Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

What kind of beer did/does your grandpa drink

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Apr 25, 2013.

1. kingofhop

Yours wasn't the only tear brought to the eye, my friend.

jmgrub likes this.
  2. 19etz55

Black Label.

3. GoatRoyal

Mine used to drink Pearl and Miller High Life. Today, I dont get to see him that much, but I think High Life is still the number 1 choice...he seemed to really enjoy Bitburger too, though.

4. Gregg_Kawakami

5. elsinore

Rheingold and Ballantine.

I also have pix of my folks' wedding rehearsal dinner at my grandparents' house in 1967 ... the guests were drinking Miller High Life, Schlitz and Gablinger's.

6. DelMontiac

Both of my grandfathers were gone before I was born. My mother's dad was a US Army Major who was killed in action at the Korean Battle of the Chosin Reservoir in 1950. My father's dad was killed in a car wreck when my dad was in college. He had abandoned his family of 6 before the kids were out of grade school.

My dad's mother remarried later on in life and I did know him pretty well. He was a German farmer living in a dry county in Arkansas - not ideal for a German guy! He would have my dad bring him several cases of Coors every time we went to see them. He always said that Coors was the best beer in the world.

7. Kerrie

My mom's dad died when she was 12 (so before I was born, obviously) so I don't know what he drank specifically, but I do know he was an alcoholic. That's it.

My dad's dad is still alive and likes Smithwick's. I had it once. Not my thing. Not terrible, but nothing I'd have again.

8. Premo88

Texas Pride

[​IMG]

9. Geegar

Beer Trader

Used to be PBR. Always had a couple in the boat when fishing and one while cleaning the day's catch. A couple years ago he found a Schell's Hopfenmalz in my fridge and since then it has become his "special occasion" beer.

10. JohnSnowNW

Beer Trader

My grandpa didn't really drink beer when I was growing up...he did, however, chew Red Man.

11. cbozInTheMitten

Beer Trader

My Grandpa drank Strohs, and only Strohs. He worked at the brewery in Detroit for a long time, and got my Dad and his 2 brothers jobs there when they were home from school during the summers.

One night, about 40 years ago, my Dad's friend brought some "cool and new" light beer over to share while watching a Lion's game. My Grandpa was offered one, to which he responded "get that crap outa my house. Have a Strohs, then run around the block a few times. Same thing."

12. BradtheGreat7

I unfortunately lost my grandpa on my moms side a few years back and he was just a fine bourbon/single malt scotch drinker. Neat was the only thing I saw him drink. I always remember multiple bottles of Pappy Van Winkle and some kind of 21 year Glenfarclas single malt scotch sitting around. My grandpa on my dads side is the same way. Bourbon and single malt scotch. His go to's are Highland Park 12 and 18 year while his bourbons are Blanton's and various other bourbons from the Buffalo Trace Distillery and Kentucky Bourbon Distillers(KBD). However he has picked up the craft beer trade somewhat. He samples and enjoys a lot of the Russian Imperial Stouts I find. He just split a growler of
    Hoppin' Frog's Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. founders porter and Sierra Nevada's kellerweis are the beers Ive seen him drink the most. He's a whisk(e)y grandpa but still appreciates and enjoys craft beer which I think is awesome considering most men I know his age drink Budweiser original, Coors Original or Miller High Life with most of the old men in my family living the High Life lmao.

13. TTAmod

My father's father didn't really drink beer too much; mostly drank Manhattans and what not. They had a full bar in the basement.

My mother's father didn't drink at all, really.

RIP to both of them and everyone else's grandfathers who have passed.

14. sirtomtom

Köstritzer Schwarzbier

15. ifnkovhg

IIRC I saw him have an occasional Grolsch. There was some Miller High Life in the mix, as well.

16. Rckmo10

Beer Trader

They currently drink anything that is soiled. RIP But my great grandfather always made his own ales.

17. Ruger

Beer Trader

Keystone Light

18. lsummers

My Great Grandfather loved PBR, that was his beer of choice. It's pretty much the only reason why it has a special place in my heart.

19. grrrah

Beer Trader

San Miguel on one side, Johnny Black on the other.

20. Kuemmelbrau

P.O.C. (Pride of Cleveland) and Busch. I still have a few artifacts of their partaken consumptions.

21. hopfenunmaltz

Drewery's and Strohs.

22. BILF

My Grandmother used to drink two tallies (750 ml bottles) of Tooheys Draught for breakfast to tide her over until the pub opened at 10.00 am. Sad but true.

23. BigJim5021

Beer Trader

I'd have to ask my mom if her dad drank anything, as he passed away around '87 when I was a wee one. As for Grandad, I never saw him drink any beers. It was only extra dry gin martinis. One with every meal.

24. belvedere86

Beer Trader

Duvel and Poperings Hommelbier

25. Flashy

my Mothers Dad was a craft brew pioneer of sorts. He was drinking Heinken back in the 60's and liked "foreign" beers. He usually drank Mic though.

26. marquis

My maternal grandfather died in WW1 at the age of 23 , I don't believe he was much of a drinker though. My paternal grandfather rarely drank during his married life (his wife was a Methodist) though after she died bottles of Bass seemed to appear in his house.
    His actual drinking days would have been the mid 1890s until just before WW1 , in the days when the price hadn't increased for 40 years and much beer was strong with massive hop usage.What he made of post WW2 Bass I don't know.

27. jchoffman

I don't remember what my grandfather drank, but my grandmother drank "Red White & Blue"

28. Hanzo

Grandfather didn't drink beer, but my Grandmother is/was always a Bud Light/Miller Lite drinker for as far back as I can remember.

Every once in a while I'll try to get her to try something I'm drinking but she never does, just takes a sniff, makes a cringing face and says no thanks.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe