What is the worst price gouging / profiteering you've seen?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SerialTicker, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrangeAmps

OrangeAmps Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

One restaurant in Cambridge, MA had cans of Heady Topper going for $14/can. Life changing.

2. RyanOooh

RyanOooh Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Vermont

OK, saw Sculpin for $16.99 for a six. I think that's outrageous. Another store had it for $12.99, both cans.

3. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

You and your fancy logic. It's getting in the way of people complaining about what price they'd prefer to pay for something! [shakes an internet fist]

But seriously, this is a very informative post that shows people the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the complex process of pricing, and it doesn't even get into the geographical impact on prices, and localized markets. Good stuff.

absyrd1 likes this.
  4. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Current year Zhukov bottles for $50.00 at Barrel and Grain.
    I can understand a price hike due to drinking at bar, but from $11.99 to $50.00....
    Place is out of business now, go figure.

5. SirWalkAbout

SirWalkAbout Initiate (164) Dec 6, 2011 Texas
    Trader

$15 for a bud light at a strip club in Vegas. Bartender opened it so I had to pay.

sjc83 likes this.
  6. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

at a bar? you can never use the words price gouging or profiteering if it's a bar

7. Inglewood

Inglewood Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 Illinois

$75 for a bottle of Proprietor's BCBS

8. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,822) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I'm near the Nassau/Suffolk border. It was at Beer City in North Babylon about 2 or 3 months ago.

9. life_is_beautiful

life_is_beautiful Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2013 Pennsylvania

The former is the going rate around here. Hopefully this will change soon as it seems the wholesale price has dropped.

10. indesertum

indesertum Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2009 New York

Damn. I need to move to Kentucky. I think the fad is here to stay.

11. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (8,022) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I thought so too but it tasted like a pile of peat compost (IMO) which destroyed the experience (but man the bottle looks really cool so I saved it!).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The shelf life I believe is somewhere around (25) years and when this one was cracked, it was past that cut-off. It was a small fortune and a disappointing experience but the trophy bottle eases the pain!

HRamz3 likes this.
  12. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2010 Michigan

A wannabe liquor store in A2 tried to charge me almost 50 bucks for a bottle of CBS when it was released a couple years ago...I admit I wavered for a sec but did NOT buy it...ended up getting a couple bottles at MSRP at Arbor Farms and also 1 bottle at a competing small liquor store for just over MSRP...needless to say, Ive never been back to said wannabe store...

13. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada

The restaurant I work for on the las Vegas strip does 300% mark up.....but true it is standard

Ave likes this.
  14. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Eclipse pappy van winkle for $80.

15. hwy395

hwy395 Initiate (194) Jan 20, 2012 California
    Trader

Now I feel f'ing ripped off...I just paid $14.99 or an O'douls 12 oz at my AA meeting...
    F'ckers....
    They know they've got me....

charlzm likes this.
  16. hwy395

hwy395 Initiate (194) Jan 20, 2012 California
    Trader

You, my good man, are welcome to come and stay at my house and drink Pliny with me, at $3.99 or 4.49 a bottle at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa ( unsolicited advertisement ), anytime you are in town...I love your post.
    However, do they really have craft beer in Iowa ?

absyrd1 likes this.
  17. raynmoon

Can you get me any BCBS coffee?

18. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

What a shame! I've had several 1980's Hardy's, though that was when they were anywhere between 10-15 years old (some time in late 90's). I can honestly say those are my fondest beer memories. Soo smooth and soft.

jzeilinger likes this.
  19. kelvarnsen

kelvarnsen Disciple (377) Nov 30, 2011 Canada (ON)

I was in a beer store in upstate NY, which is about a 3 hour drive from Waterbury Vermont, selling cans of Heady Topper for $10 each. Or you could buy a 4 pack for $36.

20. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

Yeah I see Sculpin consistently for $16.99 I think it's overpriced

21. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

I probably could I've seen it around before

22. raynmoon

Woohooo. I can't find it

23. life_is_beautiful

life_is_beautiful Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2013 Pennsylvania

Following back up on this, I just went into a shop today that had both bottles and cans for $19.99 a sixer

24. hnandez

hnandez Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 California

There is a store here in Southern California that got a hold of a bunch of Heady. So what he was doing was this:

You had to buy 4 bombers of anything else in his store in order to "qualify" to buy one can of Heady for $10.

If I had never had Heady before I would have probably done it. Seems kind ridiculous though.

25. PapiFuego

PapiFuego Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 New York

$40 for The Bruery Bois.

26. VDUX

VDUX Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2013 Illinois

$18.00 for a reg 12oz bcbs and $99.00 for prop in Bloomingdale Illinois. Really sad needless to say they are still in stock.

krustster likes this.
  27. jaltland

jaltland Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Pennsylvania

19.99 for a courage russian imperial.

28. AlwaysPullStout

AlwaysPullStout Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2013 New Jersey

Any bottle of Port Brewing, they don't standard 12oz bottle which is ridiculous

29. Steve_Oldrati

Steve_Oldrati Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania

Took this picture at a bottle shop in Pittsburgh 6 months ago:

Needless to say, there are still 20+ bottles sitting on the shelf.

30. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I bought a case of Sculpin bottles at my distributor for $62. $12.99 is a steal.

RyanOooh likes this.
  31. GABrew

GABrew Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Georgia

A guy on Craigslist Atlanta trying to sell one Westy 12 from the US distro brick pack with the glass for $400.

32. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,180) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

I know a place here in the greater LA metro that has cans of Heady "in the back" which he will sell to you if you're cool. Nine bucks each.

I have bought a few, mainly for beer shares. I think I'm done paying that much for that beer; while it is certainly good, it's not worth that price to me.

hnandez likes this.
  33. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,180) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

That is a big fat LOL.

vurt likes this.
  34. RandyV

RandyV Initiate (146) Aug 8, 2010 Arizona

Ouch! It is one of my favorites though.

35. Tashbrew

Tashbrew Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2007 California

Where?

36. BastardKing24

BastardKing24 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2010 Oregon

I think people just need to ignore these very high prices that they see. Beer is beer, it isn't a rare wine or like Dom Perignon. It has a maximum retail value unless its been aged for a while and it's a beer that stands the test of time. The biggest gouge I've seen is maybe 13 bucks for a rodenbach grand cru, and thats just a mark up. By the way how are beers you can only get from the brewery gauged. Local place said that his barrel aged speedway stout wasn't for sale , but if he would sell me one it would be like 70 bucks.

#236 BastardKing24, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  37. raynmoon

Good karma SJ

38. brureview

brureview Poo-Bah (2,334) Jan 20, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

I've been looking for Sweet Repute. Is it worth it? 5 months old Lunch at $10.25? A rip off. Great beer- when fresh.

39. mjstacker

mjstacker Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2013 New Hampshire

My local liquor store got 2 bottles, I got 1. Haven't popped it yet, soon i hope. Maybe this weekend, i've been waiting for the right crowd hopefully without waiting too long. It was "Mo" not "Lunch" but either way, Maine Beer Co. needs to be fresh. I got "Little One" 2 days old in November. Cheers.

40. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (786) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

From what I've read on here the verdict seems to be 50/50. I, however, thought it was delicious! Scored 3 of them and drank one right away. Retails for $18.99. Don't be shy. It's amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.