What Is Your Go to CHEAP Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crispysdad, Aug 12, 2017.

1. crispysdad

crispysdad Initiate (115) Sep 16, 2008 New Mexico

I enjoy world class brews as much as anybody else. Got a 4-pack of Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA in the fridge as I type this! But, sitting right next to it is a sixer of Coors Banquet in 16 oz cans. And I gotta tell ya, put 3 or 4 of those bad boys in the freezer JUST until ice crystals start to form.......and DANG, that Coors sure is going down smooth! No need to pour it into glassware, it is great straight from the can! I will save the Dogfish for tomorrow night.

Coors Banquet......or Coors Original (same thing).......is MY "go to" cheap beer. Just wondering what everybody else's favorite cheap beer is. I am one of those who believes that just because you enjoy an occasional Coors, Bud, Miller, etc..........that does NOT necessarily mean that you don't have a sophisticated palate. Thoughts?
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,573) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

"Cheap" and "macro lager" are not interchangeable terms. My go-to "cheap" beer right now is SN Oktoberfest. Next week it might be something different.

I'll pass on the macro lagers. But that's just me.
  3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,844) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier and growlers of local or regional beers.
  4. Psilocybeer

Psilocybeer Initiate (197) Jul 11, 2017 California

Sierra Nevada 12 packs
    VABA, Phoodcritic, EnronCFO and 16 others like this.
  5. BergBeer

BergBeer Zealot (567) Aug 21, 2013 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Sierra Nevada pale ale.

In a pinch PBR will do.
  6. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,431) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Bittburger Premium and now Saranac Haus lager. Pint cans. Cheap.
    nc41, Chipotle, keithmurray and 2 others like this.
  7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,210) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

My go to are Sierra Nevada, San Tan Brewing & Huss Brewing. I can get them for a fantastic price and they are very good beers. What is funny is a 6 pack of bud is around $7, I can get any of the listed for dollar more, so there is no hesitation for me. A lot of times I can get a 12 pack for around 13-15 bucks so that is very good in my mind.
    Troutbeerbum and Badfish like this.
  8. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,201) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

SN Torpedo is my cheap go-to. $12.99 a twelve pack.
  9. foundersasap

foundersasap Disciple (301) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

If I'm in a cheap mood, I'll pick up a twelve of Sam Adams, or Sierra Nevada, economies of scale saves a couple bucks. Never go macro though!
  10. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (188) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

I too enjoy an Ice Cold banquet every now and then too but my go to cheap beer is Lev black lion $2.00/16oz bottle
    VABA likes this.
  11. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (189) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

DAB half liter cans. Used to be less than 20 a case, but the price has crept up over the years to around 23 a case. Still a great deal and a good beer for parties because it appeals to a large audience.
    #11 YamBag, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Ranbot likes this.
  12. dripa8

dripa8 Aspirant (247) Sep 19, 2014 Kansas
    Beer Trader

New Belgium voodoo ranger imperial ipa. $9 sixer of 9% abv goodness.
    pro100, Chipotle, Txex06 and 4 others like this.
  13. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Zealot (512) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

Coors is a great macro, and my favorite one, but for a less expensive macro I would take PBR, Hamms or Miller High Life.
  14. Dravin

Dravin Disciple (384) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Some offering from SN is my usual go-to cheapish offering. Sure, it's not as cheap as say Hamm's, but I can usually find SN 12-packs on sale for ~$13. If you want to know my AAL go-to, I'm not sure I have one really, but Hamm's, High Life, or Yeungling are what you are likely to find if there is an AAL in my fridge.
    matcris likes this.
  15. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Aspirant (263) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

SNPA, Dales Pale ale, Pinner are all really good and very reasonably priced. Picked up a mixed 12 pack from Deschutes last week for around $15. As for macros I can stomach an occasional PBR.
  16. scream

scream Zealot (511) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Any beer that makes me say Wow ! is cheap for what I got from it !
  17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,126) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Bierstadt has crowlers for $5 here locally. That's pretty inexpensive. I try not to buy "cheap" beer though.
    utopiajane and Haybeerman like this.
  18. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (170) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

It was Duclaw's Serum a few years ago when the local Giant was charging $7.99 a sixer. A double IPA sixer for less than $12 in PA is unheard of. Needless to say, I got quite a few sixers of this. Right now, I'd have to say Tröegs Perpetual IPA.
    utopiajane likes this.
  19. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,510) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I've got a few simple Dos Equis stashed away too, but my usual cheapie beer is PBR. Any of these AALs need to be ice cold to be at they're best. When they warm up a bit, they kinda suck.
    BergBeer, bmugan and matcris like this.
  20. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,449) May 28, 2015 Arkansas

I got a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid sixer yesterday for $8.50 after passing on Stone Enjoy By at $15.50. But nothing beats a 15 pack of Founders All Day IPA or PC Pils at $16.
    SCbrewpubfan and MrUse like this.
  21. MNAle

MNAle Champion (892) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Define "cheap."

Is "popular priced" craft in the definition? (e.g. SN, et al)?

If so, then just about any of the regular lineup from Summit Brewing and/or August Schell for me. Occasionally, something from Bell's or SN. But, looking at my 'fridge right now, my "cheap go to" would be Summit EPA and Schell's Fort Road Helles.

But, if "cheap" = price category of "buy it by the 30-pack AALs", nothing. It is not because I turn my nose up at AALs, I do enjoy them in the right company/occasion, but for myself, I never drink in large enough quantities where that level of "cheap" is ever a consideration.
    utopiajane, Junior, JimKal and 3 others like this.
  22. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (342) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

Southern Star Bombshell Blonde
    Buffalo Bayou More Cowbell
    ilikebeer03 likes this.
  23. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,242) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Pilsner urquell, bitburger, yeungling (when I can get it), DAB, or something along those lines.
  24. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (667) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

30 packs of Hamns and high life.

I only buy better beer when it's in the $25 a case range. Recently victory core , yards and Neshaminy creek core have been $24.99-26.99 a case and very fresh at the place I started to go to.

I mix in Hamns and I'm good. I drink 2-3 beers a day so $ is a consideration, plus I am on the less money side this year. Last expensive thing I bought was a case of High West in December. I would do that again though. Still have 12 left.

DW78715816 and miwestcoaster like this.
  25. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (220) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Steel Reserve-are you man enough?
    ilikebeer03, muchos, tzieser and 6 others like this.
  26. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (667) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Dab dark is $17.99 near me. I think I need to try it

Ranbot likes this.
  27. nc41

Beer Trader

Easily one of the most disgusting brews ever concocted. Antifreeze anyone.
  28. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,284) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

If I'm trying to cut my beer budget I'll go with boulevard, schells, summit, or Sierra Nevada beers. It's not common for me to really want a cheap macro but my favorites are pbr, natty ice, and I always buy genny cream ale whenever I'm in their distro.
  29. BloodInMyHair

BloodInMyHair Initiate (135) Dec 24, 2015 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Absolutely Founders All Day 15 packs for $15.99! Easy to crush and sometimes I can even get them under 12 days old.
  30. stevepat

stevepat Aspirant (294) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Green Flash blonde, $1.99 in 19.2 oz cans all day. Otherwise it's probably something from SN or recently Founders 15 packs for $16. Honestly, at least around here, all of those prices are the same and sometimes cheaper than the macros so it's not hard to choose.
    Kb024 likes this.
  31. pro45

pro45 Aspirant (274) Sep 11, 2016 New York

Old Milwaukee
    Labatt Blue
    Redhook ESB
    Harpoon IPA
    SNPA 12 packs
    Molson Ice
    tzieser, fx20736 and MikeP64 like this.
  32. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,300) May 21, 2008 Colorado

Coors Banquet is always in my fridge. After a trip to the liquor store to score $15 bombers and $10 sixers, I get honey points for a Hamms 30 rack under twenty bucks. Both are consistent, flawless for the style (I know there are people in this community who don't like these styles or who makes them, so no offense) and absolutely crushable.
    #32 Haybeerman, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  33. Haybeerman

In fairness, the Steel Alloy Series is far worse...Unless you think flavored anti freeze is better. I get the budget consideration though. Two 24oz cans for $3 bucks has a certain curb appeal.
    SFACRKnight, nc41 and MikeP64 like this.
  34. Haybeerman

You make a good point...the decision usually does consider both price and occasion.
  35. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,775) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

St. Pauli Girl at $6.79 a six pack or even less if bought by the case. I opt for the unopened case because a sealed cardboard box provides some protection against light.
    utopiajane, DW78715816 and Kb024 like this.
  36. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (485) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Another fan of DAB here for cheap with nice flavor.

And I think DAB Dark is really good by any metric.
    FBarber likes this.
  37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,379) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

pro100, nc41, utopiajane and 6 others like this.
  38. nc41

Beer Trader

39. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,558) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

I don't usually buy cheap beer for the house for myself, plenty there what my friends drink. But when out at non craft places I am going to either get a Coors Banquet for Negra Modelo. Both of those are fine beers that go well with food and are quite refreshing.
    matcris, Squire and SFACRKnight like this.
  40. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,222) Dec 25, 2003 California

Sierra Nevada whatever is seasonal or on sale.

Though since I live in California, Lagunitas can often be as cheap as any macro.