Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

What is the most beer you've ever owned at one time

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by gillagorilla, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,020) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This thread couldn't have better timing. I'm moving at the end of the month (to Louisiana no less which has horrible distro) so I've been buying up as much beer as possible from different regions so I can hoard it all on the move. Right now I probably have the most beer I've owned in over a year and a half:

56 12 oz. bottles
    5 22 oz. bombers
    5 750 mL bombers
    4 16 oz. tall boy cans
    3 12 oz. cans
    3 11.2 oz. bottles
    2 12.7 oz. bottles
    1 8.5 oz. bottle

This isn't the most beer I've ever owned at once but it's kinda close. Certainly the most variety of sizes of bottles and cans though.

2. EOTLBrewer

EOTLBrewer Initiate (196) Dec 18, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I know someone close by who likes to drink beer ;

HighWine likes this.
  3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,188) Mar 18, 2010 California

Probably 50-75 at one time.

4. dogglebe

dogglebe Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2013 New York

Or infinity times infinity plus one.

Game. Set. And match.

Phil

Bluecane likes this.
  5. atone315

atone315 Savant (933) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Just to wrap up the joke....[​IMG]

And to keep the thread on track, I have about ~100 large format bottles and ~350 12oz or smaller bottles. The cellar always seems to grow, so that is the largest # to date.

Bluecane likes this.
  6. jbland21

jbland21 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2012 Illinois

I currently have about 100+ bottles going by the list I keep on my phone and try to keep loosely up to date, with somewhere between 50-60 different beers. That number will inevitably grow much larger in the next couple of weeks as a massive Michigan beercation is scheduled to go down early next month.

7. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've been trying to get down below 150 or so for a while now but still seem to hover in the 200-225 range even though I don't buy too many bottles these days.

8. YoDude

YoDude Aspirant (284) Nov 21, 2008 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm at a little over 550, with half of that unique. This gives me the opportunity to try a beer at different stages of aging. Hard to get the count down. So many great beers, so little time.

9. MichaelGV

MichaelGV Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2008 California

I lease a walk-in temperature and humidity-controlled locker about a half hour from my house which was originally for storing wine. Now there are 18 cases of beer to go with 40 cases of wine. When a Clusterfork comes around, I have no trouble finding something to bring.

gillagorilla likes this.
  10. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,074) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

That's where I'm at now and it needs to go down. Way down.

11. LaylasBetterHalf

LaylasBetterHalf Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2012 New Jersey

I just did inventory the other day and was close to 200... My wife says i have a problem; however, she never complains when I share a good one with her.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  12. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington

700 bottles right now.

13. jp7161

jp7161 Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Enough to drink two beers every night for over two and a half years, assuming I don't purchase anymore.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  14. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (348) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I was shooting for 500 bottles just for my own record, I hit 560 before I realized I had a problem and started backing off buying. Now I'm down to maybe 250. Sold and traded a lot, and have consumed a good bit. I'd love to be back in the 500-600 range but I honestly can't afford it anymore.

15. halo21

halo21 Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2004 New York

250 or so. I think I am sitting at around 235-240 now; I have been weeding through some but expect to add lots more this year. I have yet to come across something 'too' past its prime. A little more oxidation that desired here or there, but overall, very happy with the results.

16. lbour

lbour Initiate (186) Jul 17, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Immortale25, you shouldn't worry about distribution in Louisiana. Shelton Brothers and 12 Percent both distribute there. Stein's Deli is one of the best beer stores in the South. And Avenue Pub is one of the best beer bars in the US. You are in better shape than you realize. That is, unless you'll live no where near New Orleans. Then I got nothing for you. Cheers!

17. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (566) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

I never counted but it was at least 300 bottles because I owned over 150 bottles (which I did count) of various years of Regular Bourbon County Stout.

18. mathieuc

mathieuc Initiate (147) Apr 14, 2009 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

LOL, mine never said that I had a problem but just rolls her eyes when I come in with a case or two saying that I didn't know what to drink anymore (from the cellar) so I bought some new stuff. I believe I'm sitting @ around 250-275 right now and would like to trim it down to a more reasonable 150 or so. I have some stuff in there that I'd rather not drink ever again, aged or not.

19. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 Virginia

I have about 18 car payments worth of beer in my parents closet.

[​IMG]

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  20. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Devotee (457) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ha you know you're a hoarder when you're buying - and not drinking or giving away beer - with a pending move .

richardflyr likes this.
  21. jnrjr79

jnrjr79 Initiate (160) Feb 23, 2009 Illinois

I have tried to lessen my stock, unsuccessfully. I have slowed my buying, but I'm not going through things fast enough, so the inventory keeps growing.

I am intentionally cellaring around 600 bottles. (I inventory my commercial beer I'm cellaring, but not my cellared homebrews). A bit of 500 of that is commercial beer, with the remainder homebrew.

I probably have an additional 50-75 bottles of beer in a couple of different fridges that I'm not really planning to age, but is on-hand.

I have a couple corny kegs of homebrew, and have an additional 80 gallons of homebrew (a sour brown and a quad) aging in barrels in the basement.

I need help!

bozodogbreath likes this.
  22. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,178) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

Now, about 250 bottles, most of which are bombers.

23. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Devotee (456) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I think at last count I had about 100 to 120 bombers (22 oz)
    Then another 100-125 singles (12 oz)
    A couple growlers and what not...

When I ran out of room in the second beer only fridge my wife started to think I had a problem. She might have a point but I just keep on accumulating...

24. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

I have a bottle of Old Guardian in the cabinet. Does that count?

25. Cuzco

Cuzco Initiate (79) Mar 22, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

exact bottle counts are not current but last I counted I could consume 44oz of beer for the next 27 months without buying any beer. This includes homebrew but not the 3 5 gallon carboys that about ready to keg.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  26. jmm380

jmm380 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

hmmm 20 bombers, 20 750's, and probably 30 12oz waiting in line for the fridge or being 'cellared'. Another 30 of mixed sizes in the fridge.

27. Throwin

Throwin Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Its good to see I'm not the only one with these problems. Makes me feel better about it! We hover around 400 mixed size bottles and a few cans from about 50 brewers.

28. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Disciple (389) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Beer Trader

400+, mostly Imperial Stouts and Old Ales, with a few sours mixed in for good measure. Probably closer to 475 when I consider I recently bought a case each of Allagash White, Bell's Oberon and Founders Rubaeus to enjoy with friends this summer.

inchrisin likes this.
  29. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I just finished my keezer and it will fit 30 gal. I'm about to brew some more and in 2 months that will be the peak of my operations. It'll be that + about 5 more gallons of cellar bottles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.