What is your macro light beer of choice?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Aug 15, 2022.

1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Mine is definitely Miller Lite. To me it just has a better taste than Bud or Coors (which are sweet). Miller has a much more 'bread like" taste and while it's not an IPA or a good German Lager it's definitely not foul swill.

I'll grab a Miller when I just want an ice cold can of beer on a warm day in the way I want a Coke. Something quick to get a bit of that good old fashioned beer feeling. It's nostalgic to have it right out of the can.

2. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,819) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Does Amstel count? If not, I like Coors Light. To me it's the least foamy of the bunch. One reason I dislike most light beers isn't because they taste bad or anything. They usually just seem over carbonated and make me feel like a balloon if I have more than one.

DrOfGolf, vabeerguy and Scrapss like this.
  3. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I look at the craft beer that I like and the light macro beer that I like as 2 different things. I see a Miller as an alcoholic Coke if that makes sense. It's a generic cold refreshing drink that can give you a buzz if you pound back a few.

Kinda like going to McDonalds vs a steakhouse for a good burger at lunch. Sometimes I want that double quarter pounder and the salty fries.

DrOfGolf, DCH, bubseymour and 2 others like this.
  4. Domingo

Society

I feel that, no judgement here. I drink normal (non-light) macro lagers all the time. Like I mentioned, there's something about most light ones that bloats me up that doesn't seem to carry over to the non-light versions. Well, that and the normal ones do have a bit more flavor all-around.

DrOfGolf, vabeerguy and schteve like this.
  5. Scrapss

Scrapss Crusader (776) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

My vote is for Miller 64 only because it has just enough flavor to make it worth drinking a few beers and it jives with a Keto/20:4/IF/OMADEOD eating pattern.

I tried the seltzers, other small beers, etc. just does not give me that "beer experience" as well as a few Miller 64's do. I wish I could get ESB or milds in the 3.0%-ish range with this low of carbs and more flavor for a reasonable price.

6. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (164) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Where are all the Busch Light lovers?

8. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,113) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

For taste, Amstel Light. Otherwise, I purchase based on best price (I also except free beer when offered :slight_smile:). Between Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Light, and Mich Ultra (which I believe are 'top 4' in sales now) I would pick Miller Light if they were all priced the same.

vabeerguy likes this.
  9. Resistance88

Resistance88 Defender (657) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Whats a macro light beer?

Luscious_Malfoy, vabeerguy and John_M like this.
  10. Mgh2001

Mgh2001 Initiate (62) Dec 3, 2021
    Trader

Miller High Life is the lightest macro beer I drink.

11. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Poo-Bah (2,652) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

High Life or MGD (same beer different finish)

12. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,418) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

If I had to choose, I'd go with Miller Lite. It's kinda like asking who the nicest SS officer was, though.

13. SILVER

SILVER Aspirant (205) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

I don't have one. If someone offers me one, I'd be polite and accept it, but I would not buy, one.
    So my favorite would be a free one.
    Nice and cold! Ahhh...

14. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (15,725) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

If I'm going light...It's Miller Lite or Coors Light. But if I'm buying cheap macro, it's PBR (not Light).

15. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,935) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Coors Light, Busch Light, I’ll occasionally do a Bud Light. Hell, who am I kidding? I’m not turning down a cold beer no matter what it is. Cheers.

16. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (2,158) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

Would agree with Miller Light. Not sure if it's bready, but I would describe it as a corn type of flavor. Maybe it's not pleasant, but definitely more flavor. More than other macro light lagers. According to my ratings on BeerAdvocate Labatt Blue gets the highest rating. I'll have to go back and try that one again.

vabeerguy, JackHorzempa and Scrapss like this.
  17. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (752) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I’m with a couple other posters, I don’t buy them myself but if I’m offered one or there are some left over in the fridge from my girls buying them, I’ll drink them and don’t really care which one it is, I kinda enjoy all of them for what they are. It’s funny, I can’t say that for some high priced IPAs or such, at least you know what youre getting with cheap light beers. Hell, there were some year old Coors Lights left over at the beach house that were perfectly fine when I had them this summer. If I had to pick, Miller lite I guess would be my choice.

vabeerguy likes this.
  18. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (461) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Miller Lite if I had to drink one.
    I'd often grab one after my shift in the kitchen, as it was cold, quaffable & refreshing.
    Then, I would have a real beer.
    I used to drink Sam Adams Lightship decades ago as a thirst quencher, but I haven't had the new version.

19. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,836) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I differ here. I thought it had a nice malty flavor but unfortunately it is discontinued as far as I know

vabeerguy likes this.
  20. ZAP

Society Trader

I just had this conversation with my wife after biking 45 miles today while pounding a couple Mich Golden Lights in the parking lot afterwards before hitting some brew pubs.

Miller Lite=Most character, flavor and most like a regular AAL

Coors Light and Mich Golden Light.=Best for drinking when thirsty as noted in the circumstance above....

Others:

Busch Light=Water flavored with a touch of beer...I avoid this at all costs.

Regular Mich Light is good. Not a big fan of Bud Light but I can drink it if offered...

Labatt Blue Light is ok....Leinie Light and Grain Belt Premium Light are closer to the Busch Light experience...I'm forgetting many but the best is probably Miller Lite but I also enjoy Coors Light and Mich Golden Light..

Bitterbill, vabeerguy and Scrapss like this.
  21. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,085) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

In the last couple days I have seen a lot of third reich references on beerAdvocate and wonder how one can compare beer to anything of the sort. To be edgy?

carolinabeerguy likes this.
  22. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Ice water.

I either drink or I don't.

23. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,361) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This is me. While I enjoy various craft lagers, I'd rather drink a diet coke or a sparkling water than a light AAL. There's never a time when I'm in the mood for a light AAL.

24. ZAP

Society Trader

I have no qualms with that but personally would much, much prefer a light AAL over those options..several actually...

25. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Devotee (401) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

When it’s been 90s and humid for a month. No rain for two. The grill is searing meat and frowning upon the vegetable skewers.

High life. Bottle. Out of the freezer. delicious

26. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Devotee (436) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

I don't drink macro light beers. I have no problem drinking macro regular beers.

27. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,361) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Everyone should drink what they like, and if there are occasions when you'd prefer to drink a light AAL, you should. Personally, I find light AALS to be insipid, watery, bland and a waste of calories. Hence my reason for preferring a diet coke or sparkling water.

I like the taste of a good lager and don't want or need a watered down version of one. But that's just me. If you enjoy a glass of light AAL, who am I to suggest you drink something else. Cheers!

DrOfGolf, TheBungyo, ZAP and 3 others like this.
  28. thebeeremptor

thebeeremptor Disciple (348) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society Trader

Miller Lite is my preferred.
    I'll take Coors Light if that's not available, I avoid Bud Light (far too sweet).
    For US macros not labeled as "light," it's Hamm's, Montucky or Budweiser.
    For non-US macros, Pacifico with some tacos on a hot summer day is hard to beat.

DrOfGolf, Bitterbill and vabeerguy like this.
  29. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Meyvn (1,187) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

30. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (276) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Rhode Island has Chair 2 Light Lager. Its basically a "craft" version of a macro light lager. Less than 10 bucks a 6 pack. Definitely worth it as a alternative. They also have a light wheat and light IPA.

LilRhody47 and vabeerguy like this.
  31. shadyside

shadyside Devotee (402) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

I have never had a macro light that I liked.

vabeerguy and budsNpils like this.
  32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,828) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I too agree here. For my palate Miller Lite has a more malty/grainy flavor which almost has a nutty quality to it.

I personally do not purchase Light/Lite beers but I have consumed them while attending events/parties.

Cheers!

@defunksta

defunksta and vabeerguy like this.
  33. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,544) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Montucky is a macro? Isn't it just a contract-brew - only around 50k bbl/yr according to the Brewers Association - brewed at City in LaCrosse and, apparently, Avery in CO (inset).
    [​IMG]

34. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,112) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I don't drink macros (or anything owned by AB-InBev) and I don't waste calories on "light" beer unless it's an English mild, a wild ale, or something similar. If I'm in the mood for something light and relatively flavorless, I'll go for a diet Mountain Dew or a bottle of spring water.

vabeerguy, budsNpils and John_M like this.
  35. budsNpils

budsNpils Zealot (585) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Society Trader

Miller or Bud light. I'd never purchase them tho.

vabeerguy likes this.
  36. Domingo

Society

Go figure, I didn't know Avery made Montucky out here. They (currently) brew Prost, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise considering the size of that facility. No clue if things have changed, but the last time I was in La Crosse, nobody had heard of Montucky. They could name every contract item from the common to the obscure, but that one seemed to be a mystery. Apparently they don't (or didn't) sell it there and they don't do tasters of it, either.

Bitterbill and vabeerguy like this.
  37. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Poo-Bah (1,945) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

All I know is Bud Light is the worst of them.

38. thebeeremptor

thebeeremptor Disciple (348) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society Trader

Interesting. I've looked at the label seeing Boulder but never put it together. I never would have guessed it was Avery contract brewing it.

I guess I should say as far as macro in its flavor and target market but yes, their barrelage doesn't really count as macro. My bad.

Bitterbill likes this.
  39. Mugman8

Mugman8 Disciple (379) Sep 30, 2018 New York

My best low calorie beer is Guinness Stout. My favorite for inexpensive, pure clear beer is Weihenstephaner Helles.

40. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,544) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ah, not really. :wink: The term "macro" (like the seemingly disappearing "BMC" ?) is sometimes used as a descriptor for an AAL type of beer, even though both terms were originally used to refer to breweries larger than big :grin: or the 3 former flagship beers that got them that way.

Plus, having only heard the name I'd just never really looked into Montucky until now, and previously the "Cold Snacks" part of the name had me assuming it was some sort of flavored seltzer or FMB.

#40 jesskidden, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    thebeeremptor and Bitterbill like this.