What is the worst price gouging / profiteering you've seen?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SerialTicker, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. busternuggz

busternuggz Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

A local store sold Firestone XVII for $40 (the one down the street had it for $24).

2. ChanChan

ChanChan Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 California

One of my local Bakersfield stores had bottles of Parabola for $49.99!! That store is two hours from the brewery!! At least one of the other local stores now sites this store's bullshit prices on Firestone Walker to rationalize the increase of some of their beer prices!! This store fucked our beer community in more ways than one!! :angry:

3. indesertum

indesertum Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2009 New York

Nothing is bad as pappy these past few years. This year is just insane. I've seen the 20 for 1600 and lot b for 300. One shop has a package of 10, rye, 15, and 20 for 3 grand. Jesus

4. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Almost any sour/saison...I'm not sure why but that family of styles is always priced higher anywhere I've seen them. Maybe I'm ignorant and they're more ingredient/labor intensive to make, but it's always seemed to me that sours/saisons consider themselves (if I may personify them) as "classier" than the rest of craft beer, hence they're priced like they were fine wine.
    Also anything from The Bruery. Maybe it's so good that it's worth $20-$30 for a 750mL, but that price is also keeping me from finding out whether it is.

5. Dr_Bahmbay13

Dr_Bahmbay13 Devotee (447) Mar 10, 2013 Michigan

I have major problem with this !

6. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (8,021) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I was dumb enough to drop $45 on a bottle of Thomas Hardy from the late 80's.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  7. basics

basics Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina

I don't really have any gouging stories so I'll post the opposite. The Total Wine near me totally drops prices on beers that are explicitly seasonal after their respective seasons are over. Sixers of GL Christmas Ale for 6.99 the day after Christmas, The Bruery's Autumn Maple for 3.99, Merry Maker 2.99, Woodchuck Pumpkin 3.99 a sixer, Smuttynose pumpkin 6.99 a 12 pack. I love it.

Benish likes this.
  8. C2H5

C2H5 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Illinois

i was at the cubs game and they wanted like 6 bucks for a 16oz Old style..i brought a round, 36 dollars for a six pack that costs 4.50 in a store...and i look around and everyone is doing it! freaking crazy! then i brought a 5 dollar pretzel and was like wtf?! then we went out to dinner afterwards and the dude was like "we added 18% on top of the 300$ bill" in "gratuity"..I almost shit myself! next day, walked right into the liquor store and brought 3 bolt cutters, 95 dollars, and thought to myself this better be good..it wasnt..and the cubs lost..and the girls I took to the game, she's gone too..and the place we went to dinner sucked..shit

9. watermelon

watermelon Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 North Carolina

Is this characteristic of every Total Wine? If not does the Total Wine in question happen to be in the Charlotte area?

10. basics

basics Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina

I really can't say if it's for all of them. I'm in GSO. The TW here is tremendously slow on beer sales and is somewhat of a hidden secret because they get almost all the big releases, but don't have many beer nerds that come through. So I can get Harvest Ale, Hopslam, KBS, BCBS etc. for a few days after they initially receive it... I don't think they've ever sold out of a specialty release the day that it's come in. If you ever really want a particular beer you should call them (high point rd.) and see if they still have it/take a reserve and make the 1.5 hour drive.

watermelon likes this.
  11. adamcarlson28

adamcarlson28 Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2012 Wisconsin

THIS!!! I run a retail wine and liquor store attached to a restaurant and everyone thinks we should the exact same retail price for everything in the restaurants...some people just don't understand.

SouthAtholSuds likes this.
  12. Hoopster4hire

Hoopster4hire Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2005 Oregon

To be fair, it was at a club in Las Vegas. $15 for a Corona

13. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Yeah, that is the going price. Most places don't advertise them in four-packs though, because of said sticker shock. It is about that at the brewery, maybe like $35 at the lowest.

alex_hart likes this.
  14. Adirondack47

Adirondack47 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2013 New York

FP, Sucks & Sculpin growler fills for $10!? Where in NY, Im on my way...

VonZipper likes this.
  15. k_vancleef

k_vancleef Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Rhode Island

The bar I work at has a 27% cost... everything is too high. Prices on specialty rotating beers is usually steep as one would imagine but $8 for a 20oz guinness, $7.25 for a 20oz Carlsberg... bogus.

16. mizary

mizary Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2007 Ohio

There is a place near me (N. KY) that has (or at least they did) 23yr old pappy for $7. Well... for a 1/2oz pour. I tried the 10 and 12yr ones... only $2 per sample.

I remember when pappy just sat on the shelf untouched... it's a fad.

17. HartsyThaiFood

HartsyThaiFood Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2013 Illinois

$50 for a bottle of BCS Proprietors because I was desperate and didn't think I'd ever find it. I regret very little.

18. Providence

Providence Crusader (714) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

WHOA! Was the bottle the size of your leg?

19. tbaker397

tbaker397 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 West Virginia

Mine was 13 or 14 a bottle for this year's bcbs. I passed. That was not at a bar I may add...

20. tbaker397

tbaker397 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 West Virginia

Truthfully if I walked in somewhere and I had the money and I saw it sitting there, I too would buy it simply because I know theres little to no chance id ever see it again.

21. HartsyThaiFood

HartsyThaiFood Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2013 Illinois

And that's exactly why I did it. It was a few days after it went on sale and was the last bottle on the shelf. I couldn't resist.

22. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Sounds like a bargain? A bottle of super delicious beer, that cost $6 in 1987, stored for 25 years....

23. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Meyvn (1,016) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

24. GotWad629

GotWad629 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2010 New York

Mexican Cake??? Where in NY are you?

25. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,191) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

New Glarus proves that sours do not need to be expensive. 10 bucks for a 4pack Wild Sour Ale!

BurgeoningBrewhead likes this.
  26. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Yeah - looking at the trading forums, the return on investment for a VSB is phenomenal

27. robieobie1

robieobie1 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2012 Pennsylvania

32$ for a 12 oz bottle of Otto From the Wood.... That is outrageous.

28. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,191) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

It is VERY phenomenal. If it wasn't for VSB I wouldn't have tasted all these other beers in the market.

29. Gunch43

Gunch43 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Pennsylvania

It's about $200 a case at a distributor so a 4 pack for 38.99 is not unreasonable at a bottle shop.

30. tubeshooter

tubeshooter Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2007 Florida

just paid $12 for 1 bottle of world wide , never again

31. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,152) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I paid $7.25 for one but that was on the strip in Vegas...$11 is unreal.

32. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,152) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I've seen that for $10+ around here for 12 oz. I would like to try it but that just crosses the line in my mind...

33. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

$10 is the retail price for WWS. It's definitely high, but it's also a 20% abv stout. Having just bought one last week (I had one years ago at a bar and haven't had one since) I was a disappointed. Wouldn't do it again

34. DaKur

DaKur Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2012 Rhode Island

Remember the thread on a $50 bottle of old, can't Enjoy By because the shop owner said it was a collectable. Sorry if a repeat.

35. seamus14

seamus14 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

Forget which it was but it was a $22/12oz bottle of something from The Lost Abbey. Some people out there may say it's rare and be willing to pay for it but not me.

36. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Ohio

I saw a shop in Philly a week or so ago that had HotD Michael for $30 a bottle - ouch.

I caved and bought a Coffee Eclipse for $30 since Eclipse doesn't come to Ohio, though.

37. Blowofftube

Blowofftube Initiate (86) Dec 26, 2012 Michigan

$29.99 4pack of Great Lakes blackout, $399 Utopias, and $10 per bottle of double crooked tree all in one place, Alex's gas station in Holly MI. Guy is a piece of....

38. homebrew311

homebrew311 Poo-Bah (2,476) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

A restaurant in Chicago had CBS on the bottle list for $104. I mean I understand that places have mark up, but I think this was a little out of control.

39. Ave

Ave Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2003 Iowa

An argument in favor of “price gouging”
    Let’s try to pull some of these issues apart. Most bars and liquor stores run their business on a profit margin model: $X spent on purchasing of inventory times Y% markup percent = profitability. This is the way business is done, and the way business has been done for…well, centuries: and not just the beer business, BUISINESS business. So, I can spend $.89 on a bottle Bud Light; mark it up 300% (a very typical on premise rate) and sell it for $3 & I’ve made a tidy $2.11.
    Hold on there! I smell the gears grinding from here…
    So if I spend $5.34 on a bomber of Stone Double Bastard and mark it up 300% and sell it for $16, then I’ve made a tidy profit of $10.66 & I’ve pissed off every beer nerd in town as an added bonus in the name of “price gouging”. So of course I can’t do that, and besides if that were the end of the equation, yes that would be gouging, but… lets add volume. If I sell 240 Bud lights (10 cases) a week I’ve made a profit of $506: I can run a business on that. I would need to sell 47 Double Bastards, 4 cases, to make the same profit, & that’s at full markup which I can’t do without pissing off all my nerds, so I’ll mark up the Double Bastard just 150% sell it for $8 make lots of friends and a profit of $2.66 and have to sell 8 cases of Double Bastard in order to make the same profit as I would if I had just sold Bud Light. I could sell 10 cases of Bud Light a week while asleep on vacation: it takes work and effort and strategy to sell 8 cases of Double Bastard, & those things are not free. Craft beer sells, but it sells much more slowly, and much more erratically, much unpredictably than dose macro.
    Despite its gains, craft beer is still nowhere near as profitable as macro for any retailer. And any time you complain to a retailer that they are charging too much for your favorite craft beer, they think to themselves “Really? Because I’m still not making as much profit off it as I am domestic, maybe I should just say fuck it and go back to selling crap to people who are happy to pay $3 for a beer.”
    And the notion that a Brewery sets prices in some kind of magical MSRP land is a fantasy. A brewery sets prices at the Brewery, that's it.

absyrd1, chrisinidaho and Tiburon like this.
  40. Ave

Ave Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2003 Iowa

AND ANOTHER THING!!!

super rare stuff? supply & demand... simple as that. scarcity increases value. Ya don’t want to pay that much for it? Don’t. Ya should have camped out at the brewery like the other fools. The fact is, CBS is as expensive as it is because Beeradvocate.com is full of people talking about how amazing it is, AND… you can’t buy it.

hwy395 and utopiajane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.