What is the oldest beer you have had? and how was it?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Brandonparrent, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Brandonparrent

Brandonparrent Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2014 Michigan

I'm sure this has been asked but I'm throwing it out there again if it has. What is the oldest beer you have had? and how was it?
    I have had a couple 6 or 7 year old european beers(quads and triples) that tasted awful, very turpentiney, and a couple just as old Chimays that were delicious. I also have a 09 WWS right now and throwing around when to pour this bad boy, Ive seen lots of posts on WWS but I'm thinking 10 just for fun. Im looking forward to the comments.

2. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,674) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

I had a 2012 Grand Teton - Coming Home Holiday Ale...I didn't realize it was a Barley Wine, which is one of the few styles I'm not crazy about...it was OK...I got the 22-oz for 6 bucks

3. JoelClark

JoelClark Devotee (437) Jul 22, 2014 Idaho
    Trader

Last May, I had a Bridgeport Old Knucklehead from 1992 (6.75%). Surprinsingly, the aroma held up pretty well for such an old beer. The taste, however, did not.

WesMantooth and RobNewton like this.
  4. Anatole

Anatole Disciple (302) Sep 19, 2013 Belgium

Regular Rodenbach from 1999.
    Not sparkling any more and lost a lot of taste. Much sweeter than fresh Rodenbach.
    Still enjoyable but nothing exceptional.

Orval from 1996.
    One was undrinkable. Other was really fantastic, turned like Porto.

WesMantooth likes this.
  5. Brandonparrent

Brandonparrent Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2014 Michigan

wow thats old

wallpaperbag likes this.
  6. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (379) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

1988 Anchor Christmas. Absolutely retched.

Hatzilla and WesMantooth like this.
  7. Fahmie25

Fahmie25 Disciple (338) Jan 2, 2008 New York
    Trader

Just opened a 2007 anchor Christmas on Christmas. It was bad.

Hatzilla likes this.
  8. maz

maz Disciple (314) Apr 27, 2009 Illinois

Commercial - '08 Bigfoot (drank last summer). Really good. Obviously different than fresh BF (aroma) but bitterness and malt flavors really held up well (you knew it was Bigfoot). Have 1 left.

Homebrewed - '06 English BW. Been over a year since drinking it. Very drinkable. Sherry-like flavors developing. I have a few bottles left. Want to hold on to one until '16 (10 years). Drank an '08 Rye BW last week that was fantastic. Also had some sherry notes, with a little spicy bite from the rye.

do_ob likes this.
  9. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,724) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Blauw is from what, 2003? And it was friggin' amazing.

I can't imagine drinking a stout or barleywine that old. Aside from I suppose the likes of JW Lee's, but still.. I think lambic is the way to go when it comes to the real old stuff.

paulys55 likes this.
  10. Lukass

Lukass Savant (917) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

11. iong516

iong516 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Pennsylvania

Had some really gross stuff from Blackstone (Nashville, est 1994) during a bottle release/share with some of the owners and friends of owners. They had anniversary beers and other 'special' stuff that were bottled and capped right off the tap in some instances. Some were drinkable but in 'rather not' territory. Was cool to see what beer from 1998 tastes like, but it didn't taste good. That said it was one of the nicer beer events I've been to - very small/intimate and I had my first opportunity to try some pretty neat stuff. First Dark Lord, first loon (Fou) etc.

12. jedwards

jedwards Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2009 California

Do you recall which batch? One of those early 90s batches was in screw-top bottles (who made a screw-top nip, that's what I want to know) and fared much worse than the others. I think I still have a couple from that era someplace.

13. JoelClark

Trader

I think it was a pop top. I just remember all of us at the tasting listening really closely to try to hear the hiss of carbonation (much more listening than looking), and, much to our surprise, there was a bit of one.

jedwards likes this.
  14. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Most recently its been Traquair 100 which was brewed in 1978.

15. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,500) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

At the 2013 4 Elf Party I shared a 1999 Arcadia Impy stout that a guy just bought from the brewery the day before. It was amazing.

Studfarm69 likes this.
  16. MichaelGV

MichaelGV Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2008 California

Eight-year-old Cuvee Tomme that was brewed at Pizza Port Solana Beach. Drank it about five years ago. Best beer I have ever had. Flavor had grown richer and more nuanced. I've been cellaring Cuvee Tommes ever since.

swolepeer likes this.
  17. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,172) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

10 year old JW Lees - it was amazing.

10 year old Gale's Prize Old Ale - horrible, the wine style cork obviously did not do it's job, and it was totally oxidized and flat.

18. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

1993 Thomas Hardy's- tasted like candied lunch meat, not that great, and I think I just had a poorly stored bottle, other 93/94/95 were fine.

1994 SA Triple Bock- decadent chocolate truffle.

1997 SA Triple Bock- chocolate soy, but I still liked it :slight_smile:

1999 Thomas Hardy's- great sweet toffee with still some tea-like tannins

I have an 81 Hardys I'm saving for later this spring when I am reunited with my hetero-lifemate Silent Josh, to celebrate my return to the PNW!

RobNewton and SixThousandDollars like this.
  19. BigOldOaf

BigOldOaf Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Massachusetts

I recently had an '09 Aventinus Eisbock which was absolutely delicious. Found it on the bargain rack at the beer store already aged five years. A couple weeks later I tried a fresh one and the two were barely comparable. WAY better aged!

20. Zimbo

It sure is. Far too raw volatile when it first goes in the bottle.

21. JoelClark

Trader

Glad to know! I just bought several bottles of this for the cellar, figuring it'd age beautifully.

22. JoelClark

Trader

How was it?

23. SanDiegoBeerLove

SanDiegoBeerLove Disciple (305) Sep 20, 2009 California

A 26yr old chimay blue. The cap was all rusty but the beer inside was fine.

24. francisweizen

francisweizen Poo-Bah (2,953) Nov 4, 2002 Alaska

1968 Thomas Hardy's - The highlight of a vertical tasting
    1983 courage russian imperial stout - phenomenal
    1980 cantillon framboise - amazing
    1982 de dolle oerbier and special brousel - phenomenal
    1972 green king farm stout - surprised it held up so well

theres been a lot of them but all of these stick out these were all drunk in the early to mid 00's

25. AJ_Barbieri

AJ_Barbieri Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2014 Connecticut

2009 Old Crustesean Barleywine. It was actually really nice after 5 years.

TurkeyFeathers likes this.
  26. Zimbo

It was smooth, suave and velvety with a lightly integrated sweet richness. But it had to be drunk quickly before these gorgeous qualities completely disappeared.

Traquairlover and JoelClark like this.
  27. 7ate9

7ate9 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2007 Virginia

I wish I remembered the story of how he acquired it, but a friend had Drie Fonteinen Gueuze from 1963. It was acetone.

CheapBeerBuzz likes this.
  28. J-Bk

J-Bk Initiate (54) Jul 26, 2014 New York

1992 Goudenband, opened in 2004. Practically still, but the flavor was amazing! 1994 Samichlaus in 2010- another great one. I have a few 1985 Thomas Hardy that I'm hanging on to, may try one this year.

Fasnic likes this.
  29. JoelClark

Trader

I have a bunch of Samichlaus in the cellar. Been wondering how long it could go. Thanks for sharing!

30. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (379) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

It's hard to consider anything post 2000 that old, so you guys mentioning five year old beers haven't really had anything old. I'm pretty sure we've all have five year old beer if we're at least enthusiasts.

Gale's Prize Olde Ale is notorious for horrible corks, did a 1996-2002 vertical last Thanksgiving and ever single cork fell to pieces in the bottles. The beer itself is also known for being bottled near flat, so it's no surprise to anyone that it's completely dead after a decade. Still, a cool beer to try. Their Conquest Ale has faired better, a recent 2002 bottle I had was still solidly carbed.

31. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (3,807) Feb 11, 2009 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

I had a 2003 Old Stock Ale from North Coast not that long ago and it was drinking well, also had a JW Lees that had 11 years on it and it was amazing.

TurkeyFeathers and Zimbo like this.
  32. cantak

cantak Initiate (130) Oct 10, 2012 Minnesota

Had a 1975 Courage Russian Imperial Stout. To be fair, it was a year and a half ago, so it was only 38 years old =)

Held up wonderfully.

Fasnic, TurkeyFeathers and Zimbo like this.
  33. Johnnyhitch

Johnnyhitch Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

2001 Bigfoot at EBF last year. Oxidation was evident but smooth and tasted like an old molasses (in a good way)
    Still some hop out back also!

TurkeyFeathers likes this.
  34. matedog

matedog Initiate (64) Jan 25, 2010 California

[​IMG]

Tasted like heaven. Surprisingly carbed too.

koplamp, swolepeer, jsrose16 and 3 others like this.
  35. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,628) Mar 18, 2010 California

What was the price on that?

36. J-Bk

J-Bk Initiate (54) Jul 26, 2014 New York

Looks like I've had the same experiences with Gale's corks as the rest of you. What a shame, because it's such a good beer.

Zimbo likes this.
  37. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,334) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

I don't about that. I once bought a case, and upon opening it a number of corks were 1/4" or more above the bottle lip, several others had extended further and pushed through the foil, and two had actually been forced out of the bottle and were found "U" shaped (from the pressure against the still-taped lid) next to the open bottles.

Granted, it could have been a case of an unintended in-bottle secondary fermentation from some of the "bugs".

#37 jesskidden, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  38. matedog

matedog Initiate (64) Jan 25, 2010 California

$72

39. shelt11

shelt11 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2015 Ohio

Drank these whales during the Superbowl with a couple others. Probably not the oldest ever, but the Fort was 2009. Really good... (but not sure it was better than the BCS vanilla)
    [​IMG]

40. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (522) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

I had a 2010 Decadence from AleSmith... holy mother of god it was perfectly aged.