What Northwest beer are you drinking now? (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jan 1, 2020.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,927) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Pliny the Beat.

That's my new Hip-Hop name.

Finishing up a Three Magnets Old Skook. Very nice beer (same batch as the one that @kemoarps reviewed, and our reviews were fairly similar), but damn, were there a shit-ton of floaties in there!

66jzmstr, vurt, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,518) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Really hoping I don't need to drive over to Twist to get a glass or two this year.

Reidrover, NWer and beertunes like this.
  3. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,347) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

At the release party for Iron Goat's Iron Hammer (a coffee stout brewed with coffee from local roaster Thomas Hammer) and listening to the mighty Meat Sweats, partially seen in the background.

[​IMG]

Reidrover, jakecattleco, vurt and 3 others like this.
  4. beertunes

Society Trader

"Meat Sweats"? They got a CD?

vurt likes this.
  5. rrock44

rrock44 Disciple (342) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Hazy L arrived in cans yesterday to the TC, so I had to give it a shot. First impression was wow this is crisp and hoppy. Don’t really get any NE style characteristics (I am no pro on that, but it is unique compared to other PNW hazies I have had). Might just call this an ipa.

Anyway, I was trying to figure out what the initial flavors were that I was supposed to be tasting...the box says pina colada (not a fan of those), grapefruit, lemon squares, and strawberry candy. Anyway, different tastes to me; is it the Sabro hops? Never got these flavors from Citra. Anyway, might make a good summer thirst quencher.

https://imgur.com/a/jdGRgIB

6. rrock44

That stout looks up my alley. How’s it compare to dormancy?

7. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (176) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

I'm not sure which batch it is, but there's a bunch of cans floating around Portland in the past couple weeks. I picked one up last week but wasn't a huge fan. Kind of tasty musty and oxidized with not a lot of depth (and I like barleywines!). Although at $6 for a 16oz can of barleywine I guess I can't complain. Definitely had the floaties, though :grin:

Reidrover, vurt and beertunes like this.
  8. Mark_Griffin

Mark_Griffin Initiate (88) Sep 21, 2014 Washington

Matryoshka Bourbon Imperial Stout

jason_nwx, vurt and rrock44 like this.
  9. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,080) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Mrs. vurt and I are Thursdaying at Orenco Taphouse.

I started with a pint of Tied House Lager, a collab between Modern Times, Culmination, and Fair State. I enjoyed the soft, bready finish, but overall it felt like rather less than the sum of its parts, given the participants. IPAs are easy. Lagers are hard.

Mrs. vurt had the Emotional Support Peacock hazy IPA from Sunriver, and gave it a thumbs up.

10. IPAs-n-Stouts_OhMy

IPAs-n-Stouts_OhMy Initiate (62) Dec 19, 2018 Washington

Two night ago it was a Gigantic MASSIVE 'Cognac' purchased at a great bottle shop in Mountain View, CA

Tonight it's a MASSIVE 'Port' purchased from the same bottle shop.

This will be my night cap in about an hour - the perfect end to another day of controlled chaos

Reidrover, jakecattleco, vurt and 2 others like this.
  11. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (496) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Rogue’s Double Time Cherry Lime was...not for me. I bought it against my better judgement.

Gigantic’s Sassy Pony is much, much better.

12. vurt

Society

Next up: There were 2 lonely cans of Block 15 Dab Lab Juice Joint in the cooler. Mrs. vurt and I gave them good homes. In our bellehs.

13. vurt

Society

At home on the couch now, enjoying my last can of Occidental NW Pilsner.

The wife cracked open the can of Ex Novo Did You Throw a Trident? IPA she picked up at Orenco. Pretty sure she just made a yummy sound.

14. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,631) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

New Deschutes beer..bottle of "Luna Jo"..cold brew coffee lager.
    It's actually pretty darned good..if you like coffee. I do.

15. samatheis

samatheis Initiate (12) Jan 21, 2020

Just my ol' standby, Men's Room Original Red by Elysium.

16. rrock44

TGIF. These five day work weeks are a killer; next week only 4 :wink: Starting off the day with a brewery I have a lot of love (being V day and all) for. Fremont’s new seasonal...it is interesting. Not sure what is more interesting - the flavor profile or the can art.

https://imgur.com/a/lVyJrf5

vurt and jakecattleco like this.
  17. beertunes

Society Trader

Elysian.

18. beertunes

Society Trader

Popped open my bottle of Vamanos! from Ale Apothecary. From the label "sour beer for sour times. Named in opposition of Cheeto Jesus". Batch Jan 20 2017. Nice funk popped right out of the bottle at uncorking, followed by some wood and wine from the barrels. A bot of floral or pine on the palate that wasn't in the nose. A quite excellent beer. I believe that this came courtesy of @sharpski . Wouldn't mind having more. Maybe he'll make it again as a "going away" gift in November?

afrokaze, sharpski, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  19. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,858) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I am tired, grumpy, haven't slept well in days and am totally looking forward to the can of Blimey That's Bitter I picked up today. Sometimes, a boozy, brash kick in the teeth is refreshing and invigorating.

20. beertunes

Society Trader

After that big bottle of funky, sour beer beer, I needed something a bit different. A bottle of HotD Doggie Claws, 2011, was about as different as I had at hand. Damn fine beer.

Separate question: with the news today that all Pooh-Bahs are now Society members, that means we can change our screen name. I've wanted to change mine for a very long time, but it wasn't an option. Now it is. What should my new screen name be?

jakecattleco, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  21. rrock44

22. vurt

Society

Mrs. vurt and I are celebrating V Day with hockey at Moda Center, watching the Portland Winterhawks open a can of whoop-ass on the Spokane Chiefs. (Nothing against the Chiefs personally. But they look a little too much like the Canadiens, and as a Kings fan I got no time for that.)

Anyway, the Sizzle Pie booths have Wayfinder taps. We had Relapse IPA in the first period and Flower in the Kettle here in the third.

Reidrover and rrock44 like this.
  23. beertunes

Society Trader

Jealousy is soo unbecoming.

[​IMG]

DefenCorps likes this.
  24. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,631) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Drinking a bottle of Buoy Baltic Porter. A style you dont see much of anymore so kudos to Buoy.
    Nice Baltic but not top of the class

sharpski, jason_nwx and DefenCorps like this.
  25. DefenCorps

Society Trader

BeerTunes. Definitely BeerTunes. Like them high class folk with fancy shift keys and capital letters.

26. beertunes

Society Trader

See, that's a big part of it. At the time, I thought that improper usage was how one did things on tha intratoobz.

I was new(ish) to online life.

Also, I put about 7 seconds thought into it. I like beer, I like music: beertunes.

Shrug.

I use a different screen name on every site that I'm active on. I've adapted to the modern on-line world. I think I can do better here.

So. Many. Shrugs.

DefenCorps and vurt like this.
  27. PNW

PNW Initiate (151) Dec 23, 2019 Washington
    Society Trader

Partial Eclipse CDA from The Good Society

vurt, beertunes and Reidrover like this.
  28. beertunes

Society Trader

Did you steal @BuckeyeOne s avatar? :wink:

PNW and BuckeyeOne like this.
  29. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (482) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

Not really Northwest, as I’m in Japan, but two tallboys of happoshu, one by Suntory and the other by Yebisu, from 7-11. Neither of which I’ll miss, but glad to try the style. The sesame and chicken skin-flavored potato chips I washed them down with got high marks, though.

afrokaze, beertunes, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  30. NWer

NWer Crusader (791) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Teddy Bear

31. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Crusader (777) Mar 9, 2008 Washington
    Society

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

beertunes likes this.
  32. PNW

PNW Initiate (151) Dec 23, 2019 Washington
    Society Trader

I mean, it’s a pretty big mountain. Enough for two avatars at least.

33. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,373) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

Not Really a Curmudgeon

34. vurt

Society

Well, I got to Wayfinder too late to try their new smoked bock from the zwickel, and it wasn't on tap. But that's okay. I'll come back Wednesday to pick up cans.

Right now I'm at Breakside Slabtown, drinking a glass of Hazelnut Super Stout (collab with Fremont, a double American stout conditioned on toasted coconut and hazelnuts).

A bit too sweet for me, and doesn't have much hazelnut flavor, but the coconut is very good and this beer keeps its 11.1% abv very well hidden.

35. beertunes

Society Trader

Maybe I'll confuse things and make this my new avatar:

[​IMG]

36. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,203) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

We just opened a bottle of Decapitator, a bourbon barrel-aged Doppelbock from Buoy down in Astoria. Listed on BA as no longer brewed, our server Heather said they brought it back as a new beer by demand. It's a hefty 10.3% ABV and lots of good stuff going on with this one. We bought ours at the brewery in mid-November. Just got to it today, a rain-soaked Saturday. It's not the best BA Doppel, but a good solid contender. Time to put the steaks on the grill!

#396 NickSMpls, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Reidrover and vurt like this.
  37. DefenCorps

Society Trader

It annoys me when I order an IPA and it turns out to be a hazy one. Georgetown's I-5, which I gather is brewed with Migration, is a tasty one but lacks the bitterness I was looking forward to.

38. Naikoon

Naikoon Initiate (49) May 25, 2018 Washington

Then what's the act all
    about? Gotta admit it's
    pretty convincing.

39. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,373) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Society Trader

Go have a beer with him. You'll see.

jakecattleco, NWer, John_M and 2 others like this.
  40. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (496) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

All the lagers today. Ex Novo Witch Window, Gigantic Project Pilsner Citra, and Breakside Honey Mate were all fine. Deschutes Luna Jo was quite tasty.