What kind of Cellar/fridge/wine chiller do you use?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JPick, Jun 21, 2017.

1. JPick

JPick Initiate (126) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

So my very small, very old wine chiller that I was using for my big stouts crapped out this week. That being the case, I'm looking at potentially buying a new one. Anyone have a fridge/chiller that they particularly love? Thanks in advance!

2. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Disciple (322) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

IMO a chest freezer with a temp controller is they way to go.

3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (372) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

If I had the room, I'd like this idea a lot.

4. the_ceeeeg

the_ceeeeg Initiate (132) May 10, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

5. the_ceeeeg

the_ceeeeg Initiate (132) May 10, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've been using it for a little over a year now and haven't had any complaints besides wishing it had more storage room. I've got a good amount of storage but its filled completely.

6. kylenabilcy

kylenabilcy Initiate (147) Aug 10, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I've got a Frigidaire Beverage Center similar to this one, and I like its capacity. I'm not super crazy about how the compressor hasn't really pulled enough moisture out of the interior; I've gotten a little mildew here and there. I think this might be a defect with my specific fridge, though, as I haven't seen any substantial negative reviews speaking to the same issue.

the_ceeeeg likes this.
  7. skeevn

skeevn Initiate (127) Sep 25, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

2x liebherr wkt 6451 ( GRANDCRU )

MrDell likes this.
  8. MrDell

MrDell Disciple (370) Nov 20, 2014 Switzerland
    Beer Trader

Good choice.

I also have 2 Liebherr - a WK4176 Grand Cru and a WT4212 Vinotek.

Im really pleased with them. They are both fairly full at the moment (have around 415 bottles, mix of 330 & 750s)

9. FonyBones

FonyBones Initiate (22) Dec 19, 2015 New York

I've had the Wine Enthusiast silent 28 Bottle wine refrigerator for about a year and am happy with it. Keep both wine and beer in it. Worth noting that it only chills to about 20 degrees below room temperature and requires about 4 inches of clearance to operate efficiently.

10. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (199) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

11. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (199) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

I have a unit similar to that :

https://www.danby.com/en-us/products/entertaining-en-us/dbc039a1bdb/

I use it for overflow when my fridge is full...I'm fairly disappointed in it. I too get condensation and the temp controller doesn't work for crap. Its suppose to have range from 42 f - 57 f. But adjusting the control does nothing.

12. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (364) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Some things to keep in mind when purchasing a fridge:
    1. Most beers DO NOT age well. Keeping beer cold, rather than in a box in a basement in the summer is a much better investment in this long term hobby.
    2. Is something going to go on top of the mini-fridge? If not, get a full size fridge as the space is otherwise wasted.
    3. Most beers DO NOT age well.
    4. Full size fridges can fit 4x-8x times the capacity of a mini-fridge.
    5. Chest freezers do not lend themselves well to looking/admiring beer. It is difficult to tell many bottles by their caps alone. Really annoying, especially when hovering over it trying to decide what to grab!
    6. Have I mentioned most beers DO NOT age well!
    7. Remember, this is an expensive hobby. Don't let your $ sit in a box in the basement during a Missouri summer!
    http://www.sears.com/kenmore-16.7-c...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPaP__PB5tQCFVU0aQodEpsPWA

13. BigIslandfarmer

I have my bottles in boxes that I numbered and use a site that lets me keep track of what box they are in. Never had a problem knowing exactly where the beer I want to drink is... I am very happy with my $200 chest freezer/temp controller combo.

14. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (364) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

So your saying, you can
    • Number all the bottles
    • Make a spreadsheet
    • Write down the location of every bottle in spreadsheet
    • Refer to said spreadsheet
    or
    • Open door
    • Drool
    • Pick bottle
    I think I'll stick with the full size fridge, but hey, whatever works right! I'm just here to offer the OP my opinion.

15. BigIslandfarmer

$200 vs $400-$600+... plus all that opening and drooling exposes the bottles to light & temperature changes.

Jwolf55219 likes this.
  16. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Devotee (469) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Beer Trader

I use the Midea double zone wine fridge. I removed the bottom shelves to be able to store aging beers upright. I use the top shelves to store the short-term-life beers. It has temperature control in both zones and keeps humidity between 40%-60%. The front glass door is filtered to protect from light. I am very pleased with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beer_Economicus likes this.