't know why, but I prefer a bomber over a 4 or a 6. There's just something relaxing about turning down the lights with a bomber of really good stuff (like the Abyss) by myself on a night off after everyone goes to bed. It's kind of my zen spot.

bret717, MTKATL, SteveD082791 and 7 others like this.
  13. FonyBones

FonyBones Aspirant (220) Dec 19, 2015 New York
    Subscriber

At retail, for a beer that I really enjoy or have been wanting to try for a long time, $30 has been my upper limit.

For more routine purchases, I start looking elsewhere when the price is above $15.

If we're talking anything that doesn't require barrel aging, unique additives, or some other technique outside the "traditional" brewing process, I don't pay more than $10.

Harrison8 likes this.
  14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,557) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Well put. If I'm just on an average beer run, I'll usually max out at $10 to $15. Every now and then, I'll splurge on a $20 bottle. $25 is starting to get into the "wtf" range for me, although I have spent more than that before. I usually don't drop $25+ unless I'm in a unique, rare situation, such as visiting a brewery where I can only buy their beer there (i.e. Side Project). $25 is encroaching on a fair bottle of whiskey, which will last longer than a $25 bomber of beer, so I tend to save the $25+ purchases for that.

Although, it's worth mentioning that I rarely buy bombers 6 months out of the year, and then comes peak stout season and I'm buying a dozen or two every month.. I save my money during the warm months, and then splurge when the days are short, and the beer is thick.

15. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (228) Dec 14, 2016 California

Although I do love me a good 750ml, and I agree with cmiller4642 in that its the perfect relaxing size, I have found that I have better luck in terms of beer quality with smaller bottles lately.

16. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (379) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

I am fairly anti-bomber - despise the format. I haven't bought a bomber in (maybe) years, tho I have been gifted many and have been appreciative of said gifts. I just prefer the 12oz/16oz format.

If I were to buy a bomber, my cut off point would probably be 8-10 bucks... I know it makes me miss out on a lot of beer, but oh well.

Hayden34 likes this.
  17. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,173) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

I've spent as much as $50, a couple of times, and cringed...beers in the top 250, and at bars that had well stocked, read expensive, cellars. If I'm shopping at my local go to beer stores, at $25 -30 I'll usually pass, especially if it is from a newer brewery or unknown to me otherwise. Beer is getting expensive...I'll pay for things I really like, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either - Cheers!

18. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Meyvn (1,100) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

That's a really tough question to answer, but a good question, indeed. I suspect if you were the purveyor holding the most sought after IPA, and I was the only one who could get my hands on it... well, then, NAME YOUR PRICE. Oh, you see that? I just put my wallet on your counter. Your wife & business partner? Yeah, that's my AMEX Black in her hand. LARRRGEĀ©.

cavedave likes this.
  19. scream

scream Disciple (392) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Like several others have stated here I am generally pretty frugal when it comes to bombers and 4/6 paks as well. If it is going to be over $10. it had better be special. I did spend $20+ recently for BA Old Stock Ale, Sucaba and Helldorado. Those fit my definition of special. There are just better values per oz. out there in 4/6 paks than in bombers.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  20. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (190) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

$10 is my limit, unless it's something I really really want, like CW anniversary beers.

21. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Initiate (103) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

very true.

I've paid over $30 for a bomber

and I bought bcbs rare for $60

My wallet has been molested a time or two

MikeP64, BeanBump and Beer_Economicus like this.
  22. SuperWhip

SuperWhip Initiate (154) Jul 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

On a 22oz bomber my bridge too far was a $100 bottle of Churchill's Finest that Churchill's was selling online several years ago.

I think for other beers I've cracked $100 and have had a bottle of Utopias at the casa. Kegs I'm in the $150 range

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  23. laketang

laketang Champion (800) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Supporter

I have spent up to around 30$ for an eclipse, or a so happens it's tuesday.
    So i would say thats my limit so far.

24. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (188) Dec 6, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I once paid $300, including shipping, for Darkstar November, Redeye November, and Jam The Radar. Of course, that was in a competitive bid. Would I do it again? I don't know.

25. JCaweinstein

JCaweinstein Disciple (345) Dec 30, 2010 Ohio

I'm set up to spend $26 on a bottle of CBS when it hits my local shop early November. It's one I've wanted to try for years so not sure how high I'd go on that but I know it's more than $26.

BoomKentucky likes this.
  26. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,121) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I pulled the trigger the other day for some Stone W00tstout 6.99 a bomber. I should have bought 2.

27. matcris

matcris Savant (968) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

$25. $30 if I was extremely randy for it, but, I don't know what that beer would be, at this point. I've got 4 more brews to go before my 500th, on BA.
    Got any suggestions that I may look for in the valley of the sun?

28. guzzleacoldone

guzzleacoldone Devotee (416) Feb 3, 2007 Ohio
    Subscriber

For me $8-$9 is my sweet spot. I often find bombers in the $15-$20 range that I'd love to try but just cant pull the trigger at that cost per ounce.

29. matcris

matcris Savant (968) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Yup, that's about my norm. Stone Enjoy By, Yeti, etc...give or take a buck....and I recently found a good local pb/dk chocolate stout called, Sin Tax, from Mother Earth brewing, at $6.99.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  30. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,766) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

What about a gift to yourself?

31. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (314) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

Interesting that you started this thread off with BBA Abyss as your sited example. When I read the subject line of this thread, that was the first beer that came to mind.

I bought both of those variants last year because I was excited for them.

This year - at $24.99/bomber here in Houston - I havent been able to "pull the trigger".

I think most of the local beer market agrees. Both of those variants are pretty readily accessible and I have to believe its that price.

To answer the question - Ill spend most any amount of money on a solid Jester King release. Otherwise, I keep a close eye on what Im spending for bombers.

cmiller4642 likes this.
  32. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,470) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I've paid $24 for Abyss variants and Surly BA Darkness, but it would have to be damn good and/or rare for me to pay more than $24. Maybe a Utopias would tempt me, or I may pay $30 for a CBS if I can't get any 4-packs, though I expect bombers will be $25.

33. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

I loved the 16 variant I had so much the other day ($16.99) that I had to bite the bullet. You need to treat yourself every once in a while

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  34. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (287) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Ive reported ebay sellers for crazy 4 pack prices, but OP, you would be surprised that a good amount of great IPAs can be had for your upper $50-$70/ 4pack limit. Ebay thus far has done nothing * and when local 13 oz. pours range in the $7 dollar area, a $40-$70 ebay grab is not so bad

Personally, I'm right around $18 dollars.. Abyss @ $16 is still sitting from two years back. DIPAs at $9/bomber tend to sit for awhile too. We just had a wet hopped IPA release around my way.. Price was $12/bomber.. That's just tough when its all said and done.

It was fun for awhile to try new things. but my new routine is much more refined.

I will go as high as $11 on 12 ounce bottles. So I may not be the best gauge of price/oz when it comes to stuff like Prairie beers and Avery BA beers. Bombers, I'm pretty concrete in pricing myself less than $20

35. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (116) Sep 11, 2015 Missouri

I spent $50 on Derivation at the Side Project and it was so worth it. It likely had to do with the company but one of the best beer experiences in my life. But it is more of a once a year thing. On average I'd say $15ish is mymax for a bomber.

Maestro0708 and Jkolls like this.
  36. Gajo74

Gajo74 Meyvn (1,364) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Was it worth it?

37. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Aspirant (247) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

$20 I start to have second thoughts, $25 is seriously pushing the upper limits, and anything above $12 is just an occasional purchase.

tzieser and keithmurray like this.
  38. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (979) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

It all depends on the bomber. Run of the mill stuff maybe 8-10 bucks, something really special no more than 15-17. After that I walk, there is so much great beer around that I can get outstanding product cheaper so in the end why drop the coin unless its something I wanted to always try or item I wanted to check off list of to try.

tzieser and scream like this.
  39. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (631) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Zero.....I multiply the price x3 and it's still not a full six pack.

Years ago I spent on big bottles, but spent more on 12oz. Most spent? $15 at Allagash on a 12oz bottle and many times after that. $170+ on a case of Supplication.

Most of the large bottles I have purchased fell into $5-18 but most were under $10. I remember buying Labirinth(sp) and speedway for $9 a bottle. Both worth it to me. I think they are closing in on $15 now, I would pass now.

At this time I can't justify the prices. I miss lots of good beer but I also don't waste on bad beer. Anyone remember Brux? One of the worst beers I ever had. Chimay anniversary was over $20 and not close to worth it. Too many misses on large formats and too many hype beers that are not really that good.

Add up the misses and it's a small fortune.

Enjoy

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  40. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Devotee (461) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Beer Trader

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.